I dont always get knocked down but when I do I get back up again - The Most  Interesting Man In The World - quickmeme

I recently got knocked down.  Tested positive for COVID, gave it to my husband and my son, and was wrongfully terminated from my job after the diagnosis.  I'm exhausted from the stress and anxiety of this experience.  I'm in the midst of an appeal of my termination and I'm looking for a new job.  Plus, I'm still physically/mentally recovering from COVID, and taking care of my son and husband as they recover.  

So I got knocked down.  And I've spent the last month being super stressed,  and depressed, and feeling sorry for myself.   Time to get back up.  Fight or Flight time.  Time to prime myself for action.  In a good way.  Because life is moving on and I need to jump back into it.

Fight
Do something that moves me forward every day.  Work on my job hunt,   Stay positive about my appeal process.  Distract myself with one of my favorite things.  Maybe try something new.  Reach out to friends from school/life, reach out to family.   Just one thing, everyday.

Keep a journal record of activity.

1pt daily for follow thru

Bonus:  Screen curfew 9pm/1pt
Way too much screen time.  It's messing with my sleep.

Flight
Exercise!  Walk daily.  No excuses.  I live by so many cool parks and since I lost my job... I have so much more time on my hands. 

Keep a journal record of activity.

1pt daily for follow thru
Bonus:  Stairs or park exercises or darebee/1pt
Climb some stairs or do a couple exercises at an outdoor fitness equipment station or do a darebee dare.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Wow, you really have taken some stress hits. The job on top of everything else is really hard. Here to offer support

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

What a shit move by your job. Best of luck.

Take it gently during recovery. Your body just had a massive shock to the system that it's still repairing. Be extra careful about stressing the heart and lungs for a few months, and try to get some extra rest.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 1
starting stats:

153lbs
37.5% body fat

Week one went okay, I moved around alot and I kept myself distracted.  Decided to add a food log to my journal (keeping track of Food/Fight/Flight).  14 points for the week.  The goal is 21.  Gotta step it up :)

Notable Things from Week One
Food - turkey chili from Panera (my favorite!!)

Fight - had a mammogram, scheduled a haircut, caught up with a friend from work at the park

Flight - revisited Darebee for some extra exercises at home

Appeal process continues.  It's an uphill battle.  I feel pretty small in it.  But my husband is a lawyer and he is very smart.  Luckily we are in a place financially that we're not going to starve or become homeless without my paycheck which also means we can be patient and see this through.  

Goals for next week:  screen curfew!!  9pm.  nightly.  maybe try some headspace (my sleep still sucks).  doing a dry january but should probably drop the cokes too (although sometimes having a coke at bedtime does help me sleep, I know - I'm weird.  It's an ADHD thing.).

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

On 1/9/2021 at 4:24 PM, mom2sjm said:

Appeal process continues.  It's an uphill battle.  I feel pretty small in it.  But my husband is a lawyer and he is very smart.  Luckily we are in a place financially that we're not going to starve or become homeless without my paycheck which also means we can be patient and see this through.  

Legal processes are so slow.... I'm glad you guys are in a good place where it's not a hardship for you to see this through. Good luck!

On 1/9/2021 at 4:24 PM, mom2sjm said:

Goals for next week:  screen curfew!!  9pm.  nightly.  maybe try some headspace (my sleep still sucks).  doing a dry january but should probably drop the cokes too (although sometimes having a coke at bedtime does help me sleep, I know - I'm weird.  It's an ADHD thing.).

Hey if it works for you, rock on. What do you plan to do pre-bedtime to replace the screen time? 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 1/11/2021 at 6:08 AM, Manarelle said:

Hey if it works for you, rock on. What do you plan to do pre-bedtime to replace the screen time? 

I have an audio book that I'm listening to, each disc is about an hour so if I start it  just after 9pm it takes me right up to a good bed time.  I've been knitting while listening too.  

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

15 hours ago, mom2sjm said:

job-interview-meme-17

I have an interview!!  Tomorrow at 11am.  I'm nervous and excited and very glad that I got a hair cut today :)

Eeeee! Might be too late for you to se but rah rah rah, you've got this! Be you, and that's more than enough to knock their socks off!

• Like 1

Week 2
updated stats:

152.5lbs
36% body fat

Week Two:  25 points for the week.  

Notable Things from Week Two
Food - ordered dinners from Fresh-n-Lean.  They are scheduled to arrive next saturday but that was a good plan I started this week for healthier eating.  I tried a Primal Kitchen frozen meal this week, it was good.  

Fight - got a haircut and got an interview for an aide position at an elementary school!! 
Finished a lego set and a puzzle.  Played a new card game with my son (Durian).

Flight - went to four different parks this week for my walks.  Started the 30 day challenge (Darebee Easy Core).

The best thing happened this week...  I was invited to an interview for a elementary aide position!!  I think it went well.  Randomly I had a haircut scheduled on the day before and my husband put a better camera on my computer so I felt relaxed during the interview because I wasn't distracted by that stuff.  It lasted a little over the scheduled time and that's usually a good sign.  I will know this week how it went.    No matter  how it goes,  I really needed that boost.  I put in my cover letter that I was fired after my positive covid test and I was appealing the decision.  They called me anyway so the fear that I had about being too honest for my own good has subsided.  

Goals for next week:  add some spinach or kale to my protein drink.  my appetite hasn't totally come back after the corona virus but I'm trying to get in some more food.  

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

On 1/16/2021 at 6:17 PM, mom2sjm said:

The best thing happened this week...  I was invited to an interview for a elementary aide position!!  I think it went well.  Randomly I had a haircut scheduled on the day before and my husband put a better camera on my computer so I felt relaxed during the interview because I wasn't distracted by that stuff.  It lasted a little over the scheduled time and that's usually a good sign.  I will know this week how it went.    No matter  how it goes,  I really needed that boost.  I put in my cover letter that I was fired after my positive covid test and I was appealing the decision.  They called me anyway so the fear that I had about being too honest for my own good has subsided.  

Eee! Good luck! If you were to have your old job offered to you again, would you take it, or nah, since you know they're not very nice people? 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 7:23 AM, Manarelle said:

Eee! Good luck! If you were to have your old job offered to you again, would you take it, or nah, since you know they're not very nice people? 

I wouldn't go back.   prinicipal/vice-principal have lost my trust and respect.  I do miss all my teacher friends though.  If P/VP were fired... I'd go back :)  That's highly unlikely.  Appealing termination to clear my name and get that horrid letter out of my file.  would love a big cash payout for my pain and sufferings but again, highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Week 3
updated stats:

152.5lbs
38% body fat

Week Three:  21 points for the week.  

Notable Things from Week Three
Food - lots of stress snacking.  and sodas.  boo!!  but my fresh and lean meals arrived yesterday and I had one last night.  It was yummy!     

Fight - had two more interviews and invited to a third! did some knitting, worked on a new puzzle, and took my son shopping for something non-sweats to wear for his senior pic photo session.  
Flight - put some hills into my walks to gently test out my lungs, seeing if there is any post-covid challenges.  so far, okay but I am really taking things easy.

And now, the best part of the week...

image.jpeg.0552610dc82339fea90b39dd62688f59.jpeg.  

I had a second interview yesterday and they offered me the job last night.   I start next friday!!  It's a temporary learning support position for reading which is perfect for me since I'm still working through my  appeal process.   It's full time so that might include benefits and I think it goes through April so that's pretty good.   Hopefully by then my appeal will be over and I can think about what I want to do next year.

Goals for next week:  learn how to use Zoom and See Saw :)  

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

1 hour ago, mom2sjm said:

I had a second interview yesterday and they offered me the job last night.   I start next friday!!  It's a temporary learning support position for reading which is perfect for me since I'm still working through my  appeal process.   It's full time so that might include benefits and I think it goes through April so that's pretty good.   Hopefully by then my appeal will be over and I can think about what I want to do next year.

tenor.gif

CONGRATS!!!!! 

• Haha 1

Week 4
150.5lbs
36% body fat

Week four down, one week to go.  Haven't really moved the dial on my weight loss journey but I'm feeling pretty good about my plan going forward.  Getting that job is going to help me get back into a routine which is always helpful for my mood and other things going on in life.    18 points for the week.

Notable Things from Week four
Food - Fresh and Lean dinners are not disappointing me!

Fight - completed all my new hire paperwork and fingerprints for my new job.  started my job on Friday!

Flight - 45 minutes of recess duty has been added to my movement routine :)

Not great news for the week:  Appeal process has concluded.  They upheld the principal's decision to fire me.  I'm not totally surprised.  I live in an at-will state and I worked for a private corporation.  but still I'm very disappointed.  they did agree to remove the termination letter and replace it with a furlough letter and they will continue my insurance through the end of my original contract so it is a win but it feels like a loss. 

Goals for next week:  avoid the coke machine in my new staff room!!!!!

• Sad 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

On 1/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, mom2sjm said:

Week 4
150.5lbs
36% body fat

Week four down, one week to go.  Haven't really moved the dial on my weight loss journey but I'm feeling pretty good about my plan going forward.  Getting that job is going to help me get back into a routine which is always helpful for my mood and other things going on in life.    18 points for the week.

Notable Things from Week four
Food - Fresh and Lean dinners are not disappointing me!

Fight - completed all my new hire paperwork and fingerprints for my new job.  started my job on Friday!

Flight - 45 minutes of recess duty has been added to my movement routine :)

Not great news for the week:  Appeal process has concluded.  They upheld the principal's decision to fire me.  I'm not totally surprised.  I live in an at-will state and I worked for a private corporation.  but still I'm very disappointed.  they did agree to remove the termination letter and replace it with a furlough letter and they will continue my insurance through the end of my original contract so it is a win but it feels like a loss. 

Goals for next week:  avoid the coke machine in my new staff room!!!!!

Sorry about the job news. Glad the new job is going well and you were able to start

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 5
149.5lbs
36% body fat

23  points for the week.

Notable Things from Week Five
Food - Must try harder to resist coke machine in the staff room...

Fight - Feel like I'm getting the hang of my new routine.  Made a big effort this week to honor screen curfew.

Flight - Stopped at park after work to get my walk in before going home.   Think that'll be my new routine.

Well.  I do feel like I got back up.  I steadily added back in routines that help me focus on being healthy and positive.  I added more movement into my day.   I didn't lose my health insurance.  

And while it wasn't a specific goal, I did lose a pound of water weight during the challenge and with my food log I have set myself up for the next challenge where I am going to focus on shifting my body fat % in terms of knowing what I've been eating/movement/water/sleep.   One cool thing that happened during this challenge is that  my third son is FINALLY a licensed driver.   Now all three drive.  Yay!   I thought it would NEVER happen.  He wasn't interested in driving as a teenager and now that he works remotely for FB I thought that was that.  But nope!  He surprised me. 

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

On 2/6/2021 at 3:35 PM, mom2sjm said:

Week 5
149.5lbs
36% body fat

23  points for the week.

Notable Things from Week Five
Food - Must try harder to resist coke machine in the staff room...

Fight - Feel like I'm getting the hang of my new routine.  Made a big effort this week to honor screen curfew.

Flight - Stopped at park after work to get my walk in before going home.   Think that'll be my new routine.

Well.  I do feel like I got back up.  I steadily added back in routines that help me focus on being healthy and positive.  I added more movement into my day.   I didn't lose my health insurance.  

And while it wasn't a specific goal, I did lose a pound of water weight during the challenge and with my food log I have set myself up for the next challenge where I am going to focus on shifting my body fat % in terms of knowing what I've been eating/movement/water/sleep.   One cool thing that happened during this challenge is that  my third son is FINALLY a licensed driver.   Now all three drive.  Yay!   I thought it would NEVER happen.  He wasn't interested in driving as a teenager and now that he works remotely for FB I thought that was that.  But nope!  He surprised me. 

Nice! Sounds like you really rose to this challenge and are doing better now. Congrats on the kiddo getting his license, and on you for making your life healthier!