Jean sets up the basics

Yearly theme music: Liquid Cinema - Valor

Challenge theme music: Robin Gogberg - Hit The Ground Running

Inspiration:

Woev3226.jpg

Emphasis on the last part: I am what I've got and what I've got is plenty.

Organized Chaos:

"You can't control the world at large but, deep within, there is something that you do have control of. Find it, go there and, from there, expand."

Welcome!

Let's start with some feedback:

I'm used to not care about my needs and wants: I react to the environment and deal with it. It has pros and cons; right now, the cons outweigh the pros (though this mindset is what makes me able to proact now so it was a path worth taking).

Last year, I have registered to a hike guiding training in order to take my head off work. During the sessions, I've come to realize that there would actually be a way to make that a living venture, though the average consumerist client might destroy my spirit and dealing with them could eat my soul, so the plan is to become the ultimate survivalist instead and organizing seminars and camps around it.

Ultimate survival implies being able to survive and thrive in today's nature, survive in a post-apocalyptic world but also and most importantly, to be able to deal with life in society, to develop a balanced state of mind, to master one's finances, to nurture and pursue our dreams and to be able to state our true will, be it for a "yes" or a "no".

As of the end of January, I'll be able to take people out in nature with me while being properly insured and having access to all the required medical equipment. I need to gather 200 hours of practice in order to be able to register to the licensing exams. I want to hit the ground running. That means I plan to take friends and acquaintances with me right off the bat to start practicing as soon as I am able.

That's one goal.

More fundamental is the putting together of my whole life. I've defined an ordered list of yearly goals to pursue and put it in my battle log for rememberance:

I'll be following it during this year's challenges.

Let's start:

Goal 1: go to work, make it sustainable and make it bearable.

• Register 9h/day at work in order to eat back the negative hours I've accumulated in 2020.
  • Use one of these hours for low activity tasks like filing or planing.

Goal 2: show up for my hiking courses.

• Buy the necessary equipment for the session of the end of January.
  • Show up in courses and do the required work.
  • Gather information and plan for the federal licensing exams.

Goal 3: keep practicing mini-workouts to sustain my mindset.

Every other day:

• bodyweight squats (4x10).
  • push-ups (4x10).
  • bodyweight inverted rows (4x10).
  • hollow holds (4x10s).

Goal 4: keep following my finances and make sure it takes off or, at the minimum, sustains my stated goals.

• track expenses.
  • build-up emergency fund.
  • Have fun!

That's it. Easy to follow ground work in order to be able to build on it. I'll have few energy to spare so I'll probably not wander a lot in other challenges. I still love you and you're still rocking. Crush those goals, mates!

Let's rock!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Your January goals are fascinating, as usual. I am excited to see your hiking/survival goal grow and take shape.

• Thanks 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

13 hours ago, Jean said:

Ultimate survival implies being able to survive and thrive in today's nature, survive in a post-apocalyptic world but also and most importantly, to be able to deal with life in society, to develop a balanced state of mind, to master one's finances, to nurture and pursue our dreams and to be able to state our true will, be it for a "yes" or a "no".

I approve of the complete lack of "other people and how to deal with them" in your list of necessary skills for surviving in society. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

Just now, Scaly Freak said:

"other people and how to deal with them"

You know, at first, I thought that retreating in nature and mental balance were the way to deal with that part but once you become awesome enough, chances are they'll have to deal with you more than the opposite. It may be a topic for a secret chapter.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

9 hours ago, Jean said:

I thought that retreating in nature and mental balance were the way to deal with that part but once you become awesome enough, chances are they'll have to deal with you more than the opposite. 

Exactly. 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

2 hours ago, Defining said:

You use theme music?! Awesomesauce.

Always. It's an anchor that allows me to get back in the mood I was when writing my goals, which helps when I don't want to go for it because I'm down. Music is Magic!

• Like 4

On 1/2/2021 at 9:31 AM, Jean said:

You know, at first, I thought that retreating in nature and mental balance were the way to deal with that part but once you become awesome enough, chances are they'll have to deal with you more than the opposite. It may be a topic for a secret chapter.

Hehehe. I like this approach. Other people making detailed plans on how to deal with me, instead of the other way round. Everyone puts "Manage Harriet" into their goals alongside "Diet" "Exercise" and "Don't drink too much".

I wish you glorious survival, and further, flourishing.

• That's Metal 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Getting ready for tomorrow:

• Work 9h (6:30am-12+1:30pm-5);
  • Register my working hours + do some filing;
  • Register my holidays;
  • Workout;
  • Call the car-repairs shop and set up an appointment (had a very small "accident" and have to have the bodyshell repaired);
  • Buy a box for my pens and other writing stuff.
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 2:00 PM, Jean said:
  • Have fun!

That's it. Easy to follow ground work in order to be able to build on it. I'll have few energy to spare so I'll probably not wander a lot in other challenges. I still love you and you're still rocking. Crush those goals, mates!

I like that you added have fun to your list.

I feel you on not having much energy to spare. I really appreciated the comment made in response to something similar on my thread. You have the right attitude on this.

• That's Metal 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

20 hours ago, Xena said:

I like that you added have fun to your list.

Note that it is related to finances. :D Yay for spreadsheets! New data points is fun!

Monday, December 4:

• Work 9h (6:30am-12+1:30pm-5); done.
  • Register my working hours + do some filing; done.
  • Register my holidays; done.
  • Workout; done.
  • Call the car-repairs shop and set up an appointment (had a very small "accident" and have to have the bodyshell repaired); done.
  • Buy a box for my pens and other writing stuff. done.

For tomorrow:

• Register my working hours + do some filing;
  • Go to the waste disposal site and get rid of some cumbersome stuff.
  • Like 4

I'm not sure how, but somehow I did not follow your challenge when I was here before

This has been fixed and I see you've started off the year with a bang! 

• Haha 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: Keeps on Moving

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 62

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Tuesday, January 5:

• Work 9h (6:30am-12+1:30pm-5); Hahahahaha! Nope! Got a meeting that went on for more than planned. Useful to get things done at work, not useful for my life balance.
  • Register my working hours + do some filing; I've registered the hours, I haven't done the filing. I count it as a win.
  • Go to the waste disposal site and get rid of some cumbersome stuff. Nope! Got out of work too late for that.

For tomorrow:

• Register my working hours + do some planning;
  • Work out.

• Like 4

I went back and read a couple of your posts from last challenge about your mindset and "overthinking" of your stance on your fitness for a relationship and to be a parent. Just want to say that I absolutely do not think that you are overthinking things. This may not be on your mind at the moment, but I just want to add my voice of support to your self-reflection. Not enough people take the time to "overthink" their lives, in my opinion.

I hope you can get to the waste disposal site soon. I really enjoy the physical act of picking up useless/non-recyclable items and tossing them off into their unfortunate future of decay and rust. I know that sounds a bit snarky or tongue-in-cheek, but I truly do enjoy the process of ridding myself of crap.

• Like 2

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

I know you said you wouldn't be around much, so I hope everything is going well. We'd love to hear what you've been up to!

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines