Weight Loss PVP: 10/12 lbs in 10/12 Weeks! [Mar 22 - June 7]

My weigh in was a bit more than I wanted, but  hey I guess that's good for the PVP start.

128.8 lbs  30.75" around my waist at belly. 

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Weighed in at 170.7, which I’m happy with considering I went pretty off the rails this weekend. Good starting point and looking forward to breaking 160 for the first time in years by the end of this thing. 

• Like 6

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Jumping in.

Taking my boat to the keys for the first week in June and I am right around 170lbs. I have 10 weeks until my trip and want to dip below 160 so ~ 11lbs of loss in 10 weeks. I am eating whole foods and trying to exercise daily. Cutting most alcohol out as well. I have had very poor challenges in the past few years and remembered when I was full swing really enjoying NF in like 2015 I did more PvPs.

Ship Wreck Sites - Florida Keys Experience

• Like 7

OCEAN RANGER

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

2 X IRONMAN, 3 X half IRONMAN, 3 X GORUCK Challenge, 2 X GORUCK back to back, Way too many GORUCK lights

I'm trying to really reduce the calories that I drink in order to eat more fresh and solid food, but I'll admit the hunger is niggling at me throughout the day. I'm wondering if it might be effective to implement cheat meals or break weeks occasionally (for it seems like it could take many months to get down to where I'd like). Allegedly two weeks at maintenance can undo some of the hormonal adaptations to a sustained deficit. But that's two weeks of not losing weight. Hmmm.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm trying to really reduce the calories that I drink in order to eat more fresh and solid food, but I'll admit the hunger is niggling at me throughout the day. I'm wondering if it might be effective to implement cheat meals or break weeks occasionally (for it seems like it could take many months to get down to where I'd like). Allegedly two weeks at maintenance can undo some of the hormonal adaptations to a sustained deficit. But that's two weeks of not losing weight. Hmmm.

I would try to find something low calorie that you really like. Maybe diet soda or something crunchy like carrots?

• Like 2

OCEAN RANGER

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

2 X IRONMAN, 3 X half IRONMAN, 3 X GORUCK Challenge, 2 X GORUCK back to back, Way too many GORUCK lights

4 minutes ago, doctorake said:

I would try to find something low calorie that you really like. Maybe diet soda or something crunchy like carrots?

I could fit in 100g of carrots today. Not sure if I want to, but I could 🙃 I don't want to snack all the time, though, so maybe I should just use more veggies to make my meals a little bigger instead... (I've just seen Spezzy's 600g veggie jars and am impressed).

• Like 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Here's a tidbit I got from Noom.  Their food categories are evidently based on calories and food weight.  Evidently our body's immediate hunger satiety is based on weight.  We feel just as full from 6 ounces of ice cream compared to 6 ounces of lettuce.  So if one food has 500 calories for 6 ounces and another has 500 calories from 1 ounce, you'll feel much more full by the 6 ounce 500 calories.  Their 'green' foods are  ones with less calories per mass so you can have more mass to feel full but less calories overall.  'Red' foods are the opposite.  

• Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

4 minutes ago, Shello said:

Here's a tidbit I got from Noom.  Their food categories are evidently based on calories and food weight.  Evidently our body's immediate hunger satiety is based on weight.  We feel just as full from 6 ounces of ice cream compared to 6 ounces of lettuce.  So if one food has 500 calories for 6 ounces and another has 500 calories from 1 ounce, you'll feel much more full by the 6 ounce 500 calories.  Their 'green' foods are  ones with less calories per mass so you can have more mass to feel full but less calories overall.  'Red' foods are the opposite.  

I haven't used Noom's system, but I like this graphic about "bulk in the stomach"

bulkydiet.jpg

Which helps explain, too, why we don't feel full immediately from things like nuts (they'd be the same space as oil, really). 

A lot of these foods are extremely healthy and nutritious so the goal isn't to shift away from them completely, but to also include a lot of veggies and 'bulk' foods if you want that full feeling :)

I always weigh and measure my oils, nuts, etc - foods that are less bulk, but unless i'm in a counting calories phase, or set goals around it, I rarely measure veggies, because I'll get full before I eat too many of them hah!

• Like 7
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
26 minutes ago, Shello said:

18 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I haven't used Noom's system, but I like this graphic about "bulk in the stomach"

Which helps explain, too, why we don't feel full immediately from things like nuts (they'd be the same space as oil, really). 

A lot of these foods are extremely healthy and nutritious so the goal isn't to shift away from them completely, but to also include a lot of veggies and 'bulk' foods if you want that full feeling :)

I always weigh and measure my oils, nuts, etc - foods that are less bulk, but unless i'm in a counting calories phase, or set goals around it, I rarely measure veggies, because I'll get full before I eat too many of them hah!

I am indeed trying to eat high volume/low calorie stuff. I think I'm doing okay on that?:

Spoiler

meals today were: 2 boiled eggs with 150g baked beans and 100g spinach; 45g oats and 170ml 1.5% milk with 1 pear and 15g sultanas; 100g tofu and 280g grilled vegetables with miso, ginger & soy sauce (no oil); 200g cottage cheese with small orange & 50g blueberries. Milk for tea, and, um, 22g chocolate.

I could cut out the chocolate for sure, but it was nice. I have 100 cal left so I could probably fit a bit more veg in as well as the other stuff, but I don't really want to cut any of the other stuff out... I feel like I've trimmed down the really high calorie stuff in my meals, as well as the general meal size, quite a bit already compared to what I usually eat. Anyway, the hunger isn't awful or anything, just a little annoying. I guess my body knows it's getting a deficit. I suppose it gets easier with practice to just be a little hungry? And I was feeling less hungry last week so maybe it's a cyclical thing?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I could cut out the chocolate for sure

FTFY. 

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

51 minutes ago, spezzy said:

always weigh and measure my oils, nuts, etc - foods that are less bulk, but unless i'm in a counting calories phase, or set goals around it, I rarely measure veggies,

Same here. I don't think I gained too much weight because I ate too much broccoli. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Shello said:

How do you like Noom?

OCEAN RANGER

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

1 hour ago, doctorake said:

How do you like Noom?

Yes and no.  It has more to offer than most other systems but as a long time rebel I find I can get a lot of that content here and it's better.  The daily lessons are good information if it's new to you, still good even if it's not new, but a lot of it I have encountered here already.  They have a social aspect too that NF does way better.  Their food categories have been working really well for me but I am starting to realize it might be difficult to transition when I don't have access to the app anymore to log food according to the categories.  They have a goal coach too.  Mine is good but I've already done my goal work here so I don't have much left to bounce off of her.  Sometimes I'll be struggling with something and the coach is good at asking the right thought provoking questions to lead you to a possible solution.    In general, it was worth it for me because I was struggling with my challenges here and finding it difficult to stay engaged.  Noom got me all fired up again so that's something I'll pay for if I have to. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

I could fit in 100g of carrots today. Not sure if I want to, but I could 🙃 I don't want to snack all the time, though, so maybe I should just use more veggies to make my meals a little bigger instead... (I've just seen Spezzy's 600g veggie jars and am impressed).

Also carrots are my go-to snack.  150g is something like 60 calories and there are a lot of different ways to jazz them up.  I've been doing Frank's buffalo ranch powder lately, but today I tried a dash of lime juice with a cajun seasoning I have... hot damn!  So tasty.  Seasonings stick to whole carrots so nicely!  Gonna try growing my own this year because I remember how delicious garden carrots were...

Also mandating 500g+ veggies per day was really a huge takeaway from last PVP for me.  Most days I get 600g (where do you think she got it from 😆) and I know that volume helps keep me fully.  I'm usually on the freggy train so I have a few different varieties and just heat up 250-300g of veg for my two meals.  I cannot exaggerate enough whow much it helps, plus they're both like 80-100 calories each so a lot of bang for my buck.

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

I could cut out the chocolate for sure, but it was nice. 

My 'treatsanity' is allowing 2tbsp of dark or semi-sweet chocolate every day with my bedtime protein cookies.  It's a compliance tool which keeps me in-line the rest of the day knowing I have something resembling a treat coming at the end of the day, but that's also the first place to adjust if I'm high on calories or carbs for the day... so the incentive is there to behave the rest of the day and enjoy that before bed.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm in. Need to weigh myself still. I'm looking to lose a bit, but mostly concerned about not gaining. I'm a distance runner currently not running due to injury. I'm doing other exercise, but I'm definitely not burning as much as I did running.

HIIIIIII XENAAAAAAAAAA

• Like 4

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Also carrots are my go-to snack.  150g is something like 60 calories and there are a lot of different ways to jazz them up.  I've been doing Frank's buffalo ranch powder lately, but today I tried a dash of lime juice with a cajun seasoning I have... hot damn!  So tasty.  Seasonings stick to whole carrots so nicely!  Gonna try growing my own this year because I remember how delicious garden carrots were..

Oooooh I actually have easy access to carrots in chip form. 

You just shake the seasoning on top or on in a bag? 

I really need to try this, can imagine some of these flavors tasting fantastic on fried or  baked  cabbage 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Also carrots are my go-to snack.  150g is something like 60 calories and there are a lot of different ways to jazz them up.  I've been doing Frank's buffalo ranch powder lately, but today I tried a dash of lime juice with a cajun seasoning I have... hot damn!  So tasty.  Seasonings stick to whole carrots so nicely!  Gonna try growing my own this year because I remember how delicious garden carrots were...

Also mandating 500g+ veggies per day was really a huge takeaway from last PVP for me.  Most days I get 600g (where do you think she got it from 😆) and I know that volume helps keep me fully.  I'm usually on the freggy train so I have a few different varieties and just heat up 250-300g of veg for my two meals.  I cannot exaggerate enough whow much it helps, plus they're both like 80-100 calories each so a lot of bang for my buck.

My 'treatsanity' is allowing 2tbsp of dark or semi-sweet chocolate every day with my bedtime protein cookies.  It's a compliance tool which keeps me in-line the rest of the day knowing I have something resembling a treat coming at the end of the day, but that's also the first place to adjust if I'm high on calories or carbs for the day... so the incentive is there to behave the rest of the day and enjoy that before bed.

Those seasonings do sound nice. Okay, I'm going to have a think about what nice veg are easy to prepare and add to anything. I think I'm getting at least 100g of fruit or veg with each meal, but I can increase, especially the veg.

• Like 4

On 3/22/2021 at 2:36 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Does anyone have a plan that helped them?

So I kind of jumped in without  catching up on the thread :)

My plan last challenge was: before I reach for a snack in between meals, stop and acknowledge what it likely is. Boredom? Insufficient nutrients? Drink some water, log mindful reflection in challenge thread or in voice recording, and/or grab a healthy snack, wait for 10 mins to see if the craving is over, or do a little dance to get the endorphines going or meditation or something else that is fun but not too off-track of my daily planning :)

Go Kestel!!!!

• Like 7

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

Hey all - I'm in.

I've been on a platau for ages so I'm just thinking that I can't expect anything different unless I do something different.  I'm low carb (not quite keto) for a good amount of time and it's not doing anything other than maintenace (which itself makes the food choices worthwhile).

I'm going to - stop the artifical sweetner snacks

Track my meals for the first week (then we will see after that - I'm just commmiting to one week)

Get back on the herbal tea which counts as water drinking

Keep up - a couple of cardio sessions a week and a couple of gym sessions

Low carb

• Like 7

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

2 hours ago, doctorake said:

So I weigh myself daily.

This morning Tuesday I weighed 2 lbs more than on Monday. AGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. O well I understand that it fluctuates.

It's SO ANNOYING especially if you're relying on those little numbers for motivation. I had a plateau week and it finally surrendered today. Yours will, too. Stay mighty!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

12 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Oooooh I actually have easy access to carrots in chip form. 

You just shake the seasoning on top or on in a bag? 

I really need to try this, can imagine some of these flavors tasting fantastic on fried or baked cabbage 

I usually throw my veggies in a small Tupperware and just sprinkle my seasoning on top, then shake for coverage!

It works for most veggies honestly.

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Those seasonings do sound nice. Okay, I'm going to have a think about what nice veg are easy to prepare and add to anything. I think I'm getting at least 100g of fruit or veg with each meal, but I can increase, especially the veg.

It's always fun to experiment with new seasonings too.  Some work great with veggies, others not so much!  Plus not all veggies are quite so palatable, for example I'm not a fan of green peppers by themselves!

4 hours ago, doctorake said:

Thanks pusher man. Now I may have a new drug of choice. They also have franks red hot powder.

I'm strangely okay with hooking people on seasonings 🤣

3 hours ago, doctorake said:

So I weigh myself daily.

This morning Tuesday I weighed 2 lbs more than on Monday. AGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. O well I understand that it fluctuates.

Yeah, I was down to 208 the other day then up to 211 by mid-afternoon, then down to 209 the next day, and 208 again today... I like to weigh myself at different times throughout the day just to dispel the scale shock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager