Year One: The Knightwatch Awakening, episode 1

If there was ever a year when we needed heroes to rise up from the ashes, to remember who they were, and the missions they were called to, it would be 2021.

Hey there guys.  I'm Jon, or as I was known around these parts a long, long time ago, Knightwatch, or Kdub or KW.  I used to be super active on these forums, but fell off in a big way in recent years.  I've had a number of attempted restarts since then, but I keep falling out of the habit of posting and lose my way, and for that I'm sorry.  I miss y'all.  I miss the community, and I miss what the Rebellion stands for.  And, holy hell, do we ever need to band together lately, yeah?

Though I've fallen off the forums, I've stayed active in my fitness (and nerdly) pursuits.  I'm actually a coach at a local gym, and can still get in workouts regularly, but I feel anything but truly fit.  I'm pretty strong, sure, and maybe it's just my age talkin', but I need to take a full spectrum approach to this stuff again.  I need to lean out, I need to work my flexibility and mobility, I need to think in terms of HEALTH as much as I do just lifting weights, and I need to regain some good old fashioned athleticism and durability.  I sure as hell need to eat better, too, and to build more positive habits.  

And maybe more than anything, I need to pull myself out of this mental and spiritual and emotional drudgery I've been in.  I'm talking even before this trashfire year.  I need to find a spark, get excited about the potentials of the world and of life, fight for something bigger than myself, and wake up and remember that life is more than going through the motions.

***Alright, so the next chuck is more about me and what gets me motivated.  I wouldn't blame you if you skipped it, but I'm kinda braindumping a lot here for my own benefit as well!  It's not all specific to this Challenge in particular, but broadstrokes about how I'm thinking about the coming year, snapshots of who I want to be.***

So what gets me fired up?  What can I use as fuel as we enter a new year?

Well, thinking in terms of street level superhero origin stories always works for me.  Training for a purpose, taking back the city, depending on grit and toughness and resourcefulness and skills, building out the home base.  Batman, Daredevil, Punisher, Arrow; all of them speak to me on a deep, deep level.

The ultra skilled, autonomous secret agent thing also fires me up.  The obvious choice here is the Jason Bourne films.  Not only for the awesome action scenes, athleticism, and situational awareness, but the fact that he's....remembering who he is.  Sometimes I really, really feel that I've essentially forgotten my identity.  Here's to remembering (and to maybe becoming a hypercapable parkour ninja spy by degrees, too!)

I also am drawn to stories of mystery, dark and ancient forces moving against humanity, creepy tales of brave investigators fighting a desperate rear guard battle against the tide.  Supernatural (well, early on anyway) spoke to me, as do the books of John Connolly, and games and stories based around the Cthulhu mythos (I'll take my tentacle blasting with a tiny bit more hope though, thanks!)  The gun slingin', dread tome totin', library delvin' hardboiled detective is a thing in my schema of total awesomeness, trust me.  Think something like Dresden Files, with a little less overt, inate magical ability.  I think one of the things I like about these tales, besides the plain ol' light against the evil themes, is how you often need ritual and forgotten tomes and dangerous knowledge as well.  The quest for knowledge, balanced with the pursuit of physical badassey, balanced with a fight for human souls.  Oh, heck yeah.

Speaking of detectives, there's the totally mundane mystery novels featuring characters like Elvis Cole or Spenser.  Seriously, if you had me describe my idealized self, it would look a lot like Spenser.  Those novels were so instrumental in shaping my as a younger man, and perhaps they will be again as I reshape myself after getting off track for a while.  

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the world of The Division.  Capable badasses "activated" when all the chips are down and tasked with rebuilding society after the collapse of everything?  Uh, yeah.  Need I say more?

And finally, of course, there's the good ol' Rangers of D&D and fantasy fiction lore.  Now much of the "character fantasy" I build my fitness journey around are modern era heroes, but I can't help but get wicked pumped when Aragorn is introduced in the books or films, and I almost always play a ranger or scout-like character in fantasy gaming.  Two aspects I'll definitely take directly, though, is the value of being outdoors, rediscovering a love for the wilderness.  The other thing I'll be borrowing is the classic D&D stats for a character sheet I'll maintain over the year.  More on that later!

***Whew.  OK then, back to your regularly scheduled Challenge Goals post.***

So, that was probably all more information than what you really needed but I think it was therapeutic to kinda spell it out for myself, remind me while I started this whole journey in the first place.

Now how's it all going to come together?  Well, there's gonna be the monthly challenge goals, per usual.  I'm probably going to lean away from very specific numbers I have to hit, and more towards the building of positive habits.  Am I going to the gym regularly, and am I getting in my walks and eating my vegetables, am I progressing forward on my life goals?  If so, I gain XP that helps me level up.

Meanwhile, though, I do in fact have certain benchmarks in mind for each "STAT" borrowed from Dungeons and Dragons, like I mentioned above, and when I hit those, I can add a number to that Attribute.  Once I've bumped up my stat, the benchmarks clear and I set new ones.

So, those aren't directly my Challenge Goals.  They don't have a specific timeframe attached to them or anything, and they're unlikely to fall all at once or very quickly.  But my monthly Challenges here will help me achieve them over time.  What I plan to do is attach my current stats, bench marks, and progress towards them at the start of my thread each month, the "character sheet" carrying over all year.  Maybe at some point I'll even figure out some "feats" and such too, but, for now, level and attributes will suffice!

I'll spell out my habit goals for this month shortly, but just wanted to get this thing posted.  More to come!

GOALS STUFF UNDER CONSTRUCTION, PLEASE FORGIVE OUR APPEARENCE  ;)

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

CHARACTER SHEET

1st Level

STATS

STR  13

DEX 10

CON 9

INT 12

WIS 12

CHA 10

* I used one of those online test things to get a general sense of where my stats currently stand, and then I honestly brought them all down a little bit.  Why?  Well, I'm thinking of myself as "first level" here, and want to give myself "room to grow", so to speak.

CURRENT BENCHMARKS/PROGRESS FOR STAT BUMPS

STR

• Press 190 x5
  • Squat 305 x 5
  • Bench Press 265 x 5
  • Deadlift 415 x 5
  • Close CoC #1 gripper 8 times per hand

* I feel this is something that's presently within reach, but I'll have to dedicate a little bit longer to them, and get back on track with grip training.  That's really fallen off.  As I hit these numbers in the course of my training, I'll check them off, and then all are completed I'll get +1 STR

DEX

• 16 unbroken dips
  • 8 unbroken pullups
  • 20 unbroken doubleunders

* Alright, so, obviously the dips and pullups are still kinda under the realm of "strength".  But when I consider dexterous characters, especially in the way I'm thinking of them (Bruce Wayne with gymnast rings in his gym), I also imagine handstands and muscle ups.  I'm waaaay off from both, but the dips and pullups are basic building blocks towards them.  And there's not much simpler in the realm of "body control" than just moving it up and down.  The dubs, meanwhile, are just a real basic "skill" involving coordination and timing and such that I used to be able to do in limited numbers, but have lost along the way.  Once I can pass all three tests, I'll set new benchmarks and gain a +1 DEX

CON

• 1 mile unbroken run
  • 4 mile ruck
  • 2 week streak of no missed meds/supps

* Obviously the basics of endurance are covered here, but also the pure health element, too.  After I hit these I'll add a +1 to my CON, and set new, higher goals.

INT

• Finish 8 books
  • Accumulate 8 hours in study or practice in a non-fitness skill

* Pretty straight forward, here.  Finish 8 books of any length, and practice or study something for 8 hours total.   Can be split among a few skills (3 hours each of Duolingo and, I dunno, researching how to get HAM radio certified, and a couple hours of lessons on guitar)  That'll earn me a +1 INT, and a new set of benchmarks.

WIS

• Accumulate 3 hours of meditation
  • Complete 3 books of Bible

* Another simple concept.  Obviously Wisdom can be reflected in lots of ways, but a real basic one is to work on calming my mind and studying my faith.  After this +1. maybe I'll explore some of those other manifestations of WIS.

CHA

• Finish 3 chapters of PN L1cert
  • Write and publish 3 blog entries

* Like WIS, Charisma can take many forms.  I'm thinking of it in terms of "leadership" and communication this time, two ways that I can work around my social awkwardness and interact with people

• Like 3

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

KDUB! I get losing focus and wanting to dial in not just ability, but overall health. 

haha yes, It's weird to go from HOW JACKED CAN I GET to, man, there's a lot of mileage on this thing...  :P

• Like 3

OK, my "character sheet" has been added to my second post!

Those are some of my longer-but-not-quite-long-range goals that I'll be plugging away towards.  So what are my shorter term goals for this Challenge, or how will I start making progress?

GOAL ONE

Consistent, focused workouts.   Gyms are still open here, even though they're at very limited capacity.  Even better, though, I'm a coach there and have access to the place between classes and such.  So, safe workout space isn't too much of an issue for me.  What has been, is just kinda meandering though my sessions, spending way too  much time between sets looking at social media or doomscrolling through the news, and training without any particular intent.  To combat this, I'm stripping back my workouts a little to make them more focused, and will be trying to get them done as efficiently as possible.

GOAL TWO

More movement.  Sure, I'm getting into the gym to lift weights or to coach, but otherwise I'm planted on my bed or couch or computer chair too much.  I'd like to get, at the very least, a walk in every day, but also add in a couple rucks a week.

GOAL THREE

Build out the Kdubcave.  My apartment is too damn cluttered, and I've got too much damn stuff for the space, and everything has looked the same for several years now.  Declutter, create room to stretch and move, rearrange furniture to give the spaces new energy, it's all on the table.  Before I have a full fledged superhero lair, I need an operational safehouse, and before I have an operational safehouse, I need, like, less piles of nonsense ready to pounce on me in every corner and closet.

OK, so there we have it!  Again, the "goals" aren't super specific for this month's challenge, but they'll all help me over the next few months in bumping up some of my stats.  :)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Knightwatch said:

haha yes, It's weird to go from HOW JACKED CAN I GET to, man, there's a lot of mileage on this thing...  :P

It's not the age of the vehicle, it's the bloody mileage... isn't getting old fun?  

5 hours ago, Knightwatch said:

More movement.  Sure, I'm getting into the gym to lift weights or to coach, but otherwise I'm planted on my bed or couch or computer chair too much.  I'd like to get, at the very least, a walk in every day, but also add in a couple rucks a week

https://www.strongfirst.com/160-seconds-a-day-keep-the-doctor-away-burn-more-fat-and-improve-your-health-without-a-sweat-with-a-simple-swing-protocol/

I'm considering this.  Might be up your alley!

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Yes! Here to cheer for your conquering of the little piles of nonsense keeping your from your superhero lair of glory!

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

HI FRIEND! Long time no chat. Glad to see you back here :) 

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Hey mate, good to see you back again!  The braindump was interesting to read too, it rings true with everything I've seen of you from online and when we met at Camp too.  All the best for 2021!

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Hi hiiii, welcome back!!  Like others, LOVING all the RPG-themed stats this time around and how people integrate them into their challenges differently!  

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

👋

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 12/31/2020 at 6:35 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

It's not the age of the vehicle, it's the bloody mileage... isn't getting old fun?  

https://www.strongfirst.com/160-seconds-a-day-keep-the-doctor-away-burn-more-fat-and-improve-your-health-without-a-sweat-with-a-simple-swing-protocol/

I'm considering this.  Might be up your alley!

Ooh.  Good find, mighty interesting!  I'm rarely in one spot for 8 hours straight, as I often have a one hour commitment or two scattered through the day, BUT, I can build something off this idea.  Thanks!  

On 1/1/2021 at 3:45 AM, juliebarkley said:

Yes! Here to cheer for your conquering of the little piles of nonsense keeping your from your superhero lair of glory!

Thank you!!!  Good luck on your's as well!  :D

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 10:28 PM, miss_marissa said:

HI FRIEND! Long time no chat. Glad to see you back here :) 

Oh, hullo!  Nice to see you again, friend!

On 1/3/2021 at 9:31 AM, Big_Show said:

Hey mate, good to see you back again!  The braindump was interesting to read too, it rings true with everything I've seen of you from online and when we met at Camp too.  All the best for 2021!

Cheers!  Always good to see you plugging away as well my friend.  

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:04 PM, shaar said:

Hi hiiii, welcome back!!  Like others, LOVING all the RPG-themed stats this time around and how people integrate them into their challenges differently!  

Agreed!  Ive seen so many awesome takes it was tough to decide on a "theme", but figured I'd go with some simple for now.  :)  Happy New Year!

Update time!

Arrived home a couple days ago, and was suddenly reminded of why I've gotta do this whole decluttering/reorgainzing mission.  I've yet to, uh, even unpack.  Oh boy.  

But, otherwise I've managed to plug away at my goals.  Meditated every day so far, and I got in a couple workouts.  Yesterday was reaaaaallllllllllyyyyy simple as I'd slept like total garbage, but I managed some very light weight back squats (lets just say the squat benchmark for STR was not struck a mighty blow yesterday....) and then a conditioning session with wallballs and calories on the rower and some situps.  So though I didn't go at all heavy, my legs definitely feel pleasantly worked today.

I also did a light workout this morning to the blood flowing and loosen up my legs a bit.  Did an EMOM 15, cycling through three exercises 5 times each.  On minute 1, I did 10 KB swings, minute 2, I did 10 goblet squats, and on minute 3, 5 pullups.  Then just repeated that till 15 minutes was up.

In a little while I'll go and hit some bench and a good ol' fashioned "chest day".  Also finally gonna crack into some unpacking and attacking my first bit of organization, the (tiny) office space I'm currently typing from.

Until then!

• Like 3

Just plain ol’ crushed the chesticles today. 

BENCH PRESS

135 x 10

185 x 8

225 x 5

245 x 4

255 x 3

265 x 2

275 x 1

SUPERSET:

10 flat DB bench w/ 3 sec negative, into

15 incline DB bench with fast reps

70s x 10 + 50s x 15

70s x 10 + 50s x 15 (had to break it up 8/7)

70s x 10 + 35s x 15

SUPERSET:

8 incline DB bench w/ 3 sec negative, into

12 flat DB bench w/ fast reps

50s x 8 + 50s x 12

50s x 8 + 50s x 12 (had to break it up 8/4)

50s x 8 + 35s x 12

BANDED FLYS

red bands x 30

red bands x 30

• Like 3

Yesterday I took a rest day (man, too bad more people in DC didn’t), and today I was back at it with another day of working up to a heavy single.  This time, deadlifts.

DEADLIFT

135 x 5

185 x 4

225 x 3

275 x 2

315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

455 x 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwgWcBnL0F/?igshid=1ard85bka6g47

Aaaand then I nearly killed myself with a really straightforward WOD that I told myself I wasn’t gonna go too hard on....but going moderate was so terrible too I ended up going hard just to get it over with.  

WOD

100 assault bike calories

* at the top of every minute, 5 KB swings

* start with cals

Terrible.  Just awful.

And much needed.

• Like 4

On 1/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, Knightwatch said:

WOD

100 assault bike calories

* at the top of every minute, 5 KB swings

* start with cals

Oh God why

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines