Bible Memory Treasure Quest

Working on Philippians 2:12-13 and had another one of those "aha!" moments that I'm starting to really love about memorizing. I've heard pastors talk about "work out your own salvation" and what that means when we don't work for our salvation at all, but if you look at the beginning of verse 12, Paul is talking about how well the Philippians did while he was with them and how they need to continue growing in their faith even though he isn't there anymore. So I think the real point is, having a spiritual mentor is invaluable, but ultimately we are all responsible for our own spiritual formation and relationship with God. 

• Like 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

3 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Hey Fellowship. How are we doing? 😊

I can't claim tons of progress but I do have a few more short verses memorized. This app is really helping me and I'm glad I ran across this group and the recommendation!

I have totally neglected my Bible memory. Need to make a habit that before I look at Instragram, I need to do the Bible Memory app

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've not been good about this, woops!  But I want to keep going.   I am reading a devotional about replacing negativity (part of my current quest) and the woman said she combated the negative thoughts by first Rejecting the not healthy thought, and then reaching into her pocket to redirect the thought to something good.   A bible verse!  One that I am trying to commit to perfect memory was the one she used (Whatever is true, whatever is pure ... ) *that's where I start jumbling the order.  

Long story short.  I think I will combine the memory bit with the changing the thought pattern bit by doing this same thing and having the verse in writing in a pocket!

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

On 10/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

Hey Fellowship. How are we doing? 😊

I can't claim tons of progress but I do have a few more short verses memorized. This app is really helping me and I'm glad I ran across this group and the recommendation!

I've stayed fairly current on the verses I already have memorized, but haven't tackled anything new in a little bit. One of things I like about the app is when I do step away for a bit, it's always right there to remind me where I left off.

I've been attending a liturgical service the last couple weeks and think I might work on memorizing some of the liturgy next. For some reason when I'm reading it I have a harder time really thinking about what it says than when I'm reciting it. Probably going to tackle the Nicine Creed first.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, Elastigirl said:

Need to make a habit that before I look at Instragram, I need to do the Bible Memory app

One of the women in my Bible study said she put her social media apps in a folder and titled the folder "read your Bible first." It's a very effective reminder.

• Like 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

On 10/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, Artemis Prime said:

One of the women in my Bible study said she put her social media apps in a folder and titled the folder "read your Bible first." It's a very effective reminder.

That's a great idea! I might have to rename my "social media" folder.... 🤔

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Just logged into Bible Memory for the first time in weeks. Had 20 verses due, surprisingly got a passing grade in all but 2 of them. I guess that means stuff is migrating over to the long term storage banks.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Just logged into Bible Memory for the first time in weeks. Had 20 verses due, surprisingly got a passing grade in all but 2 of them. I guess that means stuff is migrating over to the long term storage banks.

That's awesome!

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I should finally look up this app rather than picking a verse and flailing at it every few days hahahah!

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

27 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

I should finally look up this app rather than picking a verse and flailing at it every few days hahahah!

It is reall helpful (if you remember to use it😉- looking at myself)

I just sprang for the premium version of the app. I was at my 50 verse limit, and you have to either upgrade or delete verses. It was $10 for lifetime access, so I went with the upgrade. It's supposed to unlock other features as well, but I haven't played with any of them yet. I'll report back if/when I do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

I just sprang for the premium version of the app. I was at my 50 verse limit, and you have to either upgrade or delete verses. It was $10 for lifetime access, so I went with the upgrade. It's supposed to unlock other features as well, but I haven't played with any of them yet. I'll report back if/when I do.

Please do! I'm not close to the 50 verse limit (that's a pretty impressive feat!!!) but I appreciate the app and would consider the upgrade.

EPIC Quest (under construction)

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

That's pretty cheap.Tell us what you think

I've been better this week at using the app. I like the way the app has you fill in more and more words, that seems helpful. One of the things I was hoping that the app would help me with is the review of verses. But, I'm struggling a bit. It seems that after only a few times. the app says I've mastered it and then moved it to every two weeks review. And then I wait two weeks, and all my memory of it is gone. I could do it more frequently than they suggest, but I was hoping for something that says todays task is to work on this verse. How is everyone else using it?

28 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I could do it more frequently than they suggest, but I was hoping for something that says todays task is to work on this verse.

I haven't been having this issue (it seems to judge when I need to review fairly accurately) but there is an option to lock the frequency so that it won't advance. This might be a premium feature though. 

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

I haven't been having this issue (it seems to judge when I need to review fairly accurately) but there is an option to lock the frequency so that it won't advance. This might be a premium feature though. 

I was wondering if the premium had that option

Ok, I went ahead and bought premium. It said that would allow me to fix my own review times, but I don't see how.

Edit :found it

I've been very remiss in reporting back about premium. I spent a little time playing with is this weekend, and here are my thoughts:

Switching your review times: I haven't used this feature because I'm happy with the review times it's giving me, but this seems like a very useful feature and I don't really feel like it should be locked behind a paywall.

Audio recordings: Meh. I'd probably be less averse to this if I didn't dislike listening to my own voice.

Drawing: This seems like a really cool feature. My creative juices were not flowing, so I struggled to come up with drawings to match the verses. Also, I think in words, not images, so this is less helpful to me, but for someone whose brain is wired differently, I could see it working.

Flashcards: If you want to do a quick review without taking the time to type everything out, it's handy. I don't trust myself not to cheat (as in, look at the answer, be a little off, and just go with it. Yeah, sure, close enough, that's what I said.)

Extra verses: The actual reason I got premium is because I hit the 50 verse limit. Still what I find most useful about premium.

Overall Impression: My natural learning process matches the free version of the app - typing in the verse really is the best way for me to learn it and retain it. If it wasn't for the verse limit, I'd be fine with the basic version forever. People who prefer alternate learning methods like verbal cues or pictures probably do really well with the premium version. Either way, I'm willing to be out the $10 to support the cause.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I've been very remiss in reporting back about premium. I spent a little time playing with is this weekend, and here are my thoughts:

Switching your review times: I haven't used this feature because I'm happy with the review times it's giving me, but this seems like a very useful feature and I don't really feel like it should be locked behind a paywall.

Audio recordings: Meh. I'd probably be less averse to this if I didn't dislike listening to my own voice.

Drawing: This seems like a really cool feature. My creative juices were not flowing, so I struggled to come up with drawings to match the verses. Also, I think in words, not images, so this is less helpful to me, but for someone whose brain is wired differently, I could see it working.

Flashcards: If you want to do a quick review without taking the time to type everything out, it's handy. I don't trust myself not to cheat (as in, look at the answer, be a little off, and just go with it. Yeah, sure, close enough, that's what I said.)

Extra verses: The actual reason I got premium is because I hit the 50 verse limit. Still what I find most useful about premium.

Overall Impression: My natural learning process matches the free version of the app - typing in the verse really is the best way for me to learn it and retain it. If it wasn't for the verse limit, I'd be fine with the basic version forever. People who prefer alternate learning methods like verbal cues or pictures probably do really well with the premium version. Either way, I'm willing to be out the $10 to support the cause.

Thanks.  I decided to buy it a few weeks ago. I wanted the ability to schedule the verses. Plus it was only $10, and it seemed like a good app to support.