Hello all. I started the Couch to 5k programme in June 2020 and was able to run 5k 3 times a week in November. However, I am regularly experiencing hip flexor pain after runs now (especially after doing a 10k).

I can't tell exactly where it is but my guess is the iliacus or pectineus. I have new running shoes with good support, I stretch my hips twice daily and I do bodyweight workouts every other day but the pain still happens.

I thought that this was perhaps due to my running form but I've looked at several YouTube videos now and follow the form as best I can (back straight, try to hit the middle of foot when striking, look ahead into the distance, keep core tight, etc.)

I'm kind of at a loss where to go from here. Maybe I just wasn't meant to be a runner (I am clocking in at 96kg so maybe I'm just too heavy?). Would appreciate any advice from seasoned runners.

52 minutes ago, Roadblock said:

Hello all. I started the Couch to 5k programme in June 2020 and was able to run 5k 3 times a week in November. However, I am regularly experiencing hip flexor pain after runs now (especially after doing a 10k).

I can't tell exactly where it is but my guess is the iliacus or pectineus. I have new running shoes with good support, I stretch my hips twice daily and I do bodyweight workouts every other day but the pain still happens.

I thought that this was perhaps due to my running form but I've looked at several YouTube videos now and follow the form as best I can (back straight, try to hit the middle of foot when striking, look ahead into the distance, keep core tight, etc.)

I'm kind of at a loss where to go from here. Maybe I just wasn't meant to be a runner (I am clocking in at 96kg so maybe I'm just too heavy?). Would appreciate any advice from seasoned runners.

First off here is a running form guide I wrote you can  check yourself against. https://missionstuffs.blogspot.com/2018/01/heel-strike-its-not-just-for-discipline.html

Next thing I would do is go to a running store for a basic gait/pronation analysis.  New running shoes can help or hurt depending if they are proper for your pronation.

Next, are you exercising? Running needs strength training. You will hurt yourself if you don't.

No, you are NOT too heavy! I ran the 2017 Kentucky Derby Marathon at 96kg

Start with that stuff

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Thanks for the link! Will check it out.

I want to go to my local running store, Natterjack, but they don't seem to be open because of the pandemic. As soon as they open though I'm in!

In terms of strength training I'm doing bodyweight squats and lunches, plus gluteal bridges.

I hope I can run a marathon one day!