Wayfarer's Rest, the Tavern at the Edge of the World: General Chat

Wait, what happened to the last challenge?!?  Guess I've been in hyperspace too long. :P 

For real though, I have no idea where the time has gone.  Stupid quarantine, making everything fly by while simultaneously dragging on endlessly.

I think I will hop on the tea trend as well.  Some chai, please, with just enough milk substitute to make it creamy. :)

• Like 3

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

tenor.gif?itemid=10086859

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • That's Metal 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Ah, this I like. Pint of the black stuff, barkeep.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:36 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

First round is on the Chaplain!

CK9DLsTUwAAtndR.jpg

I have to know, is this actually strawberry flavoured? I had an ale called Strawberry Fields a few years ago (for some anniversary of the Beatles song) which had strawberry flavouring in it, and it was absolutely dreadful.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

*walks into the tavern, sits at the bar, and orders an ale* 

Helllloooo everyone! Ready for this challenge! Let's do this! *raises her mug in salute* 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

A short, stout, snow-covered shape shuffles into the tavern, shaking vigorously at the door and still not quite managing to dislodge all of the snow. They remove the heavy cloak draped around their shoulders, hang it up, and head to the bar to pick up a steaming hot, ridiculously sweet mocha in the largest mug the barkeep possesses. That done, they make their way over to the fire and sit down in the first free space they find.

• Like 5

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

8 hours ago, Jarric said:

Ah, this I like. Pint of the black stuff, barkeep.

I have to know, is this actually strawberry flavoured? I had an ale called Strawberry Fields a few years ago (for some anniversary of the Beatles song) which had strawberry flavouring in it, and it was absolutely dreadful.

There are hints of strawberry in it in a way that enhances the beer, rather than strawberry flavoring with beer as an afterthought. I like it.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There are hints of strawberry in it in a way that enhances the beer, rather than strawberry flavoring with beer as an afterthought. I like it.

Oh yeah, that sounds nice. What I had was definitely some strawberry flavour thrown into a beer after brewing :apathy:

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

Oh yeah, that sounds nice. What I had was definitely some strawberry flavour thrown into a beer after brewing :apathy:

The Spoetzel Brewery is far too skilled for that nonsense. I really think we are in the Golden Age of Craft Brewing in the U.S.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I really miss being able to head out to a bar/restaurant/tavern/pub, plop on a stool and see what interesting thing they have on tap. A sampler sixer from the grocery store is not nearly the same thing. (of course, I'm not doing that anymore either, because curbside pickup)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sylph said:

I really miss being able to head out to a bar/restaurant/tavern/pub, plop on a stool and see what interesting thing they have on tap. A sampler sixer from the grocery store is not nearly the same thing. (of course, I'm not doing that anymore either, because curbside pickup)

The worst thing is the local store always seem to have all the same beer, and at a certain point in lockdown I'd tried them all :lol:

What does curbside pickup mean? I think I'm having a translation issue here.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

What does curbside pickup mean? I think I'm having a translation issue here.

Ah. So some grocery stores here, you pick out all your stuff online, pay with credit card, and at a designated time you drive up to the store, park in a designated area and they load all the groceries into your trunk for you.

It's kept my COVID-era people-contact WAY down. (And before that kept my annoyance with grocery shopping to a minimum)

• Like 2

Stumbles in — sits at bar — asks for coffee — no, no, a big one — yeah, you're right, let make it a Spanish latte.

I'm challenge-less! I was going to do a muscle gain PVP with Jarric but then I did some push ups (read: one push up) and discovered I am VERY WEAK and that put a discouragement roadblock in the hypertrophy goal because I need to like have a functioning muscle before I can make it bigger, right? (I was hoping my yoga challenge would transfer to bodyweight exercises more...) And we're 4 days into Week 0 and I still haven't made a spreadsheet for the PVP or figured out how to structure my challenge. I might go for a grease the groove style approach so I can get enough base strength move into weight gain next challenge, but I feel like I need a theme or something to make it feel exciting.

Help?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sylph said:

Ah. So some grocery stores here, you pick out all your stuff online, pay with credit card, and at a designated time you drive up to the store, park in a designated area and they load all the groceries into your trunk for you.

It's kept my COVID-era people-contact WAY down. (And before that kept my annoyance with grocery shopping to a minimum)

Ah, I see. We call that click and collect. I've not tried it, but it definitely seems like a great option to keep contact with people down.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

1 hour ago, foxinthenorth said:

Stumbles in — sits at bar — asks for coffee — no, no, a big one — yeah, you're right, let make it a Spanish latte.

I'm challenge-less! I was going to do a muscle gain PVP with Jarric but then I did some push ups (read: one push up) and discovered I am VERY WEAK and that put a discouragement roadblock in the hypertrophy goal because I need to like have a functioning muscle before I can make it bigger, right? (I was hoping my yoga challenge would transfer to bodyweight exercises more...) And we're 4 days into Week 0 and I still haven't made a spreadsheet for the PVP or figured out how to structure my challenge. I might go for a grease the groove style approach so I can get enough base strength move into weight gain next challenge, but I feel like I need a theme or something to make it feel exciting.

Help?

Ok, on the first bit, there's nothing wrong with focussing on making your muscles bigger, and then switching focus to making them stronger. A lot of lifting programmes work on the basis of alternating between the two - you make the muscle bigger, then make that stronger, then bigger again etc. 

In reality, whatever strength work you do you'll get both bigger and stronger - different plans focus on different things, but it's all strength training on some level.

What I mean to say is don't get discouraged. Keep doing the thing and you'll get better - you have to start somewhere.

As for a challenge theme, what are you excited by/interested in right now? It doesn't have to be anything complicated, just pick something you like and crowbar your goals into it.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Ok, on the first bit, there's nothing wrong with focussing on making your muscles bigger, and then switching focus to making them stronger. A lot of lifting programmes work on the basis of alternating between the two - you make the muscle bigger, then make that stronger, then bigger again etc. 

In reality, whatever strength work you do you'll get both bigger and stronger - different plans focus on different things, but it's all strength training on some level.

What I mean to say is don't get discouraged. Keep doing the thing and you'll get better - you have to start somewhere.

As for a challenge theme, what are you excited by/interested in right now? It doesn't have to be anything complicated, just pick something you like and crowbar your goals into it.

That is helpful and encouraging, thank you. I'll think about how to meld some goals with the writing project I'm currently working on.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, sylph said:

In my city there's a lot of little brewpubs that all have their own custom brews on tap that change out seasonally, and the grocery stores don't stock the weird one-off stuff so you literally can't do that at the grocery store. Dropping by a pub with friends and getting a sampler flight of whatever the brewmaster felt like experimenting with is something I really miss. Like yeah sometimes it was a mistake but sometimes you get a real gem and the gems make it worth it. 

The other thing I miss? Being able to understand what the heck cashiers are saying to me if I have to go in person to a store. Between my mild hearing loss, barriers dampening the sound, and masks distorting the soft consonants and muffling the rest, and then the general noise of a store, most of the cashiers just sound like the Charlie Brown teacher (unless they have a super deep voice because lower frequency sounds are easier to hear for me), and masks make lipreading impossible. I get curbside or delivery where I can but it's not always possible, and when I have to physically go into the store I am often treated like I am being difficult since a babyfaced adult in their early 30s (I still get ID'd) isn't most people's picture of someone who's hard of hearing. Like I'm very lucky that in most environments I have no issues since my hearing loss is only about 25-45 dB depending on frequency but in noisy ones it's tough.

• Sad 1

Now that everyone is all in the same place, should we have birthday announcements (for people that are okay with it)?  Cool, I'll start. 

Today is @Bean Sidhe's birthday!!

bday-469.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Happy Birthday Bean!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will take a glass of water please. 

Image result for glass of water gif

It's vodka really

And Happy birthday!!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

4 hours ago, deftona said:

It's vodka really

It always is ;)

Happy Birthday Bean Sidhe!

• Thanks 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Settles quietly into a corner booth with a good view of the action, not to mention all the exits, and lifts her helmet just high enough to sneak a sip of Sprecher root beer.  Forget about spotchka - THIS  is the Way.

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh