Daily small tasks are better than doing them all at once

During the last challenge I noticed that I crammed all the reps towards the weekend. I was doing multiple 10km+ rucks back to back which I noticed took a toll on my feet health once Monday came around. Just as well on the weekends I was pushing out 150+ pushups per day. Thus this challenge is all about doing the absolute minimum every single day!

Everyday the goal is to achieve:

• 1 pull-up ( I don't have a pull-up bar, so get to look for one of those out in public)
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 ab exercises, ideally dead hang knee raise, but sit-ups/leg raises also work
  • 10 air squats
  • 60 seconds squat holds, it is harder than perceived
  • 1 mile ruck, which fits well with finding a place to do a pull-up

For each failed exercise, 5 times the amount needs to be done as a payout. Not getting the ruck miles in nor the pull-ups will probably be the harder achievements, because I physically have to leave the house. In worst case I will have to 30 ruck miles and 30 pull-ups on Sundays.

As a secondary goal:

• at least achieve 25 ruck clicks
  • ideally 50 ruck clicks

*1 click = 1km

Starting with the challenge on 8. Feb, 2021.

• Like 1
On 2/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, LIGHTH0USE said:

During the last challenge I noticed that I crammed all the reps towards the weekend. I was doing multiple 10km+ rucks back to back which I noticed took a toll on my feet health once Monday came around. Just as well on the weekends I was pushing out 150+ pushups per day. Thus this challenge is all about doing the absolute minimum every single day!

Everyday the goal is to achieve:

• 1 pull-up ( I don't have a pull-up bar, so get to look for one of those out in public)
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 ab exercises, ideally dead hang knee raise, but sit-ups/leg raises also work
  • 10 air squats
  • 60 seconds squat holds, it is harder than perceived
  • 1 mile ruck, which fits well with finding a place to do a pull-up

For each failed exercise, 5 times the amount needs to be done as a payout. Not getting the ruck miles in nor the pull-ups will probably be the harder achievements, because I physically have to leave the house. In worst case I will have to 30 ruck miles and 30 pull-ups on Sundays.

As a secondary goal:

• at least achieve 25 ruck clicks
  • ideally 50 ruck clicks

*1 click = 1km

Starting with the challenge on 8. Feb, 2021.

Solid goals! So, is the air squats hold like normal squats but you hold it for 60secs/1 min? 

Your payout concept reminds me of a Super Spartan Race I did once with a bunch of friends. Not doing the obstacles would mean penalty of 10 burpees. One of the obstacle was to jump from a 40-ft ledge down to a swimming pool below. Naturally, with your shoes and backpack on (you cannot really leave them behind). Ruchik could not swim and had a fear of heights. When it was his turn, he would move forward on the ledge, look down, shake his head, and ask the next person to go ahead. He kept doing that and we eventually started chanting go Ruchik, go Ruchik, go Ruchik. And all the other participants followed chanting too as he was holding up the line.  So, he was the only one left in our group that has not jumped. We waved at him and waited from the pool below. The race did have divers sitting on surfboards floating in the pool ready to help participants if needed. He did jump and successfully survived. The 10 burpees penalty was not an option because he would have to backtrack a long ways to get around the pool obstacle. 

Interestingly, I pass by at least 2 playgrounds in my run/walk in the greenway. Now that you mentioned it, I believe there is a way to do a pull-up/hang, I just never thought about it. I should check it out.

Good luck on your challenge!

• Wow 2
On 2/10/2021 at 6:21 PM, darna said:

Solid goals! So, is the air squats hold like normal squats but you hold it for 60secs/1 min? 

Your payout concept reminds me of a Super Spartan Race I did once with a bunch of friends. Not doing the obstacles would mean penalty of 10 burpees. One of the obstacle was to jump from a 40-ft ledge down to a swimming pool below. Naturally, with your shoes and backpack on (you cannot really leave them behind). Ruchik could not swim and had a fear of heights. When it was his turn, he would move forward on the ledge, look down, shake his head, and ask the next person to go ahead. He kept doing that and we eventually started chanting go Ruchik, go Ruchik, go Ruchik. And all the other participants followed chanting too as he was holding up the line.  So, he was the only one left in our group that has not jumped. We waved at him and waited from the pool below. The race did have divers sitting on surfboards floating in the pool ready to help participants if needed. He did jump and successfully survived. The 10 burpees penalty was not an option because he would have to backtrack a long ways to get around the pool obstacle. 

Interestingly, I pass by at least 2 playgrounds in my run/walk in the greenway. Now that you mentioned it, I believe there is a way to do a pull-up/hang, I just never thought about it. I should check it out.

Good luck on your challenge!

Awesome story!

Back when I did Spartan Races, I always did 30 burpees, though it sounds like they decreased it?

Yes just hold the normal squat without weight at the bottom position when your legs are at about 90°. It is surprisingly harder than it seems like...

Playgrounds are great for adults as well! If you are creative, anything can be part of an exercise routine. E.g. on a merry-go-round, you could put legs up on it and get into a push-up position. As a beginner just walking around like that on your arms, or an advanced option is to do a push-up and then move one step.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 2:59 PM, Manarelle said:

How did the past week go? Were you able to get your reps in evenly spaced throughout the week?

From the past weeks I have realized that it is quite hard to get the external exercises in daily and that one forgets quite quickly how many reps one has done daily or if one has achieved the targeted goal.

CW06: missed one day and payed out on the weekend

CW07: missed three days and the payout I was getting in, in the last seconds of the day or week

CW08: been doing so many reps in all categories that I didn't even bother to check if I got the dailys in; first week that I broke a total of 50 clicks

Found a hack where I can do all the goals in one session for two days. By doing the activities shortly before midnight and ending it after midnight. This ain't ideal but gets the job done.

CW09: took a bunch of rest days due to the 4x4x48 challenge on the weekend, which cleared me of all ruck miles, since a total of 48 miles were achieved.

CW10: first couple of days of the week were recovery days, towards the weekend it was payout time for the exercises I missed in the past days/week.

Current progress:

Pull-ups: 31/50

Push-ups: 100/550

Squats: 250/550

Squat holds: 2/55

Sit-ups: 140/500

Ruck miles: 100%

That concludes that week CW11 will be a lot of catching up to do and hopefully not add additional reps.

• Like 1