Reading Challenges 2021

On 1/8/2021 at 7:47 AM, Artemis Prime said:

My library is doing curbside pickup right now, so you get on the website and request a book and they call you when it's ready to be picked up. The problem with this is, you can't always see what you're getting yourself into. Requested Priory of the Orange Tree on someone else's recommendation, then they handed that sucker out the window to me and my eyes about bugged out. This one is going to take me a while...

Ahahaha, I grabbed this a few weeks ago from my library and haven't been able to get into the right mood to attempt reading further than the first chapter.

I did just finish the first in the Bridgerton novels today and am going to move on to the second now.... So much for my original plan of reading one fiction, one non-fiction and so forth.

• Like 3

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

On 1/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, Artemis Prime said:

My library is doing curbside pickup right now, so you get on the website and request a book and they call you when it's ready to be picked up. The problem with this is, you can't always see what you're getting yourself into. Requested Priory of the Orange Tree on someone else's recommendation, then they handed that sucker out the window to me and my eyes about bugged out. This one is going to take me a while...

I saw this in a friend's TBR stack and was floored by sheer size. 😳

Hi everyone! 

I'm an  avid reader and lover of books. I used to read a ton until college, and at that point I was reading so. much. for school that I had no desire to read when not on breaks. It took me 3 years to hit 26 books a year, but hit 30 the last two years. I'm aiming high at 50 titles, including DNF books, books of poetry, and graphic novels. Plus I'm tracking a book a week of picture books that I read with Baby Bird. I've also set myself up with a challenge of books in different categories this year. I read primarily science fiction, but this year I'm trying to branch out.

A book you have at home (at least 2, maybe more)

A re-read

Genre- Humor

Genre- based on true story

Genre- biography or autobiography

Format- Graphic Novel: 
Format- A novel in verse

Format- A book from Project Gutenberg (https://www.gutenberg.org/)

Author- A book that was originally written in a different language

Author- A book that was published anonymously

Pub Date-the year you were born
Pub Date- classic sci fi
Pub Date- 2021

Yay, more reading friends!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Current Challenge

Gnome |  Druid/Ranger | Level

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | Back squat Tiny Human's weight
Goodreads

I haven't seen anyone posting this so far... so here is the Book Riot 2021 Read Harder Challenge

Book Riot Challenge 2021: 

1. Read a book you’ve been intimidated to read
  2. Read a nonfiction book about anti-racism Sister Outsider, by Audre Lorde
  3. Read a non-European novel in translation
  4. Read an LGBTQ+ history book
  5. Read a genre novel by an Indigenous, First Nations, or Native American author A Night of Southern Comfort, by Robin Covington
  6. Read a fanfic Redshirts, by John Scalzi
  7. Read a fat-positive romance Spoiler Alert, by Olivia Dade 
  8. Read a romance by a trans or nonbinary author
  9. Read a middle grade mystery The Case of the Missing Marquess, by Nancy Springer
  10. Read an SFF anthology edited by a person of color FTL, y'all!, edited by C. Spike Trothan and Amanda Lafrenais
  11. Read a food memoir by an author of color
  12. Read a work of investigative nonfiction by an author of color
  13. Read a book with a cover you don’t like Kidnapped, by Suzanne Ferrell
  14. Read a realistic YA book not set in the U.S., UK, or Canada
  15. Read a memoir by a Latinx author
  16. Read an own voices book about disability
  17. Read an own voices YA book with a Black main character that isn’t about Black pain
  18. Read a book by/about a non-Western world leader
  19. Read a historical fiction with a POC or LGBTQ+ protagonist
  20. Read a book of nature poems
  21. Read a children’s book that centers a disabled character but not their disability
  22. Read a book set in the Midwest
  23. Read a book that demystifies a common mental illness
  24. Read a book featuring a beloved pet where the pet doesn’t die

Extreme Nerd Challenge: 22/50

EDIT on February 17:

I've decided to track my Book Riot challenge reading in this list, as well as the Extreme Book Nerd challenge my library district is holding. The Extreme Book Nerd is 50 books in 50 categories, and you cannot use a book for more than one category, so instead of listing the 50 books, I will simply count down to 50. I anticipate using a lot of the Book Riot books for the Extreme Book Nerd challenge, for obvious reasons.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 1/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, Rhovaniel said:

As of today, I have read 4 books in 2021 and it's not even mid-January yet.

I've made it through three graphic novels in the last three days (La Pension Moreau 1, Satoko and Nada 3, and Susanna Moodie: Roughing it in the Bush) - graphics and children's books can really get your numbers up fast!

• Like 3

I've been struggling with how to set my reading goal this year. So I'm going to keep it simple: no tracking, no completion goals, but I will commit to reading INTENTIONALLY. If I'm reading, I'm not watching TV, browsing YT, scrolling through social media, checking my email, etc.

470244112_download(27).gif.d8be0820ad3edad5cf05b2acb4e6d544.gif

• Like 8

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

The tragic tale of my reading aspirations at work today:

Found out last night that there was going to be a planned power outage at my work this morning.

YAY! I can bring a book to work!

Got in this morning and found out that we were running on emergency backups which probably wouldn't last for the duration of the outage.

So book later?

Hit the end of the power outage without losing the backups.

But...book?

• Sad 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I'm currently reading  Murder, Motherhood, & Miraculous Grace by Debra Moerke. A true account of what can happen in a foster care situation.

I plan on reading intentionally as well. I don't want to set a book goal because I am a speed reader & will rush through a book to reach a numbered goal.

• Like 2

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

On 1/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I haven't seen anyone posting this so far... so here is the Book Riot 2021 Read Harder Challenge

Oh, screw it. This is my 2021 reading challenge. 

Fourth time's the charm! :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Oh, screw it. This is my 2021 reading challenge. 

Fourth time's the charm! :D 

Haha!!! I've tried 3 times I think? 2019 was the best I did IIRC. I looked at this years list and there are many more categories that don't interest me at all compared to previous years. 

For #10, might I suggest

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Haha!!! I've tried 3 times I think? 2019 was the best I did IIRC. I looked at this years list and there are many more categories that don't interest me at all compared to previous years. 

I always think that every year, but I look at this challenge as an opportunity to branch out and read book I otherwise would not ever be exposed to because of a lack of access to them and lack of information about them. I'll probably spend a weekend soon going through the list and and start trying to get my hands on books to read.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I always think that every year, but I look at this challenge as an opportunity to branch out and read book I otherwise would not ever be exposed to because of a lack of access to them and lack of information about them. I'll probably spend a weekend soon going through the list and and start trying to get my hands on books to read.

I always struggle with lists like this because I don't plan my reading out that much. I sort of grab books at random based on what appeals to me at the moment and tend to get frustrated when I start looking for something specific, especially if I finally find something that fits the category and then my library doesn't have it. The real problem I guess is that I'm too lazy to do that much research, but I am lucky enough to have a sister who loves that kind of thing, so when I am inspired to try challenges like this, I can subcontract finding the books out to her.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I always struggle with lists like this because I don't plan my reading out that much. I sort of grab books at random based on what appeals to me at the moment and tend to get frustrated when I start looking for something specific, especially if I finally find something that fits the category and then my library doesn't have it.

My local libraries cater to what the average person around here wants to read... which is mainly books that try hard to not upset the social status quo and do their best to encourage the opposite of questioning social structures and systems and whether they are fair or not. Their non-fiction selection is more diverse, thankfully.

I anticipate substantial challenges in trying to find a lot of the books on this year's Bookriot list. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Of course! That's the intent. 🙂 I guess I look at it in 3 categories:

1) books I'm excited about

2) books I wouldn't normally choose to read, but seeing them on the list helps me gain some interest & expand my choices

3) books I have no interest in reading at all

Previous years the majority had fell into the first two categories, with maybe 2-3 only in the last. This year I feel like there are way less in the first category and also way more in the third.

Not sure if this is just because I'm getting pickier in my selections more generally as I read more? Or the categories just don't appeal to me this year.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Of course! That's the intent. 🙂 I guess I look at it in 3 categories:

1) books I'm excited about

2) books I wouldn't normally choose to read, but seeing them on the list helps me gain some interest & expand my choices

3) books I have no interest in reading at all

Previous years the majority had fell into the first two categories, with maybe 2-3 only in the last. This year I feel like there are way less in the first category and also way more in the third.

I look at it the same way, and every year before now the majority of books fell in category 2.  Personally, I hardly ever put anything in the third category without examining it to see if it might be interesting after all, and I haven't had an opportunity to do so with this year's Bookriot list. I am planning to set aside time for it this weekend.

I will say that at first glance, the list looks a lot as if the editors of site had a competition on who could come up with the most woke task in 15 words or less... while I applaud their efforts to help their mostly-white mostly-US based audience to broaden its horizons, I would not be surprised if the obvious way this years task list rubs that in our faces might back-fire by turning away some of the ones who need it the most. 

I wonder if Robert Frost counts towards #20....?

• Like 4

Bit late to the party but...

wave hello GIF

better late than never!

I have a to-be-read-mountain and really need to work on that before getting new books, for now my goal for the year is to read 25 books - currently reading A Feast for Crows. I have started Dracula at the beginning of the year but after the first third it started to drag on and on so I put that on hold but still intend on finishing it. But for now GoT it is!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

hello bear just bear waves | Hello gif, Bear gif, Hello bear

We're still in early January... We generally don't consider it to be a "late" arrival for the annual reading challenge until at least November or so ;) 

Welcome to the Rebellion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I look at it the same way, and every year before now the majority of books fell in category 2.  Personally, I hardly ever put anything in the third category without examining it to see if it might be interesting after all, and I haven't had an opportunity to do so with this year's Bookriot list. I am planning to set aside time for it this weekend.

I will say that at first glance, the list looks a lot as if the editors of site had a competition on who could come up with the most woke task in 15 words or less... while I applaud their efforts to help their mostly-white mostly-US based audience to broaden its horizons, I would not be surprised if the obvious way this years task list rubs that in our faces might back-fire by turning away some of the ones who need it the most. 

I wonder if Robert Frost counts towards #20....?

Yep... same here w/ most falling into category 2 previously. 

I'm not gonna lie, I had the same thought re: your second paragraph lol I'm all for representation, but when you start adding 3-4 qualifiers, you're severely limiting options and it gets more and more likely that I won't find something that I will give a shot, let alone enjoy.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

23 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

don't interest me at all 

Truth

I made my own categories just for this reason. Many of the reading challenge lists just don't do it for me. I do want to read outside my comfort zone, but I will not finish books that don't hold my interest. I am also more likely to stall out and just not read for a while if I have books I need to slog through. So far I've read my first graphic novel and then two more, two books of poetry, a novel in verse, and two actual novels. Now that I've got on a bit of a limb... back to sci fi ❤️ 

I really enjoyed the novel in verse, and need to find more books like that.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Gnome |  Druid/Ranger | Level

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | Back squat Tiny Human's weight
Goodreads

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Finished A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix last night. It look me a little while to get into it, but I ended up really liking it. 

I haven't read that one yet but I'm a big fan of Garth Nix. His Old Kingdom/Abhorsen series is one of my absolute favorites and Keys to the Kingdom was quite fun as well.

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

22 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

I haven't read that one yet but I'm a big fan of Garth Nix. His Old Kingdom/Abhorsen series is one of my absolute favorites and Keys to the Kingdom was quite fun as well.

This is the first of his that I've read, but I'll definitely be checking out his other stuff.

• Like 1

After chowing down 7 books in the first two weeks I've been at a standstill. I think one issue is that I haven't had much time to read lately that I haven't then instead spent mindlessly browsing the interwebs but also I'm trying to read a non-fiction book (it's a compulsory text for uni) and my heart just isn't in it.

I'm gonna try get through it this weekend :)

• Like 1

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

I'm here! Sorry it's taken nearly a month, but @Scaly Freak reminded me of this incredible challenge, and I am very grateful for that.

My overall goal is 50 books this year. I am also trying to get through as many of the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge tasks as possible, so I am using those tasks to help select the books I read. I'm still going to be my usual picky self, through, rather than just choose any book they recommend. I did not complete the entire Read Harder challenge last year, but because of the challenge I read some amazing new books I might not otherwise have bothered with or even heard about.

I also have two free audiobook apps, Hoopla and Libby, so there will definitely be audiobooks, as well as digital and physical books.

So far this year, I have finished The Last Wish (from the Witcher series). I am currently reading a romance novel titled Spoiler Alert as part of the RH challenge. I almost never read romance novels, but this one sounded just nerdy enough to grab my interest; plus, it is also categorized as a fat-positive romance. I'm about 60 pages in, and... it is actually charming.

I'm looking forward to joining this challenge. 50 is my goal. Wish me luck.

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 1/14/2021 at 12:36 AM, Scaly Freak said:

That was my real purpose for taking on that challenge last year, to intentionally expose myself to books out of my typical genre or comfort zone. Some of them made me squirm, but they also challenged me (which is the point, of course). I remember my heart just being wrenched by Jesmyn Ward's Sing, Unburied, Sing. I also finally read James Baldwin's If Beale Street Could Talk.

I don't know about this year's list. I mean, there are some great categories, but some of them have me hesitant, not because I'm opposed to reading something from those categories but because I know some will require a greater sacrifice of both time and emotional expense, neither of which I have much of at the moment.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b