Back in the saddle

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Clearly you need to get another cat, for the sake of clarity.

The barely a year old Ben Skywalker preparing to pounce on a grumpy old kitty.

there’s also a 12 or so year old Australian Shepard named Atlas, a Florida Kingsnake named Aragorn, freshwater planted tank, a native reptile and amphibian terrarium.... it’s a zoo here. Lol

5C6A2284-9C68-4AD1-8801-ECAF7CDF4F8D.jpeg

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

I did change my username.  I am in the foil hat club and am virtually un-findable on the internet.  I have no social media besides Linkdin.  So having a username thats my actual last name made me paranoid.  I am a bit of a warrior hobbit so it fits.

Squats 5*80

5*95

5*115

5*120

5*140 belted

12*160

5*140 unbelted

12*120

DL

10*115

10*115

10*115

10*115

10*115

Curl 

8*50

8*50

8*50

8*50

Dips

5 assisted.  Man am I out of shape

• Like 1

So, essentially a week in and I hit my 4/4 on lifting as well as weighing.  I have been logging fairly well.  Feeling like I am getting into a groove.  I remember when all of the stuff was second nature and didnt feel like it required all that much oomph.  I want to get back to that.

This was a big jump on weights and I am feeling it with DOMS.  But not so bad it is discouraging movement or breaking the groove.

I may need to add a budgeting goal.  Not budgeting per se but impulse buying of needless things as a coping skill

Started to change a power steering pump on my truck this morning.  After closer inspection it is either the hose or the rack and pinion.  Long story short I took it to the shop and walked home a little over a mile.  Not sure if I should count that as a workout lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

So, essentially a week in and I hit my 4/4 on lifting as well as weighing.  I have been logging fairly well.  Feeling like I am getting into a groove.  I remember when all of the stuff was second nature and didnt feel like it required all that much oomph.  I want to get back to that.

This was a big jump on weights and I am feeling it with DOMS.  But not so bad it is discouraging movement or breaking the groove.

Nice, nice.  I'm sure you're on your way to reclaiming the oopmh.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Some combination of working on my truck in the cold, moving a terrarium, lifting, and/or driving without power steering has put a serious knot in my neck. I’ve screwed it up worse but I can’t recall when. I laid on my office floor for a half hour and it is not clean. So may have to take a day or two off. At least until I can look to the side and breathe deeply without pain

• Like 1

Muscle is still sore and stiff but improved. Lots of leaning on a tennis ball and applying a hot bag of rice.  A little high strung last night and my tongue was badly scalloped. So I took Tylenol a muscle relaxer and an Ativan before bed. Didn’t seem to help the muscle though 

2 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Muscle is still sore and stiff but improved. Lots of leaning on a tennis ball and applying a hot bag of rice. 

Are you applying some kind of liniment as well? I've found them to make a big difference in a low-key sort of way.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Are you applying some kind of liniment as well? I've found them to make a big difference in a low-key sort of way.

Does rub some dirt in it count?🤣

I don’t usually use lineament or lotions of any kind. I wear long sleeves and a hat to avoid sunscreen even. Just can’t tolerate greasy feeling stuff

On 1/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, Bullroarer Took said:

Some combination of working on my truck in the cold, moving a terrarium, lifting, and/or driving without power steering has put a serious knot in my neck. I’ve screwed it up worse but I can’t recall when. I laid on my office floor for a half hour and it is not clean. So may have to take a day or two off. At least until I can look to the side and breathe deeply without pain

Oh, sorry about the neck. Maybe no ultra heavy overhead presses for a couple of days, then. Get better soon!

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

OK, not doing well. mix of injuries and some psych issues.  post more later but need to at least get work outs down.  Only core lift this week.  Pain better but still stiff

DL

5*85

5*105

3*125

3*145

3*170

6*190

Bench

5*55

5*70

3*80

3*95

3*105

6*120

squat

5*95

5*95

3*115

3*130

3*150

9*170

• Like 1

The Long and short of it is once I was having trouble with lifts I lost momentum.  I still got in 2 lifts and a long walk plus some stretching.  I didn't eat poorly per se but hadn't logged for almost a week until today.

I did get on the scale a couple times but didnt log it.  I have been staying up late (well for me) and eating when not hungry and drinking. 

So anyway I have to get back in the saddle I suppose.  At this point I am probably going to have to redo these weights on 5/3/1 because not doing BBB for a week or 2 makes a difference.  And probably have to watch how often I am drinking from a calorie perspective.   Just having 2 cokes for mixers is enough to throw my diet off even without calculating the alcohol

• Like 1

catch up

press 

5*45

5*45

3*55

5*60

5*70

7*80

BP 10*75*5

80 pulldowns

DL

5*85

5*105

3*125

5*135

7*180

squat 10*105*5

Bench 

5*55

5*70

5*80

5*85

5*100

13*115

5*100

18*85

10*75*5

barbell row 50#

• Like 1

So, I got into a little bit of a psychological tailspin there at the conflux of childcare issues, money, relationship and work stress.  And dealing with it poorly. You know small stuff. lol.  But as of Sunday I am just restarting the 5/3/1 cycle and trting not to worry about it the past few.  So as of Sunday I have had 3 days ina row of working out, logging and weighing.  

Starting to plan a 3 day river trip for April with some old buddies so thats giving me something to work on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

So, I got into a little bit of a psychological tailspin there at the conflux of childcare issues, money, relationship and work stress.  And dealing with it poorly. You know small stuff. lol.  But as of Sunday I am just restarting the 5/3/1 cycle and trting not to worry about it the past few.  So as of Sunday I have had 3 days ina row of working out, logging and weighing.

Nice. Every week is a new chance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

So, I got into a little bit of a psychological tailspin there at the conflux of childcare issues, money, relationship and work stress.  And dealing with it poorly. You know small stuff. lol.  

Now that is just unfair. Everyone told me all the stress was supposed to vanish completely when 2020 ended!

On a more serious note, it sounds like you have your coping methods in place, in the form of lifting and other habits, and something to look forward to, which is as important. In other words, you've got this.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

well, I came home from work today stressed (I have a meeting with brass monday) but ready to work out.  The bus was here and I was in a hurry and I just rushed out.  

I didnt put my truck in park. I tried to hold it, then put it in park than had to jump in to hit the brakes.  Its a steep hill and long story short, stopping two tons of truck isnt easy and my back is killing me.  so hopefully I will feel up to heavy squats and volume deadlift in the morning

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Hated to do a short set but my lower back is hurting and volume deadlifts just seemed unwise

You already know you made the right decision, so rather than repeating that I instead remind you of something else you know: The deadlifts will wait for you to return when your lower back has healed. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Yesterday was a stressful day.  Had a meeting with Deputy Atty Gen and found out an upcoming civil commitment rests wholly on my testimony.  Ugh, I dont wanna do grown i=up things this week.  Nothing quite like zoom court to spike my social anxiety.

So I ate my feelings yesterday, had 2 drinks after I put the kids to bed and skipped my lift.

But my back is feeling looser.  Still didnt do drop sets on deadlift.

10 days or so past second Pfizer vaccine so thats all good

Art some point I need to get active agian in the threads of others.  I have been struggling.  This is securing my own O2 mask before assisting others phase

2 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Art some point I need to get active agian in the threads of others.  I have been struggling.  This is securing my own O2 mask before assisting others phase

I suspect everyone here would tell you some version of the advice to put on your own mask before venturing out to help others, if you asked. It's what you're supposed to be doing. The threads of others will be there when you have your own mask secured and working properly.

This is especially important after a long and stressful day.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines