Aquarii - The Training of a Bladesinger Apprentice

Image result for bladesinger

Once, an elven lord, desperate for a child of his own, turned to drow worlock when all other magic failed to help his wife concieve. The powerful drow gave the elven man what he wanted...or so he thought. When the child, concieved out of dark magic, began to grow older, the elven couple noticed a strong power, a strange darkness to their child. When they took their young daughter to an old, scholarly wizard, his prognosis was dire: the girl was touched by the hand of Darkness itself, a force that would consume her before she reached adulthood. If she tried to contain it, it would poison her from the inside out and take her life. If she released it, it would spell destruction for everyone around her. 

The distraught couple searched high and low for a way to spare their child. No one was willing to make an attempt at breaking the spell; no one knew if such a thing even existed. As the elven girl approach adulthood, the elven parents had nearly lost all hope when they came across a Bladesinger master. He said he could not heal their child, but if they entrusted her into his tutelage, he might be able to spare her life while protecting her from others.

So began the arduous training of the young elven lass. For years she has trained in the shadowy, quiet forest, honing her skills and her magic. Only with extreme discipline, careful precision, and the best of the arcane spells can the darkness be funneled and released in a safe and productive way through bladesong. Now, her years of an apprentice are drawing closer to an end. With continued training, she will soon be a master herself. But the training does not end there. The darkness is ever present, waiting for discipline and vigilence to desolve so that it can take hold and bring destruction. Bladesong is not her profession, it is her life-blood. 

Alright everyone, time to dive right into the next challenge. I don't really plan on taking a week zero, because I have lots of momentum going from the last challenge and want to continue with it. I may go a little more lax with nutrition goals during week zero, but only because my birthday is this week. BECAUSE it is my birthday, do not be surprised if things get a little contemplative/reflective around here. 

Challenge Goals:

Body of a Agile Swordswoman

- (STR) Strength and Agility: Bodyweight workouts 3x/week 

- (DEX) Balance and Coordination: Yoga and/or stretching 3x/week 

- (CON) Stamina: 20min+ walks 4x/week 

- (CON) Nutrition: Avoid processed sugar 6 days/week 

- (CON) Hydration: Drink 64 oz of water per day 

Mind of a Scholar

- (INT) Intelligence: Read 6 books

(INT) Intelligence: Complete 5 modules of certification course

- (CHA) Career Knowledge: Complete Digital Marketing Course part 3

- (INT/WIS/CON) Focus: Meditate 6 min per day, 5x per week 

Upping the difficulty a little bit from last challenge, but not much. Just want to make it slightly more challenging to keep it interesting, without making it overwhelming.

• Like 5

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

• Aquarii changed the title to Aquarii - The Rise of a Bladesinger
  • Aquarii changed the title to Aquarii - The Training of a Bladesinger Apprentice

Glad to see you're back, and continuing your RPG self, and happy to share tales of swordcraft and personal mastery once again!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Still loving the narratives and the structure. I’m here to support and follow. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

8 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Following. You got this! :) 

Good to see you here!

6 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Glad to see you're back, and continuing your RPG self, and happy to share tales of swordcraft and personal mastery once again!

I think my last challenge was the most successful challenge that I have had in my 4 years on NF, so I figured something about this RPG self must be working. So I am running with it. It is great to see you back this challenge.

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Loving the narrative and RPG

Thanks. I was wanting to build out my character's backstory a little more. I figured the start of a new challenge was a good time to do that.

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Still loving the narratives and the structure. I’m here to support and follow. 

Thank you :) I am glad to be questing with you again this challenge. I am finding the narrative and structure is working well for me right now. I feel like it really helped me to organize my goals and create more focus and direction, which is something I definitely needed a lot more of in my approach to my goals. 

• Like 2

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

Decided to choose 6 book titles so I have no excuse of "but I didn't know what to read" for my challenge. I can always change them along the way if I want, but at least it gives me something to fall back on if I am feeling stuck on what to read next. I am also trying to hit books for a variety of categories, so a little planning helps keep that on track as well. 

Titles:

The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution by Walter Isaacson (Science + Tech)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Fiction)

Managing Iterative Software Development Projects by Kurt Bittner, Ian Spence (Science + Tech)

Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen by Dan Heath (Business + Productivity)

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (Philosophy)

Common Sense by Thomas Paine (History)

• Like 8

I'm here for this.  Your list of books is intriguing!!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

4 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I'm here for this.  Your list of books is intriguing!!

Thanks. The list is a little all over the place because my goal is to read 50 books this year from a variety of categories: 

- 5 Fiction (1/5)

- 2 Finance (0/2)

- 2 Biographies (0/2)

- 1 Fitness or Nutrition (0/1)

- 5 History (0/5)

- 5 Philosophy (0/5)

- 5 Psychology (2/5)

- 5 Marketing (0/5)

- 5 Business + Productivity (1/5)

- 5 Science + Tech (0/5)

- 5 Creativity (1/5)

- 5 Flex (any category) (0/5)

I am also ATTEMPTING to get through some of a backlog of already owned/borrowed books before buying/borrowing more, so the titles are going to be a little all over the place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

50 books this year from a variety of categories: 

I like that.  I have only read excerpts of Common Sense, but I teach excerpts from Crisis No. 1 (another Paine Piece) regularly.  I love rhetoric and argument.  Frankenstein is another one I have read, but not for years.  If you are looking to focus on classics for your fiction titles, I have tons to suggest.

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

10 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I like that.  I have only read excerpts of Common Sense, but I teach excerpts from Crisis No. 1 (another Paine Piece) regularly.  I love rhetoric and argument.  Frankenstein is another one I have read, but not for years.  If you are looking to focus on classics for your fiction titles, I have tons to suggest.

I already have my remaining fiction titles picked out for this year, but I am always open to additional title recommendations to add to my list for years to come :)

12 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I already have my remaining fiction titles picked out for this year, but I am always open to additional title recommendations to add to my list for years to come :)

OOoooooo, what are you reading??

Oooh what a beutiful Narrative, chearing you one fellow Aquarius! Hope you have fun plans for you b-day!

Ooh Frakenstein, the book I'm happy I heavily Sparknoted it back in high school and reexacmined it in a Horror lit/film class in college. I swear I was a little to "intune" with Mary Shelly that I could see how she would write a piece. 

• Like 1

On a Retreat until June 17, 2024... Look forward to seeing you on the other side!

11 hours ago, Novaurora said:

OOoooooo, what are you reading??

Well, I started with Aliens - The Original Comics Series (30th Anniversary Edition) and then I am doing Frankenstein (which I have never actually read before).

The remaining three are set to include:

Dracula

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Slaughterhouse-Five

11 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Oooh what a beutiful Narrative, chearing you one fellow Aquarius! Hope you have fun plans for you b-day!

Ooh Frakenstein, the book I'm happy I heavily Sparknoted it back in high school and reexacmined it in a Horror lit/film class in college. I swear I was a little to "intune" with Mary Shelly that I could see how she would write a piece. 

Well in that case, happy late or early birthday to you as well. If you are Aquarius too, I know it is sometime around now. And thanks for the wall of love in my notifications. It was very sweet. My birthday was pretty chill and quiet this year, which I am entirely ok with, being a very introverted person. 

It will be my first time through Frankenstein, so I am excited. Also, a Horror lit/film class in college sounds AWESOME. I took a Fairytales class through the German department when I was in college which was a lot of fun, but I think I would have enjoyed a horror course even more, haha.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Well, I started with Aliens - The Original Comics Series (30th Anniversary Edition) and then I am doing Frankenstein (which I have never actually read before).

The remaining three are set to include:

Dracula

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-five is AMAZING.  I do love Vonnegut. I enjoyed OFOTCN too.  Was actually in a play version in high school (as an extra).  Great choices!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aquarii said:

It will be my first time through Frankenstein, so I am excited. Also, a Horror lit/film class in college sounds AWESOME. I took a Fairytales class through the German department when I was in college which was a lot of fun, but I think I would have enjoyed a horror course even more, haha.

I am a BIG fan of all the OG Grimm fairy tales.  So much more nuanced and darker and morally gray than what we've been largely presented with through modern media!

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

7 hours ago, Aquarii said:

will be my first time through Frankenstein, so I am excited. Also, a Horror lit/film class in college sounds AWESOME. I took a Fairytales class through the German department when I was in college which was a lot of fun, but I think I would have enjoyed a horror course even more, haha.

The original Frankenstein is one of my favorites. I’ve probably opined on it before; I read it as an elementary or middle school kid along with my favorite camp counselor. She’d heard I liked sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and the like and challenges my Vernes obsession with one written by a woman, which was basically the foundation of the modern genre. Intrigued, I read it at camp. 

Creepy for a maybe-11-year-old but as a fan of the movies, also much deeper and more sad. Frankly, most of the movies do not do it justice. 

Not to set sky-high expectations for it of course. Also the story behind the writing of it is at least as awesome as the story itself. 

I’ll stop. 

• Like 3

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

9 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Slaughterhouse-five is AMAZING.  I do love Vonnegut. I enjoyed OFOTCN too.  Was actually in a play version in high school (as an extra).  Great choices!!

They are all first-timers for me. I am so behind on my classic fiction, it is kind of shameful, considering how much I read. To be fair, the majority of what I read is non-fiction, so it isn't like I am just omitting the classics for other fiction, but still. 

7 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I am a BIG fan of all the OG Grimm fairy tales.  So much more nuanced and darker and morally gray than what we've been largely presented with through modern media!

They were great. The class was a lot of fun. It wasn't just Grimm/German tales either, it also included some French (including multiple variations of the original beauty and the beast story...all of which are varying degrees of disturbing), Hans Christian Anderson (and some other mermaid/siren tales) and others. Actually, by the time we got to Grimm, the tales really didn't seem all that bad compared to some, lol. I think a fairy tales literature course would better be titled "How to ruin the last little bit of innocence you had left from your childhood".

6 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

The original Frankenstein is one of my favorites. I’ve probably opined on it before; I read it as an elementary or middle school kid along with my favorite camp counselor. She’d heard I liked sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and the like and challenges my Vernes obsession with one written by a woman, which was basically the foundation of the modern genre. Intrigued, I read it at camp. 

Creepy for a maybe-11-year-old but as a fan of the movies, also much deeper and more sad. Frankly, most of the movies do not do it justice. 

Not to set sky-high expectations for it of course. Also the story behind the writing of it is at least as awesome as the story itself. 

I’ll stop. 

Haha, no need to stop. Nerding out over books is allowed, and even encouraged, on my page. I know nothing about her story. Somehow in all my years of school I missed reading the book and learning about her.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aquarii said:

I am so behind on my classic fiction, it is kind of shameful, considering how much I read

My lack of classic/canonical reading is sometimes embarrassing as an English teacher. I have HUGE gaps, especially in Brit lit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

My lack of classic/canonical reading is sometimes embarrassing as an English teacher. I have HUGE gaps, especially in Brit lit.

Lol, I took a year of British Lit in college, so that is the one place where I am ok-ish. But I was homeschooled for the first half of high school and then took college classes for the second half, and between the changing curriculum during my homeschool years and skipping right into college courses for my last two years of college, I ended up not reading a bunch of the classics that were common in school when I was a kid. 

• Like 2

I think if kids are going to watch Disney's Little Mermaid, they first should be required to read Hans Christian Anderson's Little Mermaid.😉 I like your plan of reading  all sorts of types of books. It's easy to just read the type that interest us, which is good too, but nice to read things that might be a bit harder.

• Haha 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Midweek Update

Challenge Goals:

Body of a Agile Swordswoman

- (STR) Strength and Agility: Bodyweight workouts  (1/3) - on track

- (DEX) Balance and Coordination: Yoga and/or stretching (2/3) - on track

- (CON) Stamina: 20min+ walks (3/4) - on track

- (CON) Nutrition: Avoid processed sugar 6 days/week (N/A) birthday week/not tracking

- (CON) Hydration: Drink 64 oz of water per day (3/7)

Mind of a Scholar

- (INT) Intelligence: Read 6 books (0/6) - on track

(INT) Intelligence: Complete 5 modules of certification course (N/A) - waiting for textbook to arrive

- (CHA) Career Knowledge: Complete Digital Marketing Course part 3 (10%) - on track

- (INT/WIS/CON) Focus: Meditate 6 min per day (3/5) - on track

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Haha, no need to stop. Nerding out over books is allowed, and even encouraged, on my page. I know nothing about her story. Somehow in all my years of school I missed reading the book and learning about her.

Mostly I don’t want to oversell it and leave you disappointed. 

The story is told better in a lot of places (including more than one movie or miniseries), but here we go. In the summer of 1816, Shelley and her husband hung out with Lord Byron (yeah that guy whose poetry complete works I have on my shelf) and other friends. Due to the Mount Tambora Volcanic eruption of 1815 in Indonesia, 1816 was known as “The Year Without a Summer” due to the cold and rainy conditions, which led to crop failures and famines and all kinds of awful. Bored and stuck indoors with little sun and few decent days, they started by telling Germanic ghost stories for fun and later proposed a writing contest. Shelley started what she expected to be a short story for her part of the contest, based on a waking dream she had one night. She described it as the moment she stepped out from childhood into life. The heavy feeling of Frankenstein sort of drives that home. She expanded the story based on the reception it received (she won the contest) and the encouragement of her writer friends. 

• Like 3

Spoiler