Everstorm Picks Stuff Up and Puts Stuff Down

On 2/15/2021 at 10:49 PM, Everstorm said:

Zero week summary:

Pick stuff up 2/2

Put stuff down 4/4

In short, I crushed it.

Looking good

On 2/15/2021 at 10:49 PM, Everstorm said:

All the workout talk made me feel like Wednesday was too long to wait to hit the gym, so I did a bonus workout today.  I deloaded all the exercises and slowed down the eccentric, so both easier and more challenging.  I wanted to keep the form of a back squat on my box squats without the weight of the bar, so I used a broomstick 😆.   Now I am tired and hungry.  Must be time for dinner....

Yessss bonus lifting!

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Where has the time gone?

Wasn't really feeling my workout on Wednesday,  but I got it done anyway. Deadlifts, push-ups, horizontal rows.

I have gotten in 2 sugar free days this week, so need to have a strict weekend to meet my goal.

I am feeling a little run-down.   Mr E and I had a good talk last night about managing my stress, which reminded me how important the outdoor time is to my mental health.  We seem to be having a particularly wet winter, so I haven't made it out into the woods as much as I would luck.  (The poison ivy infestation doesn't help, either).  In any case, I bundled up and went for a walk in the near-freezing rain this afternoon.   It really did perk me up.  I can't wait for spring.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Good job getting the workout done. I'm glad to hear you made it outside. Yeah, the fresh air and greenery makes a difference, doesn't it. 

Good luck on your sugarless weekend. What have you got planned? 

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:12 AM, 18ck said:

Good luck on your sugarless weekend. What have you got planned? 

Lots of homework, unfortunately.   My professors like to assume that their class is not only the only class I am taking, but also the only thing I have to do with my life.  So the weekly assignment list tends to look like: read 50-100 pages worth of scholarly articles/text, review 3 websites, take a quiz, submit a project/paper, coordinate with group members, and participate in vigorous online debate.  And then I have to do all of that again for the next class.  It's nicer this semester with only 2 classes instead of 3, but still...it piles up quickly.

It actually didn't rain this weekend, which is shocking.  On Saturday, I took a stroll through the park with the family before knocking out my weight training workout, then hitting the books.  The workout felt like a Goldilocks experiment: pull-ups were too hard, squats were too easy, and push-ups were about right.  Debating whether too easy on the squats (felt like sitting down and standing up again, although I don't actually sit) means I can increase something a bit (either weight or depth) or if I should hang out here a little longer for the sake of my knees.

The no-sugar weekend has been a success, assuming I survive the remainder of the evening.  There was a narrow brush this morning when I had some internal debate about whether raspberry jam constituted a violation or no.  It is 12g of sugar technically, but only 9g are added sugars, so....  I ultimately decided not to split hairs and passed on the jam.  (And asked my husband to pick up some preserves with less sugar for future use).

I am noticing that I am starting to enjoy tartness again, like I did when I used to eat Paleo-ish.  Purely sweet things seem either cloying or boring.  When I go for dessert on sweet days, I am happier with raspberry and rhubarb and dark chocolate treats over ice cream and donuts.  This change seems promising.  I also notice the sweetness in other foods more, like roasted asparagus.  I am curious to see where this goes.  I like to write these little observations down to remind myself of feeling that way (that ice cream was disappointing and the frozen chocolate covered raspberries were better).  I am largely a creature of habit, so my first instinct is reach for the cookies, even if I don't enjoy them as much as I think I will.

I would like to spend this next week really thinking about my sweet choices on the sweet days.  I have noticed a trend of choosing lots of sweets on those days out of a sort of "better eat it while it's allowed" desperation rather than actually wanting that thing.  I am not restricting sweets on those days (yet), but I do want to make sure I am only eating what I really want, not just because I can can can.

Spoiler

Week 1 summary

Pick stuff up: 3/2 (bonus points!)

Put stuff down: 4/4

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I have found when I eat less sweets, that veggies taste much sweeter. And overall, I can just taste more flavors in foods.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

31 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I have found when I eat less sweets, that veggies taste much sweeter. And overall, I can just taste more flavors in foods.

Hi Elastigirl!   Long time no see!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 2/21/2021 at 11:11 PM, Everstorm said:

Lots of homework, unfortunately. 

Oof, yeah, that does sound like a lot. Remind me what you're studying again because I have the memory of a goldfish. It must take a lot of discipline to fit in along with everything else but well done for making it work. 

I can relate to your battles against sugar. I have a very sweet tooth so I recognise a lot of what you describe about how your appetites change when your taste buds aren't overloaded with sugar constantly. Weaning ourselves off it really is like withdrawing from a drug in that regard at least (although I have heard some very exaggerated rants along those lines so I wouldn't want to overstate it) 

With your knee, do you do any sort of warm-up for it to loosen things up a bit and increase your range of movement before you start? And does that make a difference? 

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

16 hours ago, 18ck said:

Remind me what you're studying again because I have the memory of a goldfish

I am in my second year of graduate studies in Library and Information Science.  I should receive my Master's degree next spring.

16 hours ago, 18ck said:

With your knee, do you do any sort of warm-up for it to loosen things up a bit and increase your range of movement before you start? And does that make a difference? 

My lower body warm-up consists of a short walk to get the blood flowing, some "stripper squats" (holding onto the post of the squat rack to get full depth squats at some fraction of my bodyweight), and some sort of rotating maneuvers in a full ass-to-grass squat position to loosen up the ankles.  It does seem to make a difference, which may be why squats feel so much easier (and also discovering how wide I need to set my feet).  I am sure I could do more, but I don't know what else exactly to do to prepare the knees.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

36 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Library and Information Science

Something about this collection of words make me want to rush outside and hug the internet. 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

Not the people on the internet. Ew.

😛 

• Haha 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

On 2/24/2021 at 11:28 PM, Everstorm said:

Lifting happened today.  Strawberry Rhubarb Pie also happened.  What can I say?

Well, I can't judge you with brownie crumbs round my mouth. 

On 2/23/2021 at 11:03 PM, Everstorm said:

I am sure I could do more, but I don't know what else exactly to do to prepare the knees.

Yeah, knees are weird. I always find the thing that helps me most is to loosen up my hips though, because if I don't do that then my legs don't move in quite the way I would want to, and my knees usually take the pressure as a result. Obviously everyone's different, but maybe something like that is worth considering if you are feeling like your knees are twisting or turning in as you squat and that that's not helping. 

On 2/23/2021 at 11:03 PM, Everstorm said:

stripper squats

Giggling childishly at this name. 

Hey there! How's it been going on the last few days? 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:03 PM, Everstorm said:

My lower body warm-up consists of a short walk to get the blood flowing, some "stripper squats" (holding onto the post of the squat rack to get full depth squats at some fraction of my bodyweight), and some sort of rotating maneuvers in a full ass-to-grass squat position to loosen up the ankles.  It does seem to make a difference, which may be why squats feel so much easier (and also discovering how wide I need to set my feet).  I am sure I could do more, but I don't know what else exactly to do to prepare the knees.

One thing I like to so before squatting is banded body weight squats or banded monster walks to really wake up the glutes. There are plenty of glute activation drills, like donkey kicks, if you don't have access to bands, but I really like banded exercises because I feel like I need the resistance to really feel it properly. Then I sort of prime the motion by doing light weight goblet squats and holding the bottom position for a few seconds (you could do this during your ass to grass 'stripper' squats too, and I often do it holding the frame of the rack as well. My ankle mobility prevents me from sitting in a full squat without a counterweight or something to hold onto). This lets me feel if I've got any tight spots I might want to work on a bit more before I get down to business. I always make sure to focus on keeping my knees out during the whole movement, and find these two things in particular to help prime that for me.

Regarding someone else's suggestion about talking to a trainer, I second that. The best thing I ever did was work out with a coach who knew his stuff. It's challenging during these times, but you may be able to find a trainer who's willing to view some videos and give you pointers from there. It's not ideal, but might be enough to help you figure out your sticking points.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Just popping in to say that the past week has been 100% fail.  Eating all the sweets, doing none of the workouts.  School has me stressed out to the max and the dreaded plantar fasciitis issue has reappeared from my past, making me need to reconsider my workouts (again), which I have neither the time nor the mental capacity to do at present.  I greatly appreciate everyone who has been popping in to check on me, and I will try to respond to everyone after this weekend crunch time is over.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

13 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Just popping in to say that the past week has been 100% fail.  Eating all the sweets, doing none of the workouts.  School has me stressed out to the max and the dreaded plantar fasciitis issue has reappeared from my past, making me need to reconsider my workouts (again), which I have neither the time nor the mental capacity to do at present.  I greatly appreciate everyone who has been popping in to check on me, and I will try to respond to everyone after this weekend crunch time is over.

ooh, sorry about the stress and feet. I hope you figure out things you can still do, and get to a less stressy period soon.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Oh no, sorry to hear you've had a bad week. The PF, in particular is a real pain in the arse. Well, the heel, not the arse, but you know what I mean. Do you have a strategy for dealing with it? 

Definitely sympathising with the stress, having just come through a period like that myself. Stay on target, this week was just this week. You can draw a line under the sweets and get back to healthier habits. 

On 3/3/2021 at 1:34 AM, obax said:

There are plenty of glute activation drills, like donkey kicks

I think I will need to look into these, as apparently I will be off weight-bearing exercise for a while.  I might be able to do something like donkey kicks in a quadrupedal position, though...

On 3/7/2021 at 2:17 AM, Harriet said:

ooh, sorry about the stress and feet. I hope you figure out things you can still do, and get to a less stressy period soon.

Thanks.  I got pretty discouraged for a few days, but I seem to be bouncing back now.  Lower body stuffs may just need to be put on hold for a bit, or dialed down to the tune of "hilly bike ride" instead of squats.  Most upper body stuff can be done sitting or even reclining, so I can continue that training.

I had several group projects due early this week, which is why school stress had built up to insane proportions the week before.  Back to normal stress levels now 🤪

On 3/8/2021 at 3:46 AM, 18ck said:

Oh no, sorry to hear you've had a bad week. The PF, in particular is a real pain in the arse. Well, the heel, not the arse, but you know what I mean. Do you have a strategy for dealing with it? 

Definitely sympathising with the stress, having just come through a period like that myself. Stay on target, this week was just this week. You can draw a line under the sweets and get back to healthier habits. 

So, this is definitely not my first rodeo with PF.  I have a fair arsenal of helpful stretches to get the feet back in line, but it does take a while.  *Suddenly remembers to grab foot roller to use while typing*  In the meantime, as mentioned above, switching to bike rides instead of walks and looking for alternatives to keeping lower body strengthening moving forward while not distressing the feet any more.

I am starting to come around to an interesting theory about the sweets issue.  I mean, obviously mega-stress week was a big factor, but I am also starting to believe that I had created too great of a caloric deficit when I cut sweets and that it was my body's way of demanding a re-feed.  So, I am toying with adding more protein (like A LOT more) into my diet to have a calorie balance that is more conducive to weight loss than donuts.  The irony is, because of my slow metabolism, eating large quantities of meat makes me feel disgustingly full, so I am forced to rely on protein shakes, which are, of course, sweet.  Now, most use artificial sweeteners so the calorie count stays moderate, but it still feels like stepping backwards.  Actually, the whole thing about adding calories to lose weight feels like stepping backwards and it scares me a bit.  I can't argue with the results so far, though.  The past few days since I added the shakes, my energy (both physical and mental) seems much higher, and my weight seems to be going down.  (You know, with the incontrovertible evidence of 3 days of eating like this).  And I am actually hungry in the mornings, which never happened before.   I will be carefully monitoring progress over the next 2 weeks and see how it goes.

I don't know where this falls in my no sugar quest, since I didn't take artificial sweeteners into account.  It certainly doesn't seem to help with curbing my sweet tooth, but if the end result is a healthier me, does it really matter?  Pondering time.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

4 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I think I will need to look into these, as apparently I will be off weight-bearing exercise for a while.  I might be able to do something like donkey kicks in a quadrupedal position, though...

When I sprained my knee and had to stop lifting while standing, I did reverse cobras for my glutes. Looks like this:

image.png.e344eb1c8c360753d25a38d62eaab422.png

I start with the legs, and make sure all the glute activation is good, then add the upper body part later as needed.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Just now, Scaly Freak said:

When I sprained my knee and had to stop lifting while standing, I did reverse cobras for my glutes. Looks like this:

image.png.e344eb1c8c360753d25a38d62eaab422.png

I start with the legs, and make sure all the glute activation is good, then add the upper body part later as needed.

Ooh, I remember those.  We called them supermans...(supermen?)

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

3 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Ooh, I remember those.  We called them supermans...(supermen?)

Since I am not a man, that is obviously not the correct name 😛 

I highly recommend the for glute work though, especially if it's going to be a short-term thing while you recover from a lower body injury.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Hm, there have to be other sources of protein other than meat and protein shakes though, surely? I'm a big fan of nuts and nut butters, optionally eaten scooped onto an apple slice. 

Beans? Tofu? OK, hippy shit, I know, but can work sell if cooked right. Haloumi? Boiled eggs?

Yeah, boiled eggs and beans, I'll give you my email address so your family can send their complaints to me directly when that diet takes its toll. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Hm, there have to be other sources of protein other than meat and protein shakes though, surely? I'm a big fan of nuts and nut butters, optionally eaten scooped onto an apple slice. 

Beans? Tofu? OK, hippy shit, I know, but can work sell if cooked right. Haloumi? Boiled eggs?

Fish. You forgot to mention fish.

Book Riot Challenge 2021