Mad Hatter tries not to self destruct

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh wow that's awesome! What were your favourite/most perspective or life changing parts?

For Pole/dancing in general: just the general way she sees movement, I haven't really started to see floorwork as shifting weight stuff before I did those three days and one of the pole workshops really helped make those aerial rotations (on a static pole) click.

For life: All that flowing on the floor made me want to "go with the flow" in my life as well and so far it works pretty good. xD  She also influenced my own style of teaching (which is a quite substantial part of my life if we aren't in lockdown xD). She is just such a huge role model. ❤️ Love her. :D 

Also: new music to dance to. xD I was always really narrow in my taste of music and those few days really broadened my horizon. ^^ 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

I'd like to up the ante to more than 36 hours of not garbage mood! But it's indeed ticking! :D

Hey, it's a five week challenge. The goal is to improve. Let's get a couple of 36s and see about a 48. :)

You know what, I've done 10x more today than in weeks and I'm already really pooped! And my belly's full of tasty brain foods (chilli garlicky pasta with prawns, kale and spinach). I don't want to jinx it but I might only need a nice cup of tea.

I wish I had a bath tub though!

A shower is also nice, I find, though one doesn't linger as long. But a nice cup of tea and a few pages of Pratchett sounds delightful.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Dancing for release shouldn't be goal oriented! That's the beauty of it. 

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Exactly! If a goal is needed, the goal to "feel good while dancing" works, but mostly, dancing for release is just dancing for the joy of dancing.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Intellectually, I agree with you! In practice, my brain just goes, "how does that even work, I do not know the steps to accomplish that and tick it off the list, versus just flailing around like a prat, so we're not going to... let's think about mopping the floor instead".

Yeahhh.. I'm with @sarakingdom on this one and will leave random acts of dance to other folks :D

• Like 1
15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Intellectually, I agree with you! In practice, my brain just goes, "how does that even work, I do not know the steps to accomplish that and tick it off the list, versus just flailing around like a prat, so we're not going to... let's think about mopping the floor instead".

Hmmmm if done right, dancing (aka rolling around on the floor) and mopping (ok sweeping) the floor aren't too different... :D Both get the floor a little cleaner. :D Also one can totally dance WHILE mopping the floor. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Hmmmm if done right, dancing (aka rolling around on the floor) and mopping (ok sweeping) the floor aren't too different... :D Both get the floor a little cleaner. :D

This is the sort of efficiency I'm all about. I'm in.  Let me find my fuzziest clothes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

0f4fe5c2aa8023704e9f778ed64c1204.jpg

Hatter, did you:

1. Patrol the streets of Ankh-Morpork all night, rain dripping down your helmet?
  2. Have a quiet evening in with Sybil, with your feet up in badly-darned socks?
  3. You know... s-word?

And are you:

1. In the gutter, because the city is a wossname?
  2. Doing paperwork with great reluctance and much muttering?
  3. Gleefully chasing miscreants?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Also one can totally dance WHILE mopping the floor. :D

As a bonus, the top of the mop handle is an excellent microphone prop for singing along with the chorus of the songs you are dancing to.

Note that imitating Freddie Mercury's way of swinging the microphone around is not recommended if the mop is wet.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

As someone who has always loved dancing, and have thaught a few basic moves to her less dance-inclined friends, I always love seeing people let go regardless of how they are "flailing their body about". Especially loved it when my fellow (computer) nerds did it.

That being said, I do love countries (like my birth country) with folk dances. (And standard dances like the macarena.) They give everyone something to do to music.

When I was little, the basic folk dance of the area was thaught to all of the kids in primary school (probably still is) :) Lots of fun! Everyone does a circle dance on New Year's eve, for example.

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

On 1/3/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Doubt it, you literally play with your kids!

Hah, no I don't. I'll play games with her, like board games.. or word games.. or chase her around the park... but those all have a goal/ulterior motive.

I don't do free play. 

Though- a couple years back you inspired me to have a dance warmup, I still do that sometimes :) though again, ulterior motive.. warming up. 

Even just playing computer games- I'm just not interested if there isn't a set of achievements to get or a ranking ladder to climb. 

ETA: it's highly annoying- I wanted to pick up a creative hobby, like sketching or playing the piano.. but then I'm thinking- I'll practice really hard and get this good and then I can do this or this with it... uuugugggh. Just do it for the joy of it dammit! So I try to let those lofty goals go- and woosh, there goes my interest in any of it. 

• Like 3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl fixes the batcaves

my instagram - my gym's instagram

8 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

He sure did! And he wasn't much of a dancer either. I'm pretty sure all he wanted was for a couple of more years to pass so he could retire...

Oh, maaaann. The person who taught us dance was a folk dance teacher that only teaches dance and loves it. :) Afaik all of us had a lot of fun.

(It's just part of culture. In the past in the villages people courted each other during the dances :D but mostly there is a community forming element.

EDIT: i.e. you often dance side by side in principle, even when there is boy-girl in couples choreo. 

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hah, no I don't. I'll play games with her, like board games.. or word games.. or chase her around the park... but those all have a goal/ulterior motive.

I don't do free play. 

Though- a couple years back you inspired me to have a dance warmup, I still do that sometimes :) though again, ulterior motive.. warming up. 

Even just playing computer games- I'm just not interested if there isn't a set of achievements to get or a ranking ladder to climb. 

ETA: it's highly annoying- I wanted to pick up a creative hobby, like sketching or playing the piano.. but then I'm thinking- I'll practice really hard and get this good and then I can do this or this with it... uuugugggh. Just do it for the joy of it dammit! So I try to let those lofty goals go- and woosh, there goes my interest in any of it. 

Oh hey, it's me!!

• Like 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Love the dance talks. :) Always happy to see you entertain yourself when I don't have anything to say. :D

On 1/3/2021 at 9:46 PM, Defining said:

I hear ya! I'm at at the point where I don't even bother with trying to find enthusiasm anymore, I've just been pushing through (with middling success) - but I think it's a great idea to give yourself some space and air to chill out, and the self-care low-key goal for this challenge is awesome.

That makes kinda me sad to hear. :( At least I hope that it's temporary and that it doesn't spill over to your real life. There's nothing wrong with a job that pays the bills and supports hobbies. But I do hope you find enthusiasm for some things. 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:42 PM, Epsilonte said:

For Pole/dancing in general: just the general way she sees movement, I haven't really started to see floorwork as shifting weight stuff before I did those three days and one of the pole workshops really helped make those aerial rotations (on a static pole) click.

For life: All that flowing on the floor made me want to "go with the flow" in my life as well and so far it works pretty good. xD  She also influenced my own style of teaching (which is a quite substantial part of my life if we aren't in lockdown xD). She is just such a huge role model. ❤️ Love her. :D 

Also: new music to dance to. xD I was always really narrow in my taste of music and those few days really broadened my horizon. ^^ 

That's awesome! A little off topic, but are you familiar with Katy Bowman's work? Marlo's mentioned her a few times as an influence in her movement philosophy, and you might also find her work interesting. She's a bio mechanist, so less for pole and more for general movement and physio work. :) 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:02 PM, sarakingdom said:

0f4fe5c2aa8023704e9f778ed64c1204.jpg

Hatter, did you:

1. Patrol the streets of Ankh-Morpork all night, rain dripping down your helmet?
  2. Have a quiet evening in with Sybil, with your feet up in badly-darned socks?
  3. You know... s-word?

And are you:

1. In the gutter, because the city is a wossname?
  2. Doing paperwork with great reluctance and much muttering?
  3. Gleefully chasing miscreants?

I managed the s-word buuuut then I woke up in the gutter. :( I ate the ginger bread ice cream and drank the hot potions, cozied up by the candles and walked in the snow. But the gutter it is. 

How are you doing?

23 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I don't do free play. 

There's nothing wrong with having an ulterior motive if it leads to a bit of play as one of the outcomes. :) 

15 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's awesome! A little off topic, but are you familiar with Katy Bowman's work? Marlo's mentioned her a few times as an influence in her movement philosophy, and you might also find her work interesting. She's a bio mechanist, so less for pole and more for general movement and physio work. :) 

Haven't looked into her yet, but I will, thanks for the hint. :D She sounds pretty awesome. 

10 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

Haven't looked into her yet, but I will, thanks for the hint. :D She sounds pretty awesome. 

Her old stuff is a lot more focused on biomechanics and her new more on general life movement and movement ecology and the tone is quite different. Not better or worse, but different. Just so you know. :) 

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I managed the s-word buuuut then I woke up in the gutter. :( I ate the ginger bread ice cream and drank the hot potions, cozied up by the candles and walked in the snow. But the gutter it is. 

Congratulations on the s-word, and on the extensive wintry self-care! Those are wins. Things like the walk will have a cumulative effect, you may not get the improvement now, but it's doing good. (I will make that argument for the ice cream and hot potions and candles, too, but I think we both know that's with less scientific justification. Unless we can make a case for temporary modifications in neurochemistry, or changing the commonly used neural pathways... yeah, I think we've scienced that sufficiently.)

What did we get the clock up to, including the s-word? That will give us a baseline for the start of the challenge.

The gutter is rough. It is definitely a wossname. Hmm. Have we been through the usual vitamin D and magnesium suggestions? I can't recall. Also, do you have a sense of how big an s-word deficit you're running?

• Like 1

How are you doing?

Oh, I missed this one. Uh... I  don't actually know. And perhaps external signs point to that being a thing I should pay attention to. So. Um. It's possible I'm about to accidentally wander into the Shades. I should maybe find another way back to the watch house.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Congratulations on the s-word, and on the extensive wintry self-care! Those are wins. Things like the walk will have a cumulative effect, you may not get the improvement now, but it's doing good. (I will make that argument for the ice cream and hot potions and candles, too, but I think we both know that's with less scientific justification. Unless we can make a case for temporary modifications in neurochemistry, or changing the commonly used neural pathways... yeah, I think we've scienced that sufficiently.)

What did we get the clock up to, including the s-word? That will give us a baseline for the start of the challenge.

The gutter is rough. It is definitely a wossname. Hmm. Have we been through the usual vitamin D and magnesium suggestions? I can't recall. Also, do you have a sense of how big an s-word deficit you're running?

Your ice cream science is sound. (Says the physicist who didn't even do high school bio. But since bio is applied chem and bio is applied chem I'm basically an expert) 

The s-word numbers are fine, I just s for as long as I want. It's just very erratic in timing.

I'm taking both vit D and an iron supplement because of lab work, and Mg just in case. But I don't know, it always feels so random what my mood is doing. Hoping for better luck tomorrow!

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh, I missed this one. Uh... I  don't actually know. And perhaps external signs point to that being a thing I should pay attention to. So. Um. It's possible I'm about to accidentally wander into the Shades. I should maybe find another way back to the watch house.

Paying attention to yourself is a good thing. Especially considering how much you've been emphasising the importance of feeling those pesky emotion things. :P (Which I also did as an attempt at self care and it sucked)

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Your ice cream science is sound. (Says the physicist who didn't even do high school bio. But since bio is applied chem and bio is applied chem I'm basically an expert) 

The s-word numbers are fine, I just s for as long as I want. It's just very erratic in timing.

I'm taking both vit D and an iron supplement because of lab work, and Mg just in case. But I don't know, it always feels so random what my mood is doing. Hoping for better luck tomorrow!

Excellent. Now when you eat the winter ice cream, you can do so with the warm glow of satisfaction that you are preparing your brain for better things.

Good on the s-word numbers. So you do get the brain repair time. If you ever feel like naps, or like lying down and doing nothing but listen to music, I wouldn't hesitate. Brain repair time. (There's a really good book on rest that came out recently. It's mostly aimed at knowledge workers being knowledge workers, but I think it also has some bearing on brains generally getting and keeping their braining on track.)

Excellent on the supplements. I wouldn't be shy about upping the D. Tank and I are both around 5000IU a day, and, honestly, even more doesn't hurt. It's winter, you feel like shit, throw some D at it.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, KB Girl said:

Uggh, I hear you on this

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

Good on the s-word numbers. So you do get the brain repair time. If you ever feel like naps, or like lying down and doing nothing but listen to music, I wouldn't hesitate. Brain repair time. (There's a really good book on rest that came out recently. It's mostly aimed at knowledge workers being knowledge workers, but I think it also has some bearing on brains generally getting and keeping their braining on track.)

I sometimes do just listen to music, as a kind of meditation. I try to avoid naps if I can, as they can be quite dysregulating. I think naps in this phase are less about needing rest and more about not wanting to be awake, so they're less effective in this case. 

That's about what I'm taking now too, I upped it when I got sick. At least they taste like candy so they don't bother me too much like normal pills. :D 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Paying attention to yourself is a good thing. Especially considering how much you've been emphasising the importance of feeling those pesky emotion things. :P (Which I also did as an attempt at self care and it sucked)

How dare you throw my own very wise words back at me! :D
Yeah, I haven't been noticing mood changes, but I've been noticing a lot of focus slip and maybe some self-care slip. Or maybe not some self-care slip, it's confusing. I'm not sure if it's a bad ADHD patch, or what, but it does need some investigation. It's focus slip to a degree I consider a signal of something.

Trying to figure out the feels is annoying. (I should clarify, I don't mean, like, commune with your sadness and feel it extra strong. I'm anti reinforcing the mental pathways of badness. But using mindfulness to understand it and what it responds to, where your body holds stress, and so on. Find out what it is. Which... sigh, if you say so, I will. I just can't focus long enough to remember that's what I'm doing.) :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines