Hello everyone. Kinda late here, but I have been working on flexibility in my challenges and as part of my goal for this year, so I figured I would jump in.

I don't have any exact measurements on my current status/progress, but my main goal right now is to be able to place my hands flat on the ground in a forward fold at the waist. When I started my routine a few weeks ago, I could not even touch my toes. Now after I have warmed up, I can press my fingers to the ground, so making progress there.

My secondary goal (and teriary goal) is to do the forward and side splits. I still have a long way to go with those. With the forward splits I can almost get into a position where I can mostly straighten my legs when using my hands to support myself above the ground. With the side splits...lol, I think I am currently around a 90 degree angle, maybe a bit more when I spread my legs. 

I will add more flexy goals as I go, but three main goals seems like enough to keep me busy for now.

• Like 3

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 1/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, Keladris said:

Also, forgive the double post. But this is amazing progress! Very inspiring.

Thank you!! ❤️ 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Most of you have had about two weeks in this challenge. How is it going for you?

The last two weeks were a bit wonky for me because I was a bit more busy in my normal life than usual, but I still managed to miss only one stretching session. Still love it. :) Though I find: I kinda like it better when I'm concentrating on one thing (e.g. middlesplits) for a few weeks and then changing it up opposed to doing something different every day. I will continue my current plan until the end of Februray (that is how long I planned it in advance, and now that it's written in my calendar I kinda have to do it. :D ), but I'll probably go back to doing "2 weeks of middlesplits, 2 weeks of frontsplits..." afterwards. :) 

29 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I don't have any exact measurements on my current status/progress, but my main goal right now is to be able to place my hands flat on the ground in a forward fold at the waist. When I started my routine a few weeks ago, I could not even touch my toes. Now after I have warmed up, I can press my fingers to the ground, so making progress there.

That's great progress! Congratulations. :) 

• Like 2

Challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,1617

Check-in

This evening I took measurements of my flexy status.  My forward fold is 4.5 inches above the middle of my kneecaps (with straight back/shoulders back).  There is no improvement here because I haven't been working on it.  The previous measurement of 6 inches was a guess.  My toe-to-foot angle is 70 on the left and a smidge over 90 on the right.  The left toe is improving a little maybe?  I do stretch it throughout most days.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

I've decide to make my next 5 week challenge focused on flexibility. Been doing some stuff as part of my workouts (mainly following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OzPShRHgM ) 

I've deffo made progress with it but not really been tracking. So I want to make myself some clear trackable goals for my challenge. Problem is, I can't decide what!

My ultimate flexi goal is to get both middle/side and front splits. I've come across a 30 days to splits routine (below) which I like because it's clear to follow. I'm not holding out that 30 days is enough, but it'll give me a program to follow and I can clearly tick off each day whether or not I've done the stretch.

With that in mind, I think one goal should be to do some stretching every day. I do like the Kathyrn Morgan routine (above), which I usually do after a workout. Maybe I can incorporate that with the 30 day thing?

Then there's also the NF challenge and benchmarking tool, so that's another option...

I'm generally liking the idea of taking photos rather than measuring. I just find it either

Just can't figure out which way to go and what specific goals to set. I'm wondering what folks think?

Journey-to-Splits-Square3.jpg

• Like 1

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

On 1/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, Epsilonte said:

That's rather normal. It's the difference between active and passive flexibility. Passive is against the floor (or holding the leg...), active is well, held active. :D It's good to train both, because all the passive flexibility doesn't help much if you can't control it actively (it's also much better for the muscles and helps to prevent injuries if you do a lot of active stretches, strengthening the muscles). So yaaaay strength building! :D 

Alriiiight, quoting this to have it handy as motivation :D

Also, I wonder what you are doing for your shoulders and back, Epsilonte?

I decided on my flexy focus for this year:

Toe touch

Butterfly and log (working towards center splits)

Front splits (just the right side for starter's but to stretch both)

Active leg raises (idem)

Along side my upper body & lower body fysio.

I have also been doing the "garland pose" whenever I think about it (often) for hip opening. Does a lot for me 😊

And as a minimum some warming up in the morning. Neck, shoulders, elbows ( robot turn and twisting my arms left and right alternstively :D ) , upper body twists, hip turning, knees, ankles (each while balancing on one leg). 

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

27 minutes ago, Athena said:

Also, I wonder what you are doing for your shoulders and back, Epsilonte?

Most of the time... Nothing. xD xD I hate back stretching (since it's more strength training than stretching and so tiring). I should do more of it, I tried (my little challenge in January was the first time I tried to incorporate more shoulder/back videos), but I almost always skipped the shoulder/back videos because I just don't like them... Haven't found something that keeps me motivated in that regard yet. :( I will keep my eyes open. :) 

30 minutes ago, Athena said:

Front splits (just the right side for starter's but to stretch both)

Yes please always stretch both sides!! And try to start with the "second best" side, most of the time while stretching the first side gets a little more attention and so the two sides should equal out a bit over time. Also it's really motivating if you do the "good" side last and end on a positive note. :D 

• Like 2

Challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,1617

On 1/26/2021 at 5:44 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Most of you have had about two weeks in this challenge. How is it going for you?

I have done pretty much jack all.  I need to get on this

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 2/20/2021 at 6:34 PM, Athena said:

Did you decide on anything by now?  :) It's late but I will think about it!

I went with the 30 day splits challenge thing, combined with some extra stretches after workouts. So far, so  good. Although I'm a long way from the floor! I've been having some odd numbness/pins and needles sometimes when doing a low lung, think there's some hip to knee nerve weirdness going on. So I backed off a little bit for a few days on that side. Will post progress pics when I get them!

• Like 1

Keladris the Bard
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

I've been doing only little bits when I think of it, which is predictably not producing big results. I'm going to try adding in toe touches during awkward little moments like waiting for something to print to up the volume and get more daily practice in, sort of a grease the groove of stretching.

I have also been doing a bridge every non-exercise day. I can get into it just fine, but I've noticed that the skin over my hips feels very tight, like it might tear. (I remember vividly the moment the skin on my lower abdomen tore into stretch marks late in pregnancy. It hurt a lot, and I'd rather it not happen again.) I can't think of any reason my skin would be tighter than it was in the past, so what else could it be? Tight hip flexors? Any ideas?

On 2/5/2021 at 9:54 PM, Keladris said:

Journey-to-Splits-Square3.jpg

This is awesome! I have been wondering where you find progressions for stretches. Do they really expect you to get splits in 30 days though?!

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 2:05 AM, Epsilonte said:

Yes please always stretch both sides!! And try to start with the "second best" side, most of the time while stretching the first side gets a little more attention and so the two sides should equal out a bit over time. Also it's really motivating if you do the "good" side last and end on a positive note. :D 

On the flipside, starting with your second best side first can be more unpleasant and demotivating... Starting with your best side can help in getting the body primed for the unpleasantness to come and put you in more positive mindset. 🤔 But yes whatever you choose, always stretch both sides!

On 2/24/2021 at 5:15 AM, Keladris said:

I went with the 30 day splits challenge thing, combined with some extra stretches after workouts. So far, so  good. Although I'm a long way from the floor! I've been having some odd numbness/pins and needles sometimes when doing a low lung, think there's some hip to knee nerve weirdness going on. So I backed off a little bit for a few days on that side. Will post progress pics when I get them!

Look up femoral nerve glides and see if that helps. 🙂

On 2/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, juliebarkley said:

I have also been doing a bridge every non-exercise day. I can get into it just fine, but I've noticed that the skin over my hips feels very tight, like it might tear. (I remember vividly the moment the skin on my lower abdomen tore into stretch marks late in pregnancy. It hurt a lot, and I'd rather it not happen again.) I can't think of any reason my skin would be tighter than it was in the past, so what else could it be? Tight hip flexors? Any ideas?

Could  be a sensation in the fascia. Foam rolling beforehand can help to desensitize the tissue. Or maybe your body is not quite warm enough. And make sure to drink plenty of water.

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 1:03 AM, juliebarkley said:

This is awesome! I have been wondering where you find progressions for stretches. Do they really expect you to get splits in 30 days though?!

I think it completely depends on your starting point. I did some reading and it looks like most people don't make it in 30 days. What I'm finding though is that daily stretching really does make a big difference to progression, so I think that's the value of doing it as a 30 day challenge.

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Look up femoral nerve glides and see if that helps. 🙂

Ah thanks that's super helpful :) I've been finding it's been getting a wee bit better over time, but still tingly.

Keladris the Bard

1 hour ago, Keladris said:

What I'm finding though is that daily stretching really does make a big difference to progression, so I think that's the value of doing it as a 30 day challenge.

There are many ways to reach the same flexy goals. 🙂 If daily stretching works for you then that's fantastic! But I do want to throw it out there that it's also perfectly possible to train 1-2x/week and make great progress (just in case people get put off by the myth that you have to stretch daily or it's not worth it). It all depends on how you train, how your body recovers etc. 

1 hour ago, Keladris said:

Ah thanks that's super helpful :) I've been finding it's been getting a wee bit better over time, but still tingly.

Yay on both counts!

• Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 3:14 PM, Mad Hatter said:

There are many ways to reach the same flexy goals. 🙂 If daily stretching works for you then that's fantastic! But I do want to throw it out there that it's also perfectly possible to train 1-2x/week and make great progress (just in case people get put off by the myth that you have to stretch daily or it's not worth it). It all depends on how you train, how your body recovers etc. 

I really appreciate this! Tbh I'm not sure I'll maintain the every day thing after the 30 day challenge, so it's good to know I can keep progressing with less sessions :)

Keladris the Bard

Flexy squad - I need your help! Today I misread number 19 of the splits challenge (posted above) and ended up doing something like in the pic, but further off the floor.

Problem was, I got stuck! Couldn't figure out how to get out safely, it was like my ankles had slipped too far and I just couldn't find a way out of it. I was particularly worried about injuring the muscles around my knees. In the end, my partner held me under the armpits and I rolled back onto my butt, but it was a bit scary for a moment there!

What is the proper protocol for getting out of this sort of pose? 

IMG_5787-compressor.jpg

• That's Metal 1

Keladris the Bard

On 3/5/2021 at 4:47 AM, Keladris said:

Oh no! That must have been scary yeah!

I make sure I am close to the couch or so so I can grab on and lean against it to get out of a conundrum if I get in one. ❤️

~~~~

Finally recommencing my flexy journey, everyone. Looking forward to it. A bit tentively, since I don't want to stop for such a long time again, but I think we are past that. Times are shitty rn and quitting happens. Just have to get back up.

On that note.... ALLONS-Y

On 3/5/2021 at 5:47 AM, Keladris said:

Flexy squad - I need your help! Today I misread number 19 of the splits challenge (posted above) and ended up doing something like in the pic, but further off the floor.

Problem was, I got stuck! Couldn't figure out how to get out safely, it was like my ankles had slipped too far and I just couldn't find a way out of it. I was particularly worried about injuring the muscles around my knees. In the end, my partner held me under the armpits and I rolled back onto my butt, but it was a bit scary for a moment there!

Oh sorry I missed this! The easiest way for me personally is to walk my hands forward and bring my legs together so you end up doing a bit of a belly flop on the floor. Not the most graceful, but it works. 😆

And very nice middle split - you're super close to the floor!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Finally recommencing my flexy journey, everyone

Me too! It's been a few years, it's going to be interesting. 😮

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And very nice middle split - you're super close to the floor!

Oh it's not me! I just grabbed that from google for a refernece. God a long way to go for middle splits... But here's my latest front split. I finished the 30 day challenge and deffo mad progress:

162435760_468891061214167_5301838452812372039_n.jpg

• Like 2

Keladris the Bard

On 5/18/2021 at 4:24 AM, Athena said:

How is everyone's flexy practice going? :)

I happened to get a routine in the day before yesterday for the first time in ages :D

I went an injured myself pancaking, but have since recovered and now I really feel like I'm making progress again. I'm close to a front splits on one side, but the other side is still some way off. I think my favourite stretch is froggie, it feels so good!

Also, why are pancakes so hard? How does anybody get to the floor?

• Like 1

Keladris the Bard

Splits update! How is everyone doing?

WIN_20220126_20_20_29_Pro.jpg.1c0bb147e26a98284520a5d36616e0ca.jpg

WIN_20220126_20_18_23_Pro.jpg.87ed3c8c88e51820b8d8bccecd3bc619.jpg

• That's Metal 1

Keladris the Bard

On 1/27/2022 at 3:08 AM, Keladris said:

Splits update! How is everyone doing?

A little late but that's the beauty of the forum format, I can still reply haha

Awesome, your progress!

I'm doing alright. Just let go of all goals to help my mental health recovery for a few months. Now slowly rebuilding it all. Well, not all. Rebuilding what I want to rebuild 😛

I'm pretty stiff at the moment and I really want to get back to working on my ankle and wrist resilience and flexibility 🤩 I think I need to ask for accountability when I do and also find simple ways to jazz it all up, haha. Sprinkle some glitter on my yoga mat maybe :D

• Like 1