15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Forst the dough was way too dry

I don’t know why this tickles me so much.  But “forst” is now my word of the day.  I’ve already asked my wife what she'd like forst for lunch, and she’s giving me a look like she knows something’s up but isn't sure exactly what nonsense I’m doing yet.

• Haha 6

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

15 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Yeah and my Timeshaping Teenager Wizard is staying far away from everything ugly and icky, but it was he who found we needed to rescue the damsel in distress. After that he don't want to have nothing to do with her, cause, BLUSHING, still she needed rescueing!

Presmyr was trying to give you guys a little time together, not realizing that Brian still thinks girls have cooties :D 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I applaud your tenacity! 
It seems ambitious to make tortillas for the first time and then make a dish out of them, rather than say have them as a side for something. But your choice of dish is excellent. I hope it worked out this evening. 

Ha, tenacity is a very kind way of describing it :P 

7 hours ago, Hazard said:

I don’t know why this tickles me so much.  But “forst” is now my word of the day.  I’ve already asked my wife what she'd like forst for lunch, and she’s giving me a look like she knows something’s up but isn't sure exactly what nonsense I’m doing yet.

That's hilarious :D 

--------------------------------------

Yesterday was another couch + xbox day.  I can't help it because I am enjoying this game so much :D   My current character is a necromancer puppet master who often has as part of her party: 1 follower, 1-2 allies, 3 dramora lords, 6 skeleton mages, and 3 conjured skeevers.  The only reason she even bothers engaging in combat herself is so I can level up her destruction magic skills

In the evening, I continued with my Enchilada Adventure.  I had everything ready, the filling, the sauce, and the sour cream were made, the cheese was grated, the tortilla dough was ready to go.  And it STILL took me 2 hours before I was ready to throw those dang things in the oven.  Those dang tortillas almost undid me.  It has been well over a decade since I have been so angry and frustrated enough to swear, pound on the counters and throw spatulas across the kitchen.  I must have matured a lot since then, though, because I was able to control that destructive rage and the only thing that got destroyed was a cardboard box.  All I wanted to do was just burn the whole world down.  I eventually ended up having to just throw all of the dough away and start over from scratch.  twice.  Eventually I was able to get enough tortillas to fill the pan and the whole time I was swearing that this was 2,000% NOT WORTH IT!!!

They turned out all right in the end.

vdMQC06.jpg

By the time I was calmed down and the enchiladas were consumed I was rational enough to understand that there is a learning curve here and perhaps I shouldn't throw all of my corn flour into the garbage just yet :D 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Presmyr was trying to give you guys a little time together, not realizing that Brian still thinks girls have cooties :D 

Brian is right. We do. 😈

• Haha 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

On 1/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, WhiteGhost said:

That's @Red1263's job. 

Yeah! That's MY job!

... Wait, what?!

• Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Those dang tortillas almost undid me.  It has been well over a decade since I have been so angry and frustrated enough to swear, pound on the counters and throw spatulas across the kitchen.  I must have matured a lot since then, though, because I was able to control that destructive rage and the only thing that got destroyed was a cardboard box.  All I wanted to do was just burn the whole world down.  I eventually ended up having to just throw all of the dough away and start over from scratch.  twice.  Eventually I was able to get enough tortillas to fill the pan and the whole time I was swearing that this was 2,000% NOT WORTH IT!!!

They turned out all right in the end.

Oh man! I saw the last post, pondered a little about what might have been the problem... and then everything spun out of control at the Ghost household! :D

That looks delicious, for the record. I am wracking my brain for what could have been the issue for you; I’ve never heard of having to throw out instant masa dough entirely!

The main problems I found over the times I’ve worked with masa is that it’s sticky and impossible to work with when it’s too wet; and when it’s too dry, it’s craggy, doesn’t press into a thin enough tortilla, and tastes heavy and gummy when you bite into the finished product.  Too wet, I just solve by letting it sit uncovered until it dries out some. Too dry, I add water a little at a time until I can mold it properly. I wish I could see what was going on with your dough, this is the kind of thing that if we were in the same room we’d have it solved instantly.

Is this why they set us up with Discord? So we can all swap tortilla demos? :D

• Like 5

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

angry and frustrated enough to swear, pound on the counters and throw spatulas across the kitchen.

the only thing that got destroyed was a cardboard box.  All I wanted to do was just burn the whole world down.

the whole time I was swearing that this was 2,000% NOT WORTH IT!!!

Miguel Herrera, Mexico: Meet the most GIF-worthy man at the World Cup.

I can't see anything else when reading that! Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

... a little odd in the head ...

Assgined to the following Adventuring-Parties:

DryJanuary

WeightLossPvP

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

By the time I was calmed down and the enchiladas were consumed I was rational enough to understand that there is a learning curve here and perhaps I shouldn't throw all of my corn flour into the garbage just yet :D 

The wisdom that comes from eating good food is amazing. :D 

And your tortilla adventures makes me grateful I live in an area where I can buy them pre-made at the grocery store.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Brian is right. We do. 😈

Hah, I KNEW it

I Knew It GIFs | Tenor

18 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Yeah! That's MY job!

... Wait, what?!

Welcome to your new role :P 

16 hours ago, PaulG said:

Oh man! I saw the last post, pondered a little about what might have been the problem... and then everything spun out of control at the Ghost household! :D

That looks delicious, for the record. I am wracking my brain for what could have been the issue for you; I’ve never heard of having to throw out instant masa dough entirely!

The main problems I found over the times I’ve worked with masa is that it’s sticky and impossible to work with when it’s too wet; and when it’s too dry, it’s craggy, doesn’t press into a thin enough tortilla, and tastes heavy and gummy when you bite into the finished product.  Too wet, I just solve by letting it sit uncovered until it dries out some. Too dry, I add water a little at a time until I can mold it properly. I wish I could see what was going on with your dough, this is the kind of thing that if we were in the same room we’d have it solved instantly.

Is this why they set us up with Discord? So we can all swap tortilla demos? :D

Yeah, doing this with someone else live who knew what they were doing would have been so much nicer.  I'm not sure what the deal was, but my tortillas were craggy, crumbly and thick and yet simultaneously super sticky.   The consistency felt right, and matched both your description and what your links said.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

15 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Miguel Herrera, Mexico: Meet the most GIF-worthy man at the World Cup.

I can't see anything else when reading that! Thank you!

^^^ Actual footage

14 hours ago, deftona said:

I'm very sorry to hear about the kitchen nightmare but your write up of it was.... wonderful

I'm glad something about it was wonderful :D 

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The wisdom that comes from eating good food is amazing. :D 

And your tortilla adventures makes me grateful I live in an area where I can buy them pre-made at the grocery store.

Yes, we should all eat more good food.  I can order store-bought tortillas online but I wanted something better.  Things just didn't go according to plan...

------------------------------------------------

Yesterday all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and play xbox.  Things didn't exactly work out according to that plan.

I started things off by playing for a bit in the morning, but by the early afternoon things were looking REALLY nice outside.  As in sunny and 4C kind of nice*.  So what I did instead is I got dressed and headed over to the park for a workout and it was great.  The weather was perfect and I was feeling nice and refreshed and so I worked on all of the things that I can't do in my home gym, especially gymnastics and parkour stuff.  First was some muscle up and human flag work, and then I moved on to gymnastics and went through my routine from my virtual meet earlier.  Then I got started on some other fun stuff, including the Hateful Badger thing @PaulG and @DoubleTrouble were working on.  I was not planning to give it a go at full speed, but there was another guy there who also wanted to give it a try, so having someone there to show off to provided that little bit of extra incentive I needed

I also decided to try out a new move that the other guy was doing which looked both fun and cool.  No idea what it is called, though

When I got home I hopped on the treadmill and did my 5K intervals but I didn't have time for stretching because Ghostlet came home and I needed to make dinner.

Dinner was Orange Goose Leg with vegetable gravy and a side of fresh cucumbers

H99poeg.jpg

After dinner I wanted to get back on Skyrim, but there was laundry that needed doing, dishes that needed washing, and cupcakes that needed making (Ghostlet likes to have cupcakes as part of his breakfast and he had eaten his last one that morning) so I didn't have time.  

* Weather this week has been really weird.  One week ago the high was -17C and today the high is supposed to be 9C.  That's a spread of over 25C in just one week 😮  

• Like 11
  • That's Metal 2

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

50 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, doing this with someone else live who knew what they were doing would have been so much nicer.  I'm not sure what the deal was, but my tortillas were craggy, crumbly and thick and yet simultaneously super sticky.   The consistency felt right, and matched both your description and what your links said.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Nuts. Well, if you feel like making a video or something for me to check out, I’m happy to. Tortilla Form Check. :D

50 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Then I got started on some other fun stuff, including the Hateful Badger thing @PaulG and @DoubleTrouble were working on.  I was not planning to give it a go at full speed, but there was another guy there who also wanted to give it a try, so having someone there to show off to provided that little bit of extra incentive I needed

Damn dude, that’s super impressive. It’s convincing me I need to get back to that move. And also that I should be practicing on a higher bar, something to give me clearance between my head and the ground.

52 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Dinner was Orange Goose Leg with vegetable gravy and a side of fresh cucumbers

H99poeg.jpg

That looks freaking delicious. Is this the goose just rubbed with orange zest or something, or is there a full-on orange sauce?

• Like 3

Cowardly Assassin

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I also decided to try out a new move that the other guy was doing which looked both fun and cool.  No idea what it is called, though

Oooooh I used to do these in elementary school all the time - we had a tree there in the school garden, that had those perfect branches for things like these. :D 

Looks super fun!! 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6

14 hours ago, PaulG said:

Damn dude, that’s super impressive. It’s convincing me I need to get back to that move. And also that I should be practicing on a higher bar, something to give me clearance between my head and the ground.

Yeah, I definitely have a much easier time with it on the higher bar

14 hours ago, PaulG said:

That looks freaking delicious. Is this the goose just rubbed with orange zest or something, or is there a full-on orange sauce?

It's based on this recipe from Nomnompaleo

6 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Oooooh I used to do these in elementary school all the time - we had a tree there in the school garden, that had those perfect branches for things like these. :D 

Looks super fun!! 

It is fun, I didn't have the courage when I was kid to try these and was quite jealous of the other kids who could

------------------------

This morning started out with a D&D session for my LMOP group. 

Spoiler

The party started out having just taken out the flameskull and still had to clear out the rest of the zombies.  Then they went back for a ong rest and got ambushed by a bunch of skeletons.  Moving out in the morning he ran into an ocre jelly and then ended up facing the flameskull again for the second time.  They were able to dispatch it very quickly this time and then moved on and discovered a couple of bugbears just as we ran out of time.  Later, I was reading up about flameskulls (I really should have done this first) and realized that I was playing it completely wrong and the party got off super easy because I was missing a whole bunch of stuff the thing could do.  The encounters really should have been much more difficult for them but oh well.  Learning from your mistakes is a part of DMing.

After D&D I headed out to the park because it was nice and warm again.  Same as yesterday I decided to forego my regular exercises and did whatever looked fun.  I did a bunch of gymnastics and some calisthenics and a little bit of parkour as well.  The same guy from yesterday was there and I learned another new move from him which again I have no idea what it is called.

I skipped my run because I really just wanted to play Skyrim but at least I did my stretching.  For my tuck compression, one of the things I do is get into a squat and stay there while I try to solve a Rubik's Cube.  So far I can only get the first 2 layers before I need to stand up and take a break. 

Dinner was lasagna which turned out really well

LAwstlb.jpg

• Like 9

Level 2 Ninja

16 hours ago, PaulG said:

And also that I should be practicing on a higher bar, something to give me clearance between my head and the ground.

Wait... you're practicing without that right now? 😨

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

THOSE BAR TRICKS ALL LOOK SO FUN. That angry badger thing looks a bit like my beam mount, haha. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:48 PM, fitnessgurl said:

You do such cool exercises! 

Thanks!  I also do boring exercises, but I only show off the cool ones :) 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:35 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Dang you put down both hands at once! Scary!

It really is scary.  I am still surprised that I could override my brain's fear lock to make it happen

On 1/14/2021 at 12:59 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Wait... you're practicing without that right now? 😨

Yeah, protec yo nek!

On 1/14/2021 at 1:01 AM, raptron said:

THOSE BAR TRICKS ALL LOOK SO FUN. That angry badger thing looks a bit like my beam mount, haha. 

I am having a hard time envisioning how you could use this to get onto a beam without falling off the other side onto your head...

---------------------------------

Yesterday I did absolutely nothing but play Skyrim on the couch for the entire day.

The end.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am having a hard time envisioning how you could use this to get onto a beam without falling off the other side onto your head...

It could be a Playful Dolphin (the forward version you did the first time). Or it COULD be: backward bridge, kick over, crotch beam mount.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin

Came to support the challenge...

Staying for the food pics. Keep it up!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] <--Current Challenge

Current Saiyan form -  Super Saiyan 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, PaulG said:

Yeah, but because of the lack of clearance, I’m not doing quite the same thing. Definitely need a higher bar...

I am still a little confused with your nomenclature on these moves.  If the playful dolphin is forwards like a front walkover and the hateful badger is both hands backwards in a back walkover, what is the one hand to the side like a cartwheel (the move in the video)?

On 1/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, PaulG said:

It could be a Playful Dolphin (the forward version you did the first time). Or it COULD be: backward bridge, kick over, crotch beam mount.

Could be, but those don't seem like they would give enough height to get up onto a beam.  Maybe a springboard flippy version?

8 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Came to support the challenge...

Staying for the food pics. Keep it up!

It's a fine day with you around!

Welcome

-------------------------------------

Yesterday I started puttering around the house doing something I'm sure.  I can't really recall now.  Around noon I headed over to the park for a workout and did a bunch more the same, mostly gymnastics and parkour related stuff, although a bit of strength stuff was thrown in for good measure.  Everything felt super heavy, though.

After I finished up at the park, I had to run into ton to the church building because they needed me to turn on the heat so the pipes don't freeze.*  I met with the leader of our congregation while I was there to take care of some financial stuff so we could finally close out the 2020 fiscal year  

* Last week when it was -18c on the way to school, the grocery store by his school had their pipes burst and there was a little river flowing out from under the front door.  I stopped and watched for a few seconds watching the water freeze as it flowed before I realized my boots had started to freeze to the sidewalk.  I got to walk the rest of the way home with an icy crust stuck to the bottom of my boots which was an adventure in itself.

When I got home I was planning to do a run and then stretch, but the siren song of Skyrim was too strong.  I finished up the Dawnguard questline and got started on the Dark Brotherhood stuff.  

• Like 7

Level 2 Ninja

This morning started out with my family D&D session.  They are in the lower level of the Sunless Citadel and ran into The Gardner, a bugbear, and my niece (the face of the party and chief negotiator) rolled a nat one trying to convince him to let them through.  That resulted in a massive battle that I had to nerf a little bit to keep it from becoming a TPK.  Normally I wouldn't do that kind of thing but these are all pre-teen kids playing D&D for the first time so I had a few of the monsters hold back when they didn't need, or redirect attacks to the stronger players with the most HP.

After D&D Ghostess and I went to the repair shop to pick up the car that she wrecked a couple of weeks ago. One of the decorative pieces on the grill was still out of shape or not attached properly so I waited around for them to get that done while she went to go shopping.  After the car was finished, I met her at the mall, which was completely packed.  I didn't want to be there, but we ended up staying there for about 3 hours while she cruised around looking at all the new stores that have opened up since we were there last.  

After the mall, we went over to Ikea because we need some new dressers.  We ended up staying there for a lot longer than we expected as well, but I got some kitchen supplies I was in need of, so I was less grumpy.    We picked up dinner for the Ikea cafeteria, and I was impressed that it is now a lot better than it used to be.  Instead of the spaghetti they used to have, they now had a sausage & lamb chop plate that was surprisingly good.  We brought all of the food home along with our shopping and by the time we got back it was already 9:30pm.  

When we got home, Ghostlet had finished most of his homework and was having an online discussion with some classmates about some biology questions they were reviewing.  I figured he was probably going to spend most of the day playing Minecraft and watching Tik-Tok so I was very pleasantly surprised.

After dinner, we gave Wraith a bath which went surprisingly smoothly but between the bath and the drying, we didn't finish until almost midnight.  I am now ready to hop in bed and get some sleep.

• Like 8

Level 2 Ninja

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am still a little confused with your nomenclature on these moves.  If the playful dolphin is forwards like a front walkover and the hateful badger is both hands backwards in a back walkover, what is the one hand to the side like a cartwheel (the move in the video)?

I believe that one would be called a “crappy Hateful Badger attempt”. :D

In the context of parkour, going at either move straight-on is kind of de-emphasized. The coach who taught it to me, Tyson Cecka, taught it on a spectrum — you can go straight-on, or kind of cartwheel in. When I was good at it, I used to favor going into a Playful Dolphin with my hands staggered a bit — that way I’d spin up with one buttcheek on the obstacle, and my legs would exit staggered on the other side. It was a lot more comfy to land on one side of the butt. It also felt good for running out of the move or switching directions.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

After dinner, we gave Wraith a bath which went surprisingly smoothly but between the bath and the drying, we didn't finish until almost midnight.  I am now ready to hop in bed and get some sleep.

You bathed a cat and lived to tell the tale?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath