Starpuck: Strength and Soul to Start

Starpuck

Who is this chick?

Spoiler

Yo! I am Starpuck.  I am a 44 year old super jack of all trades gamer, fitness, D&D, everything nerd.  My name is an amalgamation of my love of BSG (Starbuck is a badass) and hockey.  (I picked up ice hockey when I was 32.  No, I had never even ice skated before that day!)  I seriously have enough passions and interests that I'd really benefit in learning some shadowclone jutsu (oh yeah, also love anime) but alas, that's not a real thing.   My winters typically include lots of video games, hockey, art and D&D.   My summers are filled with biking, hiking, traveling, photography, and other outdoor fun.   I got into health and fitness when I was 27 and hit the 200lb mark.  (On a 5'2" body no less.)   My first foray was with Weight Watchers and DDR.    I lost 60lbs in 18 months.   Buuuut, as experience and knowledge would come later, learned that WW is a super restrictive, low cal diet and not really something that is best maintained long haul with an active person.   A few hit and misses eventually landed me at Nerd Fitness in 2013.    (Holy crap, I have an almost 8 year anniversary coming up??)    I've had 7 years of being FAR healthier, much stronger, and better functionally during my time here, than even my much younger years.    Sure, it's a constant up and down, ebb and flow.  But that's life!    My one tip for anyone on this journey, new or old,  is that consistency is the #1 factor for success.    Things might seem to be moving slow, and not getting you those fast results... but keep at it for a good amount of time before 'switching to find something that works better'.   "Don't Let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."  -Earl Nightingale.  Really, that quote should be like, on the first page of ANYthing involving health, fitness, weight loss, whatever. ;)   Fitness wise:  I'm always chasing and working on pull ups (because a pull up could save your life) and maintaining strength so that I can be active well into the golden years.   Foodwise:  I do best when tracking on MyFitnessPal, but often take 'seasons off' and just try to avoid "eating like an a-hole".   So that's me in a nutshell.  -Ish.   Now on to the challenge.

The Challenge!

I know what works.   I know what's struggling right now.   I know consistency is the key.    I am not sure what 'theme' I am feeling right now - though I do know I tend to be a little more motivated when I have a fun theme tacked into my challenge.   But for the sake of getting SOMETHING up here today, let's list the basics.

• Food needs to tighten up again.  The Autumnal Slide™ has occurred as per usual.
  • Exercise needs to be more consistent.   Specifically strength sessions, which were the first to get swept under the rug.
  • I'd like gratitude (or devotionals) to be a daily habit.
  • I'd like to put more time and energy into getting my art skills dusted off.

Goals then...

Move! 6x/week.

2 Strength Sessions a week; but don't have to be picky about what I do on them.

*Less than 2 and I lose too much focus and it gets hard to maintain.  3 is okay, on occasion.  4 is right out.

Fill the rest of the days with some heart pumping cardio for mood, lungs and veins!  

BUT! Leave 1 day to rest/chill/stretch.

Eat Well Daily! 7x/week

Food tracked via MFP or in BuJo journal.

I'm not in a totally bad place with eating, and since exercise is oddly the struggle point, we're leaving this tracking loose.

Heart & Soul Stuff!  7/3x/week

Soul stuff- 7x

*Let's really work on perspective, and focus this year.   Devotions have been a really good way for me to start remembering promises and truths.   As someone who struggles with doom-crafting and spiraling what-if scenarios for the stupidest things, this is very important to get to a better place with.    Devotions or gratitude journals count toward this, and should be done daily.

Heart stuff- 3x

*Art! I think art is one of my heart's joys when I stop berating myself about being good or bad at it.  Just need to learn to enjoy it for what it is.  The skills will come in time (or they wont), but that shouldn't stop me from doing it.

Art can be anything creative minded, but I should really prioritize time with the wacom tablet because I let those skills get mega rusty.   Painting, and photography can also count.

Okay.  That's it.   Maybe there will be a theme later, or maybe not.   Next step is to fill out the BuJo.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

FIRST!!!! Here and following!

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

Looks like a good challenge! I love/hate your term doom crafting.Love, because it is an apt description. Hate because, auugh, I struggle with that too. Gratitude, and relying on God's promises are a great way to fight that! Maybe this year we can both work more on hope crafting. ( I was going to put an exclamation instead of a period, but then worried I'd use my quota. Nevertheless, read the sentence with excitement.)

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Nice goals!  Happy Challenge!

you can do it cheering GIF

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Great goals - lovely to see that you got this up ready to take on the new year :)

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 12/31/2020 at 12:41 PM, Starpuck said:

Who is this chick?

You mean you don't know who the incredibly awesome, most amazing nerd this side of the world is?!

I'm here following you because... well it's you. I have to follow you!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hello all!  And thanks for the follows!   Today, as I write this, it is Sunday.   The final day of zero week for me (an OG Monday Starter, sup!) and the last chance to get everything in place!     Good news on that front: I have done ALL of my zero week goals save for two...   I didn't finish Mandalorian yet, and I decided against painting my toenails because... winter.  They're always in socks!!.    My BuJo is set up; complete with crooked lines and a whited out task that I marked on the wrong day, lol.   

I am currently preparing for an imaging test my doc ordered up for me -unpleasant, but answers are better than guesses- so we can determine if my wonky sharks are just wonky, or if there is something else to keep an eye on.    Philippians 4:8 has become one of my favorite verses this past year, and remembering to think on what is true is a strong mantra for today.   As someone who struggles with the thinking of worst case scenarios out to the umpteenth degree, I must remember that anything that has not yet happened is NOT true!

After that, groceries for the work week.   It's a back in the *actual* office week.   Oof, what a harsh shift this will be.   Due to having to use up 4 weeks of PTO in the last 2-3 months, means I haven't worked a full 5 day week in a while  and I've only worked 6 of the last 16 days due to weekends and holidays, lol.      Gonna be quite the slap in the face.   On the flip side, I think getting more movement and more out of the house mental space is going to be a very good thing!   I am one who ruts hard in a rut, but also runs strong when the engine is running.  

Hopefully get some Beat Saber going this afternoon as well, then this evening, my RL D&D group (virtual only still these days) is having session zero to get ready for the new campaign we're starting this year.      Also might try baking those pistachio chai muffins.   I have no more 'sweet treats' laying around because I wasn't being a decent human with them, lol.    Homemade muffins I am very good about having one and being done - so that can be my evening snacks.

Now to catch up on you lovelies!

Premier League Football GIF by Manchester City

• Like 6

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

2 things:

1. You've GOT to finish Mando
  2. You will rock this first week because you're an awesome person and that's just what you do, Rock it!
  • Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

On 12/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

Looks like a good challenge! I love/hate your term doom crafting.Love, because it is an apt description. Hate because, auugh, I struggle with that too. Gratitude, and relying on God's promises are a great way to fight that! Maybe this year we can both work more on hope crafting. ( I was going to put an exclamation instead of a period, but then worried I'd use my quota. Nevertheless, read the sentence with excitement.)

Man, I feel like I need to do more crafting and more creative stuff. I feel like I'm losing my ability to be creative. It might just have been the dumpster fire that was 2020 sapping my energy (including creative energy) but I just don't really know. I feel like I'm not as creative as I used to be. 

10 hours ago, Red1263 said:

2 things:

1. You've GOT to finish Mando
  2. You will rock this first week because you're an awesome person and that's just what you do, Rock it!

I agree with Red!!!!

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

Wait..... you haven't finished The Mandalorian?

What Are You Doing Wtf GIF by Justin

• Like 2

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Late but here :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Day 1 Proper --- I am so tired.

Work was pretty gentle for the first day back in.    But last night while getting to bed 25 minutes before bed time, and being ready to sleep -- I ended up with a muscle spasm/twitch in my leg just above my knee.   It was enough that I couldn't sleep through it, and it was twitching hard enough I could visibly see the movement with my eyes!  Annoying!!   It lasted a full 30 minutes ugh!

I tracked my calories today, so that's done.

I got my strength session in, so check mark there.    Took it nice and light and easy.

I am grateful that I have a good LadyDoc™ that was willing to look into my complaints right away, and that the end prognosis is nothing TerriblyScary™  

Spoiler

(A mildly complex cyst on each ovary for the most part.  Some other tech words that I am waiting for the doc to explain as I only read the lab results on MyChart, lol.   But a quick use of my PhD in Googling, suggests, nothing terribly worrisome.)

[That marks a Gratitude done and a devotional to come.]

Going to do some light in character sketching in bed, and then lights out early.

It was a good first day!

4d5de-giphy2b252822529.gif

• Like 9

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Work was pretty gentle for the first day back in.    But last night while getting to bed 25 minutes before bed time, and being ready to sleep -- I ended up with a muscle spasm/twitch in my leg just above my knee.   It was enough that I couldn't sleep through it, and it was twitching hard enough I could visibly see the movement with my eyes!  Annoying!!   It lasted a full 30 minutes ugh!

Magnesium!

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 1/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, Starpuck said:

this evening, my RL D&D group (virtual only still these days) is having session zero to get ready for the new campaign we're starting this year.

Oo, that's exciting - what campaign are you playing? And how did session zero go?

Glad things went well with LadyDoc™

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Lady Doc appointments are scary to me. I'm always worried they're going to find something seriously wrong with me. I've turned into a bit of a hypochondriac though once my mom passed. Made me feel a lot more normal. I'm so glad that it doesn't seem to be anything serious for you! 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

It makes me happy to hear that your health is ok! I'm glad that you have access to LadyDoc and that your fears are put to rest.

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

The Day in a Nutshell:

So today wasn't as grand as I had hoped it would be.   The sun never showed up.  Well, it did, for seriously, like 42 seconds.  One peek of blue sky and a single ray and back to blanket.   This drags me down so fiercely ya'll.    Additionally, last night my GirlWoes™ triggered some nagging, pulling pain which re-ignited the "Well it's not normal, and you have to be on watch now" panic.    The constant feeling of bloating and the fact my normally stellar GI System is one of the first things to be affected by this, leaves me in a state of low-mid grade irritable gutness.   I just want it to be over and done with.  I do not like 8 weeks of wait and see if it resolves on its own.   Tomorrow I will reach out to my doc (since she has not yet responded via mychart updates) and see what she says.    A friend also said something that really depressed me last night and left me waking up still bummed out.   Thankfully, another friend reassured me on that matter today.

I pushed through all that malaise and managed to:

Track my Calories

Get a Beat Saber session in. (For Move)

Bust out the tablet and get some tablet art in.

Devotion before bed (now).

... and that makes for a solid A+ day.

Tired At Home GIF by IKEA USA

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines