dusk sets out on a very long and perilous adventure

Hi 😁   I'm back... again! 

The forums have changed a lot in my absence, it seems! My life has had a couple changes as well:

- I've decided to switch from a PhD to a Master's, since I realized I wasn't enjoying myself very much, and

- I finished all my coursework for said Master's and just have my final project left! I'll be starting that quite soon. It's just a paper, so hopefully nothing too stressful! (*knocks on every piece of wood in the house*)

I've been on a Lord of the Rings kick lately, so in keeping with that and also my previous challenges' goals of Just Going for a Walk, Damnit, I've decided to keep track of my mileage and Walk to Mordor. There's even a nifty website/app that tells you what the Fellowship is doing when you reach various distances. (It's called... "Walk to Mordor". Big surprise right 😜  )

I got myself a smart watch, so that will make it easy to keep track of my mileage! Then the only challenge is actually... going... for walks. But that's why it's called a Nerd Fitness CHALLENGE. It's challenging myself to do something cool for the betterment of my health.

I would love to make it to Crickhollow by the end of the challenge, which I can do if I walk a little over 2 miles per day. We'll see how far I actually get...  😆  

44786267a8f14142d7b2698aed533279.jpg

• Like 5

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

giphy.gif

HAYYYYYY GIRL

HERE TO FOLLOW YOUR JOURNEY OF AWESOMENESS

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

HELLO HI GREETINGS ❤️ 

Get them miles in, heck yeah!!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

You got this!! I'm so happy to see you ^_^

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

The Jedi Chronicles Ep. 10: Opta Ardua Pennis Astra Sequi

Jedi Battle Log

“That's the point of it, Bryce. Of life. To live, to love, knowing that it might all vanish tomorrow. It makes everything that much more precious.”

- Danika Fendyr, House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43

On 12/31/2020 at 8:39 AM, iatetheyeti said:

You know I'm here for this :D

:D Yay!! 💜

On 12/31/2020 at 12:51 PM, SkyGirl said:

giphy.gif

HAYYYYYY GIRL

HERE TO FOLLOW YOUR JOURNEY OF AWESOMENESS

Hay gurl haaaay~ ^_^ 💜

On 12/31/2020 at 3:43 PM, shaar said:

HELLO HI GREETINGS ❤️ 

Get them miles in, heck yeah!!

HI HI HI HELLO HI! 💜

On 1/1/2021 at 8:44 AM, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

You got this!! I'm so happy to see you ^_^

:D Thank you!! I'm happy to see you too 💜

>>>------------------------->

Ok so today is the first day of the challenge right?? Yep!! Ok!! Mileage update!

- last uhhh Thursday (Dec 31)! I walked to town and back, a grand total of 2.91 miles! I didn't mind starting the challenge early :D I went on the walk because I was having the Caffeine Anxieties™️   so instead of wallowing on the couch I went for a walk to get the jitters out; and by the time I was ready to turn around, I was practically all the way to town anyway! So I wandered around the bookstore for a little bit, and got a doughnut ^_^ 

- TODAY (Jan 3)! I walked 2.24 miles according to my watch, I didn't really go for a walk Just To Go For One, but it was laundry day which involves walking back and forth several times to the laundry room which is in a whole separate building from where my apartment is. It definitely adds up!

So, in total: 5.15 miles, and I have officially made it out of Hobbiton: into the Tookland, curving southeast toward the Green Hill Country. 

tumblr_pqc6eafoYM1wjld4so1_540.gif

• Like 3

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

10 hours ago, Dusk said:

So, in total: 5.15 miles, and I have officially made it out of Hobbiton: into the Tookland, curving southeast toward the Green Hill Country. 

There are so many people walking to Mordor here, I kinda want to join in...

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Nice challenge! I started a walk to Mordor several months ago but sucked at tracking my distance and eventually threw it out - probably should have tried the app 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Keeps Trudging

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

7 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Nice challenge! I started a walk to Mordor several months ago but sucked at tracking my distance and eventually threw it out - probably should have tried the app 🤷‍♀️

Thank you! ^_^

The app is pretty cool! Not only for keeping track of where you are, but also giving you little paragraphs from the books to describe each milestone you reach :) if you give the app a try, let me know how it works out for you!

>>>-------------------->

Challenge day 2!! I went on a 2.34 mile walk around campus! For a grand total of 7.49 miles this year (plus Dec 31)!! It doesn't sound like a whole lot but I'm really proud of it :)

I also was super productive today! Sent some emails that had been scaring me, got in touch with the health center to ask a question now that they're finally open again, got my prescription refilled, and had a good appointment with my counselor in which we brainstormed about productivity strategies I might employ in the coming days as I begin work on my final project and try to set up a routine. Today I made heavy use of the "eat the frog" productivity method (which I saw some other Rebels talking about a few days ago), and it worked really well. I'm gonna try it again in the next few days to see how it goes. (I made my smart-watchface a picture of some cute frogs, to help remind me! :P)

af7e3a8d4e6b5114cc194f4fa41217f8b57a8a54

• Like 5

Yay my challenge buddy is back!!  I'm here for encouragement and the Lord of the Rings goodness. :D I have also downloaded that app for my own walking!  Let's see who gets to Mordor first... 😏

We got this!!

lord of the rings hobbits GIF

• Like 1

Level 0 Member of the Cadet Regiment

Height: 5'3" / Weight: 185.2

Current Weight Goal: 159 by June

Challenges: Rynn Joins the Cadet Corps

Currently Reading: Welcome to Night Vale

4 minutes ago, Rynn McClaire said:

Yay my challenge buddy is back!!  I'm here for encouragement and the Lord of the Rings goodness. :D I have also downloaded that app for my own walking!  Let's see who gets to Mordor first... 😏

We got this!!

lord of the rings hobbits GIF

YAAAAY :D 💜 !!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

You've convinced me! (Not that it's hard to convince me to do just about anything LotR related, to be honest.) After entering my first run yesterday, I'm now 33% of the way to Tookland :D Might have to convince my husband to go on a walk this afternoon before the next snows hit tomorrow...

• Like 1

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

4 hours ago, kcaleece said:

You've convinced me! (Not that it's hard to convince me to do just about anything LotR related, to be honest.) After entering my first run yesterday, I'm now 33% of the way to Tookland :D Might have to convince my husband to go on a walk this afternoon before the next snows hit tomorrow...

yaaaassss! :D

>>>———————>

5 Jan: I got 2 miles in, for 9.49 miles total, between laundry and walking to a coffee shop for coffee and lunch; but I tweaked the sh!t out of my neck this morning so I’ve basically been in bed since I got home from laundry. 😕 ow ow ow

vTWLa.gif

• Like 2

Tweaked neck is no fun. Hopefully it's just a minor irritation that goes away ASAP.

I'm gonna start out on my journey to Mordor today! Just have to wait for yet another official visitor (this one is from the letting agency to check my appliances won't kill me in my sleep) turning up, then I'm free to roam.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

53 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Tweaked neck is no fun. Hopefully it's just a minor irritation that goes away ASAP.

I'm gonna start out on my journey to Mordor today! Just have to wait for yet another official visitor (this one is from the letting agency to check my appliances won't kill me in my sleep) turning up, then I'm free to roam.

Well I was hoping it would feel better after some sleep, but it doesn’t feel better at all :( and the pain made it hard to sleep in the first place... ugh

ooo fun!! It will be difficult to be inconspicuous with all of us going to Mordor at once 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusk said:

ooo fun!! It will be difficult to be inconspicuous with all of us going to Mordor at once 😂

I'll have a slightly delayed start, so I might be a little more inconspicuous... Though if it's as cold tomorrow as it is today, my bright lime green jacket may just make me stand out a little!

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, Dusk said:

The app is pretty cool! Not only for keeping track of where you are, but also giving you little paragraphs from the books to describe each milestone you reach :) if you give the app a try, let me know how it works out for you!

Ok, THIS here might convince me.... as if I needed one more thing to pile onto my List of Things... XD  SO COOL!!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

On 1/6/2021 at 5:01 AM, Dusk said:

It will be difficult to be inconspicuous with all of us going to Mordor at once 😂

Count in my husband too! He's not on this forum but I told him about the app and he's super into the idea too. He runs much longer distances than I do but I told him it's all good, he can be my scout 🤣

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:09 AM, iatetheyeti said:

I'll have a slightly delayed start, so I might be a little more inconspicuous... Though if it's as cold tomorrow as it is today, my bright lime green jacket may just make me stand out a little!

😆

On 1/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, shaar said:

Ok, THIS here might convince me.... as if I needed one more thing to pile onto my List of Things... XD  SO COOL!!

Rangerbrain!!

On 1/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, kcaleece said:

Count in my husband too! He's not on this forum but I told him about the app and he's super into the idea too. He runs much longer distances than I do but I told him it's all good, he can be my scout 🤣

Yaaaasss!!

>>>---------------------->

HEE HOO HI. Didn't fall off the map permanently after only a few days - yes!!

It took a lot longer than I would have liked for my neck to heal enough for me to feel like a human being, so I didn't do a whole lot last week tbh. On the 6th, I walked 0.5 miles to the mail room and back, just so I could get out and do *something* while also taking it easy for the sake of my neck. On the 8th, I got 1.8 miles total, between going grocery shopping and checking the mail again. That makes a grand total of: 11.79 miles!! Less than a percent of the way to Mount Doom. 😆   But - I will get there!! I'm proud of my progress so far this year, and I look forward to making even more progress. I plan to go for a long wandering walk today, since I have little else to do ^_^  ...Maybe not. I didn’t sleep well and I’m having Emotions. It may be just a walk to the mail room again. Thats ok. 

• Like 2

0.75 miles, took a slightly longer route to the mail room (though it’s Sunday so there was no point in checking other than taking the walk, heheh). 
Grand total: 12.54 miles

:) 

• Like 1

I love that you took the time to get the walk in, even though you were struggling!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

The Jedi Chronicles Ep. 10: Opta Ardua Pennis Astra Sequi

Jedi Battle Log

“That's the point of it, Bryce. Of life. To live, to love, knowing that it might all vanish tomorrow. It makes everything that much more precious.”

- Danika Fendyr, House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43

20 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I love that you took the time to get the walk in, even though you were struggling!

Me too! I'm quite proud of myself for still trying to do *something*, even if it's small. :panda: 

>>>---------------->

Today! 11 January! I went for a walk to town and back (with a brief detour for one of those very cheap but weirdly delicious gas station cappuccinos). Wandered around the bookstore for a little bit. Successfully didn't panic when I thought there was a spider on me. (Still not sure if it was a spider or a gnat, but, I couldn't find it after much shirt-flapping and pants-tapping, so I think it was most likely a gnat.) The distance total was... *drum roll please*... 3.29 miles!! For a grand total of 15.83 miles so far this year!!

I'm REALLY REALLY proud of myself, y'all!! This is the longest I've stuck with something fitness-related in a long time. It helps, I think, that I can input small distances - like to the mailbox and back - even if I don't make my "ideal" distance goal for the day. That's a mentality I have a really really hard time shaking: that if I can't do the whole thing, then I can't do it at all. But for some reason, this feels different. Maybe the ease of distance tracking with my smart watch? So I can go, ha, I did travel some amount of distance today, even if it wasn't a big dedicated walk! (With the stipulation that I am only counting activities that specifically require walking, and not just my cumulative lumbering about the apartment during the day, ha!)

*shrug* Whatever the reason, I'll take it!

(It also helps that I wear my One Ring while I go for my walks >:) it's a replica, we swears...)

giphy.gif?w=1024

• Like 4