Any dancers flitting about here?

Hello!

Fairly new to the forums, so forgive me if there is a similar thread I don't know about. I recently got into ballet, doing youtube classes, and would love a space to connect with other dancers of all types. To swap tips, inspiration, encouragement. 

Ballet is a funny one since many people think you have to do it from a young age, but that's only really the case if you want to go pro. I personally took classes as a kid and had to stop due to conflicting schedules, and picking it up again aged 26 feels so good! I really want to improve my strength and flexibility so I can get those legs higher and straighter, and start dancing actual routines. I've been following Kathryn Morgan on youtube who really makes me want to get better. 

I'm far from the typical ballerina body, I've never been a size 2! I'm hoping to slim down in the coming months but I'll never be petite, I have broad shoulders and hips and have always been thicker set even when not carrying any extra weight. Still, I'm finding dancing excellent motivation to slim down a bit and more importantly to get fit, strong and flexible.

I'm also interested in other types of dancing - jazz. tap, ballroom. Be great to hear from other dancing rebels!

Current Challenge
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges:

Respawn

Limbering up
Going Forth

@Mike Wazowski, your presence has been requested. :) 

Personally  I'm going to hang out in this thread for inspiration since I was very close to signing up for dances classes (I had a studio picked out and everything) right before the pandemic hit us and made it a really bad idea to go into a closed off room with a group of strangers and do activities that increase heart and respiration rates. 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 1/3/2021 at 4:23 PM, Keladris said:

Ballet is a funny one since many people think you have to do it from a young age, but that's only really the case if you want to go pro. I personally took classes as a kid and had to stop due to conflicting schedules, and picking it up again aged 26 feels so good!

When I took ballet as a kid (I stopped in middle school), the moms decided it wasn't fair that the kids got to have all the fun. They persuaded the teacher to create an adult class for them! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)

Ooh, I'm here! Mainly a ballroom boy (since 11 years ago, started fall of 2009) and competing / training with a partner pretty much constantly. I've dabbled in ballet / jazz / tap, but nothing beyond a beginner level (intermediate / advanced at my college in jazz, but that felt like it was overstating my competence).

• Like 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Oh so happy to meet you folks!

On 1/11/2021 at 11:02 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I was very close to signing up for dances classes (I had a studio picked out and everything) right before the pandemic hit us and made it a really bad idea to go into a closed off room with a group of strangers and do activities that increase heart and respiration rates. 

I've found some online classes which is awesome since I can just respire on my own haha. Can't recommend it enough, I'm having a great time.

3 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

They persuaded the teacher to create an adult class for them! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I love this so much! The way I understand it, many studios don't cater for adult learners, so that's really cool to hear. 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ooh, I'm here! Mainly a ballroom boy (since 11 years ago, started fall of 2009) and competing / training with a partner pretty much constantly. I've dabbled in ballet / jazz / tap, but nothing beyond a beginner level (intermediate / advanced at my college in jazz, but that felt like it was overstating my competence).

This is epic! So did you start dancing as an adult? I'm in awe of how much strength, balance, flexibility is needed to dance. My ballet classes so far are really inspiring me to work on those things. How on earth do you get your leg that high???

My partner is Argentine and doesn't know how to tango! There's an online free intro class run by a place here in Montreal this week, so we're going to give that a shot. 

Current Challenge
Previous challenges:

Respawn

Limbering up
Going Forth

18 minutes ago, Keladris said:

I've found some online classes which is awesome since I can just respire on my own haha. Can't recommend it enough, I'm having a great time.

I may or may not have begun a collection of links to easy beginner classes on YouTube... 💃🏻

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 1/7/2021 at 8:23 AM, sylph said:

I don't dance, but I know we have a few.

I haven't seen @dancezwithkittehz for a hot minute, but she springs to mind first. If she pops in, she might be able to point you at more dance-y types :)

Welcome to the rebellion!

I’ve been in a serious winter hermitting for December to now but I EXISTTTTT :D 

• Like 2

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Yay for existing!

There's something I've been wondering about lately, and that is balancing dancing practice with strength training. I'm currently doing 1 ballet youtube video a week, 1 live class on zoom and 1-2 beginner bodyweight circuit training sessions from NF.

I can't figure out how well these things compliment each other. If I want to be a good dancer, is it best to do more dance training? And the days that I'm dance training, I guess that will be improving my strength too? 

I'm the sort of person who always wants to do EVERYTHING and do it well, but think I need to be a bit smart with what I do when.

Current Challenge
Previous challenges:

Respawn

Limbering up
Going Forth

Ooh how fun that you picked up dancing!

Calling @Epsilonte for belly dancing! My own dancing is limited to living room dancing at the moment haha, but I did go through a lindy hop phase a few years back. Fun times!

7 hours ago, Keladris said:

I can't figure out how well these things compliment each other. If I want to be a good dancer, is it best to do more dance training? And the days that I'm dance training, I guess that will be improving my strength too? 

Yes and yes! Up to a certain point. :) If dance is your priority I'd focus most of your attention there because you'll gain exactly the skills and strength and mobility that you need specifically for dancing. You simply get more bang for your buck (your buck being time and recovery capacity) and it's more fun which will keep you motivated. But sometimes it's helpful to supplement with more specific strength and mobility work to make the dancing stronger. But those things you can add in as needed and once you're happy that your current workload is sustainable. But ultimately it's up to you! The more time you spend dancing the quicker you'll improve (barring injuries) BUT there's nothing wrong with taking your time and really enjoying the process. You have a lifetime ahead of you. :) So if you want to throw in more strength training or other things that make you happy, go for it. I don't know where you're at physically or the intensity of the sessions, but to me your current schedule looks like a very well rounded and healthy mix. 

8 hours ago, Keladris said:

I'm the sort of person who always wants to do EVERYTHING and do it well, but think I need to be a bit smart with what I do when.

If possible I'd try to put my dance training before any strength work so that you're always fresh for it. But a lot of figuring out schedules and priorities comes down to listening to your body and see how it reacts.

• Like 2

Oooh Lindy Hop sounds awesome!

Thanks so much for the advice. For now, I think this is a good starting schedule. The strength training gives me something a bit more measurable to track progress. 

Was looking up other dance styles the other day and omg I would love to vogue... Hopefully one day we'll all be vaccinated and allowed to go to classes in person again.

Current Challenge
Previous challenges:

Respawn

Limbering up
Going Forth

On 1/18/2021 at 10:39 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Calling @Epsilonte for belly dancing!

Thank you for thinking of me! ❤️ :D

On 1/25/2021 at 6:20 AM, Keladris said:

Was looking up other dance styles the other day and omg I would love to vogue... Hopefully one day we'll all be vaccinated and allowed to go to classes in person again.

Vogue is super fun!!

Perks of the situation right now: a lot of dance teachers are doing online classes. You could totally look up your favourite dancers on instagram and see if they offer anything online. And thus learn from people all over the world! :D I find that dance classes work great over zoom, it's really worth a try and even if you're not in the same room as the teacher, they can still see you, help you, correct you... 

Hi there! :D 

I'm Epsilonte and I am a dancer. (This is Dancer's Anonymous, right? :) )  

I got bit by the dancing bug when I was small and cute - started ballet when I was 6 years old (my mom wouldn't allow it any earlier though I begged her since I was about four xD) and danced (modern, a bit hip hop, classical ballet and on pointe) until I was 13 and got bored. Then I lived through 11 dark and danceless years until I discovered poledancing at 24 and realized how much I had missed dancing. Haven't stopped since (I'm 32 now). Additionally to pole I started dancing on everything one can possibly dance on (chairs, silks, hoops, chains...), belly dancing (and here we also did a bit of voguing once for a choreo, it was awesome :D ) and have done all kinds of dancing workshops whenever possible. My two main things are pole and belly dancing though. :) 

Dancing is the best thing in the world. :D 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

2 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

My two main things are pole and belly dancing though. :) 

...any good belly dancing links to share...?

I took belly dance classes in high school and keep meaning to get back into it. :) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

...any good belly dancing links to share...?

I took belly dance classes in high school and keep meaning to get back into it. :) 

Do you already know about Datura Online? I did a few of their classes last year, liked them a lot. And they have a bit of almost every style. :D 

ETA: I also had Michelle Sorensen's Patreon for a while and really enjoyed her classes (she is just the perfect mix of tribal style bellydance and poledance and such things. :D Michellesbelly on Instagram). I stopped subscribing for time reasons... 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

2 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Do you already know about Datura Online? I did a few of their classes last year, liked them a lot. And they have a bit of almost every style. :D 

ETA: I also had Michelle Sorensen's Patreon for a while and really enjoyed her classes (she is just the perfect mix of tribal style bellydance and poledance and such things. :D Michellesbelly on Instagram). I stopped subscribing for time reasons... 

I already have so many things I could potentially do but man this is tickling my fancy.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

No, but now I know what I'm exploring this weekend! 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Really nice to have you Epsilonte! 

I also took ballet for a few years as a kid and was amazed coming back to it how my body just had happy memories built into it. Like as soon as I put my shoes on I just felt good!

I'm doing ballet on zoom right now, the studio is also about to offer an introduction to jazz which I've never done before. Figure it's a good way into more modern styles too.

Current Challenge
Previous challenges:

Respawn

Limbering up
Going Forth