Elennare Prepares the Way

This is mostly a placeholder at the moment, but I wanted to jot down some thoughts to get started. We'll see if I leave this and then write a "proper" "first post" later, or just edit this one.

This challenge, plus the two zero weeks on either side of it pretty much exactly cover the time span I have to get everything ready to move. So, a lot of this challenge is going to be me working on that and adjusting to my new job. Which is going to require me to start at 6am because everyone else is in the eastern time zone while I am in the pacific. I guess that means I'm going to be forced to work on my sleep habits, because if I don't, I'll die. :)

Also planning to keep my daily exercise habit going. I think I've got a fairly good handle on this one, even if I did miss a few days this month. Might try to do some harder stuff, may have to scale back. Going to be very flexible, as long as I do something, because there's lots of crazy going on.

Tomorrow marks 90 days until summer starts. I want to try to get in good shape by then, or as least as much as possible. So, I think for now I'm going to avoid grains and cut back on added sugar - one coffee in the morning and one treat a week max. With a few planned exceptions, like the macarons I'm going to make shortly (don't know when, exactly, but I going to make them!) . If that goes well and I'm not feeling overwhelmed by that plus the moving stuff, I may try to add in something to clean up my diet further, but I think that's a good start for now.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47yoj8jd6slc2od1y3ga

This actually has more of a plan than I thought it would, so I guess I will leave it as-is. Maybe come back and add some Mandalorian gifs (edit: done :) ), even if the costume is now on hold until after the move.

• Like 3

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Sounds like an exciting move! Best of luck getting everything together for it - that's a challenge in and of itself sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up on the 90 days to summer thing too - wow, I didn't realize it was coming up that fast!

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:13 PM, Elennare said:

Which is going to require me to start at 6am because everyone else is in the eastern time zone while I am in the pacific. I guess that means I'm going to be forced to work on my sleep habits, because if I don't, I'll die. :)

6am is harsh... But it won't last forever and I can attest: if you get up so early every day, you also very soon will get sleepy at an earlier time every day and everything will be more or less fine. :D You can do this!! :) 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

7 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

6am is harsh... But it won't last forever and I can attest: if you get up so early every day, you also very soon will get sleepy at an earlier time every day and everything will be more or less fine. :D You can do this!! :) 

I've tried  having an early schedule before, and it turns out that no, I don't adjust to it, I get sick.  Which is one of several reasons I am convinced my body isn't wired for a "normal" sleep schedule.

Well, my 90 days till summer thing is...going.  Forgot to take measurements and "start" pictures today (eh, tomorrow will be close enough).  Did pretty ok with my food, especially considering I didn't really prep anything.

But...

I was still kind of messed up from Friday yesterday, even though I was feeling a lot better.  That decided to manifest as me not sleeping last night.  Like, at all.  Didn't fall asleep until some time around 1am, and then woke up every couple of hours, either because of the cat yelling or for no reason at all.

And it's not looking like my plan to exercise more is going to happen today.  The demon job from Friday is back.  I had everything come in for review at once this afternoon, and had what turned out to be several complicated things in addition to the demon job.  I've now worked 3 hours of OT today, and between Friday and today that puts me over a full extra day worked.  And I'm still not done for today.  So, yeah, not looking good for having any time to do exercise tonight, and really not looking good for having enough energy to do anything more than some light yoga. :(

Edit: ended up with 4.3 hours of overtime today.
Apparently this job has decided to make the point about why I need to get out strongly enough that even stupid brain can't come up with a compelling reason for me to stay!

• Sad 1

Yesterday was not great.  Didn't sleep well Monday night, had more overtime that messed my plans up ("only" 1.2 hours), didn't drink enough water, and ended up having a cashew milk milkshake.  And then forgetting to do a couple push ups before bed.  But I tracked everything, so, ya know, there's that at least.  Did manage to get to bed at a reasonable hour, and slept ok, which is an improvement.

Hope today will be better! :) 

But you are right, tracking everything and at least sleeping ok is great. ❤️ 

How long do you have to do the old job? I think I remember you saying until Friday, but I'm not too sure anymore? That would be only two days to go!! :) 

• Like 1

I have some catch up to do.

My food has been all over the place this week, but I am not going to worry about it. You ever read an article about burn out and they interview someone who had it so bad they collapsed at work and ended up in the hospital for a week, and you're like "how the heck does that happen? Can't you tell you're getting close to that before it happens?" Well, Wednesday I understood. I was feeling very much like I was only another day or two away from something like that. So I have kind of been just taking it easy, as much as possible the rest of this week. I will get back on top of things when I'm feeling better.

Wednesday I ended up with another hour and a half of overtime.
Thursday, which was my last day at the old job, I didn't have any jobs assigned to me. At the morning meeting, there were several unassigned jobs, and no one was volunteering for the last one. It didn't sound too hard, so I took. I needed something to do! But apparently that wasn't expected, because everyone sounded surprised. I guess it's probably different if you have a desk you need to pack up, but I didn't. I didn't have any overtime on Thursday! And all my coworkers said really nice things about me. I had no idea a bunch of the newer engineers on the team looked up to me that much. I guess I was doing a pretty good job of being a leader, I was just quiet about it.

Friday I started the new job! They had to move the morning meeting a half hour later, so I got to sleep in a bit vs what I'm going to be doing, which was nice. I still don't entirely know what my job entails, but I do know I'm working on the actuators that steer the rocket by moving the exhaust nozzles. I don't know if I'll have just the actuators, or some other parts of the system as well, but I do know I'm specifically working on the ones for the rocket that's slated to land people on the moon! This is literally a dream come true! Like, whenever I watch a show about the Apollo missions, or the early space program, and they show the engineers, I've said I want to be those people. And now I am those people! As far as the actual day went, it was a couple meetings (one where I had no idea what was going on, and one where the people I am going to be working with introduced themselves to me), and training. Very painful training, because it was bad. So bad, and so long. But it's almost done, and then I shouldn't have to do it again, ever. And I got to sign off on time, which was awesome.

I maybe acquired too many desserts, as well. I forgot I had ice cream in the freezer, so I picked up some small frozen treats while I was at the store for something else, and then decided to also pick up a cheesecake to celebrate new job with. And somehow in the process of doing that, I forgot to get coffee creamer. Oops. Lol.

Got to catch up on my sleep today, which was lovely. I have gone from feeling like a zombie to feeling like a vampire. Still undead, but much more animated. Got some work to do, but I think I may be able to slowly dig myself out of this hole, as long as I can keep going to bed on time.

Exercise has been pretty much non-existent, beyond the bare minimum to say I did some. But I think that's fair, given how I've been feeling. I'm trying to be healthy, and pushing through my body saying "hol' up!" is not going to help anything. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to something "real" soon. Tomorrow is supposed to be super warm - upper 80s (!), so maybe I'll go roller skating.

• Like 2

Congratulations on starting the new job! Your old one sounds incredibly stressful - hopefully this one has a better schedule so you have more energy and can get into a better routine. And it sounds incredibly exciting - designing rockets for space travel!? That's amazing! 

8 hours ago, Elennare said:

Exercise has been pretty much non-existent, beyond the bare minimum to say I did some. But I think that's fair, given how I've been feeling. I'm trying to be healthy, and pushing through my body saying "hol' up!" is not going to help anything. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to something "real" soon. Tomorrow is supposed to be super warm - upper 80s (!), so maybe I'll go roller skating.

Do you roller skate outside? I've been thinking that it might be fun to try and could be a good alternative to a bike for getting quickly from point A to point B (not to mention fun cardio). I literally have no experience besides some roller skating rink birthday parties as a kid, though. 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

16 hours ago, Elennare said:

I don't know if I'll have just the actuators, or some other parts of the system as well, but I do know I'm specifically working on the ones for the rocket that's slated to land people on the moon! This is literally a dream come true! Like, whenever I watch a show about the Apollo missions, or the early space program, and they show the engineers, I've said I want to be those people. And now I am those people!

This is sooooo soooo cool!!

16 hours ago, Elennare said:

Exercise has been pretty much non-existent, beyond the bare minimum to say I did some.

I think that is really excusable after the long hours on your old job, you had... I bet you can find a new exercise routine with the new job. :) 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:47 AM, Alanna said:

Do you roller skate outside? I've been thinking that it might be fun to try and could be a good alternative to a bike for getting quickly from point A to point B (not to mention fun cardio). I literally have no experience besides some roller skating rink birthday parties as a kid, though. 

I do!  It's a ton of fun.  Depending on what you're doing, it's perhaps not a great option vs biking for practical stuff, but it is tons of fun and indeed great cardio.  I can (and will) talk for hours about skating, so if you're interested, perhaps it would be better if you let me know what sort of info/advice you were looking for before I dumped a whole bunch of useless stuff on you. :)  But I am more than happy to share everything I know.

Sunday update: Sunday ended up being another collapse day.  Everyone needed it.  I felt a little bad about "wasting" the absolute beautiful day we had, but doing things was just too much work.  Also had an interesting situation happen.  The screen on our screen door has been tearing, right were it meets the frame, for a while now.  Apparently the hole is now big enough that, if she wants to, the cat can squeeze through it.  Discovered when we noticed the cat outside when the door hadn't been left open.  So fixing that has now been bumped up much higher on the to-do list!  There is a small chance that she actually snuck outside when one of the little boys went out, but we're pretty sure she was still inside after the last one came back in and closed the door.  Which means her walking "through" the door is the most likely situation, and that's not ok. :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elennare said:

I do!  It's a ton of fun.  Depending on what you're doing, it's perhaps not a great option vs biking for practical stuff, but it is tons of fun and indeed great cardio.  I can (and will) talk for hours about skating, so if you're interested, perhaps it would be better if you let me know what sort of info/advice you were looking for before I dumped a whole bunch of useless stuff on you. :)  But I am more than happy to share everything I know.

I'd love to get some beginner skating advice! Maybe some pros, cons, and caveats would be a good starting place, as well as what types of skates and safety equipment would be good to get. I have a few ideas of what could be useful and, fun, but I'm not sure which of these are realistic:

• Skating for fun on quiet residential streets or on asphalt paths in parks. I'm in the UK, and I think skating is legal on both streets and pavements (sidewalks).
  • Skating so it's easier/faster to reach other areas than by walking. My partner and I want to buy a house this year, and with our budget we're probably moving a little further out from amenities. It would be nice to cut down a, say, 45 min walk to shops or a park. I'm not sure how much I could carry in a backpack while wearing skates, though - I'm thinking small purchases like a book, a couple grocery items, or one item of clothing. I'm also not sure how easy/annoying it would be to carry skates while going for a walk somewhere that's not skating friendly.
  • Maybe commuting when the weather is good? I'm just not sure how easy it would be to carry a light computer, charger, and lunch. And would any wet weather make skating dangerous, or are there wet weather skates?

The other nice thing is we do have a good metro system and taking skates on a metro is a lot easier than taking a bike (especially since bikes are only allowed at certain times and between certain stations).

I'm also not sure how intense skating is - I'm looking for something that's probably equivalent to a brisk walk or slow bike ride, cardio-wise. I'm assuming that you can modulate the intensity depending on things like speed and inclines?

I also have absolutely no idea how much decent skating equipment would cost!

18 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

But aren't cats quantum objects and can tunnel through walls and doors as they please regardless? :D 

Trying to stop her is futile.

tumblr_mit54v2NhA1qdlh1io1_400.gif

You also say the screen "has been tearing." Are you sure she's not responsible? 😅

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

I'd love to get some beginner skating advice! Maybe some pros, cons, and caveats would be a good starting place, as well as what types of skates and safety equipment would be good to get.

Safety gear, then skates, then general skating tips!

You will absolutely want safety gear for outside.  You can get away with it without too much risk for skating at a rink, but outside in the wild, you will run into things like sticks and uneven pavement, which can mess your day up right quick if you don't have safety gear on.  You will want knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet.  Fancier/nicer pads (knee especially) will have more padding in them, which is nice if you're going to fall a lot, but if you're a complete beginner, it's ok to get the cheaper pads to start (you'll be moving slowing to begin with, so you won't fall as hard).  If you are going for the fancy pads, I'd suggest going to a skate shop to get fitted, if possible.  If you're going with cheaper ones, the set from the local sporting goods store should do the job.  Absolutely do not skimp on a helmet.  In a pinch, a bike helmet will do, but skating helmets are better for skating.  S1 is my favorite brand, but Triple 8, and...nutcases (I think) are the other good brands I'm aware of.  Stay away from anything that only has a soft foam liner - those are basically just a helmet-shaped hat and won't provide any real protection.

Skates...first thing is to pick what style you want.  The most popular styles are the ones that look like figure skating boots, and speed skating boots.  There's a whole bunch of other choices out there, but those two styles are what most of the beginner skates come in.  A good pair of beginner skates will run you around $100 new.  You can get away with cheaper ones for a bit as an absolute beginner, but it won't be very long before they're holding you back, and there's a good chance they'll fall apart on you.  Toe covers are a good investment for making the skates last longer - they prevent you from wearing through the stitching holding the front of the boot together, which isn't something that can be fixed.  You want a sturdy boot, but it shouldn't hurt your foot.  Nylon plates are cheaper, but generally lower end.  Unless you're very large, they are just fine, and if it's working and you're just skating around for fun, there's probably no real reason to get a fancier metal plate unless you want to.  I highly recommend you get a skate with adjustable trucks and an adjustable toe stop (vs a bolt on one).  Make sure you get outdoor wheels - either they come with the skate or buy a set separately.  Trying to skate outside wearing indoor wheels is a recipe for misery - your wheels will get stuck/stop on everything, instead of rolling over small objects like outdoor wheels will.

Number one tip for skating - get lower.  Yes, really.  :)  Number two is to bend your ankles, not just your knees, when you're getting lower.  You'll also want to shift your weight fully between feet when skating.  If you try to keep your weight on both feet, it won't work very well.  I also highly recommend watching tutorials on youtube.  Dirty's School of Skate has good videos, but there's lots of options!

Skating for fun on quiet residential streets or on asphalt paths in parks. I'm in the UK, and I think skating is legal on both streets and pavements (sidewalks)

I can't comment on the legalities, but there are upsides and downsides to both options.  Street is easier because there tends to be less cracks and plant detritus that can grab your wheels, but then you also have to dodge cars.  Sidewalk avoids the cars, but you've got to deal with a bumpier ride.

• Skating so it's easier/faster to reach other areas than by walking. My partner and I want to buy a house this year, and with our budget we're probably moving a little further out from amenities. It would be nice to cut down a, say, 45 min walk to shops or a park. I'm not sure how much I could carry in a backpack while wearing skates, though - I'm thinking small purchases like a book, a couple grocery items, or one item of clothing. I'm also not sure how easy/annoying it would be to carry skates while going for a walk somewhere that's not skating friendly.
  • Maybe commuting when the weather is good? I'm just not sure how easy it would be to carry a light computer, charger, and lunch. And would any wet weather make skating dangerous, or are there wet weather skates?

The other nice thing is we do have a good metro system and taking skates on a metro is a lot easier than taking a bike (especially since bikes are only allowed at certain times and between certain stations).

Once you've got your balance and are comfortable on your skates, it's not that much different to carry stuff in a backpack.  Not recommended, but I've carried a kid while on skates.*  The biggest issue, in my opinion, with commuting via skates, is what to do with your skates and safety gear once you get there.  If you don't mind walking around the store in your pads, not that big of a deal to pop off the skates and put shoes on, and hang your helmet off a strap on your bag, but maybe going in to the office gets a bit trickier.  I guess, experiment and see what works for you!  I'm not aware of any skates made for wet weather, and water + skates is usually a bad combination.  Aside from the water messing up your trucks and bearings, wet surfaces lose friction, which makes stopping and turning much harder.

I'm also not sure how intense skating is - I'm looking for something that's probably equivalent to a brisk walk or slow bike ride, cardio-wise. I'm assuming that you can modulate the intensity depending on things like speed and inclines?

When you first start, it will be pretty intense, until you get used to being in the proper position.  Once you've built up the muscles for that, it's really up to you, just like walking.  Inclines are pretty much always a beast, up and down.  Up, because, well, up. :)  Down, because you've either got to control your speed the whole way down via some sort of stop (which is a workout in it's own right), or risk crashing into whatever's at the bottom (or you can walk, sideways, down it in the grass, if you don't like cannonballing towards uncertain doom :P I recommend this route over hurtling down the hill uncontrolled).

Let me know if I've left something out you were wondering about, or want me to expand on something further!  Or if I should just shut up. :)

• Trying to stop her is futile.

tumblr_mit54v2NhA1qdlh1io1_400.gif

You also say the screen "has been tearing." Are you sure she's not responsible? 😅

She's an indoor cat, and not allowed outside, though.  Which she's well aware of. :)  And, while she has contributed to tearing the screen, mostly by climbing the screen door occasionally, most of the blame falls on the two little boys who like to lean on it while waiting for everyone to finish putting their shoes on.

22 minutes ago, Elennare said:

Safety gear, then skates, then general skating tips!

You will absolutely want safety gear for outside.  You can get away with it without too much risk for skating at a rink, but outside in the wild, you will run into things like sticks and uneven pavement, which can mess your day up right quick if you don't have safety gear on.  You will want knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet.  Fancier/nicer pads (knee especially) will have more padding in them, which is nice if you're going to fall a lot, but if you're a complete beginner, it's ok to get the cheaper pads to start (you'll be moving slowing to begin with, so you won't fall as hard).  If you are going for the fancy pads, I'd suggest going to a skate shop to get fitted, if possible.  If you're going with cheaper ones, the set from the local sporting goods store should do the job.  Absolutely do not skimp on a helmet.  In a pinch, a bike helmet will do, but skating helmets are better for skating.  S1 is my favorite brand, but Triple 8, and...nutcases (I think) are the other good brands I'm aware of.  Stay away from anything that only has a soft foam liner - those are basically just a helmet-shaped hat and won't provide any real protection.

Skates...first thing is to pick what style you want.  The most popular styles are the ones that look like figure skating boots, and speed skating boots.  There's a whole bunch of other choices out there, but those two styles are what most of the beginner skates come in.  A good pair of beginner skates will run you around $100 new.  You can get away with cheaper ones for a bit as an absolute beginner, but it won't be very long before they're holding you back, and there's a good chance they'll fall apart on you.  Toe covers are a good investment for making the skates last longer - they prevent you from wearing through the stitching holding the front of the boot together, which isn't something that can be fixed.  You want a sturdy boot, but it shouldn't hurt your foot.  Nylon plates are cheaper, but generally lower end.  Unless you're very large, they are just fine, and if it's working and you're just skating around for fun, there's probably no real reason to get a fancier metal plate unless you want to.  I highly recommend you get a skate with adjustable trucks and an adjustable toe stop (vs a bolt on one).  Make sure you get outdoor wheels - either they come with the skate or buy a set separately.  Trying to skate outside wearing indoor wheels is a recipe for misery - your wheels will get stuck/stop on everything, instead of rolling over small objects like outdoor wheels will.

Number one tip for skating - get lower.  Yes, really.  :)  Number two is to bend your ankles, not just your knees, when you're getting lower.  You'll also want to shift your weight fully between feet when skating.  If you try to keep your weight on both feet, it won't work very well.  I also highly recommend watching tutorials on youtube.  Dirty's School of Skate has good videos, but there's lots of options!

I can't comment on the legalities, but there are upsides and downsides to both options.  Street is easier because there tends to be less cracks and plant detritus that can grab your wheels, but then you also have to dodge cars.  Sidewalk avoids the cars, but you've got to deal with a bumpier ride.

Once you've got your balance and are comfortable on your skates, it's not that much different to carry stuff in a backpack.  Not recommended, but I've carried a kid while on skates.*  The biggest issue, in my opinion, with commuting via skates, is what to do with your skates and safety gear once you get there.  If you don't mind walking around the store in your pads, not that big of a deal to pop off the skates and put shoes on, and hang your helmet off a strap on your bag, but maybe going in to the office gets a bit trickier.  I guess, experiment and see what works for you!  I'm not aware of any skates made for wet weather, and water + skates is usually a bad combination.  Aside from the water messing up your trucks and bearings, wet surfaces lose friction, which makes stopping and turning much harder.

When you first start, it will be pretty intense, until you get used to being in the proper position.  Once you've built up the muscles for that, it's really up to you, just like walking.  Inclines are pretty much always a beast, up and down.  Up, because, well, up. :)  Down, because you've either got to control your speed the whole way down via some sort of stop (which is a workout in it's own right), or risk crashing into whatever's at the bottom (or you can walk, sideways, down it in the grass, if you don't like cannonballing towards uncertain doom :P I recommend this route over hurtling down the hill uncontrolled).

Let me know if I've left something out you were wondering about, or want me to expand on something further!  Or if I should just shut up. :)

That's really helpful, thank you! I think I'll have to sit on it and consider if it's something I want to pursue (and that the UK weather would stop me from skating too often) before I invested the initial ~£200 or so. I just checked and it looks like I don't have a good skate shop in my city, even though we're the retail central for my region. We do have a couple of outdoor skate parks, but I think skateboarding is more popular - I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone skating outside before. The one shop that sells skates locally only has quad/roller derby skates (are those the figure skating style you mentioned?).

I'm guessing used skates/equipment* would be fine for starting out, too, if they are in good condition?

*except for the helmet, I'm assuming - does skating have the same rule as horseback riding where if you fall and your helmet takes an impact, it needs to be replaced?

Haha, I think walking-downhill-sideways-on-the-grass might be my style - I'm not big on speeding downhill!

I can tell my quads would not initially appreciate this as a new hobby! I've done some martial arts and skiing, and the stance you describe sounds similar to some positions from those disciplines. I'm not surprised that a lower centre of gravity would be advantageous! 

34 minutes ago, Elennare said:

She's an indoor cat, and not allowed outside, though.  Which she's well aware of. :)  And, while she has contributed to tearing the screen, mostly by climbing the screen door occasionally, most of the blame falls on the two little boys who like to lean on it while waiting for everyone to finish putting their shoes on.

Oh, I completely understand the need to keep her in - just not sure she will 😆. Hope the screen repairs (and it sounds like the boy training to keep the screen from being damaged again) go well!

• Like 1

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

5 hours ago, Alanna said:

That's really helpful, thank you! I think I'll have to sit on it and consider if it's something I want to pursue (and that the UK weather would stop me from skating too often) before I invested the initial ~£200 or so. I just checked and it looks like I don't have a good skate shop in my city, even though we're the retail central for my region. We do have a couple of outdoor skate parks, but I think skateboarding is more popular - I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone skating outside before. The one shop that sells skates locally only has quad/roller derby skates (are those the figure skating style you mentioned?).

I'm guessing used skates/equipment* would be fine for starting out, too, if they are in good condition?

*except for the helmet, I'm assuming - does skating have the same rule as horseback riding where if you fall and your helmet takes an impact, it needs to be replaced?

Haha, I think walking-downhill-sideways-on-the-grass might be my style - I'm not big on speeding downhill!

I can tell my quads would not initially appreciate this as a new hobby! I've done some martial arts and skiing, and the stance you describe sounds similar to some positions from those disciplines. I'm not surprised that a lower centre of gravity would be advantageous! 

Oh, I completely understand the need to keep her in - just not sure she will 😆. Hope the screen repairs (and it sounds like the boy training to keep the screen from being damaged again) go well!

I was talking about quad skates, because that's what I know. The figure skating kind have a higher ankle, and the speed skating (aka roller derby skates) kind typically have a low ankle. I can't really give any advice about inlines. Used skates are great! Possibly easier to find right now, too, because the skate companies got slammed at the start of the pandemic and still haven't quite caught up yet. A used helmet is much more of a toss-up. I wouldn't buy one that isn't being sold as unused, and then that's up to you whether you want to risk it. You definitely need to replace the helmet after a hard fall, but the good skate helmets can stand up to minor bumps and small falls, which is why they're better for skating than bike helmets (aside from the shape being slightly better suited for where you tend to hit your head when you fall skating, which isn't quite the same spot as biking).

Yes, quads and butt get a killer workout from skating. Lower center of gravity is absolutely what you want, with your weight centered front-to-back (i.e., don't lean over your toes or heels). Side to side will change some when you're skating. I haven't skied, but it is a similar stance to martial arts.

I also just realized I totally forgot to explain my asterisk about carrying a kid while on skates. Not something to try unless you are a good skater, and even then, it's a bit risky because they can move suddenly and throw you off balance and then you both fall, and that's bad news. So why did I do it? Both times involved said kid falling down, and me not having any other choice. Once in the middle of a parade, and once while crossing the street. And I put him down as soon as was practical - either on the other side of  the street, or when he was feeling better enough to keep skating.

It is a very fun hobby, so best of luck if you go for it. I'm happy to talk more about it any time you want!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elennare said:

I was talking about quad skates, because that's what I know. The figure skating kind have a higher ankle, and the speed skating (aka roller derby skates) kind typically have a low ankle. I can't really give any advice about inlines. Used skates are great! Possibly easier to find right now, too, because the skate companies got slammed at the start of the pandemic and still haven't quite caught up yet.

Based on some skater blogs, it sounds like good used skates might in short supply too due to people looking for creative ways to exercise and commute during the pandemic!

I also noticed that the figure skating kind of skates have a heel - is that to compensate for the decreased ankle mobility from the shoe's higher ankle? Do you have a preference for shoe style? It sounds like the roller derby ones have low ankles to allow for more speed (which isn't a feature I'd want/need) - is that correct? I should also add that while I'm not interested in skatepark style tricks and fancy jumps at this point, I think I would like to train some of the simpler moves both to have more control and because they look fun!

I'm looking through some blogs on brands available in the UK - I might pick your brain re: some pairs if you don't mind :) 

• Like 1

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

On 3/28/2021 at 12:48 AM, Elennare said:

Thursday, which was my last day at the old job, I didn't have any jobs assigned to me. At the morning meeting, there were several unassigned jobs, and no one was volunteering for the last one. It didn't sound too hard, so I took. I needed something to do! But apparently that wasn't expected, because everyone sounded surprised. I guess it's probably different if you have a desk you need to pack up, but I didn't. I didn't have any overtime on Thursday! And all my coworkers said really nice things about me. I had no idea a bunch of the newer engineers on the team looked up to me that much. I guess I was doing a pretty good job of being a leader, I was just quiet about it.

That's so nice! I know you definitely needed to get out, but so glad folks had such kind words to say. 

On 3/28/2021 at 12:48 AM, Elennare said:

Friday I started the new job! They had to move the morning meeting a half hour later, so I got to sleep in a bit vs what I'm going to be doing, which was nice. I still don't entirely know what my job entails, but I do know I'm working on the actuators that steer the rocket by moving the exhaust nozzles. I don't know if I'll have just the actuators, or some other parts of the system as well, but I do know I'm specifically working on the ones for the rocket that's slated to land people on the moon! This is literally a dream come true!

HELL YEAH. THAT IS SO DOPE.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:57 AM, Alanna said:

Based on some skater blogs, it sounds like good used skates might in short supply too due to people looking for creative ways to exercise and commute during the pandemic!

I also noticed that the figure skating kind of skates have a heel - is that to compensate for the decreased ankle mobility from the shoe's higher ankle? Do you have a preference for shoe style? It sounds like the roller derby ones have low ankles to allow for more speed (which isn't a feature I'd want/need) - is that correct? I should also add that while I'm not interested in skatepark style tricks and fancy jumps at this point, I think I would like to train some of the simpler moves both to have more control and because they look fun!

I'm looking through some blogs on brands available in the UK - I might pick your brain re: some pairs if you don't mind :) 

Skates in general are hard to get, but the supply is starting to come back a bit.

I'm honestly not sure about the heel, but it's very possible you're right.  You would have to bend your ankle less to get into the proper skating position with a heel, and you do have less ankle mobility with the higher boot, so that would make sense.  I have a pair of skates in both styles.  I use my speed skates for playing derby, and my heeled skates for just skating around for fun.  I think I probably prefer the speed style, but that's likely due to the fact that that's what I spend the most time in and they are much nicer skates than my "fun" ones.  If you can, I'd recommend trying some of each and see what you like.  For what you've described, there's not really a "better" style and you should go with what you like best.  I would be happy to give you my thoughts on specific skates. :)

2 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

How are you doing after the first few days on the new job? :)

Tired.  I haven't been sleeping well (what's new?), and even when I try to go to bed earlier I don't fall asleep until late, so I've been getting 5-6 hours of sleep.  I've not been taking naps, in the hopes that it will get me to fall asleep earlier, but no luck yet.  I did finally get to talk to someone and find out what I'll actually be doing, and make the beginnings of a plan for me to actually start doing work today, so that's nice.  But, so far, mostly it's "get to know the component," which is also important.

Yesterday, I did a little bit of exercise.  Did not eat great.  Got woken up around 1am by Little Bug sleep walking into his brother's room.  So, I am not doing great today.  Especially since that's all colliding with some mental health stuff that's been bubbling for the last few days.  I may try to take a nap this afternoon.  And then perhaps try to meal plan a bit, so I am eating better and not just eating whatever I can throw together from what's left (hint: it's not much, especially since Husband has flipped into "we're moving mode," which evidently means try to use everything up and not replace it, even though we're a month and a half out and need to eat now).

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:03 PM, Elennare said:

Skates in general are hard to get, but the supply is starting to come back a bit.

I'm honestly not sure about the heel, but it's very possible you're right.  You would have to bend your ankle less to get into the proper skating position with a heel, and you do have less ankle mobility with the higher boot, so that would make sense.  I have a pair of skates in both styles.  I use my speed skates for playing derby, and my heeled skates for just skating around for fun.  I think I probably prefer the speed style, but that's likely due to the fact that that's what I spend the most time in and they are much nicer skates than my "fun" ones.  If you can, I'd recommend trying some of each and see what you like.  For what you've described, there's not really a "better" style and you should go with what you like best.  I would be happy to give you my thoughts on specific skates. :)

Thank you for all of the advice! I have been down a huge rabbit hole this week learning about different skates (as you could tell, I was a complete noob and didn't even know the differences between quad and inline - or is rollerblades the preferred term for the latter? - let alone different types within each category). I also paid extra attention to the roads and pavements in my area on my walks, and they aren't in great condition - lots of lumps, bumps, and tiled stone. From my research, it sounds like inlines might cope better with that type of environment, even if I put large soft wheels on quads. Since I want something that will give me more freedom of movement, I'm leaning towards inlines, but quads look really cool and I'd be tempted to learn both one day. And if I see a good deal on a used pair of quads, I might snag them now anyway! 

Just to check that I'm on the right track if I do go with quads soon, I would lean towards the Rookie Artistics or maybe the Moxi Rainbow Riders (and then invest in different wheels if necessary): https://www.rollergirlgang.co.uk/post/i-m-starting-out-which-roller-skates-should-i-buy. There are some other entry-level skates around that price point in the UK from companies like Chaya and Rio, but they either lack the adjustable toe stop or the metal plate, which seem like clear downgrades. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:03 PM, Elennare said:

Tired.  I haven't been sleeping well (what's new?), and even when I try to go to bed earlier I don't fall asleep until late, so I've been getting 5-6 hours of sleep.  I've not been taking naps, in the hopes that it will get me to fall asleep earlier, but no luck yet.  I did finally get to talk to someone and find out what I'll actually be doing, and make the beginnings of a plan for me to actually start doing work today, so that's nice.  But, so far, mostly it's "get to know the component," which is also important.

Yesterday, I did a little bit of exercise.  Did not eat great.  Got woken up around 1am by Little Bug sleep walking into his brother's room.  So, I am not doing great today.  Especially since that's all colliding with some mental health stuff that's been bubbling for the last few days.  I may try to take a nap this afternoon.  And then perhaps try to meal plan a bit, so I am eating better and not just eating whatever I can throw together from what's left (hint: it's not much, especially since Husband has flipped into "we're moving mode," which evidently means try to use everything up and not replace it, even though we're a month and a half out and need to eat now).

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with sleep, mental health, and food - it sounds like you have a lot of stressors coming at you from different directions (I think moving and changing jobs are both counted as major life stressors). I hope you were able to get some good food in the house, too. How did the rest of your week go?

• Like 1

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

18 hours ago, Alanna said:

Thank you for all of the advice! I have been down a huge rabbit hole this week learning about different skates (as you could tell, I was a complete noob and didn't even know the differences between quad and inline - or is rollerblades the preferred term for the latter? - let alone different types within each category). I also paid extra attention to the roads and pavements in my area on my walks, and they aren't in great condition - lots of lumps, bumps, and tiled stone. From my research, it sounds like inlines might cope better with that type of environment, even if I put large soft wheels on quads. Since I want something that will give me more freedom of movement, I'm leaning towards inlines, but quads look really cool and I'd be tempted to learn both one day. And if I see a good deal on a used pair of quads, I might snag them now anyway! 

Just to check that I'm on the right track if I do go with quads soon, I would lean towards the Rookie Artistics or maybe the Moxi Rainbow Riders (and then invest in different wheels if necessary): https://www.rollergirlgang.co.uk/post/i-m-starting-out-which-roller-skates-should-i-buy. There are some other entry-level skates around that price point in the UK from companies like Chaya and Rio, but they either lack the adjustable toe stop or the metal plate, which seem like clear downgrades. 

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with sleep, mental health, and food - it sounds like you have a lot of stressors coming at you from different directions (I think moving and changing jobs are both counted as major life stressors). I hope you were able to get some good food in the house, too. How did the rest of your week go?

I haven't really touched inlines since high school, so I can't tell you anything about them other than they are also a fun way to skate and you really need to make sure you push to the side, not straight back when using them. Aside from that being the proper stride form (for any skating, really), since they have the stop on the back, if you try to push your foot straight back, you'll just roll around the front wheel and face plant. I did that the first time I got some, when I was like 8. Clearly it made an impression on me. 🙂

I think inlines is the more popular term for them now, but I'm not sure. I know roller blades was the popular term for a while, but that was maybe because that was the brand that was big when they were first a thing?

I am not familiar with the Rookie brand of skates, but after looking over the link, it looks like a decent beginner skate and comparable to the Moxi you were looking at. I'd say either of those are solid choices.

With high-end skates, generally a nylon plate will be a downgrade and you'll want to avoid them. That's not necessarily the case for beginner skates. There are some very solid choices in nylon plates that are less fancy (I've got some on my "for fun" skates, actually), and the cheap metal plates are just as likely to be adding weight for no performance/longevity gain. Probably the only real reason to stick with metal plates at entry-level is if you are quite heavy, because then the nylon plates will flex too much and make skating hard. One way you can tell whether you're looking at a decent plate or hot garbage is to see if you can find the plate for sale by itself and look at the ratings/reviews on it.

I'm not sure which Chaya skates you were looking at, and while I'm not familiar with their recreational lines, they do make nice skates. I have a pair for my derby skates, and love them, but they're way more high-end than what you're looking at. It's entirely possible they don't have a good entry level skate, but don't rule them out because of that if you're looking for fancier skates in the future.

The rest of the week...oy. That about sums it up. I ended up taking a 3 hour nap on Thursday when I expected to lay down for an hour or so. And then after that, my mental health fell down a hole and I've been fighting to get out of a funk ever since. I kind of forgot how the rest of it went, honestly. I'm sure if I really thought about it I could remember, but I'm tired and that's too much work. 😜

Did manage to have a good Easter, though. We dyed eggs Saturday night (and also got some boxes packed and moved to the storage unit, which ended up being way more workout than expected).  And today, after church, we went to the beach and that was lovely.

Oh yeah, and also Husband and I are going to Cleveland next week. That happened, too. There's a big staff meeting for my new team, and my manager was really hoping I could be there in person to meet everyone, and it would be nice to have an apartment lined up before we arrived. So, as much as we really don't like the idea of flying yet, we're going, because it'll make things much easier. Assuming no one gets sick. We'll be taking as many precautions as possible, and I am more worried about the airports and hotels in that regard than the actual airplanes. Also, my ticket, the hotel, and the car are getting covered as business travel, so, ya know, that helps, too. Slightly more concerned about my parents flying down to watch the boys, but not a whole lot I can do about that. I maybe am also wrestling with feeling like I'm throwing all the year plus of extra caution out the window because it wasn't convenient, which has the lovely effect of making me feel like shit. So that's not great. I'm going to be super hungry when we arrive, because I'm not planning to take my mask off while we're traveling.
We'll see how well that works out.

I haven't been eating great. Going to try to get that back on track, but probably won't succeed. Especially since we're going to visit Husband's parents again. Toying with the idea of doing a Whole 30 after we get back from that. We'll see.

Going to bed now, because I'm still super tired (I have hit the point where either my body is going to adjust to crazy schedule or I'm going to get sick), and it's later than I wanted it to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elennare said:

I haven't really touched inlines since high school, so I can't tell you anything about them other than they are also a fun way to skate and you really need to make sure you push to the side, not straight back when using them. Aside from that being the proper stride form (for any skating, really), since they have the stop on the back, if you try to push your foot straight back, you'll just roll around the front wheel and face plant. I did that the first time I got some, when I was like 8. Clearly it made an impression on me. 🙂

I think inlines is the more popular term for them now, but I'm not sure. I know roller blades was the popular term for a while, but that was maybe because that was the brand that was big when they were first a thing?

I am not familiar with the Rookie brand of skates, but after looking over the link, it looks like a decent beginner skate and comparable to the Moxi you were looking at. I'd say either of those are solid choices.

With high-end skates, generally a nylon plate will be a downgrade and you'll want to avoid them. That's not necessarily the case for beginner skates. There are some very solid choices in nylon plates that are less fancy (I've got some on my "for fun" skates, actually), and the cheap metal plates are just as likely to be adding weight for no performance/longevity gain. Probably the only real reason to stick with metal plates at entry-level is if you are quite heavy, because then the nylon plates will flex too much and make skating hard. One way you can tell whether you're looking at a decent plate or hot garbage is to see if you can find the plate for sale by itself and look at the ratings/reviews on it.

I'm not sure which Chaya skates you were looking at, and while I'm not familiar with their recreational lines, they do make nice skates. I have a pair for my derby skates, and love them, but they're way more high-end than what you're looking at. It's entirely possible they don't have a good entry level skate, but don't rule them out because of that if you're looking for fancier skates in the future.

I'm not surprised that you remember that early inline skate experience! 

Thanks for the clarification about the nylon plates - I was assuming that metal would be better at the same price range. If you're curious, the Chaya Melrose Elite looks like Chaya's entry level skate with an adjustable toe-stop. They do have the advantage (for people that want them for outdoor skating) of coming with 78A wheels. I'm not super light at ~80kg, but that seems to be well within the tolerance of most beginner skates so it sounds like nylon plates could be an option for me, too! 

Thanks again for all of your help and for looking at those skates - over the past week, I've gone from "that would be cool to try" to "I definitely want to get skates sometime soon" (whether that's inline or quads). I think they will be a post-thesis submission reward, especially since I'll have more time then to watch videos and practice. In the meantime, I'll see if I can snag any deals from the lockdown skate crowd!

6 hours ago, Elennare said:

The rest of the week...oy. That about sums it up. I ended up taking a 3 hour nap on Thursday when I expected to lay down for an hour or so. And then after that, my mental health fell down a hole and I've been fighting to get out of a funk ever since. I kind of forgot how the rest of it went, honestly. I'm sure if I really thought about it I could remember, but I'm tired and that's too much work. 😜

Did manage to have a good Easter, though. We dyed eggs Saturday night (and also got some boxes packed and moved to the storage unit, which ended up being way more workout than expected).  And today, after church, we went to the beach and that was lovely.

Oh yeah, and also Husband and I are going to Cleveland next week. That happened, too. There's a big staff meeting for my new team, and my manager was really hoping I could be there in person to meet everyone, and it would be nice to have an apartment lined up before we arrived. So, as much as we really don't like the idea of flying yet, we're going, because it'll make things much easier. Assuming no one gets sick. We'll be taking as many precautions as possible, and I am more worried about the airports and hotels in that regard than the actual airplanes. Also, my ticket, the hotel, and the car are getting covered as business travel, so, ya know, that helps, too. Slightly more concerned about my parents flying down to watch the boys, but not a whole lot I can do about that. I maybe am also wrestling with feeling like I'm throwing all the year plus of extra caution out the window because it wasn't convenient, which has the lovely effect of making me feel like shit. So that's not great. I'm going to be super hungry when we arrive, because I'm not planning to take my mask off while we're traveling.

I haven't been eating great. Going to try to get that back on track, but probably won't succeed. Especially since we're going to visit Husband's parents again. Toying with the idea of doing a Whole 30 after we get back from that. We'll see.

Going to bed now, because I'm still super tired (I have hit the point where either my body is going to adjust to crazy schedule or I'm going to get sick), and it's later than I wanted it to be.

I'm sorry it's been rough - I'm glad you've had some chance to rest and enjoy yourself over the weekend at least. Do you have time for some extra self care (whatever that looks like for you) to help on the mental health side?

Travelling right now does sound really stressful - we've also been really careful and I've barely been inside anywhere except my house since March 2020, so I understand the anxiety. It's important to remember that your travel now doesn't undo your earlier precautions - risk and exposure are additive. Hopefully the vaccine rollout is decreasing the risk, too, although I'm not sure what the situation is like in your area and Cleveland. Food wise, maybe you could get in a quick snack somewhere where there is good ventilation and you're allowed to take off your mask? Or could you slide a straw under your mask (e.g., for a smoothie)? It's not an issue I've had to deal with since I haven't had to wear a mask for long time periods, so I'm not sure of the risks - just thinking you might be in a better position when you arrive if you haven't fasted all day. You might want to change your mask out at some point anyway, especially if it starts to get damp with exhaled moisture. 

Whole30 can be a great reset - I've done a couple in the past. Hope you can find something that helps you get your nutrition back on track without adding to your stress!

• Like 1

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

9 hours ago, Elennare said:

Good luck! Planes themselves seem to be pretty safe with the new air cycling systems on full blast, but totally understand the travel related anxiety around these times. At least 30% of the entire country is already partially vaccinated, so things are trending better. Hope your apartment search out there goes well too!

9 hours ago, Elennare said:

I would find that kind of food restriction to be incredibly stressful when trying to negotiate a move and a new job, but defer to your judgement!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1