I hate deadlifts

I really hate deadlifts. Is this just me? Regular deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, the lot. I think it's because a) it just takes so much effort (I know all strength training does but deadlifts are just knackering), b) I never know if I'm doing it right so end up doing something different every time, hence my weight and reps are all over the place, and c) I'm not making any progress at all; if anything I'm going backwards. With what I think is good ish form, I can only do 35kg for regular and 33kg for sumo, for about 7 to 10 reps ☹. When I was at the gym (we're in lockdown 3 in the UK now) I was doing about 55kg BUT I realised my form was dreadful and I was "cheating" and I established the most I could lift whilst having 'decent' form was 35kg. Which I know is useless.

Give me squats or bench press any day, but deadlifts I just despise. Is this only me? I need some affirmation.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:24 AM, Firecrest said:

Which I know is useless.

Says who? Is this a new rule I'm not familiar with?

There's no requirement that says you have to force yourself to suffer through deadlifts if you really hate them, because if you don't then you're not a real weightlifter. There is no sacred club membership that will be cancelled because your opinion isn't correct, or something like that. If you hate deadlifts, don't do deadlifts. That's it. 

I would recommend that you identify other hip hinge exercises that target the same muscle groups and do them instead, since it's unwise in the long run to completely ignore a whole muscle group, fort balance reasons if nothing else. Lunges and hip thrusts come to mind, or kettlebell swings.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Agreed, there is zero reason to do deadlifts if you don't like them. And they are well known to be more taxing on your nervous system - so if it's not your jam, don't force it! I also agree that you should do something for the hip dominant/hinge movement though - KB swings are another good one, though hip thrusts as ScalyFreak mentioned are my personal favourite.

• Like 2

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

I used to hate deadlifts! When I first started, my hands were too weak to hold onto the bar for the duration of my sets. I'd lift so little I could hardly feel it in my legs, but I'd be straining to hold onto the bar and just hoping my hands didn't give out. I don't mind them so much now I've trained my grip, but it's still not a motion that comes naturally to me. I spent a week doing deadlifts with practically straight legs and nearly did my back in before I googled the correct form - I felt like such a wally!

If you want to master them but worry about form, it might be helpful to get someone to check your form and correct you. Once you get the "feel" for the correct motion, repeating it a few times should cement it and then you can build on strength once you've mastered technique. I know how debilitating it can be - I have a perfectionist/competitive streak, and so learning a new exercise and feeling like I'm "bad" at it makes me want to quit - but sometimes it can take a few days or even weeks to NOT feel like an awkward oaf when we try something new . Sincerely, somebody who literally fell on her butt at the gym trying to do one legged squats. In front of people!! 😬

Or, alternatively, find another lower body exercise! As the others have said, there is no requirement that you do deadlifts if you don't like them. I used leg press machines almost exclusively for the first 2 years and only recently switched to squats and deadlifts because I wanted to engage my core (also lockdown meant I no longer had access to machines and had to get inventive with bodyweight workouts in my bedroom). So if you've been doing it for a while and you don't like it, here's some alternatives:

Squats

Leg press

Lunges

Split squats

Barbell hip thrusts

Leg extensions

• Thanks 1

And don't forget the deceptively simple glute raises.

You can do them one-legged, by standing on all fours and lifting one leg straight out and up as far as you can get it, with your glutes fully engaged the whole time.  Or you can lay on your stomach and use your glutes to lift both legs at the same time and hold them there for a count, then lower them slowly.  It seems like nothing until the DOMS hit....

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32