Blaze the Bounty Hunter: This is the Way - Part I

giphy.gif

Here I go again, back after a long absense.

Ever since I was finally able to binge-watch both seasons of The Mandalorian last month, (and I'm now watching them all again, just a bit slower this time), I've been enthralled by the whole 'this is the way' mantra of our hero.  I've always considered myself a 'bounty hunter' in the line of Boba Fett, but now there's so much more information than just the few random scenes of a barely-there character in the original trilogy.  So I've been trying to figure out what exactly is 'the Way' that will work best for me. - a method to help me with my diet and fitness goals, but that could also be applied to other areas of my life, like keeping my house clean, and getting things accomplished. 

It's been a rough year that saw me hit my highest weight ever of 246, and right now I'm at 243.6.   I know, know, know that I can't just resolve to  lose weight and expect to actually have it all fall away overnight.   But I need to start, to take the first steps no matter how small that will propel me forward, consistently, into a better version of me

Trying to find my 'word' for 2021, a word to focus on that would encompass the sort of improvement in all aspects of my life that I want to make, I stumbled upon this word - KAIZEN - that I actually attended a virtual seminar about through work this past summer - kaizen and ikigai.  That was mostly about applying the Japanese philosophy of 'good change' or continual improvement to the workplace, but it certainly can be applied to one's personal life as well.  It's the idea of just trying to make each day 1% better than the day before.  I've had my ups and downs, lots of downs, this past year, but I feel like a 1% daily improvement is totally doable. 

And Boba thinks so too!

giphy.gif

My targets for this challenge:

MOVE MORE- I've been averaging just 3,822 steps per day since about Thanksgiving, not even 27,000 steps per week.  So my goal will be to increase that amount each week of this challenge to work my way up to 5,000 steps per day.

GOAL                                   RESULT

Week 1    28,000 steps                    27,820 (missed it like a storm trooper)

Week 2    30,000 steps                    37,272 WooHoo!

Week 3    32,000 steps                   ____________

Week 4    33,500 steps                   ____________

Week 5    35,000 steps                   ____________

EAT BETTER - I don't really cook, and I don't see that changing much in the near future.  I eat frozen/convenience foods and meals more often than anything.   But what I can change is to get back to eating fruits and veggies, which have been sorely neglected in my diet of late.  This goal is designed to get me eating fresh fruit and/or veggies  as a snack or part of a meal at least once a day by the end of the challenge

Week 1    3 fresh fruit or veg        I had at least one every day

Week 2    4 fresh f/v                         Done (barely)

Week 3    5 fresh f/v                         ____________

Week 4    6 fresh f/v                         ____________

Week 5    7 fresh f/v                         ____________

TIDY UP - This goal is just for me to get rid of crap cluttering up my apartment and throw away the stuff I've been hanging onto for ages that can easily be tossed or given away.  I don't think it will be too difficult to get rid of 75 things altogether, but I will work on the habit of looking at my stuff more critically so I can get rid of the junk I just don't need cluttering up my life.

Week 1    Remove 5 things            Removed a box of crap and a bag of clothes (way more than 5 things, but we'll call it even)

Week 2    Remove 10 things          Located, collected, and disposed of 10 items this week, 3 of them quite large

Week 3    Remove 15 things            ____________

Week 4    Remove 20 things            ____________

Week 5    Remove 25 things            ____________

None of this seems too difficult for a first challenge after so long away from the game.  Success means reward, so let's go get those bounties!

giphy.gif

For extra motivation, I'm awarding myself points for each successful week, each goal achieved - 5 points per week per goal.  And for each day that I can say I've done something 'extra', something beneficial - cleaning, working out, taking a class, etc. - I can earn a bonus point, up to three points per day.  My target is 100 points over the course of the challenge - success means leveling up and getting some nerdy merchandise.  ^_^

Total Points Earned

Week 1 =  22

Week 2 =  22

Week 3 = 

Week 4 = 

Week 5 = 

• Like 6

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

• Blaze changed the title to Blaze the Bounty Hunter: This is the Way - Part I

I read a book on personal life kaizen a few years back, and loved it. It really put into perspective some of the messaging about change. Ikigai is on my reading list, but has yet to float to the top. I feel it should, though.

High Five Cosplay GIF by Boba Fett Fan Club

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Looking at the goals I came up with last night, they seem so small.  But that's sort of the point of Kaizen - small changes toward the better.  I think I will add some bonus goals to shoot for though, just to make things interesting for this bounty hunting girl.  I do want to start strength training again, and I've picked up the Nerd Fitness Journey app that will hopefully keep me on track.

But in this post I just want to record my weight and measurements for the start of 2021. 

• Weight:  243.5
  • Bust:  52.5
  • Chest: 42
  • Waist: 49
  • Hips: 50
  • Thighs:  L 28.5 / R 28
  • Calves:  L 17.5 / R 17.5
  • Upper arm:  L 16 /  16
  • Forearm: L 11.5 / R 11.5

As much as I don't want to see how rotund I've become, it will be that much sweeter to be able to track the pounds and inches as I knock them down to size, so to speak.

Cobb Vanth The Mandalorian GIF - CobbVanth TheMandalorian ItsGonnaBeGreat GIFs

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

5 hours ago, Blaze said:

Looking at the goals I came up with last night, they seem so small.  But that's sort of the point of Kaizen - small changes toward the better. 

You can always make some adjustments after week 1, and you designed it to ramp up slowly, so it should look easy in week 1, right?

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Week 1

Sunday

Steps:   3,893  

F/V:   Mixed veggies with supper

Discard: 0

Bonus:  I feel like just signing up for this challenge and setting my goals counts as  a definite beneficial activity for the day.  +1

Monday

Steps:4,126

F/V: Cantaloupe & Cabbage (not at the same time)

Bonus:  I got up early before work and did 10 minutes of cardio.  +1

I finally made a meal out of the head of cabbage I picked up a couple weeks ago.  +1

Tuesday

Steps: 3,638

F/V:  Cabbage dish & Apple & Mixed veggies

Discard:

Bonus:  Made my bed!  This is a bigger deal than it sounds because I rotated my mattress first (big job!), and then put clean, fresh everything on.  ^_^  +1

Wednesday.

Steps:3,758

F/V: - 

Discard:  - 

Bonus:  Did a morning walking cardio video -15 minutes of steps +1

Thursday

Steps:2,018

F/V:  Canteloupe

Discard: - 

Bonus:

Friday

Steps:  4,196

F/V:  Cabbage

Bonus:  Forced myself out of the house to go for a very cold walk around the neighborhood.. +1

Saturday

Steps: 6,201

F/V:  Mixed Veggies

Discard:  -

Bonus - Snowshoeing in the park, awesome! +1

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

How's it going? I like your goals. I started my fitness journey at 256.4 pounds on my 5'4" frame back in October. The past few months have taught me that small changes performed consistently are the most effective. Building up your veggies and steps in bits will cumulatively mean a lot. Go you!

• Like 1

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

I'm over-achieving on my fruits and veggies goal, so that's good.  Trying to get in steps daily to keep me on pace for the week one steps goal, and that's going okay.  Now I need to find a few things I can toss without regrets...

Star Wars The Mandalorian GIF - StarWars TheMandalorian Stormtrooper GIFs

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

On 1/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Blaze said:

Looking at the goals I came up with last night, they seem so small.  But that's sort of the point of Kaizen - small changes toward the better.

100% repeating this! I love the fact that your goal around fruits and veggies is reasonable with your lifestyle. It's really easy to think about all the things you want to do and try to do it all at once, but this is much more sustainable long-term - which is the bigger goal. Your bonus goals sound like a great way to balance feeling like everything is too easy and wanting to do all the things!

• Like 1

Here are the final stats on Week One of Kaizen training.

MOVE MORE - I fell short on my steps - forgot to double-check before I went to bed last night, but I only missed it by 180 steps so not horrible.  And I've definitely thought more about how I can get more movement, as well as more strength training, into my daily life.   Next week I'm in the office two days, so I know I'll get a few more steps from just leaving the house.

EAT BETTER - I crushed my modest goal of 3 days of fresh fruits/veggies.  So I plan to crush it even more in Week Two.  Maybe smoothies this week, that would be fun and tasty.

TIDY UP - For some reason I thought the last day of the first week was Sunday, so I didn't actually discard anything.  But I have cleaned up a bit, and looking around here I've got a bag full of clothes I've been setting aside to give away, plus a box of other stuff to ditch.  I'm taking them down to my car and hauling them to GoodWill right now so I don't have to look at them anymore.  That's technically way more than five things, but I won't count it as anymore than that because I had set these things aside ages ago - just finally motivating to remove them from my apartment.

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Week 2

Sunday

Steps:5,158

F/V:  -

Discard: - 1-some old undeveloped film got trashed

Bonus:  I took down all my Christmas decorations AND rearranged some furniture to fill up the spot where the tree was.  Big job gets +2

Monday

Steps: 5,456

F/V:  Cantaloupe 

Discard: - 0

Bonus:  I walked a mile and a half at lunch - first time in weeks I’ve been able to step away for any length of time.  Hopefully this trend will continue. +1

Tuesday

Steps:  5,589

F/V:  Banana

Bonus:

Wednesday

Steps: 2,081

F/V:   Corn, banana

Discard: 10

Bonus: I found 10 things to ditch in just 10 minutes, carried two big rolled up rugs and a heavy lamp down to my car, AND repurposed an old tv stand to hold my exercise equipment in my living room. WooHoo!  +3

Thursday

Steps:  4,347

F/V:  canned pear

Bonus:

Friday

Steps: 6,953

F/V:   Corn

Bonus:  

Saturday

Steps:  7,688

Bonus:  I dropped off all my 10 items at GoodWill today and then walked 1.5 miles in the park - +1

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

How did Tuesday go?

By the way - good on you for removing all of the Christmas decorations. That's no easy feat. I didn't put any up this year, but we have our pet Christmas tree hanging out on our patio, wondering if it will ever get decorated, haha.

May I ask what cabbage dish you made? I just learned how many nutrients that I am missing out on by not including cabbage in my diet. Looking to expand my veggie palate.

• Like 1

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

On 1/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, TrashcanCarla said:

How did Tuesday go?

By the way - good on you for removing all of the Christmas decorations. That's no easy feat. I didn't put any up this year, but we have our pet Christmas tree hanging out on our patio, wondering if it will ever get decorated, haha.

May I ask what cabbage dish you made? I just learned how many nutrients that I am missing out on by not including cabbage in my diet. Looking to expand my veggie palate.

I've never had a tree before, but this year because of working from home now, I needed some cheeriness to look at so I bought a nice 7 ft artificial tree with lights and did it up nice.  

A friend of mine taught me a simple buttered cabbage and noodles recipe ages ago.  You shred cabbage and cook it down a bit in some butter & chicken broth,  make noodles separately (egg noodles or whatever pasta you've got), then combine.  I added some canned chicken.   Nothing fancy, but I'm no cook so making anything myself is always an adventure, no measuring anything, just adding stuff until it tastes good, or tossing it if it can't be salvaged.

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Week 2 results...

EAT BETTER - I struggled this week, but I did four days of fresh fruits and veg, and that's what I needed to do.  

MOVE MORE - Working in the office two days this week helped me get extra steps because of how far I have to walk from where I usually park to get to my office.   But I also got in a lovely walk in the park on Saturday, saw a beautiful hawk and got to pet a dog named Maggie.  ^_^

TIDY UP - I made a small dent in my messy apartment, a win!

Foxlace

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Week 3

Sunday

Steps:  5,840

Bonus: -

Monday

Steps:  5,902

F/V:  -  Banana smoothie / spaghetti squash

Discard: - 1 item

Bonus:  Snowshoeing out in the cold!  I also cleaned up in the kitchen and dealt with my recyclables.  +2

Tuesday

Steps:  1,683

F/V:  - Pears

Discard: - -

Bonus: Didn't do much of anything today.

Wednesday

Steps:  6,080

F/V:  - Strawberry banana smoothie / spaghetti squash

Discard: - 3 articles of clothing, and 4 misc stuff boxed for GoodWill

Bonus: Despite catching a cold somewhere, I worked to clear and vacuum my living room floor and do other cleaning as well.   +2

Thursday

Steps:  5,902

F/V:  - Pears

Discard: - 4 more items to toss.

Bonus:   

Friday

Steps: 5,229

F/V:  - Spaghetti squash

Bonus:  

Saturday

Steps:  7,483

F/V:  - Strawberry/Banana Smoothie

Discard: - Several old CDs have gone bye-byed

Bonus: 

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I only did a "like" heart, but in retrospect, I should have put a "that's metal" hand on your post. Snowshoeing is totally metal.

Also, you threw something out and dealt with your recyclables!

• Thanks 1

Week Three Stats.

MOVE MORE - I had some struggles mid-week where I had a couple days when I barely moved - less than 2,000 steps per day.  BUT I was able to turn that ship around and came out ahead with over 33,000 steps this eek

EAT BETTER - Fruit smoothies helped me make my goal easily this week.  

TIDY UP - I started strong and then realized on Sunday morning that I was still short on my 15 items.  Fortunately I have a bunch of old CDs lying around.  I sorted through 10 of them and disposed of all - either to trash or give away.  

I hope to finish off these last two weeks strong  - one way or another.

The Mandalorian Mando GIF - TheMandalorian Mandalorian Mando GIFsd

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Week 4

Sunday

Steps: 3,283

Bonus:  Packers lost but I finished two outstanding crochet projects +1

Monday

Steps: 4,427

F/V:  Strawberry banana smoothie

Bonus:  

Tuesday

Steps:  5,162

Bonus:  I walked and jogged around my apartment to get my steps in, all I could do considering the snowstorm +1

Wednesday

Steps: 3,798

F/V:   Strawberry banana smoothie.  carrots and guac

Bonus: 

Thursday

Steps:  4,751

F/V:  Carrots and guac

Bonus:

Friday

Steps: 5,307

F/V:   Corn and black beans - that counts, doesn't it?

Bonus:  Once again walking and marching and moving in place to get my steps in - despite an extraordinarily crappy day. +1

Saturday

Steps:  7,234

F/V:  -  Salad greens

Discard: -20+

Bonus:  At 11 pm on Saturday I sat down to four boxes that have been sitting on one end of my living room for far too long., and I started to go through them.  First box, mostly garbage and a few things that should be put away and not sitting in a random box.  Second box much the same.  Third box, almost entirely filled with plastic containers I'd been meaning to sort through.  I decided to just trash them all instead.  Forth box - once I cleared off the random stuff on top of it - was already half-filled with things I'd set aside for GoodWill.  End result = a few things to put away, one box and two bags of trash, one box full ready to go to GoodWill, and two empty boxes I can put to better use - +4

I also went to IKEA and didn't buy ANYTHING!!  I feel like I should get another bonus point for that, plus it helped me get steps.  ^_^  +1

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Week 4 Stats

MOVE MORE -Despite feeling rather low this week, I managed to get all my steps in with a few extra steps to spare

EAT BETTER - I kind of pushed the boundaries on what I consider 'fresh', but I got there.

TIDY UP -All week long I planned to get my 20 items from those boxes in my living room, but I waited until the final hour - literally - to actually do it.  I'm quite good at procrastination.  What I need to get good at is rejecting my own excuses to delay.

I finished my second viewing of both seasons of The Mandalorian tonight.  This is most definitely the Way.

mandalorian_meme_16.jpg

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

4 hours ago, Blaze said:

I'm quite good at procrastination.  What I need to get good at is rejecting my own excuses to delay.

I feel this, so hard.  I really wish I wasn't so good at excuses...

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Week 5

Sunday

Steps: 9,695

F/V:  -  corn

Bonus:  After the big snow storm, I decided to walk to the nearest store about a mile way, to get a couple things.  On the way back I tried an alternate route that turned out to be impassible and had to go back to my original route, - mostly shoveled sidewalks and lots of huge snow-plowed drifts at intersections to climb over, so I ended up walking nearly 10,000 steps all in one go.  I was sore on Monday but felt quite accomplished!  +2

Monday

Steps: 2,081

F/V:  Salad

Bonus:  I did not feel like accomplishing anything this day.

Tuesday

Steps:  1,784

Bonus:  I felt even less like accomplishing anything this day - really bogged down with work and feeling low - BUT I did take out trash, so that's a win!

Wednesday

Steps: 8,281

F/V:   Carrots and guac, canned pears

Bonus:   Got out on my lunch hour to make sure I got some steps to make up for Tuesday.  Not really worth a bonus point, but I also got up from my desk several times today to job in place as well, earning those extra steps +1

Thursday

Steps: 2,233

F/V:  corn, 

Bonus:  Nothing to brag on.

Friday

Steps: 5,556

F/V:   carrots and guac

Discard: - =

Bonus:  It was like 9 degrees fahrenheit outside, but I still walked a mile on my lunch hour.  +1

Saturday

Steps: 5,842

F/V:   coleslaw - it's a stretch but I think it counts.

Discard: - 25

Bonus:  I bought a new living room chair, and with some help tossed my old one to the curb, a bit of work but a lovely new chair to show for it.  Plus, it gave me an awesome reason to go through some random stuff around my living room and find 25 things to trash or give away.  WooHoo!  +2

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Week 5 and Final stats

MOVE MORE -  I made it to 35,000 steps this week without too much stress, so I have to believe it shouldn't be difficult to maintain and improve on my 5,000 steps a day going forward.  WIN +25

EAT BETTER - I made my goal for the week, and for this coming week that's not counting for anything, I find myself planning way more fresh veggies and fruit than I've been in the habit of even thinking about lately.  WIN! +25

TIDY UP  - Knowing from previous experience that it's not actually that hard to find things to give away, I found it a bit easier this week, and I even tossed or gave away a couple recent purchases of things that I really don't need, and things I've been hanging on to for 'reasons' that aren't sufficient for me anymore.  WIN  +25

BONUS Tally - +32

Total = 107

I earned my first piece of 'beskar' armor for this my first Mandalorian-themed challenge.   I'll get there yet. ^_^

But for now, I can relax a little.

7747b197c8dacd6230b16eaff124554b.gif

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines