It is time to return to a challenge that always seems to fill me with the energy and motivation to stay active. It is an epic one, but it is less about completing all of the things and more about staying present with the essence of each challenge goal.

Basic Challenge:

giphy.gif

Connect With Environment: The Na'vi are deeply connected to the natural world around them and they take care of it. When completing each of these challenges, engage all of your senses and stay mindful of the impact nature has on your body and your spirit.

• At least 30 total minutes outdoors/day in a natural setting

• Go barefoot as often as possible and be mindful of how my body reacts; wear minimalist shoes when necessary.

• Explore an unfamiliar outdoor area, or explore a familiar one as if seeing it for the first time.

• Swim in wild waters (creeks and rivers) and climb trees

• Give at least 5 total minutes/day of mindful attention to a life form other than human (pets, wildlife, plants, etc.).

• Download Joulebug and complete at least one challenge/day.

• Do a litter cleanup in a natural area at least once/week.

• Avoid using plastics of any kind (unless impossible).

• 1 hike or trail run/week

latest?cb=20200425184012

Connect With Food: The Na'vi are omnivorous hunter-gatherers with a deep connection to the available provisions that surrounded them, both meat and plant. When completing these challenges, savor each bite, eat mindfully and pay close attention to how this affects your body and spirit.

• Eat full vegetarian at least one day/week

• Eat at least 1 vegetable/day

• Eat fresh meat whenever possible instead of processed/boxed/canned meat at least 3 days/week; this includes fish (BONUS: game meat when possible).

• Forage at least once/week (dandelion, plantains, wild onion, etc.)

• Fast intermittently; be mindful of when it is acceptable to not eat and when it is necessary

• Eat locally at least once/week if possible (Farmer's market?)

giphy.gif

Connect With Body: The Na'vi need their body to be in top shape in order to survive such a harsh environment. When completing this challenge, use a variety of "wild fitness"/primal/paleo natural movements and be mindful of how this impacts your body and spirit.

• Deep squat more

• Drink at least 1/2 gallon of water/day.

• Practice balancing on a narrow surface 3 days/week

• Dead hang for at least 30 seconds 3 days/week.

• "Natural movement" HIIT workout at least 3 days/week; continue to incorporate resistance bands and other home workout equipment (cinderblocks, log, stones, etc.)

• Barefoot sprint in the field more often

• Daily breathwork

7939c1c080bdee1c9d0e86effd51edd4503e5922

Connect With Tribe: The Na'vi have a deep connection with members of their tribe, especially family but also tribal elders and leaders. For this challenge, be mindful of your relationships and how you strengthen them.

• Spend time in the afternoon with your daughters ('ite); at least one technology-free playtime/week.

• Use intimate physical touch with tribal members (for family: hugs, kisses, holding hands, snuggling; handshakes/hugs for friends).

• At least one uninterrupted/technology free evening with wife (muntxate)

• Call your mother (sa'nok).

giphy.gif

Connect With Self: In spite of living in a savage environment, the Na'vi are very self-aware and practice a disciplined self-control and humble appreciation of all life, including their own.

• Become toruk makto: tame the beast and take control of your temper by pausing and being mindful of your emotions.

• Seek wisdom: read works written by great tribal leaders and elders who have come before you.

• Choose your words: be mindful of when to speak and when to be silent; don't waste words, but choose them wisely.

• Be grateful: keep a log each day of things for which you are grateful.

giphy.gif

Connect With Eywa (God): The Na'vi believe in and commune with a being greater than themselves. This is the essence of their culture and it drives their actions and lifestyle. While completing these challenges, be mindful of where your heart and spirit rest on these issues.

• Greet each morning with a grateful smile and a spoken "Thank you."

• Pray/meditate in silence at least 10 minutes/day.

• Integrate prayer throughout the day.

• Treat each person you meet as spiritually connected and as image-bearers of God; treat all lifeforms as God's creation.

• Practice agape love (unconditional love).

Bonus Challenges:

• Learn Na'vi language.

• Spend at least one night outside (in a hammock, if possible).

• Take a long hike deep into the woods (off trail, if possible).

• Ride a horse.

• Harvest spring water.

• Go rock climbing (freestyle).

• Like 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Wakes the White Wolf

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I started out envying your access to some of these things (and also impressed with the foraging), and ended up being impressed that you can not just handle but embrace a challenge with 7,329 goals.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Hey buddy. I’m here for this!

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

5 hours ago, Teros said:

There are onions out and about you are able to pick? That's awesome.

Yes. I don't think they're technically onions, but they are a wild leek. West Virginia is also famous for wild ramps, but that's not what I harvest. The ones that grow near me (I think) are more like green onions, and both the green stalk and the "onion" bud are edible. The bud is a bit spicy, while the greens taste about how you'd expect a green onion to taste.

6 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Hey buddy. I’m here for this!

Always a pleasure to have you along, my friend.

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I started out envying your access to some of these things (and also impressed with the foraging), and ended up being impressed that you can not just handle but embrace a challenge with 7,329 goals.

Yes, I am a vessel of boundless energy and I welcome anything that keeps me active.

Update: Week 0, Sunday

Connect With Environment

• took my dogs outside several times today while barefoot and shirtless; enjoyed both the chilly morning air and the warmth of the afternoon and evening sunlight
  • spent plenty of time with our new puppy, Charlie; also watched some redwing black birds chasing each other from tree to tree
  • completed three challenges on Joulebug

Connect With Food:

• Breakfast: scrambled duck egg with diced potato and shredded cheddar cheese
  • Lunch: avocado toast topped with power greens (spring mix, kale, spinach, chard), cottage cheese, raspberry chipotle salsa, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and Himalayan pink salt
  • Dinner: Chicken parmesan, corn on the cob
  • sipping some herbal tea right now with ingredients to help with sleep; added a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar and some stevia

Connect With Body:

• Sunday is a rest day, so other than playing with my kids and our dogs, I did some light walking
  • deep squatted for a few minutes while outside with my dogs; I did not time it.
  • stood barefoot in the sunlight and breathed deeply and mindfully for a few minutes.

Connect With Tribe:

• spent time playing with my kids and out dogs, especially our new puppy.
  • My 17 year old princes brought my car back to me, and I drove her to see a friend and then to my mother's; we talked about school and her upcoming trip with her sisters and my wife (I won't be joining them because I have to work, and I have a guy's trip planned that weekend, which I will talk about in another post).
  • relaxed on the couch with my wife and talked about plans for the other house; we're both getting excited because it is happening soon, and it will happen fast.
  • called my mother; we talked about the new puppy, about plans for the other house, and about my niece, who lost a tooth when she fell today

Connect With Self:

• I was mindful of some things I read about today (things out of my control) that, if I'm not careful, really change my mood for the worst; during this challenge, I am determined not to let outside influences "control" my emotions.
  • read a few lines of Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
  • spoke mindfully to my 17 year old when talking about school; I also had to pause and consider my words while talking to a neighbor who has not been responsible with her own pets and whose dog got loose again today
  • I am grateful for friends who support me, for warm sunshine, and for my wife's patience

Connect With Eywa:

• said the Lord's Prayer this morning, as well as a more personal prayer
  • read a devotional on the YouVersion app on my phone
  • closed my eyes for a few minutes in silent meditation during my deep breathing
  • Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

10 hours ago, epitedeioterov said:

Following for good role modelling and Marcus Aurelius mentions.

Welcome. I will do my best to honor you as a guest. Speaking of Marcus Aurelius, this quote right here:

“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” 

is one of my inspirations for this task:

19 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Greet each morning with a grateful smile and a spoken "Thank you."

I've learned that there is great power in speaking thankfulness out loud, in forming audible words to my feelings of gratitude.

By pure coincidence, this challenge starts a little more than a week before my trip to my own "Hallelujah Mountains":

seneca-rocks-592612409-580d547f3df78c2c7

This is Seneca Rocks in my home state, West Virginia. It's about a three hour drive from where I live. I first visited this area when I was a kid, but we didn't hike up to the rocks; we simply admired them from the nearby town and then drove somewhere else. For this trip, some buddies are accompanying me, and we plan to hike the trail that leads to the left edge of the cliffs where there is access to the top of the ridge, which can mostly be walked, but "at your own risk." It is possible to climb the face of the rocks, as well, but neither myself nor my buddies are rock climbers, and the cost for a guided climb was a bit too steep (pun intended) for us.

Here's a cool drone video for some great views of the mountain and the rocks:

I give this guy bonus points for using an M83 song in the video. 

As I said in an above post, my wife and daughters will be in Florida that weekend, so I have an entire day of adventure in mind. We haven't finalized all of our plans yet, but there are other adventurous places in the area of Seneca Rocks, including Blackwater Falls, Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV. Or we could travel south and see the Green Bank Observatory, which has the world's largest fully steerable radio telescope. People talk a lot of crap about WV, but some of the most important astronomical discoveries were (and continue to be) made via the Green Bank Observatory.

Regardless of where we go in addition to Seneca Rocks (or even if we just spent the day there), I am looking forward to sharing the adventure with some of my brothers.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Just tried my first yellow dragon fruit, and I swear I inadvertently mimicked Jake Sully's reaction when he bit into the Spartan fruit (watch or fast-forward to the end).

They're so freaking sweet! I've had regular dragon fruit, and I don't think it was quite ripe yet because, while it wasn't terrible, it was just okay... kind of... blandly sweet if that makes sense?

But this little thing:

16142.png

I could eat millions of them without regrets.

Since @epitedeioterov expressed a love for Marcus Aurelius, by pure serendipity, I read a passage that was very relevant to a conversation I was having with @Sciread77:

"Neither in writing nor in reading wilt thou be able to lay down rules for others before thou shalt have first learned to obey rules thyself. Much more is this so in life."

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

“Neither in writing nor in reading wilt thou be able to lay down rules for others before thou shalt have first learned to obey rules thyself. Much more is this so in life."

It really is relevant. And drives home how important a lot of this work is for me to accomplish to be able to help Woody with this kind of stuff too. 

Woody got really excited about that dragon fruit. Though he thought it was a cupcake? 😆 

• Haha 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Since @epitedeioterov expressed a love for Marcus Aurelius, by pure serendipity, I read a passage that was very relevant to a conversation I was having with @Sciread77:

"Neither in writing nor in reading wilt thou be able to lay down rules for others before thou shalt have first learned to obey rules thyself. Much more is this so in life."

Weirdly (considering the schools were somewhat opposed), that reminds me of Plato's Alcibiades.  Socrates basically destroys Alcibiades's expectation that he deserves to lead the Athenians given his family status and fancy education, saying stuff like "So you'll lead the people by correcting their grammar?"  Alcibiades has to learn to rule himself before he can lead others.  Spoilers: he doesn't.  Could've been a Marcus Aurelius instead of just Socrates's ex-boyfriend if he'd only tried.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

It really is relevant. And drives home how important a lot of this work is for me to accomplish to be able to help Woody with this kind of stuff too. 

That's good to know!

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Woody got really excited about that dragon fruit. Though he thought it was a cupcake? 😆 

That's hilarious. You should show him that video of objects that are actually cake. Except maybe avoid the one where the cakes look like real animals.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, epitedeioterov said:

Weirdly (considering the schools were somewhat opposed), that reminds me of Plato's Alcibiades.  Socrates basically destroys Alcibiades's expectation that he deserves to lead the Athenians given his family status and fancy education, saying stuff like "So you'll lead the people by correcting their grammar?"  Alcibiades has to learn to rule himself before he can lead others.  Spoilers: he doesn't.  Could've been a Marcus Aurelius instead of just Socrates's ex-boyfriend if he'd only tried.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Update: Week 0, Monday

Connect With Environment

• took my dogs outside several times while barefoot and shirtless; enjoyed the chilly morning air as well as the warmth of the afternoon and evening sunlight. This is why I love Spring: the diverse weather.
  • played with our new puppy; also watched a red shouldered hawk fly around campus, its call echoing all around
  • completed two challenges on Joulebug

Connect With Food:

• Breakfast: none (fasted from 7 pm Sunday to 11 pm Monday
  • Lunch: leftover chicken parmesan; Bolthouse Farms keto dark chocolate protein drink

c33c4418-b485-4e71-bc0d-88e559b21fcf.78e

• Dinner: Bacon wrapped broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken

Broccoli-Food-Porn_0002_1024x1024.jpg?v=

• Snacks: yellow dragon fruit (YUM!), Oatmega 3 chocolate mint protein bar

Connect With Body:

• Some light resistance band work and plenty of walking around campus
  • deep squatted for a few minutes while outside with my dogs
  • stood barefoot in the sunlight and breathed deeply and mindfully 

Connect With Tribe:

• spent time playing with my kids and our dogs
  • ran some errands for my wife; also went to the other house and measured the windows that need replaced
  • relaxed on the couch with my wife and talked about the struggle to find the right size windows for the other house and about her upcoming trip with the girls to Florida
  • called my mother; we talked about the other house

Connect With Self:

• I was mindful of feelings of frustration when my daughter disobeyed; I realized it could have been a misunderstanding (and also, she's 9 years old, so...).
  • read a few more lines of Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and finished listening to Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey; I'm glad I purchased a hard copy of the book, but the audiobook is a lot of fun because he narrates it.
  • spoke mindfully to a student who was struggling academically but is showing some improvement; I praised his progress while also stressing the urgency of continuing to improve.
  • I am grateful for my speaking skills, for discomfort, and for my daughters' laughter.

Connect With Eywa:

• read/watched a devotional on the YouVersion app
  • closed my eyes for a few minutes in silent meditation during some downtime in my classroom
  • Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I cannot count the number of times I have told myself “I really need to finally watch Avatar” and then completely forgotten about it. But your challenge theme reminds me that I still really want to see it. I wonder if any of my streaming services have it available...

I just read Meditations last challenge! It was my very first time through it.

• Like 2

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 3/22/2021 at 7:59 AM, WolfDreamer said:

This is Seneca Rocks in my home state,

That looks like it's going to be awesome.

5 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I cannot count the number of times I have told myself “I really need to finally watch Avatar” and then completely forgotten about it.

Same.....same lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Teros said:

Same.....same lol

I have wanted to see it ever since I heard it was loosely based on the short story, "Call Me Joe" that I really enjoyed in high school. I loved the story, and though I know it is very, very loosely based on it, I know it would make a really cool concept for a movie, and I have heard great things about Avatar, so, I keep meaning to see it.

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

16 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I wonder if any of my streaming services have it available...

Disney + has it.

16 hours ago, Aquarii said:

just read Meditations last challenge! It was my very first time through it.

What are your thoughts?

11 hours ago, Teros said:

Same.....same lol

Time to remedy that, sir.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Disney + has it.

I have a subscription to that one! Guess I might be able to finally watch it after all.

What are your thoughts?

I thought it was good. I already had a very basic understanding of Stoicism going into it, and Stoicism is probably the philosophy my personality naturally lines up with the most. It is always interesting to see just how timeless philosophy can be, but also how simultaneously influenced by current events it can be. There were some lines that could have been written exactly the same by anyone today, but some things that could have only been written by a male, Roman emperor almost two millenia ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

It is always interesting to see just how timeless philosophy can be, but also how simultaneously influenced by current events it can be.

And so very practical and relevant. Thoreau said, "To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school.... It is to solve some of the problems of life, not theoretically, but practically.”

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Guess I might be able to finally watch it after all.

giphy.gif

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Update: Week 0, Tuesday

Connect With Environment

• took my dogs outside several times today while barefoot and shirtless; it was not as chilly in the morning, but the sky was clear and I could see a lot of stars.
  • spent plenty of time with my dogs, and took Charlie for his first parvo vaccination and his first dose of dewormer; watched a few squirrels chase each other up a tree.

Connect With Food:

• Breakfast: Bolthouse Farms keto chocolate protein drink, Oatmega 3 chocolate mint protein bar
  • Lunch: Chili Lime Crunch salad
  • Dinner: crunchy tacos with lettuce, cheddar cheese, and salsa

Connect With Body:

• Completed a resistance band upper body workout and ran intervals of running/sprinting/walking/jogging
  • stood barefoot and shirtless in the sunlight and breathed deeply and mindfully

Connect With Tribe:

• spent time playing with my kids and took the puppy to the vet.
  • talked via text to one of my close friends who broke off his engagement because things are getting rocky between him and his fiance; he asked for help moving out.
  • relaxed in the bed with my wife and talked about plans for the other house; finances are finally coming in, so the hope is we will be moved in by mid to late summer.
  • visited my mother; we talked about my daughter's struggles in school and about the other house.

Connect With Self:

• I was mindful of feeling overwhelmed even in the midst of good things happening and how when a lot is going on at once I can get irritable and testy.
  • read a few lines of Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
  • spoke mindfully and patiently to my 10 year old princess after she disobeyed my wife.
  • I am grateful my NF friends, for dark chocolate, and for soft ground

Connect With Eywa:

• read a devotional on the YouVersion app on my phone
  • closed my eyes for a few minutes in silent meditation during my deep breathing
  • Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Update: Week 0, Wednesday

Connect With Environment

• took my dogs outside several times today while barefoot and shirtless; beautifully cool spring morning with a sky full of stars and a warm, sunny afternoon and evening.
  • spent time with my dogs; I also had a staring contest with a red shouldered hawk--he eventually called out and flew away, so I guess I won.

Connect With Food:

• Breakfast: MuscleTech 100% grass fed whey protein shake, with raw egg, honey, and almond butter
  • Lunch: two stuffed crab shells from Captain D's
  • Dinner: pinto beans
  • Snacks: almond cheesecake from Cafe Crema, Totino's pizza rolls

Connect With Body:

• Completed a resistance band full body HIIT workout and powerwalked 5k
  • stood barefoot and shirtless in the sunlight and breathed deeply and mindfully while stretching my arms
  • took a necessary power nap in a quiet corner of the university library

Connect With Tribe:

• spent time playing with my kids
  • helped my buddy pack up a U-Haul to move his stuff out of his fiance's house 
  • relaxed on the couch with my wife and watched The Connors; later we talked about more plans for the other house; even more finances are coming in, so it is looking like we will be able to afford all of the necessary remodeling.
  • visited my mother; we talked about the other house and about my daughter's dog (not the same puppy I talked about above).

Connect With Self:

• I was mindful of feeling overwhelmed again because I had to talk to a bank clerk, build student schedules, call a parent, talk to my 17 year old about grades, email one of her teachers, anticipate a phone call that never came, and figure out what to do with my parents' belongings that are still in the other house; as I have said before, when I am overwhelmed, I can get irritable and testy.
  • read a few pages of Man Uncivilized by Traver Boehm
  • spoke mindfully and patiently to my 17 year old princess about her grades and made it clear by my actions that she would not be permitted to drive my car until her grades improve.
  • I am grateful for my wife's enthusiasm, for very well-made cheesecake, and for puppy breath.

Connect With Eywa:

• read a devotional on the YouVersion app on my phone and listened to a guided prayer/meditation
  • Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Update: Week 0, Thursday

Connect With Environment

• took my dogs outside several times while barefoot and shirtless; the morning was clear and cool, but it had rained that night, so the ground was squishy
  • spent time with my dogs; I also watched a little brown bat fly around the field as the sun was setting over the horizon.

Connect With Food:

• Breakfast: bacon and a slice of avocado toast from Dunkin
  • Lunch: wild caught mackerel in extra virgin olive oil, Vital Proteins chocolate almond sea salt collagen bar
  • Dinner: dinner out with the family--Baja fish tacos at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, Rocas.
  • Snacks: two chocolate chip cookies, a glass of sweet tea

Connect With Body:

• Completed a resistance band biceps and triceps workout (five exercises, four sets each: 20, 10, 10, and 15 rapid), and powerwalked 5k
  • stood barefoot and shirtless in the sunlight and breathed deeply and mindfully
  • closed my eyes in quiet meditation for 10 minutes during some downtime at work

Connect With Tribe:

• spent time playing with my kids
  • picked my 17 year old up from school and let her drive to my mother's and then let her borrow my car for the evening
  • went out to dinner with my wife and youngest daughters and ran some errands with them
  • relaxed on the couch with my wife and watched Station 19; later we talked a little about plans for the other house, but we were both exhausted, so our conversation didn't last long.
  • visited my mother; we talked about my friend who has COVID and about how I think she should get the vaccine; Mom is reluctant.

Connect With Self:

• I was mindful of feeling overwhelmed while answering phone calls, creating student schedules, making plans for the other house; I took walk breaks to literally "step away" from it all
  • read a few pages of The Jesus Journey by Trent Sheppard
  • spoke mindfully and patiently to my 17 year old princess about her grades to ensure she had met the required responsibilities to earn the privilege of driving my car.
  • I am grateful for my wife's partnership, for workouts that leave you sore but not too sore, and for puppy snuggles.

Connect With Eywa:

• read a devotional on the YouVersion app on my phone and listened to a guided prayer/meditation
  • Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. Good things are happening, but they're also taking up my free time. I'll post more soon, but:

• the new house remodel is happening; electrician coming this week to rewire the house and install the heaters, and the next steps will be happening soon.
  • I am currently in the Zoom waiting room as a guest on my friend's podcast; going live on Facebook soon!
  • Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 3/23/2021 at 8:38 PM, Aquarii said:

I have wanted to see it ever since I heard it was loosely based on the short story, "Call Me Joe" that I really enjoyed in high school. I loved the story, and though I know it is very, very loosely based on it, I know it would make a really cool concept for a movie, and I have heard great things about Avatar, so, I keep meaning to see it.

I heard it was based on Pocahontas.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, WolfDreamer said:
  • the new house remodel is happening;
  • I am currently in the Zoom waiting room as a guest on my friend's podcast; 

Awesome to hear

• Like 1