Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2021)

Did 3 miles today. Freezing rain started up almost as soon as I went out, but I really didn't want to go right back in, so I braved the elements. GloriousAcademicJaguarundi-small.gif

Can't say I enjoyed it, but now that I'm thawing out on the couch, I'm glad I stuck with it.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I fell off the wagon and seem to have stayed behind in Hobbiton... They just really know how to throw a party there. But, the weather is clearing so what better time to head on out of the Shire? 

lord of the rings hobbits GIF by Box Office

Going to be making walking twice a week part of my next 5 week challenge. I'm in aw of those of you getting out every day, I struggle to find the time/motivation when working from home.

• Like 2

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

Finally found a good walk tracking app so should be more accurate from now on :) Today's walk revealed new trails since the snow has properly melted now, very exciting to get off the beaten track!

54km/33miles travelled so far, which means I'm up to the first sighting of the black rider... Meanwhile, the hobbits are talking with Strider at the Prancing Pony in the audiobook.

the lord of the rings elise GIF

• Like 2

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

23 hours ago, Keladris said:

Finally found a good walk tracking app so should be more accurate from now on :) Today's walk revealed new trails since the snow has properly melted now, very exciting to get off the beaten track!

54km/33miles travelled so far, which means I'm up to the first sighting of the black rider... Meanwhile, the hobbits are talking with Strider at the Prancing Pony in the audiobook.

the lord of the rings elise GIF

New trails are exciting!

I always forget how sketchy Strider is when he first shows up in the books. I left the hobbits in Rivendell on my re-read, should pick that back up again.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Like so many things, my journey begins unceremoniously, and without the fanfare it it should receive.  I came across this, I thought "I should do that". I bought a map of Middle Earth for my wall and downloaded the spread sheet to edit for myself. I thought I should start mid April, with a send off of prosecco and blister pads. But I sat in my chair last night and thought "I walked today. I should start today." So I did. And I guess I'm off on an adventure. I'll be counting any form of human propulsion as miles traveled, be it by foot, by bicycle or by kayak. Maybe I'll even count laps that I swim.  

I look forward to seeing you on the road. I don't travel alone, my ever vigilant companion Wednesday will be at my side, wary of strangers and looking for snacks. 

See you out there!

IMG_0432.jpg

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Grace1010 said:

But I sat in my chair last night and thought "I walked today. I should start today." So I did.

It's nice to have a little bit of fanfare, but the very best day to start is today, so way to go! 

Bit late to join in, but I'm in!

"Move more" is one of the key components of my current challenge, and my work place is holding a 10K steps/day challenge as well since Monday, which I've joined too.

And since I have a Fitbit, my steps have been tracked for all days anyway, so I've entered from January 1st to today in the spreadsheet. Because I have OCD. 😇

I'm just taking the distance my Fitbit says, everytime an activity was marked as "walking". That distance will be based on the number of steps I took, not the actual distance, so it's not going to be accurate, but it'll be close enough for my purpose, I feel.

• Like 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Who has rights to edit the spreadsheet? There's a problem for my April total (cell AF38), it's still looking in the March tab. Just copying the formula down from the cell above should fix it.

Nice to know that in the past 7 days I've already walked about the same distance as in all the weeks before that this year combined... 😅

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

Who has rights to edit the spreadsheet? There's a problem for my April total (cell AF38), it's still looking in the March tab. Just copying the formula down from the cell above should fix it.

Nice to know that in the past 7 days I've already walked about the same distance as in all the weeks before that this year combined... 😅

Did you fix it? It looks right to me now.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, Grace1010 said:

It's been almost a month, and I hit 90.34 miles - Whoo! I've included km's rowing on the rowing machine. The goal is to hit at least 4m every day which can be tough between school and work, but Wednesday and I are making real progress. I bought a massive map of Middle Earth, and we check in on the distance from time to time. Looking forward to Bree!

WHOOOT! I love the idea of having a map. 

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

Bit late to join in, but I'm in!

"Move more" is one of the key components of my current challenge, and my work place is holding a 10K steps/day challenge as well since Monday, which I've joined too.

And since I have a Fitbit, my steps have been tracked for all days anyway, so I've entered from January 1st to today in the spreadsheet. Because I have OCD. 😇

I'm just taking the distance my Fitbit says, everytime an activity was marked as "walking". That distance will be based on the number of steps I took, not the actual distance, so it's not going to be accurate, but it'll be close enough for my purpose, I feel.

Welcome aboard! I've always felt that how I track isn't as important as being consistent with whatever method I use. I'm pretty sure my garmin isn't all that accurate, but since I always use it, the trends in my distance are accurate.

3 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Did you fix it? It looks right to me now.

Nope, in the April tab, cell AF38 (the total for the month) has this formula:

=IF(A38="",,SUM(March!B38:AE38))

That should be:

=IF(A38="",,SUM(B38:AE38))

The March! reference just takes the sum for the previous month again.

And I can't change it myself since AF38 is considered a protected cell.

7 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Nope, in the April tab, cell AF38 (the total for the month) has this formula:

=IF(A38="",,SUM(March!B38:AE38))

That should be:

=IF(A38="",,SUM(B38:AE38))

The March! reference just takes the sum for the previous month again.

And I can't change it myself since AF38 is considered a protected cell.

Huh, yours is the only one that did that. It's fixed now.

Thanks a bunch! 👍

That's one Nazgûl less to worry about on the road to Rivendell, I guess. 🙃

On 4/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, TimovieMan said:

On 4/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, TimovieMan said:

I only really started walking on Sunday, so I've deleted all earlier distances. Just because I have the data doesn't mean I should use it. And now at least it feels more like I've actually started walking to Mordor, and not with a semi-random head start.

Let's chalk this one up to "early installment weirdness". Because I'm finicky that way... 🙃

• Like 1

Bump.

According to this I've just passed Farmer Maggot's crop fields and house.  Onward to Tom Bombadil's place! 😄

• Like 2

I just recently made it to the Redhorn Pass and got attacked by wargs. And all I could picture was

LotROT.png.c1c714cf9897cd9deac5ea4a0a740751.png

Does anyone else think we need an Oregon Trail style Lord of the Rings game? Because I totally think we do.

3 hours ago, Grace1010 said:

Does anyone know how to quantify indoor rock climbing in to measurable distance?

Maybe you could find a step conversion for indoor climbing and then convert the steps to miles?

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

With the walk I did this evening, I'm now at 226.4 km or 140.7 miles.

That means I've been to Bree, stayed at the Prancing Pony, met up with Strider, and am now on my way to Weathertop.

Aragorn-Fan-Art-aragorn-34236398-500-170

• Like 1

@Artemis Prime, it looks like the Daily Pace column for June needs to be fixed. It's checking against dates from 2020. Also, the year at the top of columns AJ-AM is a little out of date :)

In other news, I entered Moria this week!

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Sorry, I've been doing one month at a time, but took a little break from the forums and forgot to fix this. I'll get right on it.

Also, CONGRATS! Destroy that ring!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Sorry, I've been doing one month at a time, but took a little break from the forums and forgot to fix this. I'll get right on it.

Also, CONGRATS! Destroy that ring!

Thanks on both points!

Kind of frustrated because I lost the piece of paper I wrote down May's miles on. I signed up to cycle on my way to Mordor back in January, promptly didn't do it, and then randomly starting cycling in May. At first I only tracked calories (forgetting about the challenge), then I started tracking my kilometers and now I can't find the paper. Sigh. It's probably in one of the million notebooks I have lying around. At least I have June's. 

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps.