28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

In My opinion Rangers should be to Druids what Paladin's are to Clerics.

As a strongly paladinesque person with druish flavors, I will be adopting that mindset from now on. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

As a strongly paladinesque person with druish flavors, I will be adopting that mindset from now on. 

Rangers gonna Ranger!

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

39 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rangers gonna Ranger!

You know, I’m about 30% Ranger, 40% Adventurer, 10% Scout, 10% Monk, and 10% Assassin based off of the guilds. Philosophy and the focus of my application is ultimately what makes me an Adventurer. I should probably add some tags but I might wait until next challenge  to do so. 

• Like 1

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 1/7/2021 at 11:55 AM, Sylvaa said:

We finally got our preliminary house plans from the drafter. The great thing is that they are a bit smaller than the initial specs we sent, so they should continue to be in our price range AND we got to add in some additional "fun things" we wanted (hello coffee station!).

This is great!  Getting a house built like you want is a small miracle. 

On the "What D&D Character am I?" quiz, I got "Neutral Good Human Monk (6th level)".   The detailed breakout shows both paladin and wizard are right behind monk, which are all reasonable.   And I think the "6th level" is subtly saying I am old. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

According to that quiz, I am a Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard....though I know I am an elf, no matter what that quiz says =P 

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 10 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

13 hours ago, Aquarii said:

According to that quiz, I am a Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard....though I know I am an elf, no matter what that quiz says =P 

That quiz seems designed to be very human friendly. It's no fun if you don't want to be a human. I am also at the very least a half-elf. 

This weekend was rough. I did not meet my goals across the board, however I know my goals were also pretty aggressive. I still hit the water and the no alcohol piece, which were the two things I made a priority.

Spoilering for death talk:

Spoiler

I found out Sunday morning that my friend and old roommate passed away. 

Before she and I became friends, she'd had a pretty serious drug problem. When I met her, she'd stopped doing drugs, but still struggled with alcoholism. She moved in with me when her roommate moved out as she couldn't afford the rent solo. She had a job and was starting to really improve. 

Our friend group ended up scattering. We were living in a college town at the time and a number of the people we hung out with ended up going back to their hometowns. She decided to get a fresh start somewhere new to hopefully curb her addictions, but wasn't ever really successful. We ended up drifting apart with only sporadic interactions (I hadn't been on a great path myself at that point, so I cut off a lot of communication with people from that time period - it wasn't really healthy for me). As of now, they aren't listing the cause of death as suspicious, only natural causes, but she'd definitely lived a hard life. 

It's sad, she really was a good person for all her struggles. I'm not really sure how I feel and I'm not really sure of how I'm supposed to feel. 

We are also coming up on the anniversary of my grandparent's death. I don't have a good relationship with that side of the family and it's always hard for me as they aren't friendly or kind regarding my brother or I being moved by this. 

In good news, my grandson turns two this week. He woke us up at like 7:30 on Saturday, which was not a fun morning, but it was in the cutest way possible, so we let it slide. He absolutely has being cute mastered. I shared pictures on FB, but I still am not sharing pictures here (I don't have picture sharing account - I will say that was one nice thing about Tapatalk). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
Spoiler

The only wrong way to grieve is not to do it. There is no "Supposed" with feelings where grief is concerned. FWIW, not knowing how you feel, given the situation, makes perfect sense. 
I'm sorry remembering your Grandparents' death causes new pain each year due to family dynamics, that's not fair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

That quiz seems designed to be very human friendly. It's no fun if you don't want to be a human. I am also at the very least a half-elf. 

As a half-dwarf, I concur. But it was still pretty fun. 

Spoilering for death talk:

Reveal hidden contents

I found out Sunday morning that my friend and old roommate passed away. 

Before she and I became friends, she'd had a pretty serious drug problem. When I met her, she'd stopped doing drugs, but still struggled with alcoholism. She moved in with me when her roommate moved out as she couldn't afford the rent solo. She had a job and was starting to really improve. 

Our friend group ended up scattering. We were living in a college town at the time and a number of the people we hung out with ended up going back to their hometowns. She decided to get a fresh start somewhere new to hopefully curb her addictions, but wasn't ever really successful. We ended up drifting apart with only sporadic interactions (I hadn't been on a great path myself at that point, so I cut off a lot of communication with people from that time period - it wasn't really healthy for me). As of now, they aren't listing the cause of death as suspicious, only natural causes, but she'd definitely lived a hard life. 

It's sad, she really was a good person for all her struggles. I'm not really sure how I feel and I'm not really sure of how I'm supposed to feel. 

We are also coming up on the anniversary of my grandparent's death. I don't have a good relationship with that side of the family and it's always hard for me as they aren't friendly or kind regarding my brother or I being moved by this. 

31 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The only wrong way to grieve is not to do it. There is no "Supposed" with feelings where grief is concerned. FWIW, not knowing how you feel, given the situation, makes perfect sense. 
I'm sorry remembering your Grandparents' death causes new pain each year due to family dynamics, that's not fair.

Distance hugs. I forgot how to do the spoiler tag. 

In good news, my grandson turns two this week. He woke us up at like 7:30 on Saturday, which was not a fun morning, but it was in the cutest way possible, so we let it slide. He absolutely has being cute mastered. I shared pictures on FB, but I still am not sharing pictures here (I don't have picture sharing account - I will say that was one nice thing about Tapatalk). 

For the record, you’re right. He’s adorable. A master cuteness practitioner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

On 1/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, Sylvaa said:

I also unfriended a person on FB due to their conspiracy theories regarding COVID, particularly as our hospitals are at max capacity AND the most recent COVID strain has been confirmed in our area. 

And yet you keep coming to Florida... 😆

Did the quiz, by the way. True Neutral Human Monk, unsurprisingly. The only thing weird is I'm not a Dwarf (but it was close).

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Machete said:

And yet you keep coming to Florida... 😆

To be fair, I only went down for a week in the summer and we didn't GO anywhere!

Our house plans are with our builder for a final costing before we move forward with the contract. It's very exciting, but also kind of nerve wracking. The house ended up a bit larger than originally anticipated because of the way it is laid out (we're using the basement as an additional floor of living space - it's going to be a walk out, so halfway uncovered) so we are waiting to hear what he says to make sure it's in our price range. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Spoiler

I’m sorry for your loss.  Its okay not to know how to feel about it.  She sounds like she was a good friend and roommate at that time and it’s sad to see someone struggle with living and its sad to see that life end.  Its messy, and thats okay 💙💙

your house sounds amazing and a little overwhelming! I am having trouble imagining it, but I hope it all happens for you! 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

your house sounds amazing and a little overwhelming! I am having trouble imagining it, but I hope it all happens for you! 

I don't know if I shared it before, but we started from this plan. Our drafter made some pretty neat changes that make a lot more sense than the plan did though - which is one of the reasons we went with a drafter we could meet with in the first place. She's actually drafted all of the houses being built in our neighborhood (so far) so it was nice to have some consistency and make sure on the front end ours would like stand out weirdly. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I don't know if I shared it before, but we started from this plan. Our drafter made some pretty neat changes that make a lot more sense than the plan did though - which is one of the reasons we went with a drafter we could meet with in the first place. She's actually drafted all of the houses being built in our neighborhood (so far) so it was nice to have some consistency and make sure on the front end ours would like stand out weirdly. 

I am not jealous at all (lies) and absolutely excited for you! (truth!)

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

To be fair, I only went down for a week in the summer and we didn't GO anywhere!

Our house plans are with our builder for a final costing before we move forward with the contract. It's very exciting, but also kind of nerve wracking. The house ended up a bit larger than originally anticipated because of the way it is laid out (we're using the basement as an additional floor of living space - it's going to be a walk out, so halfway uncovered) so we are waiting to hear what he says to make sure it's in our price range. 

Wait, houses have basements here? I thought we're all just floating in swampland...

10 hours ago, Machete said:

Wait, houses have basements here? I thought we're all just floating in swampland...

As far as I am aware, Florida basements do not exist (if anyone is curious, it has to do with the soil - very sandy). But in PA, most people have basements. It's nice for the occasional tornados we get. 

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I am not jealous at all (lies) and absolutely excited for you! (truth!)

You might be even more excited later on, because I'm working on convincing my husband we should see if you are interested in an art commission. It won't be for like another year, but yeah. (Actually, it's not going to really be that hard - we're already planning on working with some local artists and you're "local").

I've been a little hesitant to share a lot of details around our house plans, not just on here, but in general. With so many people impacted by COVID and a lot of people struggling to pay bills, it's a really crappy time to be like, "hey, we are building this big house!" It seems very Marie Antoinette. (Note: I didn't take your jealous comment in a negative way, it just seemed like a really nice segue). There are a lot of steps in building a house that I was not aware of, so most of my updates will be around the process, not so much my specific house. 

We are celebrating the baby's 2nd birthday tonight. His birthday is actually tomorrow, but my daughter and I are driving to Ohio for the weekend for him to see his dad. This will be the first time they have been together in person in over a year. The trip makes me a little nervous since we are on "their turf" so to speak. But I'm hopeful it'll go off without any issues.

• Like 7

There is something super freeing about not really caring how often I update my own thread. 

We ended up not going to Ohio as originally planned. Baby-dad ended up giving my daughter enough of an issue that she decided to cancel the trip all together. The short version is that the baby has been struggling with some separation anxiety and baby-dad wanted to have the baby without my daughter there. His insistence made my daughter concerned that he might try something shady while he had the baby, so she decided to not give him the option. Instead, we had a really relaxing weekend with not a lot going on. 

I've been doing dry January. It's not really been a struggle. I didn't think it would be a struggle, but I also didn't think it would be as easy as it has been. I've had a rough day or two of work, where I would have appreciated a glass of wine, but it's not been to a point that I feel any need of it. I've also reverted back to a fairly healthy diet overall. I've been limiting my processed foods both in the amount and the frequency. I'm not sure what part of this paragraph has been the most helpful, but I got on the scale today and realized that I've lost weight. Close to 5 pounds over the past three weeks (this isn't super impressive, it's really just going back to pre-holiday weight). 

I've been more focused around work recently, which has been nice. I was struggling a bit around the holidays - I'm pretty sure it was partially burnout and partially just overall frustration with trying to work from home. I'm still struggling with people (although I've been having a lot more evenings without people around which is really nice - not that the family isn't here, just that they aren't in the room with me). 

I'm also struggling with momentum. I have the exact opposite of an addictive personality. I don't crave anything. It's very nice when trying to stop smoking or limit alcohol or sugar, but it's not so great when there is no serotonin boost from exercise. Right now, my exercise space is my garage, which is ridiculously cold. It's a short-term issue, but one that is not helping me with motivation to go out and do anything. 

• Like 7
On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, Sylvaa said:

I've been a little hesitant to share a lot of details around our house plans, not just on here, but in general. With so many people impacted by COVID and a lot of people struggling to pay bills, it's a really crappy time to be like, "hey, we are building this big house!" It seems very Marie Antoinette. (Note: I didn't take your jealous comment in a negative way, it just seemed like a really nice segue). There are a lot of steps in building a house that I was not aware of, so most of my updates will be around the process, not so much my specific house. 

I hear you. I feel similarly, not necessarily so

much with money but the fact that quarantine was such a lifesaver for me, especially since I could work remotely. 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, Sylvaa said:

We are celebrating the baby's 2nd birthday tonight.

I can’t even believe he’s already 2! 

19 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm also struggling with momentum. I have the exact opposite of an addictive personality. I don't crave anything. It's very nice when trying to stop smoking or limit alcohol or sugar, but it's not so great when there is no serotonin boost from exercise. Right now, my exercise space is my garage, which is ridiculously cold. It's a short-term issue, but one that is not helping me with motivation to go out and do anything.

That doesn’t seem like any fun either. May the Force be with you. 

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Unrelated to anything else, I found out this week that someone used my social security number to file for state unemployment benefits. This is particularly alarming as it was not me. Luckily, the process to report this was super easy, my employer hasn't paid out any claims, and I don't have any fraudulent activity on my credit report. 

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I can’t even believe he’s already 2! 

It definitely flies by! I'm sure you are feeling that way about your own family. :) 

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I hear you. I feel similarly, not necessarily so much with money but the fact that quarantine was such a lifesaver for me, especially since I could work remotely. 

I hear you. The different ways we all feel and react to the situation of the past year is really interesting. 

• Like 4

That's scary about the social security number. If you want, you can put a freeze on your credit by creating an account on the three credit reporting agencies (Free) and putting a freeze on your credit. You just have to remember to unfreeze them when you have anything to do with creating new accounts that require a credit check, the refreezing them after.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's scary about the social security number. If you want, you can put a freeze on your credit by creating an account on the three credit reporting agencies (Free) and putting a freeze on your credit. You just have to remember to unfreeze them when you have anything to do with creating new accounts that require a credit check, the refreezing them after.

I did know this! I actually chose to do a one year fraud alert through the three agencies. With the alert, businesses have to verify my identity before issuing credit. Since we are hoping to be getting a mortgage shortly (and then potentially having to buy new furniture), I preferred to go a route that did not include making me unfreeze / refreeze my credit. :) 

In my case however, the claim was filed in November (it took two months for me to find out due to my change in address. The initial claim was filed to my old address, but it was after the time frame where it would have been forwarded to my new address). I've had no fraudulent activity on my credit report in the two months I was unaware and according to my HR department, they haven't paid out (so apparently something was caught at the initial point of filing). I definitely looked into it though. 

There is also an extended fraud alert that lasts for 7 years that could be done. It's a little more involved than what I did, but also a little easier than the credit freeze. 

• Like 6