Casanun1.jpg

This challenge was rudely interrupted by a pandemic last year. However, now that we're settling into our post-apocalyptic plaguescape for the long haul, it is yet again time. This challenge, I will endeavour to become the Disc's second greatest lover.

casanunda.gif

"My name's Casanunda," he said. "I'm reputed to be the world's greatest lover. What do you think?"

Nanny Ogg looked him up and down or, at least, down and further down.

"You're a dwarf," she said.

"Size isn't important."

This challenge, I'm working my way up the rankings of the world's lovers by leveling up my international playdwarf lifestyle. (Or, as a previous challenge put it, do things with elegance. Strangely, despite years of aikido and years of urban myths about people being told to do things elegantly, I had to re-derive the principle in another way before I realized this was not about aesthetics but about managing to combine mindfulness with emptying the mind.)

Some of these may seem like odd choices for a fitness/life level-up (like increasing alcohol consumption, and, I dunno, taking life advice from the worst possible people), but there are three factors at play here: first, this challenge needs to be fun, cuz this us what we do instead of vacations in plague years; second, it's addressing recovery from a certain amount (which is to say, lots) of cutting corners on self-care in the broader day to day living sense and getting by on "acceptable"; and three, it's addressing the (narrative) causality between good habits and seemingly unrelated projects and lifestyle choices. Or, as Vetinari would have it, all the little wheels must spin so the machine can turn.

And this is a timely challenge. I've really been struggling with self-care lately.

Part I: Casanunda Training

There are two first steps to becoming the world's greatest lover: First, yoga warmups with lots of hip openers, for obvious reasons, and, second, get into bed as often as possible. (For sleep, of course. I don't know what you're thinking.)

If I'm going to be a soldier of fortune, I need to work on mental stillness and physical prowess. Walking and strength training, to start with, and some meditation.

Tasks to be checked off: rewatch Casanova and take notes.

Part II: Be a Better Lover Than Lord Rust

"It was a Guild of Assassins, after all. Black was what you wore. The night was black and so were you. And black had such style, and an Assassin without style, everyone agreed, was just a highly paid arrogant thug."

While Assassin-School-trained, Lord Ronald Rust did not particularly benefit from the lessons on style. So I think I can outdo him here on the things that make an Assassin an Assassin.

The projects I will do here include repairing and replacing bits of my wardrobe with a focus on rotating in my higher quality clothes, leveling up my daily grooming from ultra-practical to something attempting a little actual style, and more aperitifs-and-tapas.

This will also involve getting back in the habit of making actual things with recipes and planning and cultural connotations, rather than just going with the fastest and most basic form of slapping nutrition onto the table, and managing my pantry better.  Also, getting back to my macros and IF schedule.

Part III: Be a Better Lover Than Rufus Drumknott

"I believe he collects different types of stationery," said Vetinari. "I have sometimes speculated that he might change his life for the better should he meet a young lady willing to dress up as a manila envelope."

All this lifestyle-leveling-up requires a certain amount of organization and schedule-wrangling. Being the world's second greatest is demanding. And for me, leveling up the bachelor pad is going to center on organizing: not just finding the right place for everything, but finding the right use for everything, and the most efficient way to organize it all. Where the Lord Rust half of this focuses on making everything I own beautiful, the Drumknott portion involves making it all useful, and also includes recycling things I don't use into things I do. Things will fit into the storage I already have, be more organized, and work better. Also, the habits I use to clean and organise it will be streamlined.

• Like 8

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Habits:

• Yoga before bed
  • Jump into bed
  • Walk
  • Strength training
  • Meditate
  • Skin care
  • Grooming habits
  • Make morning coffee, since I can't afford a valet to do it for me
  • Make evening tea, since I can't afford a valet to do it for me
  • Intermittent fasting window
  • Set up the workspace in the morning
  • Make a to-do list
  • Do a quick evening apartment reset

Part I: Casanunda Training

Tasks:

1. Watch Casanova 1 and take notes
  2. Watch Casanova 2 and take notes
  3. Watch Casanova 3 and take notes
  4. Try out a dance workout

Part II: Be a Better Lover Than Lord Rust

Tasks:

1. Make a list of Ankh-Morpork recipes
  2. Make a meal schedule
  3. Buy some grooming implements
  4. Try making homemade mascara and eyeliner
  5. Lockdown haircut
  6. Clean closet
  7. Organize closet
  8. Curate winter clothes
  9. Finish setting up irrigation
  10. Move green onions to hydroponics
  11. Replant veg and herb pots

Part III: Be a Better Lover Than Rufus Drumknott

Tasks:

1. Write down cleaning routine for the bathroom
  2. Clean the bathroom
  3. Write down cleaning routine for my desk
  4. Clean my desk
  5. Write down cleaning routine for my kitchen
  6. Clean my kitchen
  7. Write down cleaning routine for my hall and laundry room
  8. clean my hall and laundry room
  9. Write down cleaning routine for my living room
  10. Clean my living room
  11. Write down cleaning routine for my bedroom
  12. Clean my bedroom
  13. Schedule the evening cleaning reset and make a card for it
  14. Make a fridge inventory
  15. Make a freezer inventory
  16. Make a pantry inventory
  17. Bonus: restart macro tracking
  • Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Food, or being a better lover than Lord Rust

As the world's second greatest lover, I must be au courant in the use of food as a seduction tool. Also, I must have standards that befit the social status to which I aspire.

This challenge, food must be these things: very low effort, actually a known dish of some kind, available in Ankh-Morpork, and preferably snobby. Also, as I am just an itinerant soldier of fortune, cheapness helps. Oh, and I want them to fit my macros, so gluten free and low carb. (Note how I have not entirely ruled out "cabbage and random pork products in a bowl" here, what with that being an old Ankh-Morpork classic that can be had for ten cents a bowl near Treacle Mine Road. It's good to be realistic.) Also, I would like these dishes, where possible, to take advantage of what I grow myself, as that is both cheap and posh.

Spoiler

Things aristocrats are known to eat in Ankh-Morpork:

• A plate of jolly nourishing eggs, bacon, and potatoes. Can be done if I replace the potatoes with something more suitable.
  • Chicken legs, celery, and a bottle of beer. Well, the beer is out, but I think that guy is a wine drinker, and the beer was just for easy transport to the dungeons.
  • Cheese sandwiches. Bread is out, so that just leaves... cheese. Let's call it a cheese plate, and if it gets a bit Quirmian, fair enough. (I mean, I can maybe make bread, but it violates the effort rule.)
  • Tea and biscuits. Doable if I make my own cookies.
  • Brandy, rum, whisky, gin, and wine. Well stocked on most of those from my last Casanunda challenge.
  •  Very fast coffee

Things aristocrats probably eat in Ankh-Morpork:

• Nursery food like buttery scrambled eggs.
  • Ditto custards and similar puddings. 
  • Slabs of roast meat with mustard and two veg.
  • Quirmian food, like quiches with salad.

Things an aristocrat who isn't spending much money and is kind of slumming it is known to eat in  Ankh-Morpork:

• Hot cocoa
  • Curries
  • Pizza. This sounds like it's out, but I do have a quick pizza crust cheat or two up my sleeve.
  • Pork pies. Maybe, using one of the above cheats.
  • Sausage inna bun, ditto.
  • Jammy devils, ditto.
  • Slumpie, aka, throw all the cheap random leftovers into something stew-like.
  • Anything Sham Harga could fry up, like, uh, a fry-up.

Things the aforementioned could eat:

• Klatchian food, like kofta or shakshuka.
  • Agatean food. Okay, this is here because I have a cupboard full of tofu and don't want to eat soya rat.

And fortunately for my intermittent fasting, while the old hidebound sort of aristocrat probably does eat a large breakfast, I believe the efficient modern sort likely does not, and instead has his secretary bring him coffee at his desk.

One of the early recipes to try is a classic Quirmian recipe:

This will need some modification. No muffin. Bed of greens, preferably home grown. (I'm thinking some radish microgreens might be awesome.) Up the bacon content due to the greens.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deftona said:

What a brilliant challenge!

It's kind of a big one, which I worry about, but last challenge, the problem with delightfully simple challenges was that I don't have enough framework to support them with my current lockdown/mental health state.

So I dusted this one off again. I haven't noticed any mental health changes, but I have noticed that my self-care has slipped in a ton of the ways they use as benchmarks for dips in mental health. I'm drowning in lockdown, I need  to build a raft of little habits.

So it's big, but I guess the goal is not to pressure myself to do all of it, but rather remind or inspire myself to do a critical mass of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. I always love when you have a disc-themed challenge.

They are my go-to, it's true. Every so often, I just need Vetinari being ironical at me.

• Like 1

Today's accidental points:

• Watched some YouTube fashion videos that were good fits for my fashion sense and demographics. (Conclusions: I'm not on the wrong track.)

fashion fall GIF by Who What Wear

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Mind if i look around here a little? I always love your interesting replies on other people threads...

Mi casa es su casa, amigo!

• Thanks 1

Week 0 Day 1

Let me time-sort these a bit...

AM

• Skin care
  • Grooming habits
  • Set up the workspace in the morning
  • Make morning coffee, since I can't afford a valet to do it for me
  • Make a to-do list

Day

• Walk
  • Strength training
  • Meditate
  • Intermittent fasting window

PM

• Make evening tea, since I can't afford a valet to do it for me
  • Do a quick evening apartment reset
  • Yoga before bed
  • Skin care
  • Grooming habits
  • Jump into bed

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Well, in that case...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor al bundy couch gif

No worries, mate. Gonna ask you to do the dishes, though.

dishes GIF

34 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor do a dish gif

Okay but next time i'm doing this without pants, cause that's how i roll

Someone who does my dishes can wear as much or as little as they please. House rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 2

These loose macros are just horrendous for me, so all my remaining carb food (except the fruit, which I will finish, and some sweet potato fries in the freezer) is turning into a long term covid stash. We're not tapering off for this challenge, but diving in.

I'm uninspired for dinner, but I do have chicken legs, which are very useful for eating in dungeons. I have some red wine to drink out of the bottle, which is almost like a beer and more gluten free. I do not have celery. But I do have broccoli. That's pretty close, right?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Be sure to plant some parsley in your garden. Anything can be made posh by arranging it artistically on a plate and putting a sprig of parsley on it.

Now this is complicated. I'm only windowsill gardening at the moment. And the only parsley seed I have is the one with the large edible root,  so it couldn't go hydroponic. But I should have a pot deep enough. And I also have lots of chervil seed, and chervil is like even posher, more Quirmian parsley.

I do have a ton of gardening tasks for this week. I'm not saying I've killed everything, cuz I haven't, but it's pretty close. I really need my irrigation setup finished. (Chard and green onions, basically. I'm hoping the mint surprises me, but I don't have high hopes.)

• Like 2

Oh, guess what I haven't done today? Anything on my list! Sleep has been bad. Let's see here.

1. IF window
  2. Make an evening list
  3. Make food
  4. Clean the espresso pot
  5. Make tea
  6. Have a very civilised latte
  7. Exercise
  8. Meditate
  9. Do the laundry
  10. Organize a thing
  11. Make a weekly list
  • Like 1

In my excitement about following this challenge I forgot that I have questions!

On 1/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, sarakingdom said:
  • Try making homemade mascara and eyeliner

How? What kind of eyeliner? What's even in mascara and eyeliner?

On 2/8/2021 at 12:44 PM, sarakingdom said:
  • Jump into bed

This is literal right? 

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:
  • Have a very civilised latte

What makes an uncivilized latte?

• Like 3