Jump to content

Mad Hatter tries not to self destruct


Recommended Posts

Ok gang, here's the deal. My brain is a dumpster fire, I don't actually want to do a challenge, in fact I have a burning desire to press the big, shiny, red button and self destruct. 

giphy.gif

 

Since my christmas wish of a boatload of drugs was not granted by santa, I guess I'll have to find a different way to cope.

 

Here's the challenge.

I will attempt one act of self care each day. Can be anything as long as it's met with resistance and away from the dark side. If that goes well enough I'll add in the additional categories of eating foods with a vegetable and moving my butt. Maybe. 

 

I wish I had more to offer but alas I've fallen a long way. 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Pl5WJogbwC-u8_xou1S

  • Like 16
  • That's Metal 1
Link to post

Damn you and your bogarting, Santa.

 

Hope care comes easier to you as we go. ❤️ 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Link to post
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here's the challenge.

I will attempt one act of self care each day. Can be anything as long as it's met with resistance and away from the dark side. If that goes well enough I'll add in the additional categories of eating foods with a vegetable and moving my butt. Maybe. 

 

I wish I had more to offer but alas I've fallen a long way. 

 

Batman We Fall So We Can Learn To Pick Ourselves Up GIF - Batman  WeFallSoWeCanLearnToPickOurselvesUp - Discover & Share GIFs

 

Self-care is a great way of doing that. Just make sure you use a definition of self-care that works for you, not one that the rest of the world says is the best one. The rest of the world has no idea what you need.

  • Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Link to post

Challenges are for doing the next job in front of us, whether it's recovery or life or mental health, or whatever it is. Just the thing on the plate now. So this is a perfect challenge. 100%.

 

May I suggest a Pratchett book, particularly of the early Vimes persuasion?

 

May I also suggest asking yourself if the conditions of lockdown are a contributing factor, and need some creative offsetting?

  • Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Link to post

Thanks all for being here. It means a lot that I haven't managed to scare you off yet. ❤️

 

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Do you have any plans for the future to dream about to cheer you up?

Nope. The only thing I hope for right now is that my mood will magically flip for longer than 36 hours.

 

34 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

Batman We Fall So We Can Learn To Pick Ourselves Up GIF - Batman  WeFallSoWeCanLearnToPickOurselvesUp - Discover & Share GIFs

 

Self-care is a great way of doing that. Just make sure you use a definition of self-care that works for you, not one that the rest of the world says is the best one. The rest of the world has no idea what you need.

I must be a slow learner. :P 

 

I haven't thought about my definition. Right now it's something like "do something today that tomorrow's me can build on". Today it was emptying the dishwasher so that I can clear up my kitchen tomorrow so that I can comfortably cook at some point.

  • Like 4
Link to post
4 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Challenges are for doing the next job in front of us, whether it's recovery or life or mental health, or whatever it is. Just the thing on the plate now. So this is a perfect challenge. 100%.

 

May I suggest a Pratchett book, particularly of the early Vimes persuasion?

 

May I also suggest asking yourself if the conditions of lockdown are a contributing factor, and need some creative offsetting?

❤️

 

Absolutely, always.

 

It's a semi regular cycle made worse by lockdown. And in this moment parents, still coughing and Finnish winter. But those will pass. It will all pass. 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Absolutely, always.

 

Then I will suggest Guards Guards or Men at Arms for picking oneself up from a low place, and Night Watch for surviving the long, dark winter by doing the job in front of you. Perhaps better yet, just read all the Watch books in order. Might as well. ;)

 

I would also suggest that your self-care, while very practical and good self-care, could benefit from taking Finnish winter and drastically increasing the amounts of twinkly lights, pajamas, hot drinks, good books, cinnamon spiced things, and cozy nights indoors. I read this article recently, and, based on my recent experience, can't fault it (except for featuring some pretty dippy artists, because recording tummy gurgles is weird). It's not a solution, because SAD is a thing, but it's possibly a reduction of the problem. And the hot drinks and reading could assist with the cough. Books are a well-known cure.

 

We're in different time zones, which is awkward, but I'm up for regular winter hibernation planning on the evenings, if you want to hibernate festively, too. I'm having the worst time sleeping, and while it doesn't fit my challenge theme, I may carry over my winter hibernation interludes, because they worked.

  • Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Link to post

I concur with Sarakingdoms's watch-books-in-order prescription.

I am also prepared to engage in any conversation on any topic, if you want to talk about something else. Like exactly what hat would best fit a wolfhound, or how many chickens it would take to eat a 6 litre bread pudding in under 35 seconds, or the right way to breath. Anything.

Every day that you do a self care thing to make you better off, is a glorious victory. May you have many.

  • Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post

This thread is already the most heartwarming this challenge  ❤️ 

you’re in my thoughts (mostly because I’m still considering the kidnapping for hug therapy thing) and I am also available if you need anything

  • Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to post
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I haven't thought about my definition. Right now it's something like "do something today that tomorrow's me can build on". Today it was emptying the dishwasher so that I can clear up my kitchen tomorrow so that I can comfortably cook at some point.

 

I have it on good authority that "anything that works for you" is a very accurate definition of the concept of self care.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Link to post
8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thanks all for being here. It means a lot that I haven't managed to scare you off yet. ❤️

It takes a lot to scare us off. (Also, I feel you. I have worried that I have scared people off too, but I don't think it's happened yet. And I don't think it will for you, either.)

  • Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

Link to post

*hugs*

animals spooning hug GIF

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
On 12/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, sarakingdom said:

Then I will suggest Guards Guards or Men at Arms for picking oneself up from a low place, and Night Watch for surviving the long, dark winter by doing the job in front of you. Perhaps better yet, just read all the Watch books in order. Might as well. ;)

 

I would also suggest that your self-care, while very practical and good self-care, could benefit from taking Finnish winter and drastically increasing the amounts of twinkly lights, pajamas, hot drinks, good books, cinnamon spiced things, and cozy nights indoors. I read this article recently, and, based on my recent experience, can't fault it (except for featuring some pretty dippy artists, because recording tummy gurgles is weird). It's not a solution, because SAD is a thing, but it's possibly a reduction of the problem. And the hot drinks and reading could assist with the cough. Books are a well-known cure.

 

We're in different time zones, which is awkward, but I'm up for regular winter hibernation planning on the evenings, if you want to hibernate festively, too. I'm having the worst time sleeping, and while it doesn't fit my challenge theme, I may carry over my winter hibernation interludes, because they worked.

Finished the first book today and loaded up my kindle with the rest! 😄

 

It's interesting they call hygge a Nordic concept (in the beginning of the article, they change it to Danish later) when the Finnish attitude is completely different, which takes a much more stoic approach of dress warm and go outside anyway. But it's a great reminder and I will attempt to enjoy more of all those things, though at the moment I still have a hard time feeling it...

 

That would be nice. 🙂 Right now being social is also still very difficult and I'm also suffering from a messed up sleep schedule, but maybe it can work out soon!

 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, Harriet said:

I concur with Sarakingdoms's watch-books-in-order prescription.

I am also prepared to engage in any conversation on any topic, if you want to talk about something else. Like exactly what hat would best fit a wolfhound, or how many chickens it would take to eat a 6 litre bread pudding in under 35 seconds, or the right way to breath. Anything.

Every day that you do a self care thing to make you better off, is a glorious victory. May you have many.

A cloche, just one really big chicken, in then out.  Or was it out then in? 

I must remember this! Thank you.

 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:48 PM, KB Girl said:

This thread is already the most heartwarming this challenge  ❤️ 

you’re in my thoughts (mostly because I’m still considering the kidnapping for hug therapy thing) and I am also available if you need anything

I don't know why it keeps amazing me. You're all wonderful. Honestly part of me felt undeserving*, but then I realized that just because it's my thread it doesn't make it about me. It's really all about the community. ❤️ 

 

*After way overthinking this I also came to the conclusion that the idea of deserving or not makes no sense and it's a terrible way of phrasing things in all cases I could think of.

 

😄🤗 I really look forward to the day when we can travel again.

 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:16 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I have it on good authority that "anything that works for you" is a very accurate definition of the concept of self care.

Perfect.

 

On 12/31/2020 at 5:11 AM, juliebarkley said:

It takes a lot to scare us off. (Also, I feel you. I have worried that I have scared people off too, but I don't think it's happened yet. And I don't think it will for you, either.)

I've noticed! I really should know by now. Guess I'm a slow learner. 😛

 

10 hours ago, Lara said:

*hugs*

animals spooning hug GIF

🤗😍

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Finished the first book today and loaded up my kindle with the rest! 😄

 

Excellent! Anything stand out? Favorite moments, stuff that spoke to you?

 

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But it's a great reminder and I will attempt to enjoy more of all those things, though at the moment I still have a hard time feeling it...

 

I was, too. If I hadn't bought a Christmas tree back in October in a particularly clearsighted "I will celebrate all the holidays, fuck covid" moment, I wouldn't have bothered. I got it all up at literally the last minute, was still getting stuff onto the tree Christmas morning, and it was like shit transformed. I still have presents under it, and a bin of crochet and coloring books. I'm going to keep the holiday snack bowls stocked under it. I've literally slept in flickering tree candlelight, because I can. I'm putting on more bells and gilded pine cones. It will be my winter tree, and it will stay as long as winter. So not feeling it is a thing that can benefit from a little trial and error to find the right headology trigger. :)

 

20 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That would be nice. 🙂 Right now being social is also still very difficult and I'm also suffering from a messed up sleep schedule, but maybe it can work out soon!

 

I understand, and my sleep schedule is also terrible, so doubly tricky. In the Hogswatch challenge, it was super helpful for me even to make the list of things I would do to plan and seasonally theme the short winter hibernations, so it was An Event. I wasn't committing to every night, or a routine, but one small celebration of sleep and winter coziness, and the plan was just enough to get me a little into it most times. So if you were up for it, we could just write up some lists in our threads, but, like, with more comradely togetherness. Not even necessarily committing to an extra act of self-care, just... practicing planning one.

 

tree window GIF

  • Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Link to post
54 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's interesting they call hygge a Nordic concept (in the beginning of the article, they change it to Danish later)

 

Even more so considering that the word "hygge" means something completely different in Swedish... 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Even more so considering that the word "hygge" means something completely different in Swedish... 

 

I see a bum bag/fanny pack translation here...

  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines