Xena kicks up her feet and...

Hope the foot heals up quickly. Also wanted to pick out this:

On 3/26/2021 at 1:12 AM, Xena said:

The past couple of days my back has felt really good

Do you think that's from taking some time off running, or just coincidence?

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

@Jarric good question...I've been thinking about that too. I think it might be part of it, especially not doing the really long runs. The podiatrist also suggested that wearing the orthotic would help my back. My guess is that the other part of it is that I've had more time to focus on yoga/stretching and have spent most of that on doing back-focused things. Bodies are so mysterious some times!

My foot is still about the same. It just a little sore sometimes. And I've been taking some NSAIDS (one Aleve each day for the past few days). Usually I get a couple little twinges while walking around in the morning and during/after my morning exercise (lifting and/or walking). In the afternoon/evening, after the Aleve has kicked in, it feels perfectly fine.

My plan is to go for an easy/moderate hike on Saturday. Sunday I think I'll just do my regular walk. After that, if nothing is worse, I think I'm going to start running ~3 miles a couple times a week. Still not sure if that's a good idea or not. Will think about it for a few more days.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 4/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, Xena said:

@Jarric good question...I've been thinking about that too. I think it might be part of it, especially not doing the really long runs. The podiatrist also suggested that wearing the orthotic would help my back. My guess is that the other part of it is that I've had more time to focus on yoga/stretching and have spent most of that on doing back-focused things. Bodies are so mysterious some times

That's the trouble, isn't it? It's so hard to only change one thing. I know if I work really long hours my knees hurt for example. Now is that because my office chair isn't suitable? Or just that I'm doing more sitting in general? Or because I'm spending more time working and have less time/energy for stretching? Or a combination of some or all of those?

Anyway, I hope you manage to figure out what's helping your back now, so you can carry on looking after it when you're running again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Enjoy your walks, and hiking. Hoping that the runs next week go well and are foot pain free

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 1 Re-cap

This weekend was good. I took myself hiking on Saturday. Only about 90 minutes, but more climbing that I can get locally. It was a good starter hike for the season....definitely reminded me that I need to get places early and probably go on weekend to avoid crowds in the future. Saturday night I was really happy because NOTHING HURT! My back was fine, foot was fine.  Everything was great!

Today I went for a walk with my BFF. After that I bought some paints as a reward for completing my two-week personal mini-challenge (see below). When I got home I decided to do some kind of crazy yard work, including cutting down a big tree. I think I put some strain on my foot while cutting down the tree...I know it sound crazy, but I was doing it with a handsaw, standing on uneven ground, and working from some weird angles. I'm not worried about it, I'm just really hoping to start going for some short runs next week. Hoping it settles down overnight.

Details on my challenge over the past couple weeks:

On 3/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, Xena said:

I'm going to try this for 2 weeks:

1. Strength training of some sort 3x/ week. I'm feeling motivated to do some dumbbell stuff, and I've pulled out a couple workouts to try. (2 pts each: 12 pts)

2. Back-focused yoga routine 2x/week. (2 pts each: 8 pts)

3. Saturday morning yoga class unless I have a good reason not to. (3 pts each: 6 pts)

4. Go outside and walk (or run) every day unless I really think it would be bad for my foot. (1 pt each: 14 pts)

5. Read 50 pages of the Spanish book. (2 pt/5 pages, 20 pts)

60 pts possible. If I get 54 pts, I'll buy myself a new set of dumbbells (either 8 or 12 lb...whichever seems like it would be more useful to add)...or if that doesn't seem too useful, I'll think of a treat of similar value.  

Did everything except go to Saturday yoga this week...arguably that was excused [skipped it so I could do some house cleaning and then drive out to go hiking]. That gives me at least 57/60, so I bought some paints that I'm going to use for an art project. While I was at the store, I also saw an inexpensive travel watercolor kit with a water brush. I've been wanting to try a waterbrush for a long time, so I got that too. Then I thought that the kit might be a cute present for my mom, so I picked up a second. So now I have plenty of challenge rewards for myself 🙂

I'm going to repeat this little mini-challenge for the next two weeks, except tweaking a couple things to make it feel a little new: (1) the strength training has to include a P90X video once per week, and (2) I'm going to replace the Saturday yoga with working through 20 pages of my R Data Science book.

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

I like the mini-challenge strategy!  Sometimes, for some goals, I think I need longer challenge time periods, and others, shorter.  My current challenge, for example, would probably work best on a week-by-week basis.  

I'm so impressed with all you're doing even while you can't run.  I've some athletes slip into pretty bad funks when cut off from sports they love, but you're staying focused on healing and making progress in other areas.  Hope it continues to go well!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jules! I decided on the 2-week chunks because I'm just not excited enough about any of my goals to commit to them for 5 weeks. This set-up seems to be working ok.

I'm frustrated about my foot. I've run a total of 4 miles in the past 3+ weeks, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Walking seems to irritate it. I'm not sure what to do...I don't particularly enjoy walking for fitness, but I feel like I should be doing something....not sure if I should just keep on with what I'm doing or dial it back more. I get my permanent orthotic on Tuesday, so maybe that will somehow help. I could also go back to anti-inflammatories and/or icing. I don't know. Gonna give it another week or two before making any big changes.

Week 2 re-cap

1. Strength training: Yup...two dumbbell workouts and one P90X workout. I liked the P90X video, so I'm happy to keep that in the rotation for a while.

2. Back-focused yoga routine 2x: Yup. My back has been kind of cranky the past few days, so I need to make sure to keep this up, and probably add some daily mobility stuff. Why am I getting so decrepit??!

3. Saturday morning yoga unless I have a good reason not to: I'm gonna call "good reason not to". I went for a walk at a beach park with my BFF. I did some extra exercise on Sunday to try to make up for it (got through half of another new-to-me P90X video...stopped this one halfway through because I had already done a lot of new moves and was nervous about overdoing it).

3b....actually just remembered I replaced this goal with working through 10 pages of my "R" book....which I did!

4. Walk or run outside every day: Yep. It was frankly disappointing. Ran 3 miles on Tuesday and was feeling pretty happy. Tried for another 3 miles on Thursday, but the over-the-counter orthotic was giving me problems (the arch was hitting against my heel) and I was afraid of making things worse. Stopped after a mile, turned around and walked home. This injury sucks. I know it could be a lot worse, but that's kind of what's suckiest about it. It doesn't hurt all that much, it just keeps me from doing what I want to do.

5. Read Love in the Time of Cholera: Yeah...I had some catching up to do tonight, but I made it through 25 pages for the week.

...Goal for Week 3 is pretty much to do the same thing. Will do more back rehab work. I guess I'll also see if the tires in my old clunker of a bike will still hold air. I kind of dislike biking, but maybe that would be easier on my foot than walking.

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

On 4/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, Xena said:

2. Back-focused yoga routine 2x: Yup. My back has been kind of cranky the past few days, so I need to make sure to keep this up, and probably add some daily mobility stuff. Why am I getting so decrepit??!

Yes, I keep asking the same question. This past year has been really bad for that.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, Xena said:

.Goal for Week 3 is pretty much to do the same thing. Will do more back rehab work. I guess I'll also see if the tires in my old clunker of a bike will still hold air. I kind of dislike biking, but maybe that would be easier on my foot than walking.

Oiling the chain will help make it run smoother. If you haven't used it for a long time, it is a good idea to make sure the brake and shifting cables still move freely. Biking is a lot more fun when your bike works smoothly. :D 

• Thanks 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Have you tried any type of fascia release? I stand on a small  ball (it's actually a toy cannonball from my son's playset )  and smash my foot on it . When I get to a sore spot, I step down and hold it there for about 30 seconds. Repeat until the muscle feels better

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 4/14/2021 at 1:09 PM, Elastigirl said:

Have you tried any type of fascia release? I stand on a small  ball (it's actually a toy cannonball from my son's playset )  and smash my foot on it . When I get to a sore spot, I step down and hold it there for about 30 seconds. Repeat until the muscle feels better

Not exactly. I'm not sure that specifically would help. It more like swelling and soreness toward the top of the foot. But I should probably be doing more massage, especially ice massage. Thanks for the suggestion!

--------

I have the custom orthotic now and I *think* it helps. But it's not magic.

I finally got fed up with not being able to work out hard, so I caved and ordered a Peloton. It shows up next week and I'm pretty excited about it. My brother (who lives several states away from me) has one and loves it. He said we could do some workouts together, which would be really nice. I do think I'll be able to start running soon-ish, but it seems like I'll have to keep my miles low for a while. AND I'm really bad at summer (hot weather) running. Back when I was working with a coach, he was always suggesting I mix in biking during the summer, but I didn't have a real bike. I think it will be good for me. It was a big splurge, but I have saved a lot of money over the past year.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Have done a couple of the "non-bike" peloton classes over the past couple of days and I mostly like them. Did a good strength class on Sunday (sore all over today) and a short yoga class today. I used to go into "the big city" every now and then to take a "hip hop yoga"class for fun [ok yoga purists won't be impressed, but it had some creative sequences and made me happy]. I've tried unsuccessfully to find something similar online over our past year-of-covid. The peloton yoga class had a similar vibe. It's just vinyasa/flow yoga with fun music.

I also went for a 3-mile run today. I'm going to take 2 days off from running before trying another. 

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

I never did re-cap last week. I've divided this challenge into 3 sets of 2-week challenges, and the 2nd one ended on Sunday.

I was supposed to (1) Walk or run every day, (2) 3 strength workouts per week with one of them being a P90X workout, (3) 2 yoga per week (4) Work through 20 pages in a coding book (5) read 50 pages in my Spanish book.

I did the walking, coding and Spanish. For the strength work, I basically did it, but the P90X DVDI meant to do was having trouble playing. I substituted a different video of equivalent difficulty, so that one's fine. For yoga, I missed a day (because I had to drive pretty far to get the vaccine). I did 2 classes that week, but one of them was my Saturday zoom class, and I didn't really have that in mind when I set the goal. So if I don't count the yoga, but do count the weights, that gives me 62/64 points.

-----

For my final 2 weeks I'm simplifying a little:

1. 3 Strength workouts per week

2. Walk, run or bike every day

3. 50 pages Spanish book

4. Paint or draw something each week

No points or rewards this time...the bike was already a huge splurge.

Oct/Nov 2016