268A3151-405E-4F5E-98EA-B52F8CFE3C8A.thumb.jpeg.065bb3e69cf675ca8a4a85cd120ea097.jpeg

As you know if you’ve been following the Tales of Owlshire, that—quite unexpectedly—I was asked to take on a full time, ~6 month narrative designer contract in January. Although I’d hadn’t been actively pursuing a return to the working world right now, this is career direction I had been hoping to go someday so we seized on the opportunity to make it work. It has rather shaken up our 2021 plans at Owlshire, but as we like to say in the House of Owlshire “a plan is just a place in which manage change.” 

In any case, now that I’m navigating full time employment for the first time since I became a mother and trying to continue developing Owlshire, I’m keeping it simple for this challenge:

Storyteller

Kick ass at my job. This is Living the Dream and I don’t want to wake up.

• 1XP per “Deep Work” (focused and undistracted) hour logged. The view is that it’s hard to sustain more than 4 hours of this on average so that makes a natural “cap.”  (And somedays I need to do more fragmented, distracting work than others anyway.)

Keeper of the Flame

At least one Owlshire green or restoration activity a week. 

• 5XP for the first one per week
  • 3XP for each that follows

Multi-activity tasks I’d like to conclude in this challenge:

• Plant seeds to start in the conservatory
  • Ready the (reduced) vegetable garden for planting
  • Sow early seeds into the garden.
  • Help get all of the trees and berry bushes in (Mr is mostly doing this, but there are ways I can enable him)

Map the Leylines

Use regular walks and other exercises to:

• Walk at least 4+ miles a day.
  • Build and maintain my PAI goal (10+ points a day until I get to 100 average, then maintain that average.)
  • 1XP for each, 3 for the day if I make a combo.

No XP cap on any of these goals—they’re focused in on my main priorities.  I think this may be the first challenge in which Enting doesn’t play a big role, since he’s now in full time nursery school. One of those big changes from starting work!

I’ll continue to aim for 200XP (total of 400XP) to get to level 3, if I’m getting close halfway by Week 3 (keeping in mind I start challenges in Week Zero), I will raise it.

PS: Don’t worry, there will still be photos of Owlshire! We’re transitioning into spring and how can I not take a million pictures of that?!

• Like 12

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Congratulations on the big career milestone! :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Rock on. I’m here for it all and I’m excited gor you!

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

7 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Thank you! It’s exciting and a bit scary! 

If it wasn't a little bit scary, there'd be no real bragging rights when you slay the dragons and triumph over the challenges. :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Congratulations on the new job!

I can't wait to see Owlshire budding and blooming. 

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Yesterday, I was taking my post-lunch walk and feeling a lot of gratitude that we’ve moved to the Forest where I can put on my boots, go out the front door, and under a minute be in places like these

6208743D-94F3-4521-975B-7AB88CAF7A01.thumb.jpeg.85b0036d4e07ab57dd38f3fbd8123752.jpeg

ED848B34-3E19-480F-8A34-F65C547B3CB9.thumb.jpeg.f696a1de5d3a05793e8e99edba194588.jpeg

21B40B72-6E03-4E85-A6C8-8C461EE6694E.thumb.jpeg.de3306eed75605e28f9068550d71b054.jpeg

2A5BDBF1-3DF8-4F29-A8AE-1AFF67D21080.thumb.jpeg.6251ec62cf089beb92800fb67b13c3ab.jpeg

As a note, I’m going to change how I keep track of my Storyteller goal. Even yesterday I was working hard and still couldn’t really decide if what I was doing “counted” and that means I need to define it better. I’ve been tracking Deep Work hours on my pinboard in my office, and I’m going to use that as my metric instead. 1XP for each hour of Deep Work done.

Deep Work is as defined in the book of the same name: “Professional activity performed in a state of distraction-free concentration that push your cognitive capabilities to their limit.” 

• Like 9

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

On 2/8/2021 at 8:13 AM, Ann of Owlshire said:

I was asked to take on a full time, ~6 month narrative designer contract in January.

I missed this, that's wonderful news! Really happy for you :) 

And I will be following along (not just for pictures, but they are a wonderful bonus!)

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

6 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

As a note, I’m going to change how I keep track of my Storyteller goal. Even yesterday I was working hard and still couldn’t really decide if what I was doing “counted” and that means I need to define it better. I’ve been tracking Deep Work hours on my pinboard in my office, and I’m going to use that as my metric instead. 1XP for each hour of Deep Work done.

Deep Work is as defined in the book of the same name: “Professional activity performed in a state of distraction-free concentration that push your cognitive capabilities to their limit.” 

This is why I get up early when working from home. When I engage in Deep Work, I can usually finish an entire day’s worth of work before I wake up.  

Also, one of these days (like around release?) will you be able to direct us to the title of the game so we may procure it?

• Like 3

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

9 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

This is why I get up early when working from home. When I engage in Deep Work, I can usually finish an entire day’s worth of work before I wake up.  

The notion of actually doing this is horrifying to me in so many ways 😛 

• Haha 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

15 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Also, one of these days (like around release?) will you be able to direct us to the title of the game so we may procure it?

Yes, at my last Office Job (which was writing SEO content for customer websites), I came in at 6AM, focused, and usually had my work done by 9AM when most of my colleagues stumbled in. Granted, then I had to sit around at my desk the rest of my shift, but hey. I wrote a lot of storylines for my MMO RPG guild back then.... (the few months I was able to work from home were AWESOME).  I can’t quite do the early hours or race at that speed at the moment, but my bosses mostly leave me to do my thing and most of the people I deal with are in SE Asia and so disappear around my lunch time. My UK-based boss is very good about scheduling meetings with me at least a day in advance.

My only enemy is myself ;)

When the game comes out, I will probably agree to PM people the title. My RL identity is kind of a non-secret, but I don’t want it directly searchable to anything that isn’t my professional name ;)

• Like 5

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

9 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I can’t quite do the early hours or race at that speed at the moment, but my bosses mostly leave me to do my thing and most of the people I deal with are in SE Asia and so disappear around my lunch time. My UK-based boss is very good about scheduling meetings with me at least a day in advance.

One of the real benefits I have discovered of working from home is that no one cares what I do  with my downtime, or how much of it I have, as long as the work gets done on time.

I am in the lovely position of being in the western part of the USA, and working with in time zones that are spaced just far enough apart that the only overlap when we can have team meetings for all of us, is between 1:00 and 7:00 in the morning in my time zone. Since I am the opposite of a morning person, this is... not pleasant. Even less so since I was added to a series of project meetings that take place at or after 17:00 in the evenings of (of course!) the days when I have my early meetings... blergh.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

51 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

One of the real benefits I have discovered of working from home is that no one cares what I do  with my downtime, or how much of it I have, as long as the work gets done on time.

It’s true!  However the project was already pushing timescale when I was brought on, so  I’ve got to make use of all my available working time as I’m trying to get narrative back up to speed (and hopefully, at some point, ahead).  Plus, hey, it’s fun. I don’t mind working on it all day! 

My sympathies to the night owl! I’m a morning lark, but getting the household ready for their various jobs/school cuts a couple of hours into the morning before I could reasonably start working without a lot of domestic interruptions.

• Like 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

19 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

My sympathies to the night owl! I’m a morning lark, but getting the household ready for their various jobs/school cuts a couple of hours into the morning before I could reasonably start working without a lot of domestic interruptions.

I am one of those fortunate WFH adults who live without children (four-legged drama-babies do not count, despite what they seem to think) which I have learned dramatically reduces the amount of distractions I have to deal with while working out of the guest bedroom every day.  :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

12 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

am one of those fortunate WFH adults who live without children (four-legged drama-babies do not count, despite what they seem to think) which I have learned dramatically reduces the amount of distractions I have to deal with while working out of the guest bedroom every day.  :) 

I mean, once he’s at nursery I’m pretty distraction free but it takes a bit to get to that point. I think I currently have it easier than my neighbors who are having to homeschool their 10-12 year olds again while doing their day jobs, too.  (Nurseries (daycare in American) are open in the UK, but primary-secondary schools are homeschool right now.) 

• Like 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

36 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Oh golly. Before MY FAMILY wakes up. 

35 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

When the game comes out, I will probably agree to PM people the title. My RL identity is kind of a non-secret, but I don’t want it directly searchable to anything that isn’t my professional name ;)

I totally get it. I’m in a similar boat. My kids think it’s super cool that I’m friends online with a “game designer.”

16 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Absolutely. I’m not really a morning person but my work is so much easier uninterrupted. Think of my as a night owl who also has special nap abilities. Also the system is less bogged down, and with 3-4 kids focus is a lot harder. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

35 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I totally get it. I’m in a similar boat. My kids think it’s super cool that I’m friends online with a “game designer.”

16 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Absolutely. I’m not really a morning person but my work is so much easier uninterrupted. Think of my as a night owl who also has special nap abilities. Also the system is less bogged down, and with 3-4 kids focus is a lot harder. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Because of logistical issues (re: toddler with Lockdown-triggered sleep problems), this is sadly not possible at this time. Maybe someday I can get up before dawn and have a bit of time to myself before the household wakes. But that time is not right now XD 

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Deep Work is a habit I need to constantly retrain. With ADHD, I can certainly do it, but doing it on command is difficult. You've reminded me that it's probably time for a review.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Deep Work is a habit I need to constantly retrain. With ADHD, I can certainly do it, but doing it on command is difficult. You've reminded me that it's probably time for a review.

Yes, it’s a bit like a muscle as the saying goes. Whenever I start a writing project (or a similar effort) after a lengthy break I revisit the book and remind myself of how to Go Deep. 

(edited to remove photos that inserted themselves from another reply I was doing)

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Photos from today’s walk (I won’t post photos every day, but I’ve been getting some good ones the past couple)

5D1027F7-7C59-49C7-B5A1-FBB124D60EF3.thumb.jpeg.102d5f05d8bff8861406ae0d27a26256.jpeg

F748D724-ABFC-41E6-BFF5-94EE9A3D3966.thumb.jpeg.ac76f8ed033651eb653fbda5235d57e3.jpeg

These are views from the top of a very steep field climb. @oromendur might remember it as the one that almost defeated me when I had a 15kg child on my back (and had been carrying him for at least an hour prior).  It’s still a workout, but much easier without the wiggly ruck ;)

FBE48EEC-41B6-4F94-8093-219B81D9535A.thumb.jpeg.4b61426b4836ff14238c882d2410cb1b.jpeg

This is our “pet” pheasant. He has, over the last couple of months gone from being daily out in our front pasture, to venturing into the garden and hanging out there while we worked, and more recently hangs out on our patio.  He will investigate offerings, and lets us get within a couple of meters. 

• Like 12

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

5 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Because of logistical issues (re: toddler with Lockdown-triggered sleep problems), this is sadly not possible at this time. Maybe someday I can get up before dawn and have a bit of time to myself before the household wakes. But that time is not right now XD 

To be fair, I do not do this now that I’m on leave.

You live in a beautiful place. 

• Like 1

Spoiler