Weight Loss PVP: 10/12 lbs in 10/12 Weeks! [Mar 22 - June 7]

I need to rethink my food a little. I have been cooking without oil and with a lot of veg and protein to make 400 cal meals, but last night I could not face my dinner, and I ate a laugenstange (a twisted breadroll made of pretzel bread) and plenty of cheese, then a piece of chocolate and some wine. So I need to make my food more enjoyable. But all the nice meals I used to cook are really high in calories--500 to 800 each. Many of them were lower protein, too. I mean you just can't get 30g of protein unless you cut the carbs and fat quite low. I must either cut out all my extras (wine, chocolate, etc) or find tastier recipes for my low cal/high protein meals. Or just have a high carb delicious meal each week, maybe.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

I need to rethink my food a little. I have been cooking without oil and with a lot of veg and protein to make 400 cal meals, but last night I could not face my dinner, and I ate a laugenstange (a twisted breadroll made of pretzel bread) and plenty of cheese, then a piece of chocolate and some wine. So I need to make my food more enjoyable. But all the nice meals I used to cook are really high in calories--500 to 800 each. Many of them were lower protein, too. I mean you just can't get 30g of protein unless you cut the carbs and fat quite low. I must either cut out all my extras (wine, chocolate, etc) or find tastier recipes for my low cal/high protein meals. Or just have a high carb delicious meal each week, maybe.

Maybe having a high carb meal once a week is a good plan. I don't really miss the carbs  as much as the fat.  I hear you on trying to make low calorie meals taste good, it's really hard. That's one reason why I think some people do better with intermittent fasting, but skipping a meal doesn't work for me.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Maybe having a high carb meal once a week is a good plan. I don't really miss the carbs  as much as the fat.  I hear you on trying to make low calorie meals taste good, it's really hard.

I miss both, hence the bread cheese chocolate chomp yesterday. But yeah, maybe a higher calorie meal once a week where I don't worry about health or macros.

I also need to make notes on which meals work. The meal I couldn't face was shrimps and tofu with loads of vegetables in coconut milk & a little bit of red curry paste & lemon juice. I think I did the tofu and prawns wrong because it all tasted like refrigerator water. Disgusting. But today I made some roast aubergine, tomato & beef strips with spices & cottage cheese and it was delicious.

That's one reason why I think some people do better with intermittent fasting, but skipping a meal doesn't work for me.

Me neither. I do not waive my rights to any of my meals. I need all of them.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Am down to 75kg today! Wasn't quite expecting that as I've been 76kg most of the week (albeit weighing in at random times of day).

I'm getting very close to my target weight. 1kg to go. Part of my wants to keep losing, but I think it might be a good idea to maintain and get used to my new body before making any decisions about getting any slimmer. 

My waist is fluctuating a lot, but I'm getting close to the 28inch goal which would put me in 'medium' sized clothing (size 8 US).

• Like 4

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

I think the best meal plan is the one you can stick with...I get it, I really do, but got to a point I could not face another IF/Keto/Paleo meal...YMMV

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

miss both, hence the bread cheese chocolate chomp yesterday. But yeah, maybe a higher calorie meal once a week where I don't worry about health or macros.

I also need to make notes on which meals work. The meal I couldn't face was shrimps and tofu with loads of vegetables in coconut milk & a little bit of red curry paste & lemon juice. I think I did the tofu and prawns wrong because it all tasted like refrigerator water. Disgusting. But today I made some roast aubergine, tomato & beef strips with spices & cottage cheese and it was delicious.

Good idea to make note of what works.  I think getting the right spices really helps since you don't have much fat or carbs to give it flavor. I've been thinking abou this today, partly because I was on vacation and  tomorrow it's back to  the plan. I do higher protein for satiety and also because it is supposed to help you not lose muscle. However if all I eat is lean protein, I might not be physically hungry, but my brain tells me I need something more. I may try a little lower protein and some more fat and carbs and see if that helps me stay on track

• Like 2

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

6 hours ago, Keladris said:

Am down to 75kg today! Wasn't quite expecting that as I've been 76kg most of the week (albeit weighing in at random times of day).

I'm getting very close to my target weight. 1kg to go. Part of my wants to keep losing, but I think it might be a good idea to maintain and get used to my new body before making any decisions about getting any slimmer. 

My waist is fluctuating a lot, but I'm getting close to the 28inch goal which would put me in 'medium' sized clothing (size 8 US).

Nice! Can't hurt to do a little while at maintenance and see how you feel. And medium seems like a good place to be.

3 hours ago, RES said:

I think the best meal plan is the one you can stick with...I get it, I really do, but got to a point I could not face another IF/Keto/Paleo meal...YMMV

I wonder how all the people eating 1g or more of protein per lb manage it? Yeah, paleo didn't quite work for me. I felt better with more meat but I can't live off fibre and protein. Milk is life. And sometimes I want more carbs. Gonna introduce some potatoes to some of my meals and keep eating the oats. But things like bread and pasta just seem too high in calories to fit in except in tiny disappointing amounts? And I had to learn that a serving of cheese is 30g, not a chunk the size of a small parrot.

Good idea to make note of what works.  I think getting the right spices really helps since you don't have much fat or carbs to give it flavor. I've been thinking abou this today, partly because I was on vacation and  tomorrow it's back to  the plan. I do higher protein for satiety and also because it is supposed to help you not lose muscle. However if all I eat is lean protein, I might not be physically hungry, but my brain tells me I need something more. I may try a little lower protein and some more fat and carbs and see if that helps me stay on track

There are lots of low cal flavours! Spices, capers, jalepenos, soy sauce. And it's usually not many calories to add some miso, or sriracha. One thing I like is boiled eggs sliced with salt and curry powder.

I agree on the protein. I have read all the reasons we need it. But there's such a massive gap between the formal minimum recommendations and the optimal recommendations of bodybuilding websites. I do sometimes feel like I need more carbs--sometimes I feel sick at the prospect of a savoury breakfast (high protein/fat), sometimes I feel sick at the idea of a sweet meal (high carbs with fruit). It's good to have a couple of options and just go with what I feel that day. I don't get as much protein on days I eat oats & fruit, but if the whole body say carbs plz, who am I to refuse?

• Like 2

I just can't seem to get below 70.  A real set point - i've not even seen a 69.anything yet.

I'm falling for that saying - nothing will change if nothing changes - so I need to be doing something different.

It's hard the next few weeks with many family birthdays.  This time last year we were in full lockdown therefore no social eating.

• Like 2

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

If there were an award for "consistency," I think I would get it. My Monday weigh-ins have ranged between 146.8 and 146.2.

I mostly joined the challenge because I was afraid of gaining while taking a (forced) break from running. So in that sense, it's going well... but I really do want to lose a few pounds. It's clearly not happening very fast with my current method. Going to count calories this week, and see if I can get a solid drop. I'm also going to be able to exercise more in the coming weeks, so I think I could be in a reasonably good position.

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

1 hour ago, Xena said:

If there were an award for "consistency," I think I would get it. My Monday weigh-ins have ranged between 146.8 and 146.2.

I mostly joined the challenge because I was afraid of gaining while taking a (forced) break from running. So in that sense, it's going well... but I really do want to lose a few pounds. It's clearly not happening very fast with my current method. Going to count calories this week, and see if I can get a solid drop. I'm also going to be able to exercise more in the coming weeks, so I think I could be in a reasonably good position.

I know that  a good portion of weight loss is from diet, but exercising and burning calories makes it a lot easier. I think the fact that you maintained while not being able to run is a big win.  Now that you have the bike, it will probably be much easier to lose

• Like 2

Hey all, I'm still here - just this whole moving thing plus the vaccine thing has been taking all of my extra energy.

Still focusing on protein and lots of veggies and keeping sweets to a minimum. 

I'm not weighing in this week or next week because my scale is packed in a box and headed to a storage unit. I'll weigh in again after I get in to Rurik's.

It'll be a different scale than I've been weighing on so that will be interesting but I'm just gonna go with whatever it says and not overthink it.  

• Like 4
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Weighed in today. We had a mini vacation Thursday-Sunday, during which I didn't try and lose weight. I weighed in at 127.4 Which is about the same as last week. I didn't really expect to lose weight, so that's fine. Measured my belly and waist, and they were about 1/4" less, so yay on that.

I've been holding it steady on the weight. I've had a break, and now feel more motivated to get back at it. I'm hoping to see the number on the scale go down a bit this week.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Weighed in today. We had a mini vacation Thursday-Sunday, during which I didn't try and lose weight. I weighed in at 127.4 Which is about the same as last week. I didn't really expect to lose weight, so that's fine. Measured my belly and waist, and they were about 1/4" less, so yay on that.

I've been holding it steady on the weight. I've had a break, and now feel more motivated to get back at it. I'm hoping to see the number on the scale go down a bit this week.

Excellent. Maintaining then continuing when you feel refreshed sounds like the way to go. And minus a quarter inch is a nice bonus!

• Like 2

Week 0: 255.5

Week 1: 257.2

Week 2: 256.4 (down 0.8)

Week 3: 252.6 (down 3.8)

Week 4: 253.6 (up 1.0)

I gained a pound this week but I'm not too worried about it.  I had a big loss the day before and a lot of life got in the way of my meal plans for last week so there was a lot of going out for dinner.  So the gain is expected and I have no plans to get derailed this week so I was expecting to recover.  I am a little discouraged now that it is midweek.  My daily weigh ins are going up despite my food choices returning to normal.  But this discouragement is just a reflection of where my mind is at, not my body or weight loss.  I know if I just keep at it that the scale number will move in the right direction.  Work has been stressful recently, which I'm betting is both contributing to my mental discouragement and the temporary uptick on the scale.  Boo stress.  

• Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Is it too late to jump in to this?

I'm on a weight loss mission at the moment (the ultimate goal is 40 pounds but for now it's 25 pounds by the end of July).

Even though I've only started dieting this week, the goal would be 12+ pounds by early June, which makes this challenge ideal.

Even took my waist measurement this morning... 🙂

• Like 6

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

6 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Is it too late to jump in to this?

I'm on a weight loss mission at the moment (the ultimate goal is 40 pounds but for now it's 25 pounds by the end of July).

Even though I've only started dieting this week, the goal would be 12+ pounds by early June, which makes this challenge ideal.

Even took my waist measurement this morning... 🙂

It's never too late!!  Welcome. 

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

11 hours ago, Shello said:

I know if I just keep at it that the scale number will move in the right direction. 

Right on!

11 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Good luck!

I have become accustomed to seeing red numbers on MFP, and am less strict about my limit than when I started. The chocolate in particular is creeping up on me. I wonder if another bitter month (no added sugar) is needed.

• Like 1

Start weight: 106.8 kg

25/04 weight: 105.1 kg (-1.7 kg)

• Like 2

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

I've maintained this week at 75kg, which I'm very happy with. The last six weeks have been lose half a kilo then maintain for a week x 3. 

I've also taken some measurements and compared them with the beginning of the last 10 week challenge. It's quite a difference!

Beginning:

Waist 32.5"

Hips 42"

Upper arm" 13.5

Thigh 28"

Now:

Waist 28.8"

Hips 39"

Upper arm 11.2"

Thigh 26.5"

I updated my progress pics too which is quite motivating. Although it's also difficult not to keep being critical of myself and wanting to lose more and more. I think a maintenance period when I get to that 74kg target so I can adjust to my new body and make a decision about any further weight loss in a few months when my perspective is more balanced. 

This week I'm going back to calorie counting to keep me on track. Not been eating quite as well as I was.

• Like 6

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

7 hours ago, Keladris said:

I've maintained this week at 75kg, which I'm very happy with. The last six weeks have been lose half a kilo then maintain for a week x 3. 

I've also taken some measurements and compared them with the beginning of the last 10 week challenge. It's quite a difference!

Beginning:

Waist 32.5"

Hips 42"

Upper arm" 13.5

Thigh 28"

Now:

Waist 28.8"

Hips 39"

Upper arm 11.2"

Thigh 26.5"

I updated my progress pics too which is quite motivating. Although it's also difficult not to keep being critical of myself and wanting to lose more and more. I think a maintenance period when I get to that 74kg target so I can adjust to my new body and make a decision about any further weight loss in a few months when my perspective is more balanced. 

This week I'm going back to calorie counting to keep me on track. Not been eating quite as well as I was.

Woot! Congrats on all those inches lost!

• Like 2

I've finally broken through the 70kg barrier (69.5).  I can't remember when I was 60 anything.  My weight is very stable so hopefully I'll keep this sub 70 weight for the next few weeks to build some momentum.

• Like 5

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Looking at my scale trend I’d say I’m due for a bit of course correction 😅

It’s been super stressful at work, plus provincial lockdown has put the kibosh on my go-to never-fail daily walking commute. I know perfectly well that I could just walk the same distance, or bike, run, etc, but somehow working movement in intentionally is a lot harder than when it just used to be an ambient part of the day. 

Talking to my choir friends last week, most everyone’s weight has changed pretty substantially over the last year- many way up, a few way down. 

BIG NEWS here (not scale related) is that I got my first shot yesterday!!! And booked in for shot 2 middle of August. Getting that done somehow makes me *feel* way lighter mentally even if not manifested physically yet. That good momentum carried me through my first strength workout in weeks (bodyweight 4A, woo),  met my step goal for first time in a while, and felt too euphoric to snack after dinner. Thus the tiny little down tick at the end of the weight graph!

9.5 more weeks in my hella stressful work role, then things will simmer down to a more customary fun level. I’d love to cross that finish line leaner and stronger than I am now. But I now have a baseline level of gratitude for every day that I’m healthy and covid-free.

50633468-3D46-4757-A6AB-40D852EAD575.jpeg

• Like 4