Bigm's Everything Old is New Again

21 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you are enjoying your bicycle,

Definitely didn't say I was enjoying it. It's still extra cardio after all :D

• Like 3

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Sorry about the car, but happy that you weren't hurt at all. Are you planning to continue to ride your bike more often when when you have the car back again?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

On 1/7/2021 at 2:51 AM, bigm141414 said:

• I really need my holiday belly to go away, because it's messing with my squat form. Gotta stand a bit wider to make room for the tummy.

I’ve had that too, it’s the worst x) 

Are you aggressively looking on the bright side? Or actually enjoying not having a car right now? 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yikes, sorry to hear about the car crash, but glad you’re rolling with the adjustment to the bike life (and that you live somewhere with half decent public transit for getting to work).

I will always advocate for better public transportation. When it works it's great for quality of life.

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Sorry about the car, but happy that you weren't hurt at all. Are you planning to continue to ride your bike more often when when you have the car back again?

Thanks y'all. I appreciate it.

I've wanted to ride to work for a few years. I used to bike to work quite often back when I called Texas home. And I used to walk to work when I lived in the northeast. The west coast made it a bit harder because I live quite a bit furtheer away from the office, and the full bike ride to work would have taken me on some scary roads, so I avoided it. Plus I worked long hours, and the thought of tacking on a 13 mile bike ride to and from the office was daunting.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

I’ve had that too, it’s the worst x) 

Are you aggressively looking on the bright side? Or actually enjoying not having a car right now? 

Hah, no definitely not being aggressively positive (side note, i love that term because it perfectly describes the mentality a lot of people have in my area of the world)

I'm being realistic about the situation. I can't change what happened, and have little control on the current circumstances but I can enjoy the unexpected benefits (e.g extra garage space to do project work, biking to work for the extra health benefits). I also realize that I am exceptionally privileged that the car-less situation doesn't completely upend my life. I work from home, I can have groceries delivered, I have the finances and insurance to get the car repairs, and also have options for traveling if I need to. There are others where this would be a serious burden to them so that helps keep my current situation in perspective.

Plus, I don't particularly enjoy driving, I've had my current car since Jan of 2016 and have only put 35k miles on it. And 3k of those miles came from my drive to Texas over the holiday. If I could I would get rid of the thing, but alas, the US is built to be highly dependent on car travel

• Like 6

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

That’s a great way to look at it :) 

2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

but alas, the US is built to be highly dependent on car travel

I noticed that when I visited, it’s too bad, but really not an easy thing to change I guess. But I’ll be honest, a car is always going to be easier.

10 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I will always advocate for better public transportation. When it works it's great for quality of life.

Plus, I don't particularly enjoy driving, I've had my current car since Jan of 2016 and have only put 35k miles on it. And 3k of those miles came from my drive to Texas over the holiday. If I could I would get rid of the thing, but alas, the US is built to be highly dependent on car travel

Yep. Driving is really stressful. When public transport sucks, it's stressful, too. But when it's good it's so helpful. Well, it was until covid. But it will be good once again. Imagine having all these train drivers to drive me places! All I have to do is board and listen to music and watch the curiously oily stations go by. And with the new tracks it only takes me five hours to get to the other side of the country.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Updates:

Week 1.7

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • This was a great hip opening, relaxing session. I bookmarked it for future watching because my lower back and hips felt really good afterwards.
  • Lifting 4/ 4- 
    • Squat - 5x5
      • Nothing special. Another easy session getting back into the groove
    • Bench 5x5
      • Same as squats. Nothing exciting. Although I did accidentally to 8 reps on the first set because I can't count.
    • DL - 5x5
      • DL weight is finally getting to a level where I am feeling the resistance. It's helping my form quite a bit .
  • Cycle 4/4 - Rest day for cycling
    • Rest day once again.

In other news, I spent about 90 minutes squaring up one of the legs for my workbench. Pretty proud of myself since it acutaly came out square. And I took a stab at cutting the angled ends by hand, these were more difficult than I expected and I am glad I left plenty of room from my marking line.

Week 2.1

New week!

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • A balanced focus session which I hate because I have no balance. And my poor ankles, they are so weak and tire so easily when I have to stand on one foot. Le sigh.
  • Lifting 1/4- 
    • Nothing special. I pitter pattered around the rack between exercises.
    • Squat - 5x5
    • OHP 5x5
    • DL - 5x5
  • Cycle 1/4 - Constant cadence ride
    • 20 minutes. I kept the RPMs between 90-95 and varied the resistance. Burned a few more calories this session
    • I spent some time tuning up my gears. I am still skipping one of the chainrings, but I oiled everything and it pedals better now. I ordered/received a handlebar mirror for my impending commuting trips and installed that as well.
    • Part of the tuning, I raised the bike seat about an inch or two. Feels better now. The seat was too low and I wasn't getting very good leg extension on my pedal strokes. They do now. Much more efficient

I spent a few hours in the kitchen putting my Instant Pot to good use batch cooking food for the week. I made some homemade refried beans, some pulled chicken which I portioned out into 6 meals, and then some sweet potato red lentil soup. I was planning to raost some vegetables and make a tofu enchilada filling, but I ran out of motivation so those will have to wait for a future day.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

16 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Updates:

Week 1.7

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • This was a great hip opening, relaxing session. I bookmarked it for future watching because my lower back and hips felt really good afterwards.

Which one was this one?

• Same as squats. Nothing exciting. Although I did accidentally to 8 reps on the first set because I can't count.

Lmao, quite the overshoot there. 

• I spent a few hours in the kitchen putting my Instant Pot to good use batch cooking food for the week. I made some homemade refried beans, some pulled chicken which I portioned out into 6 meals, and then some sweet potato red lentil soup.

Yummm.

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Bummer about the car, but it honestly sounds like you are handling this the best way anyone could be expected to :)

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 1/11/2021 at 3:23 AM, bigm141414 said:

Part of the tuning, I raised the bike seat about an inch or two. Feels better now. The seat was too low and I wasn't getting very good leg extension on my pedal strokes. They do now. Much more efficient

Oh yes that is such a difference! 
a rearview mirror on a bike sounds very odd to my Dutch ears, but whatever keeps you save 🙏🏻

On 1/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, Harriet said:

Yep. Driving is really stressful. When public transport sucks, it's stressful, too. But when it's good it's so helpful. Well, it was until covid. But it will be good once again. Imagine having all these train drivers to drive me places! All I have to do is board and listen to music and watch the curiously oily stations go by. And with the new tracks it only takes me five hours to get to the other side of the country.

Or to my place! Though I’d rather come over there and eat out three/four times a day. 

• Like 1

Week 2.2

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • More balance work towards the end with tree pose. My right side (which is my non-dominate side) is much more stable in tree pose than my left.
  • Lifting 1/4 - Rest daaaaay!
  • Cycle 2/4 - Constant cadence ride
    • Upped the ride time to 25 minutes
    • 5 min warm up, 15 minute constant cadence ride, 5 min cool down.

Week 2.3

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • Today's yoga was very much a flow day. Lots of position changes and movement aspects, not so much passive stretching that happened in the first week. Which is to be expected. Also to be expected is the massive amounts of flopping that went on as I tried to keep up with the video. It was blessedly short.
  • Lifting 2/4- 
    • Squat, bench and DL at 5x5.
    • Not bad, weight is still light
    • My woodworking setup was very distracting today between exercises. Between sets I have a timer to keep me on track, but I do not have one between exercises. So I ended up going over to work on my workbench legs and got distracted so today's session took longer than expected.
    • I noticed on DLs that I wasn't fully extending at the hips and I think that was causing me to set the bar down all wonky, so today's focus was on getting those hips extended and those glutes squeezed at the top. Seemed to help.
  • Cycle 2/4 - Ride Rest Day
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

a rearview mirror on a bike sounds very odd to my Dutch ears, but whatever keeps you save 🙏🏻

I live off of a fairly busy street, 6 lanes 40mph speed limit. There is a bike lane on the road but I don't trust cars turning right. The mirror concept is new to me as well, but I am 100% okay with being a defensive biker when commuting.

22 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Bummer about the car, but it honestly sounds like you are handling this the best way anyone could be expected to :)

Trying to! Exercise and some decent weather outside is helping my mood.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Or to my place! Though I’d rather come over there and eat out three/four times a day. 

When the pandemic is over I'll show you where the falafels are. And the nice markets.

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Week 2.4

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • I slept in this morning so I ended up doing today's video at the end of the day. It was a very short one, clocking in at 18 minutes. Downward dog stretches and a nice long sit in a squat position. This actually started to burn after about a minute. I am not used to sitting in the hole for so long because lifters ain't got time for that, am I right?
  • Lifting 3/4- 
    • Squat, OHP and DL at 5x5.
    • Things are going well. DLs are getting dialed in, squat weight is getting up there again.
  • Cycle 3/4 - 25 minutes pyramid resistance ride.
    • Since I have done a few easy rides, today I started actually trying to make a workout out of it. 5 minute warm up at light resistance, then 15 minutes of pyramid resistances(go up 3 settings, then back down), with changes every 3 minutes, then 5 minute cool down. I tried to keep a constant cadence between 85-90 RPM. Went pretty good and definitely burned more calories today on the bike.

Pretty short update for the day. Tomorrow I have to go into the office, which will be my first bike/train commute experience. Should be fun!

• Like 5

I'm CACKLING at that video 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Week 2.5

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • My spine, back, lats, delts, shoulders, basically the upper half of my body needed this.
  • Lifting 3/4 - Rest day!
  • Cycle 4/4 - Commute to work
    • Okay, so I totally was going to do an acutal trainer ride when I got home, but honestly, my total commute was a little over 7.5 miles today so I am counting that.
    • The ride this morning to the train station wasn't bad, got turned around a bit trying to find the entrance. It was an easy ride. And the train ride was empty. I was the only person in the bike car and it was so easy. 2 stops later I hopped off and pedaled the quarter mile to my office doors.

In other news, I got the payout information from my car. It's totalled and I was not expecting much, because cars suck at holding value. But, I was pleasently surprised that they are giving me more than I expected which makes it a bit easier to car shop for a new vehicle. Luckily I am in no rush, since bike commuting seems to be okay and I can still get most things delivered.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

In other news, I got the payout information from my car. It's totalled and I was not expecting much, because cars suck at holding value. But, I was pleasently surprised that they are giving me more than I expected which makes it a bit easier to car shop for a new vehicle. Luckily I am in no rush, since bike commuting seems to be okay and I can still get most things delivered.

Nice surprise :) 

The commute did sound very smooth! awesome. 

On 1/14/2021 at 4:31 PM, bigm141414 said:

I'm not saying this is me, but this is definitely me:

Ok I laughed, but pfffff. Just gimme tight. Functional tightness yes. Go away with your yoga. 

But also....

On 1/14/2021 at 3:55 AM, bigm141414 said:

and a nice long sit in a squat position. This actually started to burn after about a minute. I am not used to sitting in the hole for so long because lifters ain't got time for that, am I right?

you don't do that every day? :P

• Like 1

Week 2.6

• Daily Yoga - Done
  • Lifting 3/4 - Rest day part 2!
  • Cycle 5/4 - Commute to work
    • I had to pedal over to the body shop to clean out the last bits from my car. Mainly my insurance and registration papers as well as some ice scrapers that were left under the seat. So that was the final sight of my old car. On to finding a new one!
    • The commute to and from work was, again, easy enough. I learned that if I leave the front door of my office with ten minutes to spare, I can make it to the train in time without rushing. This is good to know.

Week 2.7

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • Was not a fan of this session, and my heart just wasn't in it. It definitely wasn't a relaxing event.
  • Lifting4/4 -
    • Squat, bench and DL all at 5x5.
    • No issues, but it took way long today. I was distracted by working on my workbench between exercises. Ended up being like 2 hours for three exercises.
  • Cycle 5/4 - Cycling rest day!
    • Woooo! my legs could use it.

Week 3.1

• Daily Yoga - Done
    • Today's video was a breath control exercise and more meditative. I was okay with the slow pace of things and focus on breathing without the added extra movements. Sometimes it's just nice to try and focus on clearing the mind.
  • Lifting 1/4 -
    • Squat, bench and DL all at 5x5.
    • I tried to keep on schedule today. I have a 2m15s timer for individual sets (I try to complete 5 reps in 15 seconds and then rest 2 minutes) but today I added a 5 minute timer on my watch so I could focus on setting up the next lift. Worked out well. The lifs clocked in under an hour so it was a much more efficient system
    • Deadlifts were getting heavy enough that hookgrip was starting to pinch. I am going to try and hold out a few more sessions before switching to mixed grip.
    • I've also contemplated picking up some Fat Gripz for accessory grip training. I am approaching the time of year where I buy Things(TM) for my home gym. I'd love to be able to get some decent adjustable dumbbells and an incline/decline bench. Small accessory stuff is always on my list.
  • Cycle 1/4 - 300 calorie timed ride.
    • My legs were a bit tired from squatting, so instead of pedaling for a set amount of time, I decided to try to see how fast I could burn 300 calories. It turns out I can do that in 19 minutes and 21 second. I don't know what to do with this new information but it is data.

Now that I have been at this for a few weeks and things are going well, I've started thinking about longer term yearly goals. This is the first year in many that I am not recovering from some type of injury. The last two years were ankle related, the few before that were knee and shoulder related. So it's weird that I don't have to spend months rehabbing and building back up movement patterns and mental fortitude. I HAVE SO MUCH MORE TIME NOW!

All that said, I have decided on two main fitness goals:

1. For my vanity - I want to grow my arms, shoulders and chest
    • I never skip leg day, but boy have I skipped many upper body workouts. It'd be nice to have bigger arms and more well defined shoulders instead of the sticks that are currently attached to my torso.
    • I've never really focused on bodybuilding or bro style pump workouts before; I have some reading and trial and error ahead as I figure out a way fit in this goal along with the next one. And I have to make baseline measurements at some point.
  2. For my strength - This is the year I train for a 2/4/6 plate bench/squat/deadlift.
    • Last year I made some great strides toward this goal. Hitting the above numbers would be a PR for both squat and deadlift, and I would tie my all time best bench (gods do I hate bench).
    • The plate goals are 10-15% above my last year's maxes so that increase over the course of a year should definitely be doable.
    • As for programming, I am going to continue this challenge with 5x5 for the big 4 and start putting together the macro/meso cycles. It will probably be a focused mesocycle per big lift and accessories and conditioning for the other two. A modified Smolov for squats, take some inspiration from Coan for deadlifts, and I still need to figure out bench. I'll probably run the squat focus mesocycle first, then bench, then DL last. That way my back and legs get some rest before being pushed to their limits. I dunno. It's all in flux right now, and I need to organize my thoughts.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:54 PM, KB Girl said:

you don't do that every day? :P

Lifters ain't got time to waste still down in the hole. We got more reps to do. XD

• Like 5

Very nice! Crushing your goals this challenge :)

On 1/17/2021 at 7:45 PM, bigm141414 said:
  1. For my vanity - I want to grow my arms, shoulders and chest
    • I never skip leg day, but boy have I skipped many upper body workouts. It'd be nice to have bigger arms and more well defined shoulders instead of the sticks that are currently attached to my torso.

HARD SAME. Idk who's idea it was to give me tree trunk legs and spaghetti arms but I'd like to have a word with them

2/4/6 is an awesome goal! I like the thought process :)

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads