Hello Rebels,

My name is Ellis and I have come back to the forums after a long break, during which I walked far, slayed a few metaphorical monsters and left a few others behind.

As this new year begins, I want to make friends of some of my remaining foes; issues that I keep coming back to in dark times, and now feel I have enough energy to deal with.

Work

Work is not a foe; I love my job. But being a freelancer, I constantly struggle with stress, balance and scheduling. I stay up late, sleep in, work irregular hours and feel that I never have time for anything other than work. My first step in dealing with this will be to sort out my sleep schedule.

Sedentariness

I like sitting still, all my interests and hobbies are sedentary. But for the sake of my mental and physical wellbeing, I need to move around more. I want to get back in to running, and maybe some sort of strength training or yoga eventually. My first step will be daily walks.

Other people

I'm an introvert, working a lonely job, and last year I moved to a new town during a global pandemic. I spend a lot of time by myself. But I like people! Once the opportunity arises, I want to make an effort to meet some new friends, and join a community through sports, hobbies or church. As things are, I will focus on keeping in touch with my existing friends, and try to explore this and other digital forums.

Myself

Eh, there is no specific goal for this. I just put it here as a reminder to be like Barf, and not beat myself up about getting everything right.

12-Spaceballs-quotes.gif.2721c77358920dc726e295a9be39106b.gif

For this first challenge, my goals are going to be simple:

• Wake up at 7:30 every day for the first two weeks, then consider changing it to 7 am. I anticipate it being difficult to get out of bed at first, but after a while I think the biggest hardship will be getting to bed on time in the evening so that I get enough sleep.

• Walk 5 km every day.

• Check in here fairly regularly. Interact and be inspired.

That's it. Those are the goals. We'll see how we go with tracking and such.

Happy to be back!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Welcome back! Are you planning to walk the 5km all in one go every day, or break it up into smaller work-break sized chunks?

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

On 1/2/2021 at 8:19 PM, Rookie said:

Welcome back and great goals. 😊

That has to be hard moving somewhere new and not getting to meet people in your new community.

Thanks!

Ya, it's been a bit weird. 😕 Overall, I've been lucky in so many ways during this pandemic, but when I decided on the move I kind of reckoned with a different type of situation. Plus side, I've really learned to enjoy hour-long phone conversations with friends and family ... 

• Like 1

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

On 1/2/2021 at 9:34 PM, Catherinitude said:

Man the life of freelancing has the best perks and some of the the worse drawbacks if you don't keep them in check.  Following in hope you find the magic spell to work-life balance as a free-lancer so that I can steal it. 

Haha, I'll be sure to let you know! :) I'm never sure if I feel more silly or like a WFH pro when I go through three pairs of sweatpants in day; one pair for work, one for walks, and one for lazing on the couch ... Gotta try to maintain those boundaries!

16 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Welcome back! Are you planning to walk the 5km all in one go every day, or break it up into smaller work-break sized chunks?

Thanks! The idea is to do most of it in one go at lunch, since it gets dark early where I'm at, and it's good to get some sunlight. Some days I'll probably take a shorter walk in the morning or evening for errands though.

Day 2 check-in!

Sunday was a bit of a crazy day to start the challenge, since I had a deadline and ended up working til very late. These are the situations I'm working to avoid, but one step at a time!

Got out of bed at 9, so no points there.

*Did* go for a long walk in the daylight - first proper cold winterday we've had so far, which was really nice. All in all, 5 km done!

Monday started in a most Monday-like manner with bad news about my car and about a previous project. Going for a walk really helped my mood, and I ended up having a much better afternoon: *win*!

Got out of bed at 8:30, so at least an improvement.

5 km done (even though my phone died because of the cold, so no proof even for myself)

Oh, and I've almost finished my very first audiobook! "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell". I love it. ❤️

3 hours ago, ellis_e said:

Thanks!

Ya, it's been a bit weird. 😕 Overall, I've been lucky in so many ways during this pandemic, but when I decided on the move I kind of reckoned with a different type of situation. Plus side, I've really learned to enjoy hour-long phone conversations with friends and family ... 

Well you should definitely continue that after the pandemic 😊 at least for those you can't catch up with regularly on person.

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Although I'm not a freelancer, I can relate to some points. I also enjoy my job, but the pressure is pretty high sometimes, and with 100% home office since March it's pretty isolating, unless I really make an effort. My tendency is also towards sofa-related activities (X-box, Netflix, reading) and I have to push myself a bit to get up and out into the world for fresh air, exercise and a dose of Vit D.

Thanks for your support on my thread 🙂 I'll follow your updates. Good luck!

On 1/6/2021 at 1:26 PM, JennyM said:

Although I'm not a freelancer, I can relate to some points. I also enjoy my job, but the pressure is pretty high sometimes, and with 100% home office since March it's pretty isolating, unless I really make an effort. My tendency is also towards sofa-related activities (X-box, Netflix, reading) and I have to push myself a bit to get up and out into the world for fresh air, exercise and a dose of Vit D.

Thanks for your support on my thread 🙂 I'll follow your updates. Good luck!

Thanks! :) This year I guess a lot of people are experiencing both the good and the bad of working from home. It's definitely true that not getting that daily dose of both socializing and walking about you get at a proper office (without even thinking about it) makes a big difference.

Day ... 5, is it day 5 already? Update, in any event

I don't know why, but I'm completely tanking at the whole getting-out-of-bed thing. Maybe it's too much of a shift from last week and Christmas, maybe it's that I stay up late to check NerdFitness and drink port wine ... who knows these things?

I'm going for 8 am tomorrow, and if I can manage that, I'll be happy. Going to set my Beyonce alarm and everything. At the end of the challenge, I'll have to evaluate which is the more effective for waking me up: Beyonce or The Clash. So far, the score is 0-0.

On a more positive note, I've done my 5 km walks every day! It's been nice, I usually go for at least one walk a day normally, but often it just ends up being a shorter route to the store or so. 5 km (about an hour?) is enough that I can actually get into the mindset of walking, and will even feel a little bit tired after.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:53 AM, ellis_e said:

Day ... 5, is it day 5 already? Update, in any event

I don't know why, but I'm completely tanking at the whole getting-out-of-bed thing. Maybe it's too much of a shift from last week and Christmas, maybe it's that I stay up late to check NerdFitness and drink port wine ... who knows these things?

I'm going for 8 am tomorrow, and if I can manage that, I'll be happy. Going to set my Beyonce alarm and everything. At the end of the challenge, I'll have to evaluate which is the more effective for waking me up: Beyonce or The Clash. So far, the score is 0-0.

On a more positive note, I've done my 5 km walks every day! It's been nice, I usually go for at least one walk a day normally, but often it just ends up being a shorter route to the store or so. 5 km (about an hour?) is enough that I can actually get into the mindset of walking, and will even feel a little bit tired after.

That's some great work there! 5km/day is good stuff. I've done the opposite - I've been waking up on time almost every day (one or two small slips of 15-20 minutes) but getting the walks in is hard.  The food part has been pretty easy, no big slips apart from one mug cake as a result of late-night munchies. I can live with that! Congrats on your new walking habit 🙂