Mahalak Hopes Foresight is 2021

I'm baaaack!

I feel like it has been forever, and given 2020, maybe it was. 'Course it's a little shorter than might be, given  that I lost October to COVID.

Downside of the virus (for me): miserable. Upside: lost 28 lbs. Downside: gained 16 of it back. I guess going a month without eating is all my body could handle.

But I'd fallen off the NF wagon back in May, so I'm overdue for a re-spawn. I've been a rebel - just trying to be healthier - but after so long, I feel like a rookie. So here I am!

Mind: Track my food intake. I know what to do, but I need to do it, and that takes mind over matter (going into my mouth!)

Body: Walk daily. I'm not putting down a time, because having fallen off of this horse, I just need to get back on and create the habit. I've done well throughout the pandemic of doing bodyweight stuff at home 3-4 days per week. But walking has been good for me - body, mind, and spirit - and so I want to get back to it.

Spirit: As always, my spirit yearns for times of quiet contemplation. Again, it is the practice more than the amount of time that is my focus, until the habit is formed.

My plan is to check in regularly, as I need the accountability. Desperately.

PS I'm glad the challenge starts on 1/3, as family traditions make 1/1 a challenging day!

• Like 2

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

22 hours ago, Mahalak said:

Walk daily. I'm not putting down a time, because having fallen off of this horse, I just need to get back on and create the habit. I've done well throughout the pandemic of doing bodyweight stuff at home 3-4 days per week. But walking has been good for me - body, mind, and spirit - and so I want to get back to it.

Uff. I feel you on this.

And welcome back! I missed seeing you around.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Welcome back, and happy (hopefully)  new year. Looks like a solid challenge - may I ask if you walk outside, or just any walking wherever you are? 

Thank you! So far so good! This time of year I use my treadmill a lot, but if I'm out and about and come across a walking trail, I'll take it. Of course, I'm not out and about much these days, so...

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

2 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Uff. I feel you on this.

And welcome back! I missed seeing you around.

Thanks, juliebarkley, that means a lot. I'm a real introvert, so I can hardly believe someone notices if I'm somewhere, let alone misses me if I'm not. Your note leaves me with a welcome warm fuzzy!

Alright, alright, alright! Got an early jump to get some positive points pre-challenge! I ate like it was Jan 1, but at least I tracked it.

A crash-to-earth moment, in seeing one of my worst walking mileage months on record. I'm so close to completing my walk home from Mordor, but at that rate it would take FOREVER! So I need to make sure Dec is a one and done.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 2:18 PM, Manarelle said:

Welcome back, and happy (hopefully)  new year. Looks like a solid challenge - may I ask if you walk outside, or just any walking wherever you are? 

On 1/7/2021 at 2:00 PM, Chesire said:

I know I'm a week late, but welcome back!  Nice to see you again

Thanks to you both! How are you and your challenges going?

A week in the books! Did pretty well. One weekend a month I teach, which always makes things tough. I also reached out through my insurance and had my first of 6 coaching sessions. No reason to turn down free help!

I'm thinking of incorporating HIIT into my weekly routine (12 Minute Athlete). Anyone with HIIT experience? Thoughts? Advice?

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Mahalak said:

Anyone with HIIT experience? Thoughts? Advice?

I don't have a ton of experience but I'd say be patient with yourself.  If you are doing it 'properly' then it's a hard workout.  I was shocked the first time just how hard the last few minutes really were when I tried to put in the recommended effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, Mahalak said:

A week in the books! Did pretty well. One weekend a month I teach, which always makes things tough. I also reached out through my insurance and had my first of 6 coaching sessions. No reason to turn down free help!

I'm thinking of incorporating HIIT into my weekly routine (12 Minute Athlete). Anyone with HIIT experience? Thoughts? Advice?

Nice, congrats on a first week of success! What do you teach, if I may? 

I did HIIT for a period of time before I found and fell in love with weightlifting. I will second the above opinion that it is hard, but if you're looking for maximum impact for time spent, it will give you that for sure. I've had asthma issues in the past, so sudden heavy breathing didn't do it for me, but I know plenty of people who've tried it and love it. Check youtube and various other online tutorials to give it a try; I'm sure there are lots of paid programs, but also many free versions. 

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Nice, congrats on a first week of success! What do you teach, if I may? 

I did HIIT for a period of time before I found and fell in love with weightlifting. I will second the above opinion that it is hard, but if you're looking for maximum impact for time spent, it will give you that for sure. I've had asthma issues in the past, so sudden heavy breathing didn't do it for me, but I know plenty of people who've tried it and love it. Check youtube and various other online tutorials to give it a try; I'm sure there are lots of paid programs, but also many free versions. 

Thanks for the input. Sick cat and workers doing a home installation really mucked up the day. My goal of 3-4 days bodyweight work is still well within range, so tomorrow is my HIIT intro.

I teach folks who want to become spiritual directors, with the Parish Resource Center's 'Kairos: Spiritual Direction Training' program in Lancaster PA. Once a month, for two years.

• Like 1

What a week. Actually, Thursday was quite a day. It was nice to get the car washed; it was in need. Then I went to visit a dying former parishioner and his family, remembering at the last moment to bring Communion with me. A very meaningful visit. They are not just former church members, but became friends. I stopped to pick lunch up for my wife and I, when all the lights on the dashboard went Christmas on me. As I was sitting there, "WTH?" my cell rang. That friend had just died, just minutes after I left. I was glad his suffering ended, I was grateful that I might have been able to play a part, that perhaps receiving the Sacrament was a last desire. But, of course, I was sad for his family and for the loss in my life. Took the car in, got my own sad look from the car guy, and by 9pm was much poorer, but soon to be the owner of a new-to-me 2018 car. And somewhere that afternoon, got word that another old friend had died. Again, not unexpected (she was 92Y), but still sad.

With a day like that, who needs 2020? Still, my challenges have been going well. With my week ending on Saturdays, I've gotten my three workouts in this week, two of them HIIT. I like it! It is exhausting, that's for sure, and two times isn't enough to tell how I'm supposed to feel afterward. But each was a three-circuit full body workout (push, pull, legs, core, hinge, cardio) and according to Jefit I covered all of my body parts.

The one disappointment over the week is that my concentrated prayer time wasn't the consistency I'd hope. But this week is another opportunity.

I met again with my "six-time-under-insurance coach," my first week goal being to get a daily 20 minutes of activity, and then this week to start getting up and at'em to my exercise, rather than the malingering I've sadly gotten used to in the COVID era. So far, so good!

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 3:28 PM, Mahalak said:

What a week. Actually, Thursday was quite a day. It was nice to get the car washed; it was in need. Then I went to visit a dying former parishioner and his family, remembering at the last moment to bring Communion with me. A very meaningful visit. They are not just former church members, but became friends. I stopped to pick lunch up for my wife and I, when all the lights on the dashboard went Christmas on me. As I was sitting there, "WTH?" my cell rang. That friend had just died, just minutes after I left. I was glad his suffering ended, I was grateful that I might have been able to play a part, that perhaps receiving the Sacrament was a last desire. But, of course, I was sad for his family and for the loss in my life. Took the car in, got my own sad look from the car guy, and by 9pm was much poorer, but soon to be the owner of a new-to-me 2018 car. And somewhere that afternoon, got word that another old friend had died. Again, not unexpected (she was 92Y), but still sad.

Oof, rough day. Glad you got to have a last Communion with your friend, but that's still rough. Hope the rest of the week/ weekend has been pretty uneventful after all that. 

Sounds like you're doing well on the challenges and, as you say, this week is another opportunity. You've got this. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Oof, sorry to hear about your tough day.  Glad to see you had the opportunity to see your friend for a final meaningful visit. 

Nice job continuing with your challenge work.  As far as HIIT goes, does it knock you down for the rest of the day?  Or do you bounce back?  Personally, I've noticed that after the initial cool down time it takes about an hour for me to move on to the next active thing.  Reading/studying/paperwork type stuff is fine, but walk the dog?  She gets to wait a bit.   I'd not heard of Jefit.  How do you like it? (did a quick google)

Have you found the time for the concentrated prayer you felt was missing?  

On 1/20/2021 at 7:12 AM, Chesire said:

Oof, sorry to hear about your tough day.  Glad to see you had the opportunity to see your friend for a final meaningful visit. 

Nice job continuing with your challenge work.  As far as HIIT goes, does it knock you down for the rest of the day?  Or do you bounce back?  Personally, I've noticed that after the initial cool down time it takes about an hour for me to move on to the next active thing.  Reading/studying/paperwork type stuff is fine, but walk the dog?  She gets to wait a bit.   I'd not heard of Jefit.  How do you like it? (did a quick google)

Have you found the time for the concentrated prayer you felt was missing?  

Thanks to all for the expressions of sympathy.

On Jefit: yes, I really like it a lot. I think I upgraded from the free version to next edition, but I definitely am not paying a monthly fee (elite?). A ton of exercises in their library, and you can make your own, including the main muscles used. It also highlights the muscles used in a given week and on a given day, and I've developed a bit of an addiction to making sure all of my body parts are highlighted by the end of the week. Leave no muscle behind!

As for the prayer: yes, I have been more consistent, which was my goal more than an amount of time each day.  One thing that's helped is the Contemplative Outreach/World Community of Christian Meditation's Meditation Chapel, which has a variety of Zoom prayer groups daily. I'm not in one every day, but have appreciated the ability to pray with others. I don't get much opportunity to that generally, and especially not in these C19 times.

• Like 2