Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2021)

@Magdalena Ravenclaw That's so frustrating! I've had so many false starts from not keeping track of my mileage. 

3 hours ago, Grace1010 said:

Less that 200 miles left to Rivendell.  It would go a lot faster if I didn't have to work and study and all that. 

Whenever I get frustrated that Frodo made the trip so much faster than me, I remind myself that all he had to do was walk to Mordor but I've got those other pesky responsibilities getting in the way.

Made it to Lothlorien, next stop Rauros!

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Hey Fellowship, just updated the July sheet so everything should be showing now. I'm a little burnt out on tracking right now, so I'm taking a bit of a break from it. Decided there are worse places to spend the summer than chilling in Lothlorien with Galadriel who is super cool (and also a bit scary.) How's everybody else faring?

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

On 7/6/2021 at 5:22 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Hey Fellowship, just updated the July sheet so everything should be showing now. I'm a little burnt out on tracking right now, so I'm taking a bit of a break from it. Decided there are worse places to spend the summer than chilling in Lothlorien with Galadriel who is super cool (and also a bit scary.) How's everybody else faring?

Thanks for continuing to update the spreadsheet! I'm 57 miles out from Lothlorien, so maybe I'll see you there before the summer is over!

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

In the name of really re-spawning, I signed up.  Between 2016 and now, I've walked (for this challenge) 943 miles.  So, Lothlorien is behind me ... and ahead of me as well.  🥾

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

33 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

In the name of really re-spawning, I signed up.  Between 2016 and now, I've walked (for this challenge) 943 miles.  So, Lothlorien is behind me ... and ahead of me as well.  🥾

Welcome to the Fellowship!

• Thanks 1

August sheet has been updated. Think I'm going to sit this month out, too, but planning to hit it hard in September. I was thinking of trying to arrange some group challenge/contest/thingummy to generate a little interest and excitement this fall, but I'm coming up empty. Anybody have any ideas?

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Anybody have any ideas?

Being entirely self-serving  .... a unique title??  

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

<- under the user name

Mine's generic (based on number of posts).  Much sad.  So many years of boring title.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

<- under the user name

Mine's generic (based on number of posts).  Much sad.  So many years of boring title.  

Gotcha, yeah I've been sad about my generic title too. That's an idea. Which has in turn spawned another idea about virtual badges/medals. I'm off to chat with the mods!

• Thanks 1

Okay, so after playing around on my profile, I think we could create our own virtual badges that people could post in the About Me section of their profile. So, for example, if we host the first annual NF Baggins Birthday Bash in September, anyone who logs miles (or km) that month would get a little icon commemorating the momentous occasion. Yes? No? Do you find that at all motivating? Badges aside, I can of like the Baggins Birthday Bash - thoughts on that?

@Chris-Tien Jinn The special rank idea has merit too. I was thinking it could go three ways:

1) We do a leaderboard and the winner (or top 3, or 5, or however we decide) either wins a pre-set title (Bearer of the One Ring perhaps?) or gets to choose their own unique rank.

2) Everyone who participates in the event gets a rank unique to the group (ex. Member of the Fellowship of the Ring -->not sure I love that one, but you get the idea)

3) Different ranks go with different tiers. So if you log 10 miles, you can be the Defender of Hobbiton and if you make it the whole way up to 100 miles you can be a Ranger of the North. (Numbers and titles completely off the top of my head, we can refine this down the road if people like the idea.)

What think you, fellow travelers of Middle Earth?

• Like 1

Oooohhh ..... they all sound great, @Artemis Prime!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Hi Hal! Don't forget to stock up on lembas on your way through.

DIY #Lembas bread! | Lord of the rings, Lotr funny, Tolkien

I couldn't quite decide on which reaction to use, so here are multiple! (And they came out huge, lol.)

Thanks     Haha     Like

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Took the pup on her first mini hike yesterday! Think she'll be more than ready to set out from Lorien next month.

20210817_181247.thumb.jpg.572b9e83392fad14becedec9e75b7998.jpg

For the next challenge (September 12-October 16), I'm planning to invite the rebellion to the first annual NF Baggins Birthday Bash! I have a couple random ideas to try to keeps things interesting around here, but if anyone has any suggestions for running a virtual Middle Earth birthday party that also involves walking/hiking/running/forward movement, all help is appreciated!

48 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Took the pup on her first mini hike yesterday! Think she'll be more than ready to set out from Lorien next month.

Fun!

GREETINGS FELLOWSHIP! Tomorrow is the first day of September, and I am now issuing your official invite to the

FIRST ANNUAL BAGGINS BIRTHDAY BASH!!!!

Log miles on the September sheet, PM me your address*, and you will receive your COMMEMORATIVE STICKER in the mail:

*completely optional, of course. You are in no way obligated to send me your address, but I can't send you a sticker if you don't.

1075690243_B3sticker.jpg.deff86868a3d6f3cf532d6ddbd13837c.jpg

Anyone with more design skills than me (so pretty much everybody) feel free to make suggestions. Final design needs to be approved by NF, but I don't think they're going to be too fussed.

Spread the word across the forums! Let all your NF friends know! Expand the Fellowship! That Ring's not going to destroy itself, you know!

• Like 2

Restarted my walk to Mordor. Excited to see how far I make it with the remainder of this year. :)

• Like 1

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

11 hours ago, AverageFish said:

Is it too late to join? I stumbled upon this thread a week or so ago, and realized that 1. I could use something to take the place of my workplace's annual step challenge that ended August 31 and 2. I'm long overdue for a Tolkien re-read.

It is never too late to join. Welcome to the Fellowship!

• Like 1