fleaball : human disaster™

On 2/11/2021 at 11:14 PM, fleaball said:

I have no fucking clue what I do lol. My usual MO is open the app, go "hmm, this one sounds interesting" and just run with it. Once upon a time I was using Headspace on a daily basis for months and I think that was all mindfulness meditation? And on Insight Timer I really don't have a plan right now, kinda just working on the habit and then I'll figure out what to do from there I guess?

I get seeking until you find one that fits. I just use the timer function, with a bunch of different time amounts depending on how much time I have, though occasionally I think about a guided meditation.

• Like 1

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

It's too bad you can't take a phone in there with you and give us live updates while you're in there, or at least use it to surf the interwebs and stay entertained. I am so curious about the whole process. Also, best of luck and all that, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't need to pee!

• Like 1

LMFAO kill me “so when we spoke on the phone you said blah blah no symptoms no metal, no tattoos-“ apparently it’s okay since they’re so old but what the fuck are the odds. Ugh. 

replies later bc now I’m anxious sorry

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

“Please arrive 30 minutes early.” I did, and I’ve been sitting in the waiting room for 20 so far. I’m kinda pissed about it. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

34 minutes ago, fleaball said:

no tattoos

??? I've had four MRI's and they never told me that...kind of important since with the first I already had over 10

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I survived!

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

28 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I survived!

Huzzah!

So I take it that it is safe to assume that your tattoo didn't get magnetically removed? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

Yep, all my ink is still right where it belongs. I wanted to ask the guys doing the scans what the deal was with tattoos, but I didn’t get a chance. Still bitter about that one though because that was definitely not in the screening questions when they scheduled me, and also here I am being mad at myself for worrying about something absurd and then it actually turns out to be half true? 

huh. I googled it because the only thing I could think of was the contrast not liking tattoos or something. Nope. Apparently there’s a very small chance that iron oxide in the ink could get heated up by the magnets and cause burns and other irritation. That’s interesting. Google also tells me mythbusters covered MRIs vs tattoos but I couldn’t get into that show so I’m not going to bother looking for it. Anyway. If @RES hasn’t had an issue yet I think I’m safe if I ever need another one :D 

I am exhausted af and I already know I’m not going to have any fucking spoons for the next like two days. I was anxious as hell all day today not about the scan itself but just the anticipation of it and the unknown-ness. I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest in the waiting room. (Fun fact I learned from a meditation thing: breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 7, breathe out for 8, and repeat will interrupt panic mode. That came in handy.) And then as soon as they called me in I was fucking fine. The anxiety wasn’t even because I didn’t know what to expect (thanks yall) - it was *just* the anticipation. Sitting around all day waiting to leave, sitting in the waiting room, not knowing how long it would take or if i would have to pee seven times. Stupid anxiety. But yeah, zero spoons left now. Which is awesome because I have a grocery order to put together and my list of things to talk about in therapy this week is rough stuff, not happy fluffy things. Gonna be a great day. Also I wanted to go to bed an hour ago but my brother has been in the bathroom this whole time so now I’m just sitting here getting stabbed by a cat who just finished off his dinner and wants more. 

6 hours ago, Mahalak said:

I get seeking until you find one that fits. I just use the timer function, with a bunch of different time amounts depending on how much time I have, though occasionally I think about a guided meditation.

yeah I’m still newish to it all. Once I find a groove I might do it on my own. I do something use breathing techniques and visualizations if I’m stressed or trying to fall asleep, but “sit there and meditate” is not a thing yet. 

6 hours ago, Owlet said:

It's too bad you can't take a phone in there with you and give us live updates while you're in there, or at least use it to surf the interwebs and stay entertained. I am so curious about the whole process. Also, best of luck and all that, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't need to pee!

Dude you fucking know I would too lol. The actual process was boring and not stressful though so I don’t think updates would have been super fun. I did not need to pee during it! Between the two the guy asked if I wanted to and I rolled my eyes internally because of course that was something I’d been worried about and I did not, in fact, have to pee even though I had the opportunity. Rawr. 

• Like 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hurr durr. Working on grocery order and one of the banners on the homepage says “find seafood and plant-based items for meatless Fridays.” I’m like, isn’t it meatless mondays? Took a minute but I realized Lent starts today and Catholics aren’t supposed to eat meat on Fridays until Easter. If my mother were alive my brother and I would both be getting bacon cheeseburgers just to piss her  off, but that’s another story. But hey if my vegan shit will be on sale for the next six weeks, I’m all for it. 

okay. Bathroom is free now. Time to brush my teeth and then wrestle my covers out from under Fat Kitty. 

• Like 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

9 hours ago, fleaball said:

Google also tells me mythbusters covered MRIs vs tattoos but I couldn’t get into that show so I’m not going to bother looking for it.

!!! You're the only other person I know of to admit they don't like Mythbusters. 

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

If my mother were alive my brother and I would both be getting bacon cheeseburgers just to piss her  off, but that’s another story.

That sounds like a delightful tradition!

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

That sounds like a delightful tradition!

One could conceive of carrying on the tradition by leaving a bacon cheeseburger on the tombstone every Friday of Lent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Highlight from therapy today:

- oh man I have coffee but I haven’t been drinking it because I’m dumb. 
- um, can we rephrase that? Maybe “I’m in therapy and distracted so I forgot about my coffee”? 
- okay. But it’s still dumb. 
- 😒

back to bed now idc what time it is

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

So the results are available online and it’s a lot of medical bullshit I don’t understand saying this is normal, that is normal. And then there’s “there is a suspected fenestration of the proximal basilar artery” which google tells me is a rare developmental defect, in addition to having some kind of relationship to ischemic strokes and can lead to “the most devastating strokes” and locked-in syndrome as a result. So that’s absolutely fucking awesome. Doesn’t indicate that I’ve actually had a TIA or anything so idk what to do with this. 

• Wow 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

8 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Is there some kind of follow up appointment to talk about and explain the results to you?

I don’t think they usually do that. I did send my doctor a message and asked what to do about it. We’ll see what happens.

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

I don’t think they usually do that. I did send my doctor a message and asked what to do about it. We’ll see what happens.

Yeah good idea, no doubt talking to your doctor will be less alarming than talking to google. Fingers crossed you hear back soon!

• Like 2

okay I should correct myself. The report starts with "there is no evidence of [anything, basically]." Lots of medical words. So it looks like they found nothing related to the ER visit. I noticed that part and then got sidetracked by the crazy whatever the fuck thing they found. Which was part of the overall rundown of the structure of the brain. 

2 hours ago, Owlet said:

Yeah good idea, no doubt talking to your doctor will be less alarming than talking to google. Fingers crossed you hear back soon!

Yeah for sure. Like, I can understand a reasonable amount of non-jargony medical stuff, but it's been 15 years since my last anatomy class (which was basic high school level anyway) so I have no idea what all these science words mean lol. Most of what I was finding about this issue seemed to be journal articles about particular cases. So what I'm guessing now is that maybe it doesn't pose a risk in and of itself, but if something gets fucked in that location it will suck worse than usual? Idk. I'm halfway guessing my doctor will just tell me to wait til our appointment on March 9 and she'll go over it then. Which will be annoying af. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

okay fml. as of 24 hours ago there was nothing wrong in my brain other than this artery which is currently just not what it's supposed to be. but now I have a headache (because I am tired and haven't eaten enough today or had enough water, all due to being tired) and I'm like "oh god I'm dying."

no. stop it. eat your goddamn salad, drink some water, go to bed early. wake up tomorrow and do healthy things, the end. 

bah. 45 minutes from now I'm eligible to schedule my first vaccine appointment but my dumb ass now wants to wait and ask my doctor if it will be okay. why the fuck would it not. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

9 minutes ago, fleaball said:

bah. 45 minutes from now I'm eligible to schedule my first vaccine appointment but my dumb ass now wants to wait and ask my doctor if it will be okay. why the fuck would it not. 

That's so exciting!!! Vaccines for everyone!

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

5 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

That's so exciting!!! Vaccines for everyone!

hell yeah! 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

also I'm pretty sure no one here needs to be told this, but don't smoke through your fucking pregnancy. seriously. honestly if this thing is as rare as the internet tells me it's probably not related, but that doesn't make me any less pissed about it. 

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

One could conceive of carrying on the tradition by leaving a bacon cheeseburger on the tombstone every Friday of Lent.

I would never disrespect a bacon cheeseburger like that. 

12 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

!!! You're the only other person I know of to admit they don't like Mythbusters. 

lol same

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv.

The following is what I have puzzled out from information online and from experience with my mothers TIAs and my own experience as X-ray tech.

TIAs can cause brain damage, maybe. Apparently there is a little bit of debate about that. If there is damage to the brain, specifically if any parts of the brain have died due to lack of blood flow (ischemic stroke) the damage can be seen on an MRI. If the radiologist didn’t mention it, it wasn’t there.

I found images of arterial fenestration, really cool. Basically, the artery is in two  pieces running parallel to each other instead of one piece. I looked for images but am not tech savvy enough to post them. Like, if the artery is a pencil, in fenestration there would be two pencils side by side, maybe with little blood vessels connecting the two. The ischemic stroke evidence so far is correlation, as far as I can figure out, causation has not been proved.

No news is good news. I am sure if there was something seriously wrong, they would be calling you and discussing things right away.

And I would expect the doctor to go over all your test results with you at an appointment.

Again I am not a doctor, only an X-ray tech. 

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, Emma said:

Not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv.

The following is what I have puzzled out from information online and from experience with my mothers TIAs and my own experience as X-ray tech.

TIAs can cause brain damage, maybe. Apparently there is a little bit of debate about that. If there is damage to the brain, specifically if any parts of the brain have died due to lack of blood flow (ischemic stroke) the damage can be seen on an MRI. If the radiologist didn’t mention it, it wasn’t there.

I found images of arterial fenestration, really cool. Basically, the artery is in two  pieces running parallel to each other instead of one piece. I looked for images but am not tech savvy enough to post them. Like, if the artery is a pencil, in fenestration there would be two pencils side by side, maybe with little blood vessels connecting the two. The ischemic stroke evidence so far is correlation, as far as I can figure out, causation has not been proved.

No news is good news. I am sure if there was something seriously wrong, they would be calling you and discussing things right away.

And I would expect the doctor to go over all your test results with you at an appointment.

Again I am not a doctor, only an X-ray tech. 

I saw some photos while googling and it was basically light up spaghetti to me lol but I understand what you’re saying. 

thank you for point out the correlation bit! Fingers crossed it’s not a causal relationship and I avoid the actual cause. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

As I understand it the difference between a TIA and a stroke is whether or not evidence of damage can be found on the MRI. That's just what I've picked up by osmosis working on Neuro floors in hospitals.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Drive by post because I’m in the middle of meatspace things but I just got interrupted by the genetic counselor who called with my results. 

i tested negative for  E V E R Y T H I N G

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi