Treva does Rondo Form

We are going to ignore ALL conventions of musical theory instruction and skip over primum and secondo practica, completely forget about chorale forms, promise ourselves we will return to fugues, sonatas et al, and just go to a form that makes sense for this challenge.  I started a few days ago, giving it at 7-week feel, therefore a seven part form, therefore rondo. 

I swear, I swear this makes sense.

But this is a mad postapocalyptic wasteland so who even cares.

The rondo form is a 5 or 7 part musical form that is characterized by discrete themes/sections that rotate themselves in a predictable pattern, and is a common form used as the final movement of symphonic works or sonatas.  Episodes are given capital letters to designate their identifying theme.  Seven part is ABACABA, five part is ABACA

Besides!  This is a workout place!  Where we obsess over forms!  So we can do ALL KINDS of forms!!

Anyways whatever here we go.  A weeks are focus on body/exercise/diet, B and C weeks are focus on brain/spirit stuff.  

A: get a leg day done and meditate (Past week, done)

B: Catch up on birthday presents, focus on journaling.

A: Start Barre workouts 

C. Recording session at a church—Midway challenge reward with wobble board, mat, and odds and ends.   

A: Weight loss and body fat percentage check in, go to tox rounds, make and give away religieuse 

B:  Stream with my sister if I haven't

A: Weight loss check in—Spoil myself and buy the stuff in my sephora basket 

The basic structure looks like this

image.png.e4f54de1402502be6717ff8f77ab64c1.png

Ahh!! it works!! it uploaded!!!  anyways, I will be filling out one of these per week so I can track my progress simply, update simply, and stay focused on building routines while using the length of the challenge to build good habits.  I may update the goals as I go along, but it's a start.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

End of week 1!

image.png.d8e675c57b4a7c737b8a3300511358ab.png

I did a good job with leg day, and being consistent about my cardio.  I am giving myself points for meditation and cool down, since I know I will do them tonight.  I have reached out to friends I haven't heard from in years.  Lots of journaling.

Bringing home my kettlebell was also very smart.  I think I ought to name them after my favorite bells

Spoiler

5lb: Ranna

10 lb: Mosrael

20 lb: Kibeth

25 lb: Saraneth

30 lb: Astarael

Subject to change, but this lineup makes sense for me.

I love having free time.  It is so nice.  I think I want to read a book next week.  And get back to work, either next week or the week after.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I love how you organized your challenge around something you love. I see you listed S & S as part of your workouts.Is that Simple and Sinister? That is an awesome workout.I did it for the longest time. I didn't quite make the TGU goal  for Simple , but I did  level up in weight I could lift.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love how you organized your challenge around something you love. I see you listed S & S as part of your workouts.Is that Simple and Sinister? That is an awesome workout.I did it for the longest time. I didn't quite make the TGU goal  for Simple , but I did  level up in weight I could lift.

Haha thanks!  Yes, that is simple and sinister.  I am not sure I ever made the goals either, but I love the format and it has been so great for conditioning.  It gave me the basic muscles/body movement foundations  needed to approach other compound exercises.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

45 minutes ago, Treva said:

Haha thanks!  Yes, that is simple and sinister.  I am not sure I ever made the goals either, but I love the format and it has been so great for conditioning.  It gave me the basic muscles/body movement foundations  needed to approach other compound exercises.  

100% agreed.The time I spent on it was very worth it.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 2/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, Mistr said:

I like the structure of your challenge. Structure and variety all at once.

Thank you.  I am trying to make a structure that is flexible enough to work with Resident Lyfe.  It is a work in progress.

Okay, halfway through week 2

image.png.1716bb05cbb2fc1613204b919bb671ec.png

Body: I think I can advance in my leg series this week.  (More reps, same weights).  Taking Kibeth with me has been so smart.  20lbs is just right for vacation exercise.  I will feel ready to work with Saraneth once I head back.  I've been able to go to online classes and focus back on my pilates form, which has been so helpful.  

Brain: So two straight weeks of good skincare and lots of PO hydration has been good for mascne+combination skin+my usual acne.  I'm using ~10 skincare products but it's working.  It's been really nice to meditate too, I am working on being less sensitive and affected by negative comments.  I'm away from my instruments this week and can't practice.  BUT I made huge progress last week on my Bach chorale and my Vierne Carillon, so that's exciting.

Spirit: SO much goddam baking.  I am baking up a monster storm this week.  I am also trying to get my family into healthy eating patterns, mostly because I'm like "look I need a vegetable and a lean protein, carbs are your jurisdiction, can we do those things?" And they are very receptive.  Quarantining has been really hard on them.  

This week's Quest: I got birthday presents for the upcoming birthday, and am figuring out which of my friends I missed while being a Plague Doctor.  

I have shifted around weekly quests based on how my schedule looks.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

image.png.9c70547d3eddc26f26b737843d99ed31.png

Summary for Week 1

Weekly Theme: I got presents for my mom, I know what she wants for her birthday, and I checked in with old friends who had birthdays I missed.  Something tells me a baked good, silly present, and thoughtful card will help.  I have plenty of those in my arsenal, and therefore I feel well equipped to make up for lost time for my friends.

Next week: Add Barre workouts.

Body: I took a rest day yesterday, but I am back on the bandwagon (ish) for healthy eating, hydrating, and working out.  Combat was going to be a wash this week, as was practicing due to lack of equipment, but I am happy with getting my body to move again.  I even did arm day.   Twice.  

Stuff that worked: going to a scheduled class a few times a week has been really nice.  I don't have that luxury normally, but maybe I can find online classes that will work with my schedule.

Stuff for next week: combine S&S with weight trainings, and make it a 5x per week commitment.  Find online classes I can use when back on service.  

Brain: I am happy with cool down and hydrating, and I did better with meditating than I thought.  I do it after working out, and that settles me pretty well.  I feel like hydrating is now a habit I have built and don't have to track.  The last few blocks I had to find ways to study while on service; those are habits I want to build.

Stuff that worked: linking meditation and workouts.  I am remembering to hydrate more often.

Stuff for next week: Make flashcard study a habit.

Spirit: I have been baking TONS this week because of classes I am taking.  I have also had lots of free time to catch up with friends.  I think I can probably readjust some of these goals; I've been asked to participate more in church and frankly, volunteering to record singing hymns for sunday fits perfectly into my erratic schedule.  I should be able to balance that with other things.

Stuff that worked: Baking!

Stuff for next week: Volunteer for more singing and music at church.  

Overall: Off to a good start getting back in motion and tweaking to a healthier diet.  I have room to add more positive habits.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I love seeing how you've been able to make both variety and consistency things for yourself in this challenge. People, I've noticed, thrive on variety to a certain extent, and Monks especially so. It's organizing the chaos that's the trick. But I really like how you've done it; it feels unique to you and that makes it really cool, I think.

With the S&S, you really wanna be careful in terms of what you connect it to. There's a lot of anecdotes about people who thought that the training wasn't enough and added more, and got hurt as a result. I know that this was my story too, although mine was less about what I added and more about adding too much weight too fast.

Your training is yours, of course, so do as you wish; just be mindful and careful, and don't be afraid to break things up if you gotta.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, Mistr said:

Nice progress in the last two weeks!

Thanks!!

14 hours ago, Kishi said:

I love seeing how you've been able to make both variety and consistency things for yourself in this challenge. People, I've noticed, thrive on variety to a certain extent, and Monks especially so. It's organizing the chaos that's the trick. But I really like how you've done it; it feels unique to you and that makes it really cool, I think.

With the S&S, you really wanna be careful in terms of what you connect it to. There's a lot of anecdotes about people who thought that the training wasn't enough and added more, and got hurt as a result. I know that this was my story too, although mine was less about what I added and more about adding too much weight too fast.

Your training is yours, of course, so do as you wish; just be mindful and careful, and don't be afraid to break things up if you gotta.

Haha, that's very great to hear, thank you!  That is very nice of you to say.  I am happy with what I developed, and I'm glad I'm in the right clan :D

I appreciate the insight.  Do you mind telling me a little bit about what "adding on" people did that was detrimental?  I try to change only one thing per week.  For what it's worth, my add ons are

Leg: 3x12 weighted squats (20lbs) OR 3x20 body weights +3x20 hip bridges + 3x15 leg ABduction + 3x6 leg lifts when I'm at my bar set.

Core: pilates or barre

Combat: longsword for 15-20 min

Arms 3x10 pushups, 3x2x10 arm rows

My S&S is still 20 lbs only.  While I add barre this week I'm not increasing anything; next week I'm increasing to 25 lb swings and doing biking again instead of walking.  After that, I may increase leg or arms.  Eventually I want to do 30 lb swings and 25 lb TGUs, but that may take another month.  I know I should look into Pavel's new method.

image.png.66ee1e6c30097008cf078c875685ec5f.png

Body: I found some Barre stuff on youtube that I'm going to try.  I did my first "full load" yesterday - full speed S&S, full speed leg day.  So far so good.  I will want to invest in a mirror for home so I can watch my form.  It's a lot easier to work out when I'm well rested.  I'd like to keep being rested while at work.  Long calls make this challenging.  Prioritizing sleep is going to be important for me in the future.  

Brain: It is sometimes hard to get the time alone to do meditation and journaling.  But I have started studying again.  the flashcards are a good way to start.  If I keep reading and studying, I should be ready for PGY3.

I splurged on new equipment for work, and am going to finally buy the jacket I've been looking at.  I mean, I guess buying a new stethoscope when my tubing is actually broken isn't necessarily a splurge.  Should probably reframe my concept of "splurge" vs "I need this for work, to be efficient, or to make my life less stressful."

Spirit:  I volunteered to do more music at two churches, and my schedule looks good to work at both.  I'm going to be doing some baking today.  I've been working on finding out where my independence has become selfishness, and how I can make sure I'm being compassionate, even when I'm tired or frustrated.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

9 minutes ago, Treva said:

I appreciate the insight.  Do you mind telling me a little bit about what "adding on" people did that was detrimental?

Well, "adding on" refers to people putting extra exercises into a session. So, like, doing swings and get ups even at a low weight but then adding push ups or pull ups in that session. I may have misspoke when I said that there were stories about people getting injured (actually, re-reading that section of the book, I see that I brought some of my own biases with me), but what does seem to be true is that it slows down progress and saps energy that could be used otherwise.

So! You are probably not punching a one-way ticket to Snap City. Isn't that lovely!? :D 

But it could lead to slowing-down of progress with a lot more work, which may or may not suit you. The move is yours, of course.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, "adding on" refers to people putting extra exercises into a session. So, like, doing swings and get ups even at a low weight but then adding push ups or pull ups in that session. I may have misspoke when I said that there were stories about people getting injured (actually, re-reading that section of the book, I see that I brought some of my own biases with me), but what does seem to be true is that it slows down progress and saps energy that could be used otherwise.

So! You are probably not punching a one-way ticket to Snap City. Isn't that lovely!? :D 

But it could lead to slowing-down of progress with a lot more work, which may or may not suit you. The move is yours, of course.

Ok.  I guess that's what I'm doing?  I use swings and TGUs as warm ups, and then go on to my other weight training workouts.  I wasn't getting great results with just S&S+Cardio alone.  Weight loss is challenging for me; my most successful stint was when I was swimming competitively for an hour 5x a week or more.  Since I can't realistically do that, making myself pour sweat for as long as I could seemed reasonable.  For some reason I was under the impression that I had to do S&S every day in order to reap the benefits.  I don't have the book with me, so I can't refer to whatever my impression was.

I have totally missed the joke about snap city.

But you make a really good point, and there's an easy way to restructure my strength training so I'm not coupling up my S&S with my other strength training.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

2 hours ago, Treva said:

Ok.  I guess that's what I'm doing?  I use swings and TGUs as warm ups, and then go on to my other weight training workouts.  I wasn't getting great results with just S&S+Cardio alone.  Weight loss is challenging for me; my most successful stint was when I was swimming competitively for an hour 5x a week or more.  Since I can't realistically do that, making myself pour sweat for as long as I could seemed reasonable.  For some reason I was under the impression that I had to do S&S every day in order to reap the benefits.  I don't have the book with me, so I can't refer to whatever my impression was.

Well, it's... complicated. S&S isn't really like most other kinds of training. It's not dedicated to making you sweat or even necessarily making you work hard. It falls under a different paradigm of training known as "anti-glycolytic training," which means it's based around a lot of submaximal lifting with plenty of recovery. Because it's not trying to kill you, you can do it every day, and that's where the recommendation comes from. Thing is, though, you don't have to do it every day. Folk whom I've seen to do this every day seem to be doing just this one thing; I've seen reference to doing other things alongside but generally when that happens, they reduce the dose on S&S.

As someone who's played both ways, I'm comfortable saying that you could do S&S as its own standalone thing 2 days a week and still get benefit from it. But that would be in the context of doing a whole bunch of other things, which I know I'm doing; I do Gold Medal Bodies' Elements program, which is a movement/flow program that has some difficult bits and pieces attached to it that definitely makes it a work out. I'm doing S&S twice a week, but I'm also doing this other thing 3 times a week, and I'm also doing kettlebell swings daily on the hour and doing martial arts drills as well. It's a lot over a long enough period of time, so an extra couple sessions with heavier weight suits me well.

But that's just my situation, and yours is different. You can dose yourself with S&S as much or as little as you want. If you like what you're getting from mixing S&S with other things in the same session, then hey! That's great! I wouldn't want to tell you to do anything else, or to shrink yourself back or anything if you're getting what you want. Indeed, I've even seen people mix S&S together with the Fighter's Pull Up Program, but that context was different because they were trying to build some muscle, and naturally they were configuring their nutrition and recovery around that goal. I just know that I've had mixed to poor results whenever I've tried to do too much at once, but that's me in my context, and maybe I'm an unsuitable sample.

tl;dr: do what you want! Just don't get hurt.

2 hours ago, Treva said:

I have totally missed the joke about snap city.

Snap City is a weightlifter's joke for lifting more weight than the body can handle. You go to lift and all of a sudden, "snap snap!" go the ligaments.

Some gallows humor from the gym, but hey, if all you're gonna do is hang out, then might as well get a laugh. :D

2 hours ago, Treva said:

But you make a really good point, and there's an easy way to restructure my strength training so I'm not coupling up my S&S with my other strength training.

I mean. It's a good academic point. You do you.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, it's... complicated. S&S isn't really like most other kinds of training. It's not dedicated to making you sweat or even necessarily making you work hard. It falls under a different paradigm of training known as "anti-glycolytic training," which means it's based around a lot of submaximal lifting with plenty of recovery. Because it's not trying to kill you, you can do it every day, and that's where the recommendation comes from.

*heavy calming breathing*

So I did look into this anti glycolytic training business, and the short, gentle version is: I found the one paper they cited and it doesn't support the physiology they discuss.   Furthermore, it's an old paper and we have some newer data on HIIT training.   I'm worried the paper they cited is confounded by the beneficial effects of cross training, which I don't feel were adequately corrected for in the experimental model they used.  

Basically, yes!  it's HIIT training.  But the way they're talking about energy in the body is not the way the physiology actually works, and isn't supported by the overwhelming amount of data I found.  So the HIIT's right, just everything else is...confused.  I can go into the hairy details, but god it's going to require the metabolism map and that's a lot. 

TL;DR They do not explain it correctly, therefore the terminology is inadequate at best.  I am so mad.  So, so mad

Image result for screaming gif

Anyways!  To the wonderful body-affirming points you made!

I think the most important takeaway, based on what you're saying, is to not overwork the muscles past the point where they can recover in 24 hours.  There was another paper I read about HIIT (which seems similar to S&S) vs more "endurance" or longer lighter training, and basically both confer similar benefits.  but yes!  listen to the body and figure out what my muscles can recover from, and what can't they recover from, and maybe the longer lower impact training suggested in the 2020 paper I found on Crossfit is more of what I need, instead of having the energy to do HIIT.

In other news, now I'm down the DOMS and recovery rabbit hole and I like it down here.

I have looked at barre exercises.  I am not a fan of the physics on the joints and how it affects alignment/ligaments.  *sinks into Orthobullets and never ever leaves*.  

In other news, I did lung physio today!  Exciting!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

2 hours ago, Treva said:

*heavy calming breathing*

So I did look into this anti glycolytic training business, and the short, gentle version is: I found the one paper they cited and it doesn't support the physiology they discuss.   Furthermore, it's an old paper and we have some newer data on HIIT training.   I'm worried the paper they cited is confounded by the beneficial effects of cross training, which I don't feel were adequately corrected for in the experimental model they used.  

Basically, yes!  it's HIIT training.  But the way they're talking about energy in the body is not the way the physiology actually works, and isn't supported by the overwhelming amount of data I found.  So the HIIT's right, just everything else is...confused.  I can go into the hairy details, but god it's going to require the metabolism map and that's a lot. 

TL;DR They do not explain it correctly, therefore the terminology is inadequate at best.  I am so mad.  So, so mad

Image result for screaming gif

Oh, no! Sorry about that. :( I know that they tend to lean on a lot of old, old research, but I wasn't aware that the body of knowledge had advanced to that degree. I did not mean to point you toward something that would make you mad.

I guess I'm also really naive about it in that my experience of this training - even if it is HIIT - is very different compared to other HIIT training I've done. Like the programming is set up in such a way that, rather than drive me into the ground, it insists on rest and quality sets. So, I guess I was willing to trust it based on how different it felt and how well-prepared it's left me feeling for life in general. Which... I dunno, maybe the new research says things about that? I'll have to look into it at some point. But either way, you're the doctor between the two of us, so I will trust your training over mine. :)

2 hours ago, Treva said:

I think the most important takeaway, based on what you're saying, is to not overwork the muscles past the point where they can recover in 24 hours.  There was another paper I read about HIIT (which seems similar to S&S) vs more "endurance" or longer lighter training, and basically both confer similar benefits.  but yes!  listen to the body and figure out what my muscles can recover from, and what can't they recover from, and maybe the longer lower impact training suggested in the 2020 paper I found on Crossfit is more of what I need, instead of having the energy to do HIIT.

Basically, yeah. Training is working out for adaptations. Recovery is when you get those adaptations. If you work out beyond your ability to recover, you interfere with your adaptations, and this is Not Ideal to my understanding.

Anyway! I hope that you get to feeling better soon!

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Oh, no! Sorry about that. :( I know that they tend to lean on a lot of old, old research, but I wasn't aware that the body of knowledge had advanced to that degree. I did not mean to point you toward something that would make you mad.

I guess I'm also really naive about it in that my experience of this training - even if it is HIIT - is very different compared to other HIIT training I've done. Like the programming is set up in such a way that, rather than drive me into the ground, it insists on rest and quality sets. So, I guess I was willing to trust it based on how different it felt and how well-prepared it's left me feeling for life in general. Which... I dunno, maybe the new research says things about that? I'll have to look into it at some point. But either way, you're the doctor between the two of us, so I will trust your training over mine. :)

Not at all!  Good mad!  Fun mad!  Hence the adam driver gif.

Yeah it's super cool that we have advanced some body knowledge!  I think relying on the Old principles is nice, but I think I get miffed when the data gets obscured.  I just got so sad when someone on a forum was trying to figure out how to make their mitochondria strong, and didn't understand what had been said by some of the people explaining the method.   The papers they cite came out in around 2005-2010's, and the newer data is from 2013 and beyond.  The problem with metabolism is that we're working against unsupported theories from the 50's and 60's.  I certainly didn't find everything on the subject. 

It's not naivete in the slightest, it's literally doctoral level biochemistry and lack of research on every little specific training program.  I think from a physio perspective it's similar to HIIT in the concept of high activity with rest periods, which is how some other papers I found described the same beneficial results.  And I agree that it is a great program, and would 100% use it.  For me, I think it's a great way to do compound movements with good cardio. And I felt better prepared for life too.  

Hey, as you so elegantly put it, everyone has a different situation.  My training just means I know what the funky words mean.  And probably other things.   You have a lot more experience doing different kinds of physical training than I do, and you know what's worked for you and what doesn't, and that is So Heckin Valid.  I have clearly learned from reading your blog, and from advice you've given me. I read into this because you suggested it, and you wouldn't do a thing unless it made sense to you; therefore I take it seriously and make sure I understand it too.   You have brought good fitness advice to me without needing the heavy science.  Full stop.  

43 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Basically, yeah. Training is working out for adaptations. Recovery is when you get those adaptations. If you work out beyond your ability to recover, you interfere with your adaptations, and this is Not Ideal to my understanding.

Anyway! I hope that you get to feeling better soon!

I am figuring out that S&S PLUS cardio PLUS heavy weights is probably what pushed me beyond any ability to recover.  No amount of carb loading can fix this.  I may have tried the carb loading.  Anecdotal evidence confirms Not Ideal.  However Cake Still Yum.  

I tried barre and my knees died, so I think that's the only thing I need to recover from.  I'm sorry I made you think anything of what you said was problematic!! Only people who misinform the general public about biochemistry (probably through no fault of their own) are mildly problematic. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

If you enjoy reading about exercise physiology, you might like Stronger By Science. It is basically a scientific review done by a couple of PhD kinesthesiologists who are into strength training. They have a podcast that I enjoy listening to.

18 hours ago, Treva said:

I am figuring out that S&S PLUS cardio PLUS heavy weights is probably what pushed me beyond any ability to recover.  No amount of carb loading can fix this.  I may have tried the carb loading.  Anecdotal evidence confirms Not Ideal.  However Cake Still Yum.  

I love this. 😍

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 2/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Mistr said:

If you enjoy reading about exercise physiology, you might like Stronger By Science. It is basically a scientific review done by a couple of PhD kinesthesiologists who are into strength training. They have a podcast that I enjoy listening to.

Thanks!  I'll give it a try!

Ok, today seems like a good day for a summary

image.png.db01fb600fcc74af3bda0cea17ed6049.png

I still have some practicing to do, and I have been slacking on journaling.  But!  I am still keeping up with my hydration, and started some flashcards to help me learn the new things I want to learn.   I am figuring I need some kind of schedule or plan to approach what I "should" learn.  I think it will be things I learned for work, but also things I find in a review book and journal papers.  

Body: Barre did not work out this week.  But that's ok!  As above, have been trying to figure out the best way to optimize weight loss.  Things I realized this week

• Weight loss will be easier with more vegetables and sleep
  • sleep is a priority
  • being flexible about when I work out is important.
  • There are ways to be healthy at work, even on 28 hour calls, by prepping dinners the night before and prepackaged healthy meals (microwavable meals, popcorn)

Brain: Slacking on journaling and meditation, but I think once I am off vacation that will be easier with more alone time. 

• I will need a plan for my flashcards.   Specifically, what information do I need to learn, and how do I find out what I don't know.
  • I am still hydrating well
  • The amount of practice and music study time I need to be happy will amount to a part time job.  This would explain why I have been miserable.
  • I have reviewed some of my evals, and have been pleased to find the majority are overwhelmingly positive.  It makes me feel better, and I also feel like I have a better sense of perspective.  
  • I also want to learn italian, and get better with my spanish.  I need to download duolingo

Spirit: I think I can be more intentional in this area.  I might add a few quests in the upcoming weeks.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

since it's me and I'm back from vacation, obviously the update is late and I got very heckin sidetracked.

image.png.960ca5aef73f24576e9f57af95c6a5a4.png

Monday was a travel day, and Friday/Saturday got unexpectedly sidetracked by the human.  

Body: I am hanging in there and very glad to be back with my bike and my weights.  I've escalated S&S to swings with the 25lber, which has been smooth.  I am finding working out at home, I can usually get it all done in 50 minutes.  That may or may not be sustainable once I hit q4 28s, but we'll see.

Brain: I have been doing a LOT of paper reading since I am working on getting a few publications out.  Flashcards are happening, albeit slowly, and I came up with a study schedule for the next rotation I am on.  I did not do as well today with some admissions.

Spirit: hahahahah so I baked yesterday, but taking care of myself in this respect took a back seat with all the papers I am doing.  

Looking ahead to this week: I've planned out my studying and workouts, even though all I want to do is go back on vacation, hide in a hole, and never do medicine again.  I should maybe bake today or tomorrow morning to help myself feel better.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

My sympathy on the post-vacation blues. You are doing something really hard. No wonder you want to hide and never go back.

I recommend playing music to feel better. It fits your weight-loss goals better than baking. I say this knowing that I am planning on making cookies this evening. ;)

You have a good plan for taking care of yourself and doing all the things. Trust yourself and give yourself as much slack as you can.

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Hey, ebb and flow, right? We aren't the kinds of machines that are designed to just do the same processes day in and day out. We're variable, and we need to be treated as such. Nothing wrong with doing what you gotta do to take care of yourself, and you're in the best position of all of us to know what that is.

Post-vacation blues are real. I hope you're extra kind to yourself as things adjust back to the grind.

• Like 1
On 3/1/2021 at 6:11 PM, Mistr said:

My sympathy on the post-vacation blues. You are doing something really hard. No wonder you want to hide and never go back.

I recommend playing music to feel better. It fits your weight-loss goals better than baking. I say this knowing that I am planning on making cookies this evening. ;)

You have a good plan for taking care of yourself and doing all the things. Trust yourself and give yourself as much slack as you can.

That does make sense.  I started off with doing extra music, especially at the hospital, and that seemed to go well.

But!  I also ended up baking, and gave away more than half of what I made to my co-residents, which they greatly appreciated.  I'm lucky to have such nice friends to eat all the things I make.

Thank you about the reminders for giving the self some slack.  The self has needed to be given some slack on mistakes this week.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, Kishi said:

Hey, ebb and flow, right? We aren't the kinds of machines that are designed to just do the same processes day in and day out. We're variable, and we need to be treated as such. Nothing wrong with doing what you gotta do to take care of yourself, and you're in the best position of all of us to know what that is.

Post-vacation blues are real. I hope you're extra kind to yourself as things adjust back to the grind.

Post vacation blues are very real.  It has certainly been a challenge adjusting back.  All I want is to sleep and do nothing, but there has been a lot of research work to do.

I hope things ebb a little bit more in the future.  Right now there's a lot of flow and work outside of work; which is fine, I just wish it hadn't happened all at once.

image.png.6c58deb190b7ece92c20d21232d4c8d4.png

Body: I got sidetracked this weekend on exercising, but am looking forward to getting back on track today.  My weigh in shows I'm still getting closer to my goal weight. 

Brain: I have been having to push on the research front pretty heavily.  I need to remind myself to meditate and stretch after my cardio, and not rush things.

Spirit: I've been still baking, but it's bread, or pizza, or stuff I'm giving away.  So not so bad.  

In big news I submitted one of my first publications yesterday, so that's pretty exciting.  I have a lot more research to crank through.  It's important to me to get things balanced.

Midway ish lookback

Self care every day is important for me.  I am also respecting that it may look different every day.  If I were to logic this, I would say sleeping and eating are things that need to happen every day.  In order for those things to happen, I need exercise and music practice to help me sleep well and keep me from getting too sad to eat.  I am starting to do the same thing I did with chores, where I pick a self care item to do every day.  In addition to fold laundry, I also have quick pedicure, or face mask on my to do list; things I used to put off as weekend luxuries are now anytime minivacations.

Keeping myself from being too sad to function is important.

I did not go to a tox session because my research got away from me.  I made friands instead of religieuse and gave them away.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log