TrashcanCarla Builds Integrity

Hey, everyone. I was thinking about what kind of fun little continuation of my Trashcan Carla story that I could do for this challenge, but I haven't had enough coffee and just want to get the bones of the challenge down. I'll come back to this.

===

I know that 5 habits being worked on simultaneously may seem excessive, but it is very important that I make progress with all of these things for my physical and mental health. I will be lenient with myself if I don't do all of these things every day, of course.

Objective: Get started establishing positive habits in self care, fitness, home finance and creativity. Tame my stress eating.

Motivation: I am really feeling the pandemic fatigue, particularly as a first-time mom of a one year old whose husband works a six hour drive away during the work week. I need to focus on taking better care of myself and that starts with paying more attention to my self care and finding ways to reduce my stress that are well within my control.

1.    Stress Eating Pause Button –  Habit: Pause for 5 minutes before eating or drinking any foods that are high in fat or sugar and by so doing, avoid stress eating. +2 points for every day of no stress eating
2.    HIIT with kettlebells, shadow boxing or jogging – Habit: Keep heart rate up with intense exercise (70% of max heart rate to max) for at least 20 15 total minutes a day, five out of seven days. +1 point for every day
3.    Home Finance – Habit: Review spending against our budget every day. +1 points for every day

4.    Creativity, Writing or Art – Habit: Spend at least 25 10 minutes writing or drawing, using the Pomodoro timer to stay focused. +1 point for every day of writing or making art

5.    Habit Stack Self Care – Habit: When my son takes his first nap of the day OR whenever I can find a little uninterrupted quiet time meditate+brief yoga sequence+free time. +2 points for every day of self care

Experience Points Level Up Scheme:
165-187 points || Increase 1 level
188-212 points || Increase 2 levels
213+ points || Increase 3 levels

• Like 1

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

So, I'll ramble a bit more about this in my battle log, but for now let me say that week zero is a bit challenging. My husband (as I've probably mentioned here or elsewhere a million times) is out of town during the weeknights, and my tolerance for having no backup during COVID is thin.

everyday amy poehler GIF

Basically, my exercise and self-care is not happening which simply means that I need to be flexible and recognize that when my son's schedule gets disrupted because his favorite human is out of town that I need to find new ways to fit in my self-care.

Starting today, I'm gonna get creative. My plan?

1. Get up at 5:30am while the babe is still sleeping and do my meditate+yoga+free time habit stack THEN.
  2. Eat dinner early at 5pm-5:30pm so that if an opportunity to exercise pops up during Odin's before bed playtime or after he's been put in his crib, that I have no excuse not to get my sweat on*.
  3. After babe is asleep (dreaming about his eight legged horse, most likely) and after I've snuck in the workout, take 10+ minutes to be creative*. Basically, whatever time I can grab to doodle a mermaid or write about part of a college girl's soul getting stuck in a cursed mirror left behind in her new dorm room** or whatever.

*I have edited my challenge to be a little less strict with times and such, considering my personal life challenges of the moment.

**I don't know where that idea for a short fic came from, but I think it could also make a fun short film? I'll drink more coffee and brainstorm some notes.

leslie knope women entrepreneurs GIF

• Like 1

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Odin? That's a fantastic name. I have a friend who named her kids after goddesses. One of them was named (back in about 2005) Isis. It's not such a popular name these days for some reason. 

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Sorry, that was inexcusable 

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Howdy, y'all!

I was radio silent yesterday because I was enjoying the last day of the weekend with my fam. Mr. Trashcan is heading down to Los Angeles County today for the work week and will be away from us until late Friday evening, so it's going to just be me and my little man Odin. Odin, by the way, continues to make me very proud as he has such a flexible palate. Yesterday, I introduced him to broccoli and salmon. He was a HUGE fan.

I earned +2xp for my efforts yesterday. I did budgeting and got creative, which is all good.

This week, I hope to improve on establishing my habits. I am getting better at pausing before I make poor eating decisions, which is a start.

Ciao!

• Like 1

Hey Following along.  Sounds like you have your challenge set out well.

I remember those days with a little one and the husband out of town - it's bloody hard work.  I really like the idea of eating early so that you can make better use of the evening.  I always had a rule, once kids are in bed it's ME time.  I don't care if the house looks like a bomb went off I get to sit down and relax - usually do some knitting (or whatever my creativity choice of the day was)  whilst veging out in front of the TV .  I definitely felt like that helped me stay sane!

good luck!

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

2 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hey! :) I finally made it over here. Where are those watercolours girl? I hope you are having a self-care, creative, not too stressful time ❤️ 

I'm doing okay! Thanks for stopping by. I have just been doing some watercolor doodling in bits of time that I can scrape together. It really does help. Below are the two I did on Sunday and Monday. I hung them on my son's nursery wall, because why not? Also there's the one I did yesterday. Just added that one. Anyway, I am trying to overcome maladaptive perfectionism in my creative output, you see.

Spoiler

Mf3UvCT.jpg

Spoiler

LLq5CQ7.jpg?1

vMULXIX.jpg?1

+++

Update: I earned another +8xp between Monday and Tuesday, which brings my total up to 10xp. I still haven't done my HIIT workouts (zero for three, right now). Sigh. The good news is that I did manage to pull off my meditation+yoga+free time habit stack yesterday. It felt good. Today will be a challenging day for building my habits as it is going to be non-stop busy and Odin is a bit unpredictable, the little scamp.

Ooh! Another bit of news - I haven't mentioned it, but I am going to try a different kind of therapy to help with my chronic PTSD. I have been doing cognitive behavioral therapy fairly consistently for years, but I think that talk therapy has taken me as far as I am ready to go without reopening those trauma wounds (okay that sounds kind of grisly, but it feels grisly - trust me). I'm going to try EMDR, which if you aren't familiar, basically is a way of "rewiring" how your brain reacts when you think of your trauma event(s). It has been recommended to me several times over the years. I'm excited to try something different. I am coordinating with a therapist to begin in March. Wish me luck.

Here's the plan for today:

- hide the rest of the chocolate chip cookies that I made yesterday evening

- update and review purchases and budget before baby wakes up (probably any moment now)

- 15m HIIT in the form of boxing workout before I leave with Odi to go on some adventures (aka pick up groceries, pick up more babyproofing stuff, pick up 70s arabesque dining chairs to refinish/reupholster, baby lunch break in a park, meet with cousin to social distance hike - WHEW!)

- meditate+yoga+free time this afternoon/early evening when Odi takes his pre-dinner nap

- stay up for a bit after Odin goes to sleep and write down the rest of the notes for the screenplay I'm working on

• Like 1

Hi TCC, it sounds like you had a real full day there. How did it go? And how's it been going since? 

The pictures are amazing: really colourful and distinctive. 

I've never heard of EMDR, but it sounds like it would be worth a try if you feel like you've reached the end of CBT's usefulness to you. March, you said, right? Good luck. I hope it goes well. 

It's just occurred to me to wonder if Trashcan Carla is mother of the Garbage Pail Kids. Are you? I need to know. 

Hi again! 

Things are a little quiet around here. I hope you haven't been kidnapped by supermutants. And if you have, just say the word and I'll be round there with my power armour and General Chao's Revenge in a jiffy. 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:44 PM, 18ck said:

Hi again! 

Things are a little quiet around here. I hope you haven't been kidnapped by supermutants. And if you have, just say the word and I'll be round there with my power armour and General Chao's Revenge in a jiffy. 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:37 PM, 18ck said:

Hi TCC, it sounds like you had a real full day there. How did it go? And how's it been going since? 

The pictures are amazing: really colourful and distinctive. 

I've never heard of EMDR, but it sounds like it would be worth a try if you feel like you've reached the end of CBT's usefulness to you. March, you said, right? Good luck. I hope it goes well. 

It's just occurred to me to wonder if Trashcan Carla is mother of the Garbage Pail Kids. Are you? I need to know. 

It seems that I got kidnapped by my supermutant tendency to turn to food, drink and binge watches of Star Trek, rather than actual supermutants. I basically spent the time since my last post fretting about my husband being gone for 10 full days while I took care of a very needy (amazing!) infant and drowning my sorrows in fast food and ice cream. Also, I pulled some muscles in my lower back and BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Basically, I went into a downward spiral of excuse making and food fueled self-pity.

I'm back now.

I did manage to paint this thing in acrylics despite my general laziness.

Spoiler

q2iU5KH.jpeg

+++

I've earned +24xp in all of the time since I last logged in! Not bad, actually, considering that I was the human equivalent of Donald Trump that whole time (minus the tweets). That brings me to 34xp!

Forget the xp for now.

Today's plan: eat vegetables in any amount, drink 96 ounces of water, attempt one workout video.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

Basically, I went into a downward spiral of excuse making and food fueled self-pity.

I'm back now.

That's OK, we all have cycles like that. Welcome back. 

I like the pic. It looks like a bird we have in the UK which we call a "great tit" (with all the obvious lame 1970s joke potential that entails) but I don't think you have those in Roseville CA do you? The birds I mean not the... Woah, my 1970s upbringing almost got the better of me there, but what I'm driving as it, what kind of bird is that? 

How did yesterday's plan go? Did you do all the things? 

• Like 1

Love the paintings! The bird is amazing. Give me more!!! MOARRRRR lol speaking of art I saw 2 artists on my recommended list on Instagram and I thought they were more fantasy related. Check out @juneleeloo and @anniestegg ... That Annie persons art is beautiful! 

I have heard of EDMR when I was researching sports psychology. It wasn't something I thought was relevant to me since my fear isn't trauma based but it definitely sounded neat! I hope it has some positive effects on you. 

How are you feeling today?

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 3/6/2021 at 1:14 AM, 18ck said:

That's OK, we all have cycles like that. Welcome back. 

I like the pic. It looks like a bird we have in the UK which we call a "great tit" (with all the obvious lame 1970s joke potential that entails) but I don't think you have those in Roseville CA do you? The birds I mean not the... Woah, my 1970s upbringing almost got the better of me there, but what I'm driving as it, what kind of bird is that? 

How did yesterday's plan go? Did you do all the things? 

It is indeed a tit! *looks embarrassed*

Sigh. I don't think I'll ever be too old for lame jokes. No, we don't have any in the Sacramento area. We have some cool birdies over here, but I'm not a wildlife photographer. I found a photo from the Natural History Museum in the UK (I think? maybe I have the name wrong) and used it as a reference.

I did not, sadly, do all of the things, but I did learn something. I learned that I need to stop demanding so much immediate action from myself when I've been a slug for ages. I've since committed to focusing on drinking water and simply increasing my walks with my little guy. Everything else will follow, soon enough. I just need to score some wins in terms of consistency before I start getting all Rocky 2 training montage-y.

On 3/6/2021 at 5:57 AM, Rookie said:

I have heard of EDMR when I was researching sports psychology. It wasn't something I thought was relevant to me since my fear isn't trauma based but it definitely sounded neat! I hope it has some positive effects on you.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm doing better, actually, and am going to focus on churning out some more art stuff to hang on our gloomy walls. Truly gloomy. The weather's been overcast which has amplified the gloom in here. HELP!

As far as EMDR goes, I have heard great things regarding trauma memories. I hope it'll help, but I'll have to delay until my husband's Southern California project is completed. It's not the kind of therapy one can accomplish while an infant babbles at you in the background, I don't think.

+++

I don't know about how many points I've gained in the last few days, but I can say that I very much enjoyed my husband being home for a few days! He's my best friend for life, and it's great to have him around to complain to, to smile with and watch shitty movies together. This weekend's shit movie was Warcraft, which was surprisingly directed by Duncan Jones. It wasn't absolutely awful, but it wasn't great. Thankfully, I took one of my 1:1 CBD / THC gummies beforehand. A weekend treat!

The Breakfast Club Weed GIF

I am eating better, for sure, and am definitely more energetic than I have been. I feel like my mindset is getting more positive, which is certainly helpful. Today's reasonable goal? I aim to paint something a bit more abstract to hang on our wall, to drink at least 3 water bottles of water (96 ounces) and to take my little guy for a walk in a new spot. A bonus would be to do some exer-dancing a la Just Dance but I am not going to demand that of myself.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see more art! 😊 It's been a mix of kind of gloomy and very windy here but the weather has been so nice 😍 we hit 20C yesterday! I even shaved the small horse and have her a bath and put the big horse out without a blanket... but the weekend is going back to -8-10C. 😭 I'm not ready to give up my warm weather lol

Definitely agree you probably should wait until the hubby can help with the little one before you get the EDMR therapy lol 

I still need to pull mine out my Just Dance .... One day lol

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

OK, well I'm pleased that my bird-recognition skills came through. We get great tits nesting in our bird house some years. They are nice little chaps. The squirrels steal their food though. Little furry bastids. 

The plan to cut back and make achievable goals seems sensible. Do keep the Just Dance option in mind. It's a lot of fun 🕺💃

• Like 2

I can't tell uou how many shit jokes I got half way through typing there before thinking better of it and self-censoring. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So I'm doing way better this week than I was the last month or so. I absolutely am feeling better about where I am at with my healthy journey, even though I spent some time knocking myself back a few steps.

My husband and I are going to spend way too much money on a delivered prepared healthy meal service to cover us for the next two to three months, so that we can retrain ourselves to enjoy, crave and be satiated by healthy food. It'll be worth it to dole out twice the cost of our usual grocery bill just to get into a healthier mindset.

ART! or maybe n'ART*?

My very good friend from the women's college that I went to in Massachussetts - the very one I'm creating this new piece for - who refers to crappy art as n'art. It's a conjunction of "not art." She's a closet goth, like myself, hence the memento mori theme.

Spoiler

8QkWWcm.jpg?1

9tMgpRx.jpg?1

Basically, this is the beginning of a template for a linocut that I'm going to make so that I can make a linocut art print for my friend who is going through a major life upheaval at the moment.

+++

Things I've been great at over the last few days: not eating a bunch of takeout food, de-stressing, being creative (yay!) and releasing pent-up frustration.

Things I'll work on tomorrow: More sweating to the oldies! (or Just Dance works, too)

Ciao for now!

On 3/14/2021 at 3:44 AM, TrashcanCarla said:

I absolutely am feeling better about where I am at with my healthy journey

Yesss! 

delivered prepared healthy meal service

Ooh, OK, is that a meal-kit job (we've recently tried Hello Fresh and I can see the attraction) or actual ready-cooked meals? 

sweating to the oldies! (or Just Dance works, too)

Well now, you know how o feel about this 

Seo Yes GIF by maddyshine

She's a closet goth, like myself, hence the memento mori theme

I never really had the bone structure or the patience to be a goth, but that reminds me of my favourite ever t-shirt so I like it. 

• Like 1