Teros 69 (Giggity)

Teros

I decided in 2021 to do a year-long challenge.  I didn't know if I should just move my challenge over into the next challenge and keep it all as one thread or not.  But, like, look at the challenge number...  I can't blow that off.

Image result for giggity gif

My goals are going to be the same thing for an entire year, and every time I do my goals, I get stat points.  The reason for this was spurned on because my sister almost died back in November because of diabetes-complicated shit.  After having lost 5 family pets and my mom, the last thing I need is my literal only family member dying.  I decided to enjoy the holidays with regards to food and in 2021, stick to a plan for a year.  My sister and my current ladyfriend are enablers: people that I need to associate with as little as possible while I get my shit together; as well as have clear boundaries that can't be crossed or else they are gone from my life.  If they respect those boundaries, I'll stay around them.  If not, I need to cut them out of my life.  (Last challenge I fully intended to end things with my ladyfriend and after a long talk, we're going to couple's therapy.  If there is still a lack of motivation and long-term goals after that, then I'm done with the relationship.)

Last challenge I earned the following stats:

+16 Strength

+12 Dexterity

+16 Vitality

+7 to Energy

So my character is now:

QZQ12fM.jpg

My challenge goals/points are:

1) Workouts - When covid was getting scary and gyms were closing down, I didn't use it as an excuse: I decided to look up some dumbbell workouts at home.  I've gone from bodyweight or 7 pound dumbbells to using 30, 45, or 50 pound weights.  And for Christmas, I got a 60 pound dumbbell.  I work out 4 times a week so it's pretty obvious that I should get 1 Strength point per workout.

2) NF - With the changes on the forums and the fact that I've been dragging ass for a while, I think I need to bump up this as a priority.  I've overhauled my schedule to include way more frequent posting/checking threads.  I feel like typing up things is hand dexterity, so each time I'm on NF, I'm going to give myself 1 Dexterity point.  Also something that I neglect terribly is any sort of stretching.  I know I should do it.  I know it's supposed to aid in building muscle and yadda yadda.  And YES I have bad back pain daily but I never seem to work on it and I NEED to.  Since that is body dexterity, that also will count towards a point so if I don't post on NF, I can substitute it with a stretching routine.

3) Whole30 - Eating this way always make me feel better and the thing is, the longer the streak I do; the better I feel.  As soon as I fall off the bandwagon, I feel fucking AWFUL so what makes sense is to, you know, never have a break from eating this way.  Every day I eat this way improves my overall health, so I think I should get 1 Vitality point per day.

4) Study/Arts - I already read the LCSW practice exam stuff but I don't want to get rusty if, somehow, magically, I'll be able to take it sooner than expected.  Rather than be caught off guard, I want to get back into studying a little each day.  I also have some artistic pursuits that I would like to do again and if they are viewable, I'll post pictures.  I'm pretty sick of playing videogames and watching twitch/youtube.  I want to create something.  I feel like these are both wisdom-related so I think that every time I do either thing, I should get 1 Energy point.

• Like 13

I highly recommend stretching, especially something like yoga if you are having issues with your back. I had months of chiropractic work done when I was maybe around 19 or so to help my back, which it did. But then I went off to college and didn't keep up with maintenance and messed it up again by the time I had graduated. I did yoga for a month after college and it corrected a lot of the issues for a long time. Recently I got back into yoga and stretching again, and it has made a huge difference, especially for my back and neck/shoulders (where I carry most my stress and tension). 

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

giphy.gif

Here to cheer you on, man! 

How's the Whole 30 going? I see you got +16 Vitality from last challenge! Definitely improvements there! 

Let's get it!!!!

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 261 lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Returns (Zelda Memes Wanted)

Previous Challenges: 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Good Reads

On 2/10/2021 at 8:06 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

Howdy do!

23 hours ago, Aquarii said:

it has made a huge difference, especially for my back and neck/shoulders (where I carry most my stress and tension).

Can a person carry stress and tension in literally every muscle in existence?  Because I'm feeling that's what's going on.  I dated a professional masseuse and when she did my back, she said it was 'knots on top of knots' and I totally believe her.  We already texted about the yoga poses, but for anyone else:  Doing ANY pose, even 'beginner' stuff is painful to try and hold.  I feel like I need a pre-pre-pre-yoga routine or maybe just throw me in one of those inflatable balloon houses with hundreds of back massagers and I'll roll around in there for a few days.

21 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

How's the Whole 30 going? I see you got +16 Vitality from last challenge! Definitely improvements there! 

Let's get it!!!!

Whole30 is going smashingly.  Pip pip. Cheerio. Info below ---v

16 hours ago, spezzy said:

tagged your thread for you!

good luck on your challenge :)

Thankee.  Same to you!

---

"I'm not a cat".  That's exactly what a cat would say...

I'm a few weeks in and  Whole30 has STUCK. 

Image result for finally gif

(where's t2 to see the Rock)

The first 2-3 weeks of the last challenge was just fuck-up after fuck-up regarding whole30.  Once I quite literally quarantined myself away from any human interaction besides work, it was able to stick.  And I'm not eating any stupid shit to derail that.  There are a couple of things that I can eat that are non-whole30 that are also NOT trigger foods however.  For instance: sour cream.  I made tacos so I had 2 scoops of sour cream on all of that.  I've never just, like, eaten a tub of sour cream.  So that's a rare exception.  Also, how many fucking times do I eat turkey tacos?  Maybe once a month? Once every 2 months?  That sour cream isn't addicting and going to derail me.  HOWEVER, I haven't had any milk because if I'm near milk I'm basically:

Image result for chugging milk meme

I remember looking up stuff on lifters and GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) and how hard it was for them.  I was like, Bitch, PLEASE. I can do that in one sitting.

There is an upcoming easter meal that is addicting:  Pasta Fazool.  It's basically a bowl full of crack for me. Beans? Pasta? Sugar? Tomatoes? YES PLZ.  I decided already that I'm not even going to touch it.  I already told my sister to take like 6 bowls of it and put it in a container and throw it in her freezer (in the basement).  When I feel comfortable with eating that (which will be in 2021) then I'll eat it.  Now that whole30 stuck, I REFUSE to get derailed this entire year.  I should probably add my stat points per week rather than at the end of the challenge.  I'm already doing 10 times better at the start of this challenge compared to last challenge (and 100% credit goes to whole30 for fixing my mental health).  I've already spent about 2.5 hours checking threads yesterday, an hour today, posting here, and then I'll spend another hour on da forums before I do my arm workout. 

Turkey tacos with a whole avocado:

dqGQYmm.jpg

OH!  sonuvabitch I got a short story of triumph.

Last week I was doing my arm workout and the dreaded bench presses came up.  I've been stalling on these at 3 reps total with my new heavier dumbbell.  I do my 3 (barely) on my right side and then I get 2 reps done on my left and my arm is shaking really bad and the weight comes down on my left pec.  It didn't bang me too hard: I didn't lose my grip or anything but it was mental, you know?  Like, fuck, what do I have to do in order to break through with these reps?  I've been doing a couple pounds less and able to do 25 reps of those so breaking past this plateau has been fucking with me.

Well, a couple days ago was my next arm workout and I'm dreading doing the bench press.  I do my warm up reps and I'm feeling nervous and scared.  Then something snapped in me and I went from extreme anxiety to extreme anger and I said, "FUCK YOU WEIGHTS".  I started my bench presses and I did a set of 5 on my right side!  And then a set of 5 on my left side!  And then I did another 3 on my right and left side!  I went from this stalling at 3 reps to almost tripling my reps!

Image result for yes gif

The rage is real.  I can do these workouts just fine but in order to get myself to the point of god-tier, I need to embrace the rage and get psyched out of my fucking mind. I'm totally a Sith.

Image result for let the hate flow through you gif

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

Wooooo! Loving these wins, man! Keep eating well and getting swole! Do eeeeeeet!!!!

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

Good Reads

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Challenge #69 puns are simply incomplete without @RES and @T2sarahconnor. Plus the latter would appreciate that Rock gif, I assume.

How right you are ;)

though I could argue any challenge is incomplete without us :D 

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE isn't cutting it!

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 69

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

9 hours ago, Teros said:

Can a person carry stress and tension in literally every muscle in existence?  Because I'm feeling that's what's going on.  I dated a professional masseuse and when she did my back, she said it was 'knots on top of knots' and I totally believe her.  We already texted about the yoga poses, but for anyone else:  Doing ANY pose, even 'beginner' stuff is painful to try and hold.  I feel like I need a pre-pre-pre-yoga routine or maybe just throw me in one of those inflatable balloon houses with hundreds of back massagers and I'll roll around in there for a few days.

If you have a tub that works well for it, a bath as hot as you can stand it with about 2 cups of epsom salts in it is a great starting place.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Me:  "God I fucking hate email. It's never anything..... wait"

*Sees AWSB messaged me*

Me: *Sigh* What fresh hell do I have to deal with now so I can finally take this godforsaken exam and..."

*reads*

"Good Afternoon,

You have been approved to sit for the ASWB Masters/Clinical examination. Your next step is to register for the exam. You may register for the exam online at XXXXXX or by calling ASWB Candidate Services at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Please refer to the ASWB Candidate Handbook at XXXXlink for information about the examination process, testing procedures, and other ways of registering for the exam. Please register as soon as possible to allow adequate time for scheduling a testing appointment before your application expires. Please allow up to two weeks for the board to receive your official examination score once you have taken the exams."

Me: *realization dawning on me as I read*

Image result for yes gif

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 8

Image result for who else but quagmire gif

Here to support you my friend!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 2/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, Rookie said:

I am wondering if I need to start yoga but I hate yoga. I am also a part of the "knots on top of knots" clubhouse.

I was talking to a friend about this and she was surprised that even the 'easiest' poses were stupidly difficult and hurt for me to do.  I need some sort of pre-pre-pre-PRE-yoga.

like:Image result for cat yoga pose

this hurts.

Image result for cat yoga pose

this hurts.

These are beginner things. Then I see shit like this:

Image result for easiest yoga pose

Which is ALSO someone called beginner and I call 'bullshit' on that.

@Fairly_Bouncer I KNOW RIGHT?

On 2/18/2021 at 6:27 PM, Tateman said:

Dark side for sure

Me in due time:

Image result for darth vader squats

On 2/19/2021 at 2:01 AM, Red1263 said:

Here to support you my friend!

THANKEE

--

So I ended up registering for the exam and was told as I finished it that I in 3-5 business days, I will be able to fill out the LAST FORM and choose what date I am going to go in for my test.  I think how it works is they rent space at a testing center and then people pick the available day/times.  I've been studying more.  My plan is to take the exam sometime in April.  That gives me a solid month to comb through my notes over and over.

Regarding other things in my challenge: I did a little goofy art project thing where I made a paper mache princess riding a dinosaur for a ladyfriend.  I also have been c-r-u-s-h-i-n-g my workouts.

Thursday was arms day and I simultaneously look forward to, and dread, arm day.  It was time again to do my bench pressing.  A few weeks back, I was watching a tutorial on bench pressing and how when you up the weight, you have to re-learn the proper form so I've been focusing a lot more on doing this proper.   If I cheat the reps, I only cheat myself in the long run, you know?

So when it was time to do my benches, I hulked out and did a set of 5.  Last time I did 5, rest, 3.  So my plan was to try and match that.  I did 5 then.... 5 more.  I'm up to 10 reps of this heavier weight.

Image result for fuck yes gif

Me afterward.

Like I wrote in my Ode To Iron - it seems like I'm able to get juuuuuuuuuust enough better each time to keep me roped into doing my workouts.  Every single time I think I'm stagnating or hitting a wall on a certain exercise, sometime rises up inside me and I'm able to push past.  Every single workout I've done for 9 solid months is the BEST workout I've ever done.  I can't explain how mentally brain-fucking that is (and I mean that it a totally good way).   It's like the reverse of Office Space.

What about today?  Is today the best workout of your life?

Yeah...

Wow that's fucking amazing.

You know, Chinese New Year might have it right.  2021 is the year of the ox.

Also: for shiggles (shits+giggles) since I keep laughing at this as an open tab:

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 4

I am happy to hear that those workouts are still going well for you. Keep crushing it!

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

4 hours ago, Teros said:

I was talking to a friend about this and she was surprised that even the 'easiest' poses were stupidly difficult and hurt for me to do.  I need some sort of pre-pre-pre-PRE-yoga.

like:Image result for cat yoga pose

this hurts.

Image result for cat yoga pose

this hurts.

These are beginner things. Then I see shit like this:

Image result for easiest yoga pose

Which is ALSO someone called beginner and I call 'bullshit' on that.

If you cannot do those poses, there are usually modifications to the poses that allow you to work up to them. You can use small objects or yoga blocks to balance yourself in these modifications. Just search for "modified [insert pose name]". For example, a modified child's pose may use a chair or stool to help you get started. You may also just want to start with the basic stretching that you can do, and do that daily and then try and work your way into yoga poses. Since a lot of training can tighten your muscles and make them even harder to stretch out, I would recommend getting started with at least minimal stretching soon, even if it is just like five minutes of whatever basic stretches you can do with where you are right now. 

• Like 4

Awesome boundary setting! Keep doing your thing. Hope lady friend comes around and you guys work it out. Moar people learning healthy communication makes me happy.

I have always been a grey one when it comes to the Force :D I need both the rage and the tranquility equally to have my mojo. 

Enjoy reading about your adventures with the Iron.

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I couldn't quote your last post nicely on mobile so here's my responses without quotes lol

[re: Yoga poses]

I can do both of those but I'm not sure I could hold #2 for very long without getting tired. I guess I'll have to try... for science! That last pose though..... Yah.... How I judge if a pose is beginner friendly lol is if I look at the pose and feel "I think I could do that..." Then I try it and I can... Then it's beginner friendly. I wouldn't even attempt that last one. The fact alone that it requires 2 people makes it not beginner friendly lol

[re: Princess dino craft]

Pics or it didn't happen

[re: Exam]

Oh that's right around the corner! That's so exciting. 

[re: Nailing this workouts]

💪💪 Heck yeah friend! That must feel amazing. I know when I have a good horse ride I feel ontop of the world for awhile. 

Hahaha leaf blower guys expression

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Oh man! I'm so excited for you that you're FINALLY going to get to take your exam! Good for you, man! Best of luck on it! 

Yoga is hard. I used to do a night time yoga routine for relaxation before bed, and that helped a lot to get started. I couldn't do all the poses perfectly, but I did what I could. I should get back into that... but that's another challenge. 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Good Reads

Yeah, me too for those yoga poses. Though, it's mostly because my knees can not handle me being on them at all. Anytime I have done something on the ground, I make sure to have lots of cushion for the knees. Otherwise, I think I would be ok.

Excellent job on the workouts. Like Greg Doucette, Workout harder then last time :) 

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you're still crushing this challenge buddy! 

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 2/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, Aquarii said:

Since a lot of training can tighten your muscles and make them even harder to stretch out

OH. THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING.

I need to buckle down and pick a stretching/yoga-esk routine and just follow it.  I think the problem here is I picked a dumbbell program and ran with it for 9+ months now and it's worked great but with the stretching stuff, I sort of putz around and think I have to build some sort of stretch routine and get discouraged and pissy.  I need to have the same mindset as I had with the dumbbells and have a stretching board too.

Fuck it.  Let's not put it off for a week and then forget about it and cry about it.  I'm going to find something IN REAL TIME and post it.

10 min later:

ok I have this

By the way, when we were talking and I mentioned one leg behind me and how it hurt a lot; it was the stretch at :43 that I was supposed to do when I did kickboxing.

I watched this and I guess I'm going to look up ways to modify each of these since besides, like, maybe 2 of them; I can't do any of these thing without a lot of pain.

#KnotsOnKnotsGang @Rookie

Officially challenging you to try this ^ out with me.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:54 AM, Athena said:

Enjoy reading about your adventures with the Iron.

There will be plenty more. I'm sticking with this for a LONG time.  Also, I know about grey jedis but doesn't that kinda seem like cheating by having the 'best of both worlds' as an option?

On 2/21/2021 at 8:06 AM, Rookie said:

[re: Princess dino craft]

Pics or it didn't happen

I don't have it anymore but I've texted a couple times today so I *should* have a pic next time I post.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, RhiaWolfe said:

but I did what I could. I should get back into that... but that's another challenge. 

I mean, I could challenge you too for the #KnotsOnKnots gang with Rookie 😛

On 2/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, Tateman said:

Yeah, me too for those yoga poses. Though, it's mostly because my knees can not handle me being on them at all. Anytime I have done something on the ground, I make sure to have lots of cushion for the knees. Otherwise, I think I would be ok.

Is this is a trend? Do we need to start a PvP stretching/yoga challenge?  Same with you about the knees bullshit - I think the only reason I could even *try* some stretches at my kickboxing class was because of those giant padded floormats.  I assume with less weight on, like, literally every inch of my frame, there will need to be less padding.  Once I have less "human padding", I will need less "floor padding".

That's the official name for being fat.  Having human padding.  Now if only my gut could stop bullets like a vest.

14 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Glad to hear that you're still crushing this challenge buddy! 

Thankee!  Avoid holes in the wall for a while.  You doing fine now?

---

Had leg day and I've recently tried adding some deadlifts to my workout.  From what I've seen/read about, deadlifts have quick-twitch muscles, so you shouldn't go slow on the reps (not insane-o fast either but you know what I mean).  I looked at regular deadlifts and thought, "eh".  Then I saw the stiff-leg variant, which, as noted above in the yoga - makes me a happy Teros.

I tried doing two of them a couple weeks ago and I noticed my gait was TRASH.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Trashman 1/2 - YouTube

My posture/gait/stance/etc.

I bow leg out WAY more than I'm supposed to with these deadlifts.  I realized what the problem is and to all the cats and kittens here who have lots of 'human padding', this might also apply to you:  Because of my stomach, it rotates my thighs outward to have a more triangular stance.

Imagine standing up straight and looking directly down at your feet.  The toes should be pointing as 12 o'clock.  My stance presses down against the thighs which then rotates the thigh and consequentially, the feet so my feet do not point at 12 o'clock.  They points more like 10-and-2.  Then I tried to do the deadlifts and force my feet to point at 12, it made it hard to breathe.  That's because I was trying to forcefully push the thighs back into place, pushing the gut more against my body, and therefore smushing all those precious organs of mine, leading to less lung capacity. 

However, I found a solution as I'm doing stiff-leg deadlifts: Lift the gut.

As in I literally grab my stomach and hold it in front of me like I'm carrying the motherfucking Husafell stone.

Húsafell Stone - Wikipedia

*THEN* I get my feet pointing forward, thighs aligned back into place.  *THEN* let go of the stomach and where it falls naturally keeps my stance all tucked where it should.  Then it was time to do stiff leg deadlifts.

WORLD. OF. DIFFERENCE. 

It's amazing how much my body can do when this stupid fucking fat isn't ruining my life in every way imaginable.  I don't think people who are only like 10, 20, 30 pounds really 'get' what happens.  It's like ducttaping a mattress around my body and then told to move around like it's not there.  It's like wearing 5 puffy coats that weigh 20 pounds a pop.  I'm like goddamn Ralphy.

Coat a christmas story bundle up GIF on GIFER - by Bawield

Anyways, I just was able to go from 2 'trial' deadlifts to now just breaking into.....10 reps.

Oh Boy Excited GIF - OhBoy Excited Enthusiastic - Discover & Share GIFs

I probably should have done this way sooner, but I'm going to try and see if I can upload a picture of my workout board next time I'm on here (along with the dino princess for rookie).

Oh, and as for the exam: there was an exam date free TOMORROW and I was told I had to wait at least 2 weeks before signing up. (I didn't feel ready either so this was fine).  When looking at other available testing sites/dates, there was nothing for 2 months but idk if maybe those dates are posting as they come up.  I'll be checking at least twice a week to see if new times open up because I feel like I'll be ready within a month.  It's just a matter of having an available date to take the damn thing.

❤️,

Teros

• Like 6