Jupiter Keeps It Simple

Hey, nerds, I'm back again for another challenge. I still have a lot going on so I'm going to keep it simple with all the same goals from last time. I'm adding one more though, to remind myself to be a little more active on the forums. I've been a bit scarce of late and I want to try to change that. Anyway, goals:

- Strength training

- Yoga

- Eat healthy breakfast/dinner 

- Revise my novel

- Read

- Meditate

- Post/comment 

Anyway, I think that's it. Happy challenge. :) 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

I'm going to keep it simple with all the same goals from last time.

I hear all the smart people are doing that this challenge.

• Haha 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Glad to see you back for another challenge

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Thanks for all the comments, guys, I appreciate it. :) ❤️ This week went really well I think. Let's see...went to the zoo last weekend with some friends and walked over 10,000 steps. I was so sore and exhausted the first part of the week, I didn't even want to move. I still pushed myself to do a strength training workout, though, I just did about half what I normally do. By the end of the week I felt better and got in a 10 minute yoga session and another strength training workout. Work also wasn't too bad, at least until the end of the week. Every file was a rush and everyone wanted everything right that second and some people weren't too nice about it. Add in the tech issues we've still been having and it's just been tons of fun. By Friday I got so fed up with everybody, and I wasn't the only one. As for the fridge, I'm still not sure about it. There's nothing wrong with it, it works fine. One problem, though. My dog seems to be afraid of the freezer. Every time I open it, she runs away. It's a bottom freezer (my old one was a top freezer), and she seems to think it is the tub of doom (a friend's words). I'm not sure how to get her comfortable with it so she's not afraid of it. 😕  

Anyway, stats for last week:

- Strength training -- 2 days. Monday I only did 1 set, but by Friday I was back up to 2 sets. 

- Yoga -- 1 day

- Eat healthy breakfast/dinner -- 5 days/6 days

- Revise my novel -- 5 days. My lowest time was only about 20 minutes, highest was 50 minutes. 

- Read -- 3 days

- Meditate -- 0. Still having trouble with this one. I was thinking of adding it before I start my writing sessions. Maybe it'll help me stay focused more. 

- Post/comment -- 0. Need to work on this one. 

Well, overall, not bad. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1
13 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

As for the fridge, I'm still not sure about it. There's nothing wrong with it, it works fine. One problem, though. My dog seems to be afraid of the freezer. Every time I open it, she runs away. It's a bottom freezer (my old one was a top freezer), and she seems to think it is the tub of doom (a friend's words). I'm not sure how to get her comfortable with it so she's not afraid of it. 😕  

Does it make a strange noise when you open it, or has it done so in the past? That would terrify our dog, but yours might not be as timid as ours is.

We replaced our fridge a few months ago, and have a similar freezer drawer now, but our timid dog got used to it pretty quickly. Can you start with opening it just a little bit, while petting her and bribing her with treats so she stays while it's open, and slowly ease her into getting used to it that way?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

47 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Well, overall, not bad. 

Definitely doesn't sound bad at all, and you got a lot of activity front loaded into the early part of the week it sounds like. Meditation is definitely not easy to keep up with, especially when you're not used to it.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

50 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

It's a bottom freezer (my old one was a top freezer), and she seems to think it is the tub of doom (a friend's words). I'm not sure how to get her comfortable with it so she's not afraid of it. 😕  

To be fair, this is the opposite issue from what many dog owners have. :D

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

1 minute ago, Defining said:

Mine likes laying in front of the fridge when I'm in the kitchen cooking or baking, probably because she knows that makes it impossible to ignore her. When I reach for the drawer handle she scrambles out of the way but returns immediately, and stays close so she can see the bag with Frozen Treats (chicken broth ice cubes) the instant it makes an appearance. :) 

• Haha 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Does it make a strange noise when you open it, or has it done so in the past? That would terrify our dog, but yours might not be as timid as ours is.

We replaced our fridge a few months ago, and have a similar freezer drawer now, but our timid dog got used to it pretty quickly. Can you start with opening it just a little bit, while petting her and bribing her with treats so she stays while it's open, and slowly ease her into getting used to it that way?

The freezer does make a noise when I pull it open. I think that and maybe the tub itself kind of freaks her out. It's very different than what she's used to.  When the doors are closed though the fridge doesn't bother her at all. She goes right by it all the time without even noticing it.

She definitely loves her treats, so I may have to try that and see how she does. Thanks. :) 

1 hour ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Definitely doesn't sound bad at all, and you got a lot of activity front loaded into the early part of the week it sounds like. Meditation is definitely not easy to keep up with, especially when you're not used to it.

Thanks. :) Yeah, I've definitely found it a hard habit to cultivate. That's why I want to try to tack it on with another habit and see how it goes. Plus I think it could really help me on days where I find it hard to focus on the writing. 

1 hour ago, Defining said:

LOL I'm sure. :D 

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Mine likes laying in front of the fridge when I'm in the kitchen cooking or baking, probably because she knows that makes it impossible to ignore her. When I reach for the drawer handle she scrambles out of the way but returns immediately, and stays close so she can see the bag with Frozen Treats (chicken broth ice cubes) the instant it makes an appearance. :) 

LOL. Mine doesn't lay in front of the fridge, but she sits next to it for her treats. She always gets treats at meal times, so she usually sits in her spot and waits. At least she did with the old fridge. 

• Like 4

Ugh, I've been exhausted all week. We've had nothing but system issues at work and people jumping down my throat for their files even though there was nothing I could do. And because of all the crap I got way behind and ended up having a meltdown. So yeah, it's been tons of fun this week. Today at least was better and I was able to get a lot done. It's amazing how much I'm able to do when the system actually works. I don't know what the problem is, but we've been having more and more system issues lately and me and my co-workers are getting so fed up. On the bright side, the upper management boss who was a huge jerk to me left the company. I was not sad to hear he left.  

Anyway, stats for the week so far:

- Strength training -- Did 2 sets on Monday. 

- Yoga -- Did 10 minutes today

- Eat healthy breakfast/dinner -- 4 days/5 days 

- Revise my novel -- 4 days. Lowest time was about 10 minutes and highest was an hour and 30-ish minutes. The writing mentorship program started up again at the library so I took my first chapter in. My mentor only had a chance to read half of it but she really likes it so far.  

- Read -- 2 days.

- Meditate -- 1 day for 5 minutes. 

- Post/comment -- 1 day. 

All things considered, a pretty productive week so far. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

Busy couple of days. Work on Friday was awful. The system was so slow and kept freezing constantly. It was just ridiculous. And IT was no help at all. They did an update over the weekend and there was a slight improvement today but it didn't really do much. And we're still getting a ton of rush files even with the system issues, so it's been pretty crazy. Saturday was a friend's baby shower which ended up taking longer than I expected, so I didn't get anything done. Sunday was better. I cleaned, did laundry, and got some other stuff done. Today I don't feel all that great, but still got a few things done. Mostly I just feel meh and don't want to do anything.  

Anyway, I'm just doing stats for yesterday and today, so here they are:

- Strength training -- Did 2 sets today. My form wasn't the greatest, but I tried. 

- Yoga -- Did 10 minutes yesterday.

- Eat healthy breakfast/dinner -- 2 days/2 days 

- Revise my novel -- 2 days, an hour and a half yesterday, only about 20 minutes today. 

- Read -- Nothing yet this week. 

- Meditate -- Nope. 

- Post/comment -- Posting today and made a few comments. 

That's all I've got. 

• Like 6
On 3/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, Jupiter said:

Did 2 sets today. My form wasn't the greatest, but I tried. 

Trying is better than nothing.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, Jupiter said:

Read -- Nothing yet this week. 

I'm just settling in to read now. Come join me. :)

• Like 3

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, Defining said:

Looks like a pretty decent week, because you did what you could! :)

Rock on.

Thanks! :) 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:53 PM, juliebarkley said:

Trying is better than nothing.

True. Thanks. :) 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:53 PM, juliebarkley said:

I'm just settling in to read now. Come join me. :)

I did read for a little bit that day and over the weekend. :) Just finished the book today, actually, Dark Stars by Danielle Rollins. Great book. :) 

• Like 3

Gah, another busy week. We keep losing people left and right (old and new) because they think the pasture will be greener elsewhere, or because the work is too stressful for them, leaving more and more of the work for the rest of us. Fun times. Anyway, I did stuff and things, LOL. Since Monday I got in 2 10 minute yoga sessions and I ate sort of okay even though I haven't been to the store. I didn't eat out at all this week, so that has to count for something. Missed three days of writing/revising because I've been a bit brain dead, which left me a bit cranky this weekend. Going to a friend's birthday party helped though. I did make a few social blunders, but otherwise I had fun.

• Like 4
On 3/8/2021 at 5:05 AM, Jupiter said:

We keep losing people left and right (old and new) because they think the pasture will be greener elsewhere, or because the work is too stressful for them, leaving more and more of the work for the rest of us.

Well, I could say with certainty that the companies that me and my friends work for, treat their employees much better than that your company treats you. Of course, I'm in a different country with more worker's rights and stronger unions, so I can't comment on whether the grass is really greener on the other side for them. 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:05 AM, Jupiter said:

Since Monday I got in 2 10 minute yoga sessions and I ate sort of okay even though I haven't been to the store. I didn't eat out at all this week, so that has to count for something.

Yay, good job! Work-life balance can be so hard, I hope your work will be more reasonable again soon!

• Like 2
On 3/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jupiter said:

Gah, another busy week. We keep losing people left and right (old and new) because they think the pasture will be greener elsewhere, or because the work is too stressful for them, leaving more and more of the work for the rest of us. Fun times. 

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

Well, I could say with certainty that the companies that me and my friends work for, treat their employees much better than that your company treats you. Of course, I'm in a different country with more worker's rights and stronger unions, so I can't comment on whether the grass is really greener on the other side for them. 

Unless I am utterly confused, I am in the same country as Jupiter. I may even be in the same industry, and the grass grows tall and bright green in my pasture. Obviously the shade of green varies between branches and departments and even within them sometimes, but the last time we had a mass exodus was years ago, and it had more to do with the new executive team's  hard push to change the company culture, than with the company treating us the expendable garbage.

A year into the pandemic, me and my co-workers have ben treated a lot better than average, and most of us have become more loyal than we were, as a result.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 3/8/2021 at 12:05 PM, Jupiter said:

because they think the pasture will be greener elsewhere

From what I have read of your company culture, they probably aren't wrong

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I just found your challenge! I haven't been very good at sorting through the new all guild challenges, sorry. I looked through everything in the first week and after that I just look for stars to find threads I already commented on. But I found you! And you're doing writing and meditation and yoga and strength, which is a recipe for excellence! What kind of strength training are you doing, and what sort of yoga? Videos, or your own programme?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Small rant ahead, feel free to skip:

Spoiler

This week has been hell at work.  A few teammates are out on vacation so I've been getting a lot of their files on top of my own (and naturally everything was a rush). I got so behind, and I kept getting so many nagging emails from people because apparently I wasn't working fast enough for them. I'm only doing the work of three people, but you know. I'm just supposed to have it all magically done in seconds. At one point I just stopped responding. I got so fed up I started deleting everything. Once Friday evening rolled around, I fled. Fled. I should have worked over the weekend to try to catch up a little bit but I couldn't do it. I got so much anxiety just thinking about it, and I've had a stress headache for three days. I don't even want to go back tomorrow. My co-workers should be coming back in another week or so, but still. It shouldn't be this bad just because a few of us go on vacation. It shouldn't be this bad at all. The higher ups keep promising that things will get better, that they'll hire more people, etc, but I just don't want to hear it anymore. 

Okay, rant over now. I did do stuff last week despite all the work crap but I'll do a recap tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments, guys, I'll respond tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4