File_001.jpeg.13dc9850a213a306cb2ae221bba8d7e5.jpeg

Going home feels a little different each time, she thinks. The feelings are scattered, skittery little things that flit between her branches like her little bird. When she set out for adventure, Tova wanted to learn everything, see everything, do everything. Her unrelenting drive -  a continuous rockslide with no intent to stop, no concern for damage it might cause - had finally gotten the best of her. And now it was time to recover. 

Recover. How frustrating. Going slow. Even worse. That’s why she left the grove in the first place. Nothing was ever happening in the grove. But… maybe she had been wrong about that. Maybe she could grow like the vines, slowly and then all at once. Maybe she could stash strength away like a squirrel hoarding food. Emerge from the winter’s chill stronger and yet more settled. Maybe more change happened here than she ever gave the grove credit for.

As her strength returns and her soul stills in the calmness of the grove, her curiosity will revive as well. She’d be back out adventuring again. Tova was sure of that. 

Inspired by so many others last challenge, I now have a legit character and a backstory ☺️

100% thought the challenge started tomorrow, not last week. So here I am a week late 🤷‍♀️

Name: Tova, Warrior of the Wilds
Race: Dryad
Alignment: Chaotic good
Class: Beastmaster Ranger

Goals this session:

Increase STRENGTH

• Daily WALKS, progressively increasing time, incline, or speed as my body dictates
  • Daily strengthening EXERCISES, set up so it can be done with Baby Bird in tow

Increase CONSTITUTION

• Follow a morning ROUTINE
    • Get up before Baby Bird
    • Get dressed
    • General hygiene
    • Walk, leave sneakers by treadmill
  • MEDITATE daily, if possible

Continuous: 

• Keep Baby Bird entertained and fed
  • Help Squirrel stay focused and do what he needs/wants to do
  • Drink plenty of water in the mornings, and eat when hungry

Projects:

• Write out exercise plan, post in big print in living room and Baby Bird's room
  • Plan talk for word workshop #2
  • Plan talk for goal workshop #1
  • Determine what's in my Box of Holding
  • Finish a few things (exact # TBD) from aforementioned Box

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Return to the Grove

Dryad | Beastmaster Ranger | Licensed Cat Cuddler

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | more tbd
Goodreads

W2 D1
Walk: 8 min, 3%, 2.0mph. Overdid it yesterday with 2x 10 min 2% 2.0pmh and was tight today. Also poor sleep = pain.
Strength: stretch but no strength
Routine: yes, though walk was delayed until after Baby Bird's breakfast due to pain
Meditate: about to right now

Baby Bird is getting increasingly restless. He is so so close to being a full fledgling, no longer my little nestling. He's ready to go EVERYWHERE. Right now, I am the ideal jungle gym. And holy smokes are these four walls getting dull. For him and for me. It was much easier, in so many ways, when the weather was warmer and Baby Bird and I spent time outside. That time will come again, but for now I need to get creative with things to do inside. 

Possibilities for tomorrow: 

- Yoga with Baby Bird. Attempt in morning when he's less clingy. Downstairs, because yoga on a mat on the carpet in his room is difficult, as I found out today.

- Visit the Wild Horse. I need to drop off the check for board anyway. Baby Bird LOVES to see the Wild Horse.

- Let Baby Bird play in the sensory box.

- Complete 1 chore or sort a few things in the Box of Holding

• Like 1

Goodreads

Love the new Username and the challenge set up. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 1/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, Elastigirl said:

I like your character set up!

Me too. And your new name.

On 1/11/2021 at 5:47 AM, Tova, Warrior of the Wilds said:

Visit the Wild Horse. I need to drop off the check for board anyway. Baby Bird LOVES to see the Wild Horse.

Is this the same one you used to stable and ride?

Glad to see you here.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 1/12/2021 at 5:33 AM, MrsVan said:

Is this the same one you used to stable and ride?

Glad to see you here.

Yes. He's not that Wild 🙄  😋 but it keeps with the new theme. He's mine until he's gone from this world, hopefully many more years before that. 

I have to be careful Baby Bird doesn't get his little fingers bit off, as he almost stuck his hand right into Wild Horse's mouth yesterday. 😳

It is equally difficult to explain hands are not carrots as it is to explain big furry thing has bitey bits that will  trash little hands.

Monday was the first day I've ever accomplished my entire morning routine in one go. It's all of 20 minutes, but Squirrel and I made it happen. Eating was on point. Walk was great. Baby Bird was bonkers, and it seems he is getting more teeth. 

Routine: HECK YA
Walk: yep
Strength: no
Meditate: yes

Tuesday I was so. done. with teething. I was tired and achey and UGH. Walk didn't happen, eating could have been better, but Baby Bird and I made it through the day. He is incredibly cute, even when miserable. 

Routine: half, no walk
Walk: later in the day
Meditate: yes, before bed, but still struggled to settle down

I've already finished two novels - one a delight and one a dismaying miserable slog - as well as a book of poetry, a novel in verse, and three graphic novels this year. I'm super pumped to hit new reading goal numbers!!

Box of Holding is yet untouched, but will be divided into Two Boxes of Holding instead of One Overflowing Box of Holding this afternoon - if Baby Bird lets me....

• Like 2

Goodreads

On 1/13/2021 at 9:02 PM, Tova, Warrior of the Wilds said:

Monday was the first day I've ever accomplished my entire morning routine in one go. It's all of 20 minutes, but Squirrel and I made it happen. Eating was on point. Walk was great. Baby Bird was bonkers, and it seems he is getting more teeth. 

Routine: HECK YA
Walk: yep
Meditate: yes

Woot! Woot! Nicely done.

My first thought about this week is that I've been a total asshole to myself.

My second thought is this isn't entirely true, but it feels that way.

Aside from Monday morning, hitting goals for the week was a mix of overdoing and complete trash. Wednesday I woke up early, and only did part of the routine so as to not wake Baby Bird and Squirrel. I did get on the treadmill, but then since the weather was nice we also went on a walk outside which was GLORIOUS but I ended up hurting afterwards and doing jack shit the next day. I've also been staying up late, even though I keep telling myself to not do that. When I'm tired, I eat, as if that will give me more energy. Fun fact: it doesn't. When I don't have the time - since Baby Bird has been a handful - I don't meal plan, so I don't grocery shop, so then we run down to very little food in the house. Very little quick food, that is - when I'm managing a fussy Baby Bird, I need quick eats. Also when I'm tired, I nap and tend to forgo my walks. I KNOW exercise gives me more energy. I know this. And then I don't and the cycle continues. I'm being an asshole, I'm not taking care of myself, and that is not what returning to the grove is about.

What I know I need to do: eat less high calorie foods (especially easy to grab carbs), eat foods that will fill me up and keep me feeling full (protein, fiber), drink more water, move my body more, GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP

What I want to do: wander around the effing grocery store like fracking normal and pick what I think looks good instead of fricking online shopping, buy all the vegetables, meal prep and portion size everything with all the time I don't have, restrict restrict restrict, push push push, ignore soreness and pain, and suddenly be able to do the things I did before like normal 😡

ok.

What I will do instead:

- make sticky note lists of my routines and put in bathroom and kitchen 

- set out a glass of water to drink every morning
- portion out cereal
- alternate days of cereal and days of homemade high protein oatmeal (I will find the oatmeal is more filling/satisfying)
- Bolster breakfast with fruit, yogurt, cheese
- Roast sweet potatoes or butternut squash for lunches

- Make a list of high protein and high fiber quick snacks to add to grocery list
- Drink a glass of water before snacking
- Not confuse thirst with hungry or tired with hungry (at least try not to)
- Not consider tracking food, because that results in Bad Thoughts

- Consider using newfound journal app to write about how I feel before I eat

- Talk to Squirrel about fitting in more treadmill walks during his breaks

- Set additional bedtime reminders

- Rethink how I'm spending my mental energy when I'm on my phone, the computer, or watching youtube

• Like 1

Goodreads

Week ahead planning:

• I will treat myself with some kindness. Change takes time. Small change is lasting change. Lasting change is what I want in the long run. 
  • Today Squirrel will help me finalize no equipment exercise plan and I will post it in Baby Bird's room and the living room Sunday
  • Today I will make a template in the journal app for food diarySunday
  • I will finish notes for word workshop #2 by tomorrow afternoonSunday
    • I needed to email a few folks and I did that this afternoonSunday
  • Make a list of what is on the table, and determine a number of them that I want to finish in the next two weeks
  • Make a list of high protein and high fiber quick snacks to add to grocery list

ETA on Sunday Evening: I did a good job this afternoon working through these things, all while being in a bad mood. I'm going to add a few more things to the week

• Take some time for myself, alone and calm, active and present in what I'm doing
  • Make a list of random internet things I want to get done
  • Get in to see my chiropractor

Sunday

Routine: completed
Walk: 2.0 mph at 2% incline for 10 min x 2 times
Meditate: about to after I shut down computer

• Like 2

Goodreads

I just don't even know how to move forward right now. Apparently I need to relearn how to walk appropriately. I got a gait evaluation at the end of my PT session, but no concrete exercise plan. I know I will get a plan, and I will make progress eventually, but hot damn if this is not the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in a while.

I read about gait retraining. That just made my mood worse.

I also need to learn how to relax my muscles, as I am relapsing into fibro tendencies.

F. F. F. 

F. 

• Sad 2

Goodreads

31 minutes ago, Tova, Warrior of the Wilds said:

I just don't even know how to move forward right now. Apparently I need to relearn how to walk appropriately. I got a gait evaluation at the end of my PT session, but no concrete exercise plan. I know I will get a plan, and I will make progress eventually, but hot damn if this is not the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in a while.

I also need to learn how to relax my muscles, as I am relapsing into fibro tendencies.

F. F. F. 

F. 

Sorry about the frustration. Hopefully it will be a short term frustration followed by less pain and  more energy

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 1/25/2021 at 3:52 AM, Tova, Warrior of the Wilds said:

F. F. F. 

F. 

How are things going? How are you doing?

Praying and sending you lots of hugs and support.

❤️

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines