Nax's not-so-mini challenge: Clutter-B-Gone! (Probably part 1 of many)

Haaaah, hah. Ha. This mini challenge (and now full challenge) gives me anxiety. But fuck anxiety. Here are some "Before" photos of my room for accountability.

UPDATE March 23, 2021, to actually set measurable goals. The goal will be to establish a habit:

I will work on freeing up some space or organizing things in some way for 10-20 minutes every day.

That's it. That's the only goal. If I end up in a decluttering flow state and work at it for hours, great, but I'm only aiming for 10-20 minutes. What I've learned about myself in the past few years is that the bar needs to be so low it's barely above the floor for me to be able to follow through with things. Now on with the pictures...

Picture 1: A clusterfuck.

NF20210328_Clutter1.jpg.876a49ce4ac90ff75a7d333f006ade15.jpg

A gratuitous cat photo, as well as the back of my room. There is a crawlspace I could put things into...if clutter wasn't blocking the fucking crawlspace door. Only one thing in this photo sparks joy, and it has fur and four legs. I guess my bed also sparks joy. And the three Worbla rolls in the corner that I managed to get for 60% off at Michael's when they were having a clearance definitely sparked joy. Okay, so three things spark joy, but hundreds of things do not spark joy, which is a problem. The laundry was actually folded (thanks mom!) in this shot, though, which is the only semblance of organization.

Picture 2: More clusterfuck.

NF20210328_Clutter2.jpg.125789da3f2ec0c8931d417f81aa753e.jpg

The other end of my room. This photo unfortunately does not include a cat, but it does include a second crawlspace that is...also blocked by clutter! I'm pretty sure it's already full of clutter, and possibly cat vomit since the cat got stuck in there a few weeks ago, but that'll be a surprise for later. Some exercise equipment is present in this shot, for when I have enough floor space to actually move. If you are disappointed by the fact that the neatly folded pile of laundry is actually sitting atop an unfolded pile of laundry, well you'll be disappointed even further when I tell you that the unfolded pile of laundry is, in turn, sitting on top of a box full of clutter! The box is on a chair, with more clutter under it. Help.

Picture 3: Does the clusterfuck ever end? No. The answer is no.

NF20210328_Clutter3.jpg.24fd0e778c58b800306e8252e0036769.jpg

A continuation of Picture 2, because I needed two photos to capture all the bullshit in one side of my room. The real MVP here is the little storage unit on the left. The poor thing is tilting to one side and I hesitate to put anything else in it lest it topples over in a clutter avalanche, causing me to just fucking ragequit right then and there and set my room on fire.

The basement is worse than this. The garage is also worse than this, but not as bad as the basement. Both entryways are only slightly better than this. The whole house is a mess and it's overwhelming. Years ago (2015 or 2016) I gave a HARD PUSH to declutter as much as I could, and definitely made some progress but it's just. Never. Enough. I live with mom, and dad passed away less than a year ago, and it's just like mom and I never had the time to actually deal with the clutter and things just kept piling and piling and piling and piling and piling up. We haven't gotten around to getting rid of his stuff yet, mainly because some of it (like, say, the ATV sitting in the garage) has to go to Quebec and the provincial border is still closed because of COVID. Here in New Brunswick, we've had a fairly low COVID load due to the fact that a) we have a low population density, and b) nobody wants to come here, so my job and workouts etc. have been business as usual and I've had no free time. There's never enough time. But I can't go on like this? Yeah, this is why this mini challenge is giving me hardcore anxiety. It has to be done, but I just don't know how 😐 

It will get done. I don't know how, but it will. Somehow. Little by little.

Hi. I'm Naxius, and this is a respawn.

There are three pieces of loot I really want. I can afford them all because having kept my job throughout COVID plus all the cons and competitions I normally go to being cancelled has left me with a surplus of money. This loot consists of: an embroidery machine, a Cricut Maker, and a 3D printer. If I can clean my room by the time this challenge ends, I'm buying myself one of these things. Because I'll actually have the space to use it.

• Like 5

Hey, I hope you can give yourself some credit, because you're dealing with a lot.  When I cleaned up my act, I started small by getting one area to a condition I could live with, even if I wasn't happy with it.  The "live with happily" and "be reasonably proud of" passes came later, when I could handle them.  Please remember that you deserve a nice home no matter the stuff-joy ratio.  I hope the challenge goes well for you and that you enjoy your loot!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Naxius said:

Years ago (2015 or 2016) I gave a HARD PUSH to declutter as much as I could, and definitely made some progress but it's just. Never. Enough.

Nax!!!

Hi hi hi.

I remember that challenge, and I was so proud but oof, it was an uphill battle!

Also for loot, I vote for the embroidery machine because then I will commission you to make me gorgeous embroidered whatsits. Because I love them, but can't afford a machine and would be all thumbs and no time.

So good to see you again!

Condolences on your loss.

Let's talk more.

❣️

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Year 9: 70 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

On 3/21/2021 at 9:29 PM, epitedeioterov said:

Hey, I hope you can give yourself some credit, because you're dealing with a lot.  When I cleaned up my act, I started small by getting one area to a condition I could live with, even if I wasn't happy with it.  The "live with happily" and "be reasonably proud of" passes came later, when I could handle them.  Please remember that you deserve a nice home no matter the stuff-joy ratio.  I hope the challenge goes well for you and that you enjoy your loot!

That's mostly how I'm planning on tackling it. I threw out some useless items and put some of the clutter into boxes Sunday after making this post, trying to divide the items by vague categories. All I want for now is space to be able to move and do a bit of Yoga and stretching in my room. Piling stuff in boxes seems like a good way to carve out some space initially, even though a stack of boxes doesn't look very visually appealing. As you've said, I'll deal with that later 😜 

Most of the clutter items consist of crafting materials and/or fabric, and unfinished cosplay projects. It's not stuff I want to throw out because I will finish these projects at some point. I have a feeling that having each project stuffed in a separate box will actually be helpful because once the clutter level goes down, I'll be able to actually choose what to work on without that "OH NO SO MANY PROJECTS TO FINISH AAAHHH" kind of overwhelm.

On 3/21/2021 at 11:40 PM, Heidi said:

Nax!!!

Hi hi hi.

I remember that challenge, and I was so proud but oof, it was an uphill battle!

Also for loot, I vote for the embroidery machine because then I will commission you to make me gorgeous embroidered whatsits. Because I love them, but can't afford a machine and would be all thumbs and no time.

So good to see you again!

Condolences on your loss.

Let's talk more.

❣️

Hey hey :D It's good to see you again also! I just noticed the link in my signature that goes to the clutter buster thread from 2016, haha! Wow, I need to update that signature. My tumblr site has also changed, not to mention that I hardly use it anymore.

I am also all thumbs and no time, hence why I want machines to do all the work for me while I'm at work lol. 

21 hours ago, Klutch said:

Decluttering is a never-ending battle. You've got this!

Oh, don't I know it 😅 I'm hoping that I can  develop some habits or systems during this challenge to stay ahead of the ever expanding clutter blob. I've gotten pretty good at tossing dirty clothes into the laundry basket unless I'm sure I'll be re-wearing them. Now I just need to get better at putting all the crafting tools/materials away whenever I do use them. Then the little free time I have can actually be spent crafting instead of storming through the house screaming "WHERE THE FUCK IS THE HOLE PUNCHER!?" while creating more clutter wherever I pass, and then repeating the same routine for the scissors, tape measure, contact cement, etc. once I find the hole puncher.

Update: aside from the  aforementioned action of putting of items in boxes on Sunday, I have not done anything else yesterday. Well, aside from work, working out, going to pole class, walking the dog, and actually sitting down to eat. Mondays are pretty packed. And so are Tuesdays. And Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and...ugh. This is why clutter is a problem 😐 My goal this  challenge will be to do something, ANYTHING, that will free some space every day, only for 10-20 minutes. If I get into a decluttering flow and end up working at it for an hour or more, great, but I'm only aiming for 10-20 min to start with because that's less overwhelming.

Going to go update the original post right meow.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Naxius said:

My goal this  challenge will be to do something, ANYTHING, that will free some space every day, only for 10-20 minutes.

Hey, do you / your family do online shopping (amazon, etc)? When I moved out if my apartment in February last year, I had almost no storage for the things I took with me or accumulated afterwards during the Pandemic Weirdness, so I would occasionally earmark an amazon box for collecting all the [whatever] items in: knitting, bathroom refills and supplies, off-season stuff; soon-to-be-needed stuff, etc. I would choose small or medium boxes so that there wasn't TooMuchStuff in any single one.

Do you have access to smallish shipping boxes? You could pack the items for a particular project into a box just for it, label it with "Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and then set it aside as part one of many.

No matter what, I'm here to cheer you as you find solutions that work for you. 🦋

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Year 9: 70 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I don't have many Amazon boxes (I don't order from there often) but there are plenty of empty boxes of various sizes in the house because neither Mom or I can bring ourselves to throw out a really good box that might be useful later, lol. Most of the items I've put in boxes this week are things I don't want to bend or crush too much, so I did not overfill those boxes. The trash bin might get pretty full, though.

Yesterday (March 23, 2021): Fail

All my evening commitments were unexpectedly cancelled  yesterday so I had high hopes for doing some decluttering and organizing in my room, but that fell through in a spectacular manner because of another, more pressing task having to be done.

I've been keeping a pet frog for the past few months, and the tank was getting disgusting. It was a 30gal semi-aquatic tank and had no filter, which is not exactly easy to clean, so I just temporarily moved the frog to the smaller 10gal tank when things got too gross...except now the smaller tank was getting gross also, so this was a priority item for a while. I spent almost 4 hours cleaning aquariums and then OOOP, IT'S 9:40 PM and I still haven't walked the dog or done other tasks that needed to be done. Sat down to play video games after walking the dog because fuck it, I'm tired.

I did clear a part of the desk in my room slightly after midnight because I felt bad (the part that had the old laptop on it) but I don't think I did a full 10 minutes. The backpack I put the laptop into is also full of clutter/D&D shit, which should go into the little table/desk where my other D&D shit is...except that little desk is full. I should put all my D&D shit in the bookshelf, but the books are too tall to be placed upright AND the bookshelf is full of clutter. Surely I can put the backpack in the closet in the hall outside of my room? Lol, nope. That closet is full of stuff already. And so is the hallway. Store things temporarily on the kitchen or dining room table? Cluttered. Okay, never mind the bookbag. Let's focus on something else I can actually succeed at, like the pile of clean and folded laundry on the fabric bin on the floor. I should put those in one of the multiple wall drawers. Ooooor not, because they all have stuff in them, most of it--you guessed it--clutter or clothes that I no longer wear 🙃 I hate this. I hate everything about this so much. I just want enough floor space for a fucking yoga mat.

tl;dr: Worked my ass off most of the evening only to get nowhere.

Future tasks:

1. Get rid of the clothes that I no longer wear, put them in a box to bring to Value Village. Do the same with misc. items that I have no use for.

2. Dump all the bookshelf clutter and remaining desk clutter into a box. Sort it later.

3. Clear all desk drawers. The contents of the top two drawers consist of crafting tools and paints, so those could go in the same box (bonus: everything in the same place, even if it ends up in a box in the basement). 3rd drawer contains old video games (NES/SNES) that can go in a separate box.

4. Clear  path to crawlspace near the bed.

5. Clear a path to crawlspace near the wall drawers.

All of this probably won't happen this week, but I'll try to get items 1 and/or 2 done tonight. I should (theoretically) have an hour of free time between my workout and pole class, so will need to work quickly. Items 4 and 5 will definitely be a weekend thing.

Ugh, I can't wait until the Easter long weekend where I will actually have TIME to focus on decluttering for more than 30-60 minutes at a time.

March 24, 2021: win.

Got home from work, had a 30 min nap, did my workout, realized that I would not have time to work on decluttering  if I wanted to have time to shower and eat before going to pole class (oh no!), showered and ate, went to pole class, walked the dog when I got home, ooop it is now 10:30.  I was too exhausted to play video games or to think about anything or make decisions about which clothes to keep or give away, so I tackled item #4 on the list instead. There is now a clear path to the crawlspace next to my bed.

Before. Clutter pile visible in the corner: 

NF20210328_Clutter4.jpg.ba46d3652efe52b7913b192fc60670e5.jpg

During. Cat is "helping":

NF20210328_Clutter5.jpg.7078a3d17839ceafcf664135a67ca06d.jpg

After. Clear space! Clutter pile is not yet defeated, but contained!

NF20210328_Clutter6.jpg.ac21cd67600ffdb44e884bbf2804c879.jpg

I'll have to sort through the boxes at some point, but "I must sort one box at a time" is much less overwhelming than "I MUST SORT THROUGH THIS GIGANTIC PILE OF CLUTTER ALL AT ONCE."

A few items I have no clue what to do with:

- The neon green wig on the bedpost in picture 1. I acquired this wig in a mystery bag that one of my friends was selling last year. It, along with two other wigs that were ABSOLUTELY FULL OF TANGLES and literally unusable, were in the bag. I managed to untangle all three (plus the red and black add-ons, hanging from the pink lamp in picture 3) and essentially acquired the skill: Wig Restoration! I have cosplay or costume plans for all of the other wigs because they are of decent quality, but the neon green one feels like it was a shitty 20$ Halloween store purchase. I don't want to just throw it out, but I also know that I won't use it--at least not the way it is now. Maybe I can just remove the wefts from the cap and use them for future projects where I don't know what I'm doing, so if I fuck things up completely it won't be a big loss.

- Lanyards hanging at the base of the pink lamp in picture 3. Why is it that, every time you go to an event, you inevitably come back with a fucking lanyard? Conferences, conventions, competitions, you name it. Boom. A lanyard has appeared in your inventory. I feel the same way about medals. Thanks for the thing, but now what do I DO with it?

- Pile of anime DVDs and magazines in the bottom left of picture 3. This box was donated to me (it's a bit of a sad story) and I have never heard of any of these titles. I feel like I should at least watch them once, but I have no time to watch things these days. I could put them on Kijiji or FB Marketplace, but that takes both time and patience. Also, some of the DVDs are of the NSFW variety 😐 

Updated to-do list from the last post:

1. Get rid of the clothes that I no longer wear, put them in a box to bring to Value Village. Do the same with misc. items that I have no use for.

2. Dump all the bookshelf clutter and remaining desk clutter into a box. Sort it later.

3. Clear all desk drawers. The contents of the top two drawers consist of crafting tools and paints, so those could go in the same box (bonus: everything in the same place, even if it ends up in a box in the basement). 3rd drawer contains old video games (NES/SNES) that can go in a separate box.

4. Clear  path to crawlspace near the bed.

6. Unroll everything that is rolled (Worbla, craft foam, poster board, etc.) and put it behind the bookshelf.

7. Go to comic book shop and buy more bags and boards, and another comic book box.

Will try to get items 1 or 2 done. Preferably 2, because once that's done I can then do item 6, clearing even more space with hardly any effort.

• Like 1

March 25, 2021: not sure if win or fail?

I moved most of the bookshelf clutter (ie, roughly 90% of the stuff that was not a book) into a box, but I'm not sure if I did 10 minutes. Close enough. The  former bookshelf clutter mostly consists of tiny items such as items that may or may not have a crafting use in the future, and bits of papers and business cards I picked up at various conventions with information on them that I may or may not need in the future. The thought "ugh, I don't know if I should keep this or throw this out" accompanied most items' journey into the box, and I am 200% sure that this box will be the worst one to sort through later. Just thinking (and writing) about it right now gives me anxiety. Knowing myself, the frustration will build up SO MUCH that I'll end up angrily throwing most of it in the trash. Yay, I guess?

There is...space, in the bookshelf now. It still needs work, but it looks so much better than before. I can't recall the last time this has happened. I woke up pretty miserable this morning, but then got better when I saw all of this space. Being able to walk around my bed without having to make a fucking DEX save every few steps to go over or around clutter piles was also a mood booster.

Tonight I'll continue working on item 2 and then item 6, assuming item 2 gets completed. I haven't touched the desk clutter yet.

• Like 1

Waaaaah! But the pictures include cats and are the best part of this thread  😭 

In all seriousness, though, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'm posting them wrong? (I usually right-click/copy images from my Google drive and then paste them directly in this text box. Is there a better way to do it?)

To anyone else who is looking at this thread: are the pictures showing up? Wondering if it depends on one's computer/phone/tablet, or if they're not appearing for anyone at all.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Naxius said:

Waaaaah! But the pictures include cats and are the best part of this thread  😭 

In all seriousness, though, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'm posting them wrong? (I usually right-click/copy images from my Google drive and then paste them directly in this text box. Is there a better way to do it?)

To anyone else who is looking at this thread: are the pictures showing up? Wondering if it depends on one's computer/phone/tablet, or if they're not appearing for anyone at all.

No, not showing up for me, either. My bet is that since the filename doesn't end with an image file type like .gif or .jpg, the text box doesn't realise they're supposed to be embedded, and thinks they're just webpage links. (Because there's no way to tell those apart without the .gif or .jpg or whatever at the end.) I think if you used the Other Media button and "Embed from URL", they'd embed.

Edit: Also, having clicked on one, I'm not sure the images are set to be publicly viewed on Google. It's asking me to log in to see them.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Argh. Well that is a problem that needs fixing then.

Using this post and a picture of my Pacman frog to test.

(Edit: it worked when I used the attach button, but I removed it because the pic is way too big. Still working on it.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hy3EayR4wi1h5DwT6 Does this work at all? I tried the Embed from URL button but it just goes red when I paste the URL into it and try to insert into post. Google Photos won't add the file extension 😕 

Ugh. I hope I don't have to save and re-size all the pics on my computer. Or Save and re-upload them all to an image hosting site.

Haven't had the desire to deal with the pictures in the past 2 days because I've been feeling the blahs mentally. Saving and re-uploading is too many steps and ugh. I used to be good at shit like this years ago, but now I can't hold on to a thought for more than 4 to 6 seconds before it disappears or gets replaced by another thought, which then also disappears or gets replaced by another thought, etc. It's just depressing as hell when I remember what my brain used to be able to do and compare that to the stupid lump of fuck inside my skull right now. Also feeling the blahs due to the fact that I have no time to play video games except on weekends, but then weekends are also the time where I have to complete the tasks that I don't have time to do during the week and declutter and...ugh. I know that I probably sound like a fucking child with the "I want to play video games and not do chores" line, but it's kind of bullshit how life is just going to work and completing tasks and trying to stay healthy and repeat until you die.

Anyway, I got drunk and played video games, but also decluttered a bag of misc. costume shit that was from a mystery item bag I bought about a year ago. I am never buying a mystery item bag, or mystery item box, or mystery anything, ever again. Mystery bags might contain some cool things, but 80% of the items I usually have no use for and end up being clutter. Some of the lesser quality items are now in the trash, and I've offered the rest to a friend whom I will visit later today. If she doesn't want the items, off to the trash or to Value Village they go.

I've been reading some decluttering material but none of it really resonates with me or the situation I'm in. Maybe I should start my own decluttering website (lol, assuming I ever find the time). I'm rather fond of the reverse Marie Kondo strategy, where instead of "Does this item spark joy?" I ask myself "Does this item spark anger?" and if the answer is yes, the item gets trashed or donated. Anger, because if a clutter item is in my sight for too long, I usually make this face 🤬 whenever I walk by it (or whenever I accidentally knock it over because it's in the fucking way).

EDIT: re-uploaded the pics from my computer (in the original post), but they're all showing up at the very bottom. Is there a way to get them to show up under where it says "Picture 1" etc.?

EDIT again: okay, found the "Insert into post" button. Please tell me it's working properly now 😅

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Naxius said:

I've been reading some decluttering material but none of it really resonates with me or the situation I'm in. Maybe I should start my own decluttering website (lol, assuming I ever find the time). I'm rather fond of the reverse Marie Kondo strategy, where instead of "Does this item spark joy?" I ask myself "Does this item spark anger?" and if the answer is yes, the item gets trashed or donated. Anger, because if a clutter item is in my sight for too long, I usually make this face 🤬 whenever I walk by it (or whenever I accidentally knock it over because it's in the fucking way).

EDIT: re-uploaded the pics from my computer (in the original post), but they're all showing up at the very bottom. Is there a way to get them to show up under where it says "Picture 1" etc.?

EDIT again: okay, found the "Insert into post" button. Please tell me it's working properly now 😅

They work!  Your cat is so pretty 😍

Yes, get rid of everything that angers you!  Kick it into the sun!

• Like 1

Yay I can see the pictures!! I love your cat. It sparks joy for me as well 😉 

I love your anger approach lol. I tend to look at a space and be like "okay which parts bug me..." And think about what needs to go (or come) to make the space better. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

5 hours ago, Naxius said:

I'm rather fond of the reverse Marie Kondo strategy, where instead of "Does this item spark joy?" I ask myself "Does this item spark anger?" and if the answer is yes, the item gets trashed or donated.

Anger would be the lowest bar in the "spark joy" hierarchy. It's still Marie Kondo - just the easy items first!

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Thanks for confirming that the images are now showing! I will forward all positive comments to my cat.

18 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Anger would be the lowest bar in the "spark joy" hierarchy. It's still Marie Kondo - just the easy items first!

I suppose I should read the full book then, instead if a highly summarized version that I found on the Internet :P (But if I am reading I am not decluttering and aaahhhhh!)

General update:

All I did yesterday was bring the bag of costume items to my friend so she could look through it and pick out any items she might be able to use. She ended up taking all of its contents off my hands. Great! Other than that, I stacked the boxes with my cosplay stuff in them on top of the other clutter boxes in the corner to make things more visually appealing and to give myself the illusion that I'm actually making progress.

Tonight will be incredibly busy and I probably won't have any free time until at least 10 PM, so I'm not expecting much progress. I'm also out of boxes, which is a problem. An other big problem is the large fabric tote in the middle of the floor space (refer to image 3 in the original post, under all the clutter). It's just so big, and there is no other space to put it that isn't already full of fucking clutter. There are already four similar fabric totes under my bed 😅 Maybe I can tuck it away behind the cedar chest so that it blocks the crawlspace, after removing the clutter that is currently blocking the crawlspace. The crawlspace needs to be blocked by at least one thing (see heavy gargoyle statue in one of the images above) otherwise my cat gets in there and destroys things.

I feel like I'm at the re-arranging stage of decluttering. It takes more brain power and I hate it, and this is when I usually give up. I can't do any crafting until the decluttering is done, though 😐 Why do I have a feeling that the only way I can deal with this mess is if I temporarily give up all of my hobbies and usual activities? This does not spark joy.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Naxius said:

I suppose I should read the full book then, instead if a highly summarized version that I found on the Internet :P (But if I am reading I am not decluttering and aaahhhhh!)

Well, that is my own take and not spelled out in the book. 😅 The basic principle is to surround yourself only with things that make you happy, so if you think of the categories of stuff as "makes me happy", "neutral/indifferent", and "actively makes me unhappy" you see what I mean. I do recommend the book though. It's a fast read. I get a lot of benefit from the most often ridiculed part of her method too - thanking your things, especially before discarding them. It gives you closure by marking the end of something, so that you give yourself permission to let go and move on. And thanking the things you keep is really just being appreciative of what you have.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

20 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Well, that is my own take and not spelled out in the book. 😅 The basic principle is to surround yourself only with things that make you happy, so if you think of the categories of stuff as "makes me happy", "neutral/indifferent", and "actively makes me unhappy" you see what I mean. I do recommend the book though. It's a fast read. I get a lot of benefit from the most often ridiculed part of her method too - thanking your things, especially before discarding them. It gives you closure by marking the end of something, so that you give yourself permission to let go and move on. And thanking the things you keep is really just being appreciative of what you have.

Aaahh, gotcha. I understand what you mean, and will probably settle for the neutral/indifferent stage at first. Very few things make me happy these days, but having floor space (ie, the absence of things) may actually do it, so that can't hurt. In any case, I'll be trashing anything that makes me angry lol.

I most likely will pick up the Marie Kondo book, especially if it's a fast read. Not sure how I feel about thanking the things, but I'll wait until I read the book before forming an opinion. I just know that the "do it all in one go" part won't happen because I can't take a whole month off work 😅 (I'm sure it works in most situations, but this house is probably mid-way between "Tidying Up With Marie Kondo" and "Hoarders". Or at least the basement is. But that will be a future challenge.)

Monday March 29, 2021:

As expected, it was around 10:30 when I finally sat down and had nothing left in the tank. Played D&D Online for a bit and then went to bed. I am HOPING that I have enough time to declutter today. The most logical items to tackle will be:

1. Get rid of the clothes that I no longer wear, put them in a box to bring to Value Village.

Item 2 is a low hanging fruit, but item 1 would make me feel so. Much. Better. Item 5 would only involve shuffling clutter around, but would also clear a large amount of floor space. No matter which item I tackle, progress will be made.

• Like 1

I didn't finish the process on my first time through so I still have some basically untouched categories of stuff, but on other categories I have done more than one pass, getting rid of the "easy" things each time. There are always a few new "easy" things each time, and when the bulk is reduced after the first pass, it's easier to deal with the more marginal stuff on future passes. In my experience at least. I have tried to do whole categories in one go, though I did break down a lot of categories to make them a more manageable size.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Naxius said:

Not sure how I feel about thanking the things, but I'll wait until I read the book before forming an opinion.

That's the bit that's hardest to translate, I think. Japan has a heavy Shinto/animist influence running through its cultural metaphor, and the west doesn't really have the equivalent, so it looks odd when just translated without context. I'm not sure it needs to be taken literally, if the purpose of it is accomplished.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

21 hours ago, Naxius said:

Aaahh, gotcha. I understand what you mean, and will probably settle for the neutral/indifferent stage at first. Very few things make me happy these days, but having floor space (ie, the absence of things) may actually do it, so that can't hurt. In any case, I'll be trashing anything that makes me angry lol.

I am the same lol I feel not much "sparks" joy with me. But I can usually tell if I don't like something. So definitely go with that. I also found it was easier to identify things I liked vs things I was meh about the more I did it. Flex your Kondo muscle!

21 hours ago, Naxius said:

I most likely will pick up the Marie Kondo book, especially if it's a fast read. Not sure how I feel about thanking the things, but I'll wait until I read the book before forming an opinion. I just know that the "do it all in one go" part won't happen because I can't take a whole month off work 😅 (I'm sure it works in most situations, but this house is probably mid-way between "Tidying Up With Marie Kondo" and "Hoarders". Or at least the basement is. But that will be a future challenge.)

I have only read the first chapter or so of the book then watched YouTube videos of people decluttering their stuff with her methods so take anything I say with a grain of salt lol.  I didn't thank things because I can't get my mind around that. Certain items though I did pull up memories with them (if I had them) and tried to remember when and why I got the item and if there were any fun times with it. Some things had no fun back story and that just reinforced that I didn't need it. It was not realistic for me to "do it all in one go" but I did it by room or by box. Except for clothes and books because those were easy to round up for me... But to get all the paper in the house? Nope thats not happening. I did tackle my paper drawer recently with the last mini challenge but I still have other spots with paper I need to tackle. 

• Like 1

Tuesday March 30, 2021:

I unexpectedly had a free evening due to all my commitments being cancelled at the last minute. This is the best feeling. I managed to sort through one small pile of clothes into a "keep" and "give away" pile. The "keep" pile still has too many things I might not wear, though. The clothes fit and look good, but I've just been too exhausted to give a shit about what I wear these days. I want people to look at me and be like "damn, he looks good" but when people look at me I get anxiety, so I always opt for the most basic of clothes so that I don't stand out, even though I'd like to stand out, but attention is scary. It's more of a psychological problem than a clutter problem. I'll probably keep more clothes than I should, just in case I can get over this mental BS and actually wear them. If not, oh well. There will be further decluttering rounds in other challenges.

I'm not sure what to do with random event t-shirts. The convention ones (HalCon, FanExpo, etc) I wear regularly and will continue to do so until they fall apart, but the t-shirts I've gotten from races and boot camps etc. I couldn't care less about. I feel about them the same way I feel about lanyards. There are also some good quality workout shirts I don't wear because they no longer fit right, but I don't want to just toss those so I might offer them to friends first. In any case, there has been this one t-shirt pile that has been in my view for MONTHS and it's starting to make me really angry because it's just...there 😡

Most of the rolled up Worbla and craft foam sheets were stashed behind the bookshelf or rolled tighter and stuffed into the box where other foam bits and pieces are stored. This essentially freed up an entire corner. For a few minutes anyway, because I stacked a pile of boxes and containers there immediately after, but in a very organized manner. I can open ALL of the wall drawers now, so sorting clothes and organizing everything in there will be easier. I shall soon have a place to put folded laundry!

I've cleared a path to the second crawlspace (the one near the wall drawers) but very temporarily. The large fabric tote is now under all the clutter that used to be there. I CAN SEE THE FLOOR! The large fabric tote has wheels, so I can pull it out along with all the clutter on top of it if/when I need to access that crawlspace. I took a picture for before-and-after purposes, but will post it later when I get home from work.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Naxius said:

I unexpectedly had a free evening due to all my commitments being cancelled at the last minute. This is the best feeling. I managed to sort through one small pile of clothes into a "keep" and "give away" pile. The "keep" pile still has too many things I might not wear, though. The clothes fit and look good, but I've just been too exhausted to give a shit about what I wear these days. I want people to look at me and be like "damn, he looks good" but when people look at me I get anxiety, so I always opt for the most basic of clothes so that I don't stand out, even though I'd like to stand out, but attention is scary. It's more of a psychological problem than a clutter problem. I'll probably keep more clothes than I should, just in case I can get over this mental BS and actually wear them. If not, oh well. There will be further decluttering rounds in other challenges.

I think its okay to keep the clothes if you feel good in them and look good. You never know when you need some good clothes and it sucks trying to find something on a whim. Now if you tried them on and were like "psch I look like an alien" then yah maybe don't keep those. Unless you want to look like an alien. I understand the  anxiety from people looking at you. At least in my case I am just not used to it so if someone is looking at me I am like "Why are you looking at me D:< grrr"

I'm not sure what to do with random event t-shirts. The convention ones (HalCon, FanExpo, etc) I wear regularly and will continue to do so until they fall apart, but the t-shirts I've gotten from races and boot camps etc. I couldn't care less about. I feel about them the same way I feel about lanyards. There are also some good quality workout shirts I don't wear because they no longer fit right, but I don't want to just toss those so I might offer them to friends first. In any case, there has been this one t-shirt pile that has been in my view for MONTHS and it's starting to make me really angry because it's just...there 😡

Honestly... I value village those shirts I don't care about. Also gasp.... FanExpo......I am guessing thats probably a popular name though. We have a FanExpo 60 mins from me ^_^

I CAN SEE THE FLOOR! 

high five zac efron GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Like 1