[Mad Hatter] Firestarter

32 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that I've been binge watching so much How I Met Your Mother I'm now taking advice from fictional characters.

Barney-D-barney-stinson-23610995-500-199

You could do worse than Neil Patrick Harris for life advice (even if it is NPH playing a raging tool).

32 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I do like the transparency, but it's also a bit of effort to type up, so we'll see if I'll keep it. :) 

Faaaair point. Pretty soon "type up yesterday's plan" becomes its own checkbox, and that's not a fun place to be.

• Like 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

On 2/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, Mad Hatter said:
  • Make a plan for the day each morning, ideally one movement and at least one productive thing. This is not about adulting, it's about making it interesting and/or fun! (Though adulting still sadly needs to happen.)
  • Follow said plan...
  • Profit?
  • Jk. 
  • But really, try to at least start the things on the plan. No pressure to finish.
  • Do some kind of self care each day - journaling, mindful breathing, rolling around on the floor, listening to music. Anything that forces a time out for my brain.
  • Tidy up for one song each day
  • Go outside while it's still light

I need a doing-things coach. I'm adopting you.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Neon pink makeup is underrated. 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

22 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Hi and following! ☺️

Sounds like an overall positive day. Especially a bakery visit involving nutella and a friend!

Yay!

You really can't go wrong with pastries and friends. 😄

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

You could do worse than Neil Patrick Harris for life advice (even if it is NPH playing a raging tool).

Faaaair point. Pretty soon "type up yesterday's plan" becomes its own checkbox, and that's not a fun place to be.

Fun fact - I was once at a party which had all the fun Dr Horrible props, like the giant chair and lab toys! 😄 I think it was filmed there too.

My new experimental strategy is to change strategy as soon as it's not working, so my goals and write up might change every week. 😛 

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I need a doing-things coach. I'm adopting you.

TOO MUCH PRESSURE. It's only been one day of some semblance of productivity. 😅 Also I'm taking loads of inspiration from you, just so you know!

14 hours ago, tei_ said:

Neon pink makeup! Actually doing work! Sounds like a great day! \o/

🎉

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Neon pink makeup is underrated. 

It really is! The only thing is that I couldn't remove it quite completely afterwards, I don't think I've ever had that happen with eye shadow. But it was very fun to play with, I love the whole palette!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

My new experimental strategy is to change strategy as soon as it's not working, so my goals and write up might change every week. 😛

Charlie Brown Dance GIF

Aw yeah!

wile e coyote scare GIF by Looney Tunes

This is you sneaking up on your boredom before it happens!

pynk dancing GIF by Janelle Monáe

• Haha 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Climbing today was so much fun! I had a bit toooo much energy though, and climbed really powerfully (and carelessly) as a result. Which caused me to poop out annoyingly quickly. I wanted to climb MOAR but my body was not having any of it haha. I did however finish my blue project from last time, despite using entirely different beta and cutting feet for no good reason. Funnn sesh! And I'm finally finding my climbing groove again. Hopefully my strength will catch up soon too.

Attempted plan vs actual day:

Finish book - was reading "When Breath Becomes Air" and it's really beautiful.

Make a plan + coffee and breakfast (so happy when I remembered my banana bread!)

Work, I only started at 11:30 because I was purposefully reading slowly, but I got in a solid few hours. 😮

Return book to the library

Work some more (was running way late)

3 pm meeting

Art if have time => ☑️ I was sooo cold for some reason and didn't want to sit down. Instead I put on all the layers including my dino onesie and did some house cleaning to get moving, while still answering work chats.

6 pm climbing

Eat

Think about weekly plan - too tired for that now, need to shower and wind down

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It really is! The only thing is that I couldn't remove it quite completely afterwards, I don't think I've ever had that happen with eye shadow. But it was very fun to play with, I love the whole palette!

Bright blue or red eyeshadows are the ones that are the biggest pain to remove for me , though a double cleanse with a capable oil cleanser makes it significantly easier.

Though personally, my biggest frustration with brightly colored eyeshadows (including the neon ones, of course), is washing the pigment out of my white or pale cream brush bristles. Good grief does that take forever!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Climbing today was so much fun! I had a bit toooo much energy though, and climbed really powerfully (and carelessly) as a result. Which caused me to poop out annoyingly quickly. I wanted to climb MOAR but my body was not having any of it haha. I did however finish my blue project from last time, despite using entirely different beta and cutting feet for no good reason. Funnn sesh! And I'm finally finding my climbing groove again. Hopefully my strength will catch up soon too.

This sounds wonderful!

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Bright blue or red eyeshadows are the ones that are the biggest pain to remove for me , though a double cleanse with a capable oil cleanser makes it significantly easier.

Though personally, my biggest frustration with brightly colored eyeshadows (including the neon ones, of course), is washing the pigment out of my white or pale cream brush bristles. Good grief does that take forever!

Confession time: I only have one brush (that I like using). Luckily it's dark so you can't see the pigment. 😉 That's what happens when you only put on makeup once every six months or so. 😛  

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

This sounds wonderful!

It is! Though my butt doesn't agree today. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yessss. Function follows form sometimes. 😉

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Confession time: I only have one brush (that I like using). Luckily it's dark so you can't see the pigment. 😉 That's what happens when you only put on makeup once every six months or so. 😛  

I definitely blinked when she mentioned washing brushes. I cannot remember the last time I washed any of mine, ahahah.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Oooh I love everything I’m reading re: climbing excitement!

Yeah, feels like my head's really getting back in the game now. 😄

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I definitely blinked when she mentioned washing brushes. I cannot remember the last time I washed any of mine, ahahah.

So I've heard. 😄 

Pffft hygiene, who needs that. 😛 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Apparently, it's easier to remember to wash your brushes when you only use them for dance competitions! I'm pretty in the habit of washing mine.

For me washing brushes falls right in the "will do at some point, i.e. never" category haha. When I did my makeup more often I solved the issue through moar brushes. 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, raptron said:

Um.... some of these go around my eyes. The thought of not washing them regularly is genuinely nauseating to me.

41 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Apparently, it's easier to remember to wash your brushes when you only use them for dance competitions! I'm pretty in the habit of washing mine.

Also more important,if you keep them stored away somewhere between infrequent uses, at least from a bacteria growth perspective. And clean brushes are so much easier to use anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I'm the worst employee and took a... ummm... let's call it mental health day. Preventative mental health day. Ok I just really, really couldn't face work today and I didn't want to ruin my good mood.

Instead I had a lovely lazy day! Ooh and I picked up a pen again! 😮 🎉 At first it was really difficult because I couldn't sit still on my chair and it's kinda hard to draw while chair "dancing". I made one purposefully ugly doodle in my new notebook, which means I now don't have to worry about ruining it. 😆 I also tried to do a study but it proved pretty tricky. For one thing I don't understand digital brushes. Or analog brushes. So I have no idea how to make the same strokes as the artist. But it was a really enjoyable color study nonetheless. Most importantly, I now remember why I like this so much!

Attempted plan vs actual day:

☑️ Breakfast + coffee + NF somehow took hours. I don't understand how this happens, it's not like my replies took very long to write. Time is a mystery.

☑️ Final load of laundry - counting down my neglected chores list!

☑️ Took a walk across the ice. 😍 It was ridiculously sunny and bright.

☑️ Hung out at a coffee shop.

Make a plan - finally, at like 3 pm

Art for real => ☑️ I got hungry and got sushi and groceries

Eat

Dance or pole flooow. Or handstands! Or backbends! - Yeah I got a bit excited when I made the "plan". => ☑️ Rested in bed because I was tired and cold...

☑️ Ate cocoa puffs for dinner

Check out Steam sale =>  Art!

Figure out some kind of art project(s)  => ☑️ Don't want to do that right now, but I think I might do some wind down stretching instead before bed.

And this my friends is why I'm terrible at planning. 😂

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm the worst employee and took a... ummm... let's call it mental health day. Preventative mental health day. Ok I just really, really couldn't face work today and I didn't want to ruin my good mood.

Pre-emptive mental health days are perfectly legitimate and in the big scheme of things actually increase employee productivity, to say nothing of the positive impact on morale. 

I applaud your wise decision to not attempt to face work if you really couldn't. :)

☑️ Breakfast + coffee + NF somehow took hours. I don't understand how this happens, it's not like my replies took very long to write. Time is a mystery.

☑️ Final load of laundry - counting down my neglected chores list!

☑️ Took a walk across the ice. 😍 It was ridiculously sunny and bright.

☑️ Hung out at a coffee shop.

Make a plan - finally, at like 3 pm

Art for real => ☑️ I got hungry and got sushi and groceries

Eat

Dance or pole flooow. Or handstands! Or backbends! - Yeah I got a bit excited when I made the "plan". => ☑️ Rested in bed because I was tired and cold...

☑️ Ate cocoa puffs for dinner

Check out Steam sale =>  Art!

Figure out some kind of art project(s)  => ☑️ Don't want to do that right now, but I think I might do some wind down stretching instead before bed.

And this my friends is why I'm terrible at planning. 😂

I disagree.

Terrible planning implies something poorly structured or vastly unrealistic, and nothing about your plan is either of those things.

Yes, it could be seen as poor planning to start the planning stage several hours after you started implementing the plan, but that could also simply mean that the first part was so straightforward you didn't need to sit down and think about how to organize it before actually doing it.

If everyone was judged on how well they were able to adhere to their plans, we would all be failures of substantial suckitude. One of the very few things all plans have in common is that they really don't survive their first contact with reality. Because reality throws unexpected variables at us, that we didn't account for when we made the plan, and we adjust the plan and keep going.

It's similar to holding a yoga pose for 90 seconds. Success is not defined as "getting into the pose and standing 100% completely motionless for 90 seconds". Success is to "stay in the pose regardless of how many little adjustments you need to make in order to stay balanced and avoid falling over". Being lose and adaptable is the key.

You are not terrible at planning. Alternatively, if you are, so is everyone else as well.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

18 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Terrible planning implies something poorly structured or vastly unrealistic, and nothing about your plan is either of those things.

Right now I'm trying very hard to make them realistic and not overdo it. I have made plenty of plans that when I tallied up the hours it was 4x what my body could handle. 😄 

20 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yes, it could be seen as poor planning to start the planning stage several hours after you started implementing the plan, but that could also simply mean that the first part was so straightforward you didn't need to sit down and think about how to organize it before actually doing it.

It could mean that. But what actually happened was that I was too preoccupied by ??? to even start planning. 😛 

21 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

If everyone was judged on how well they were able to adhere to their plans, we would all be failures of substantial suckitude. One of the very few things all plans have in common is that they really don't survive their first contact with reality. Because reality throws unexpected variables at us, that we didn't account for when we made the plan, and we adjust the plan and keep going.

My biggest issue, I think, is that things that are important very easily get pushed aside because of said unexpected variables.

26 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

You are not terrible at planning. Alternatively, if you are, so is everyone else as well.

Maybe the plan was fine, once I made it. But I still only managed to tick off one real item - to eat food. Everything else I did when I felt like it, because I felt like it. 😉

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I applaud your wise decision to not attempt to face work if you really couldn't. :)

I mean, I probably could if I forced myself. But I really, really, really didn't want to. But let's ignore that - it's much better when you call it wisdom. 😆 

No you know what, I shouldn't be so flippant about it. You're completely right. Just because my mood's is on a big upswing right now, it's only been a few weeks since I was really, really down and I need to remember that. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

My biggest issue, I think, is that things that are important very easily get pushed aside because of said unexpected variables.

Maybe the plan was fine, once I made it. But I still only managed to tick off one real item - to eat food. Everything else I did when I felt like it, because I felt like it. 😉

I think maybe you use "planning" in a broader sense than I do. To me, what you're talking about here is about priorities and implementation, not planning. To me, planning is the abstract preparations you do before implementing the plan, and while prioritization is a part of that, priorities are fluid and subject to change as new information comes to light. New information includes, but is not limited to, for example discovering that I'm far too low energy for a full lifting workout, so I change the plan and do the Lazy Bear instead. 

27 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

No you know what, I shouldn't be so flippant about it. You're completely right. Just because my mood's is on a big upswing right now, it's only been a few weeks since I was really, really down and I need to remember that. 

And while you remember, you might also want to take a moment to recognize that you're actually still in the process of recovering from a very deep low. To actively make a decision to support the recovery process is a good thing, and something you should be happy about. Active recovery is a good thing, after all. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

220px-Firestarterposter84.jpg

Ooo! A bad Stephen King adaptation starring Drew Barrymore! I might have to track this one down.

Following!

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Instead I had a lovely lazy day! Ooh and I picked up a pen again! 😮 🎉 At first it was really difficult because I couldn't sit still on my chair and it's kinda hard to draw while chair "dancing". I made one purposefully ugly doodle in my new notebook, which means I now don't have to worry about ruining it. 😆

A most cunning strategy!

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also tried to do a study but it proved pretty tricky. For one thing I don't understand digital brushes. Or analog brushes. So I have no idea how to make the same strokes as the artist. But it was a really enjoyable color study nonetheless. Most importantly, I now remember why I like this so much!

What programme are you using, and what are you studying?

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes. ❤️

PS ‐ Did  you just make another step different than your usual loop 🤩 I think so. 

🦄

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log