It’s been a good month or two since I posted here. Suffice it to say the holidays weren’t terribly less stressful than the rest of last year. But I’m here now and I’m going to try to be fairly consistent about that. 

So, goals:

1. Improve nutrition - I’m planning on using the nutrition levels in the nerd fitness app to guide what I’m eating, although I’ll really take anything that results in less takeout.

2. Exercise 3 times a week - I’m not sure what I’ll do specifically. We’re getting to the point (>2 weeks after new year’s) that I’m not completely uncomfortable going back to the pool. On the other hand, covid regulations currently restrict pool usage to three people an hour. I haven’t checked availability yet, but it was already decently low when there were five people an hour. I’ve got a few things I want to try to find online, as well, but to have something now I’ll start with body weight work and/or the yoga videos my gym posts every week.

3. Improve the fancy random number generator - This one’s mostly for fun. I got stressed a week or so ago having to pick out something to cook on top of all the work it would actually make it, so I wrote a short program that would pick a couple of recipes out of a list at random added a simple display with pictures and clickable links. I think the next thing I want to add to it is the ability to generate a shopping list and hopefully upload it to Google keep (I haven’t yet checked if that’s actually possible with keep).

This upcoming week will likely be the most difficult. Work was in a very stressful spot last week and I pulled a lot of overtime. I’m fairly  certain that this week will follow suit. I have tomorrow off, though, so hopefully I can take advantage of that to get a start on cooking and exercising.

• Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 12:01 AM, delalana said:

3. Improve the fancy random number generator - This one’s mostly for fun. I got stressed a week or so ago having to pick out something to cook on top of all the work it would actually make it, so I wrote a short program that would pick a couple of recipes out of a list at random added a simple display with pictures and clickable links. I think the next thing I want to add to it is the ability to generate a shopping list and hopefully upload it to Google keep (I haven’t yet checked if that’s actually possible with keep).

Well this is just brilliant. What sort of recipes do you have/ prefer? Glad to hear your work schedule returns to normal - that much OT isn't healthy - mentally or physically. 

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Work did end up being reasonable last week, with a bit of overtime, but much more manageable. And being excused from a customer meeting this morning is a good sign for this week as well.

Food and exercise continue to go well. Yesterday it sunk in that, given perpetual telehealth appointments on Mondays, switching my schedule from MWF to TThS is probably a good idea. Depending on how I’m feeling this evening, that change will happen this week or next.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:56 PM, Manarelle said:

Well this is just brilliant. What sort of recipes do you have/ prefer? Glad to hear your work schedule returns to normal - that much OT isn't healthy - mentally or physically. 

Thanks. it’s also a nice way to distract from all the things I “should” be doing. There’s not a ton of pattern to my recipes, although I do have a fair amount of Mexican and Asian, and Greek food is fairly hit or miss with me. I like spinach, but have to plan it carefully as the grocery store’s half pound bag usually costs almost as much as the 2.5 lb bag from Costco and I’m cooking for one.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, delalana said:

Thanks. it’s also a nice way to distract from all the things I “should” be doing.

I hear you on this... nothing quite so productive as times you're avoiding doing something else. Glad work is going better, and good call on switching things around to make the schedule easier. 

• Like 1

As predicted, I did not get around to exercise yesterday, but did get in a workout this evening after work. Workout 2B is way harder than 2A and I’m feeling it. Everything is trembling at the moment.

I got one project pretty well wrapped up today, but another isn’t in a great spot, and the third needs to come off the back burner for a bit. So this will end up being a long week again.

On the happier side, my parents accepted an offer on their house! Just over seven weeks until they live not 11 hours away from me :) 

• Like 2
On 1/26/2021 at 9:54 PM, delalana said:

On the happier side, my parents accepted an offer on their house! Just over seven weeks until they live not 11 hours away from me :) 

Nice, congrats! I presume they're moving closer to you? 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:14 AM, Manarelle said:

Nice, congrats! I presume they're moving closer to you? 

Yep, they don’t have a specific place picked out yet, but they’ll be living with me for a bit while they look for something in my general area.

• Like 1

Another Tuesday down, another round of meetings to figure out which customer needs what when. Knock on every single piece of wood I can find, I think I’ve figured out the second to last tricky issue with one customer’s project so this week should (might) be a little less hectic.

With everything going on with work right now, rolling goals seem like they make more sense than sticking with something for any length of time. So for this week:

1. Keep going with NF nutrition levels. Right now I’m on the eat one vegetable a day stage, which seems just about doable given that I chopped up some bok choy a few days ago and can now grab and go. I can’t promise I’ll hit recommended protein amounts. It still seems to be having a positive effect, though, as half of my pizza lunch is going back in the fridge because one piece of pizza and about a cup of bok choy is enough to make me decidedly not hungry.

2. Stop working by 8pm. Rest is a thing that my mental and physical health both need and it’s easy to forget that.

3. Cook. The soup I made yesterday did not turn out well, so I’m suddenly very low on food. I need to finish assembling a casserole that’s half prepped and do the planning I need to to hopefully be able to cook this weekend.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, delalana said:

. Keep going with NF nutrition levels. Right now I’m on the eat one vegetable a day stage, which seems just about doable given that I chopped up some bok choy a few days ago and can now grab and go. I can’t promise I’ll hit recommended protein amounts. It still seems to be having a positive effect, though, as half of my pizza lunch is going back in the fridge because one piece of pizza and about a cup of bok choy is enough to make me decidedly not hungry.

That sounds like a definite win!

2 hours ago, delalana said:

3. Cook. The soup I made yesterday did not turn out well, so I’m suddenly very low on food. I need to finish assembling a casserole that’s half prepped and do the planning I need to to hopefully be able to cook this weekend.

Aw, boo. So frustrating when you Did the Thing, planned ahead, worked hard and..... it still doesn't work out. Good luck with the casserole. You've got this!

• Like 1

Yesterday went pretty well.

- The customer is happy with the solution to the tricky problem, so I can go focus on other projects for a couple of days.

- The casserole got assembled and I cleaned the kitchen.

- I found out The IT Crowd is on Netflix

Today wasn’t half bad either:

- Having a hard cutoff of 8pm really helped focus my last couple hours of work when I had to pick which bugs I wanted to focus on

- The casserole is in the oven and more bok choy is cooking on the stove

- I got in a short but totally counting it work when I got bored about halfway through the nearly two hours of all company meetings this morning

• Like 2