My Goals... My Goals Never um... Changes 

I'm a Mighty Mighty Man, I'm Young (ahem) and I'm in my Prime (cough, cough) 

Keeping it simple this time, sticking to what I need to do and what I've been doing, but doing it better. Not expecting miracles but aiming to get back to the level of fitness I had about 5 years ago, which seems achievable with some effort and consistency. Basically, be able to run fast for a sustained length of time, have some upper body strength, be able to do a bridge, and not feel like my belly is always getting in the fucking way. 

I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

Week zero is prep: fix my bike, review my morning routine, get the allotment organised, clean up my eating (which took a real nosedive towards the end of the last challenge) 

And then 

1. They Call Me The Wanderer

Move ever day, including at least one long run and two other runs per week 

2. Hack, Whack, Choppin' That Meat

Eat properly: porridge for breakfast and paleo for the rest of the day, no booze

Photo_talks_1616357322419.jpg.629450c952ac06070431e6764bb842f8.jpg

3. Civilization? I'll Stay Right Here

Carry on Meditating* This is becoming a habit now - I've only missed 3 days since the start of the year, I think. I'm still undecided about it though. I only really feel like about one session in five is effective. The others are just me sitting there thinking about stuff and not really engaging. I think I need to do more prep beforehand to get things out of my head - you know, make notes, turn the oven on for breakfast, drink something, that kind of stuff. So that I don't have so many distractions. I think I need to make this challenge period a make or break for this one. Either i find a way of making this more reliably useful or I give up on it and use that ten minute slot for things that are going to benefit me more. I still feel like there's something to be got out of it but that maybe it's not something I'm suited to and maybe I'm better off cutting my losses. Hm... 

*=now there's a Sid James/Kenneth Williams film I'd love to see

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I like it! ( and I kinda knew that before I started reading... :)

a prep week sounds good. And I will be at your side getting the food thing under control again. Have grown big since October and am not taking that sitting down. 

giphy.gif

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

12 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

I like it! ( and I kinda knew that before I started reading... :)

a prep week sounds good. And I will be at your side getting the food thing under control again. Have grown big since October and am not taking that sitting down. 

giphy.gif

Yep. We've got this. 

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Week 0 Day 1:

Fixed my bike, gloated about winning the Diamond League in Duolingo, did a meditation which was not one of the one in five. 

In the evening I did a HIIT workout. It was another Joe Wicks job, but from 2017. I think he must have been more hardcore back then because it really did me in. Oh my god! 

My eating has been more controlled today. I didn't do proper paleo because I was cooked for and y'know, i don't want to be ungrateful for the risotto that was on offer, but I had a sensible amount and more importantly didn't have lots of snacks, and certainly had no sugary treats or booze, so I'll call that a win. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

17 hours ago, 18ck said:

Carry on Meditating*

*=now there's a Sid James/Kenneth Williams film I'd love to see

Agreed.

mode subs GIF

However, you might have to call the series Carry Om.

17 hours ago, 18ck said:

I think I need to do more prep beforehand to get things out of my head - you know, make notes, turn the oven on for breakfast, drink something, that kind of stuff. So that I don't have so many distractions.

Just remember that getting rid of the distractions is what you're supposed to do during meditation, not before it. If you need to go easier mode before you go hard mode, do it, but don't fall back into the "I need to clear my head before I can start meditating" trap.

Also I have questions about your post title. I don't think dick-measuring actually takes very long. Even if there are a lot of people taking part in the contest, a gridded dick-measuring board laid out horizontally and a laser plumb line could measure a lot of dicks in a single reading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

4 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey, defo a winning day :) well done! 

Here to follow of course xx

Thanks, 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

However, you might have to call the series Carry Om.

Ooh yes. Strongly approve of this! 

Just remember that getting rid of the distractions is what you're supposed to do during meditation, not before it. If you need to go easier mode before you go hard mode, do it, but don't fall back into the "I need to clear my head before I can start meditating" trap.

Yeah, I think the easy mode was what I was after. Some days I can bat away thoughts easily, and sometimes the inside of my head feels like a sort of tumble drier of unfinished conversations, to-do lists and anxieties, and I don't have enough stability to be able to get them under control . Or using your mental push-ups analogy, I think I'm just trying to avoid doing diamond push-ups with a small pit-pony on my back when I haven't yet got good at ordinary push-ups yet.

Like if I start the session too close to 6.30 (when I have an alarm set to remind me to wake my daughter) then I worry about that going off near the end of the session. Solution: start earlier or set the alarm back a couple of minutes. That's one distraction down.  And if I turn the oven on for her breakfast before I start then I won't be thinking "I must remember to turn the oven on", or if there's a work-related thing I don't want to forget, I can write that down and then I can feel OK about forgetting about it, knowing it won't get lost as a result and not get done. Just clearing the decks to that extent gives me a fighting chance. 

Once I started a session when I needed a wee really badly. Not helpful. Seems like an easy fix. Sam Harris sells his own brand of meditation nappies for just such a scenario so I have ordered some of those. That's a load off my carpet. Mind. I mean mind. 

. I don't think dick-measuring actually takes very long.

It does, especially in the age of covid when the micrometer needs to be disinfected between uses. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Yeah, I think the easy mode was what I was after. Some days I can bat away thoughts easily, and sometimes the inside of my head feels like a sort of tumble drier of unfinished conversations, to-do lists and anxieties, and I don't have enough stability to be able to get them under control . Or using your mental push-ups analogy, I think I'm just trying to avoid doing diamond push-ups with a small pit-pony on my back when I haven't yet got good at ordinary push-ups yet.

Totally fair. You don't wanna be the beginning skier on the double black diamond trails.

I'm trying to think back to when I started, and I think I just sort of accepted that for several months, it was really gonna suck, and I wasn't going to see it working, so I must have read somewhere that it just worked like that. I probably read something along the lines of "don't be attached to the outcomes, or you'll get frustrated, but it doesn't mean it isn't progress". And I think it did genuinely suck for a while. I felt stupid, I felt like I was wasting my time, I didn't know what was supposed to happen... Another thing it took me a while to be okay with was, it's okay if the meditation session really sucks. You're not being judged on doing it right, you're being judged on doing it at all. Marathon rather than a sprint, and all that.

The other thing I learned much later is that... hrm, my brain is like a room. If it's really messy, sometimes I have to keep going a lot longer for my brain to settle down and take out all the trash. I don't always do that. Sometimes I accept my sucky day and go. Other days I lean in and go longer.

15 minutes ago, 18ck said:

It does, especially in the age of covid when the micrometer needs to be disinfected between uses. 

Well, I certainly do approve of solid safety procedures. I'm still gonna vote for the no-contact laser plumb line, though. Technology has moved on, like no-contact fever detection. I admit that in a large contest pool, six-feet spacing rules does make it harder more difficult.

side GIF

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I second what @sarakingdom  says about meditation. After 25 years of meditating I still somedays feel like I've never done this right before. When I was in the MRT thing it was very easy for me to breathe myself into a calm inner space and not be frightened. I like that and would also say that the benefits take a bit to be felt, hang OM :) 

very good first day!!!!!! 

• Like 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Totally fair. You don't wanna be the beginning skier on the double black diamond trails.

And why not? I recall having a lot of fun with that at Whistler when I was like, 12. I see what you mean, though, haha.

+++

So, I'm here! I like your goals and particularly enjoy your amusing and honest thoughts about the whole meditation stuff. I am okay at meditating, but I am not a meditation evangelist. I don't think everyone's going to get something out of it. You still might, however. Let us know.

• Like 1

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

14 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

You're not being judged on doing it right, you're being judged on doing it at all.

I think this was the only thing I was shaking my head at in your email (well apart from the bit where you wanted to point a laser at everyone's dick, but we'll pass over that in silence) 

I'm not really worried about being judged. I'm past caring about all that. It's more a cost/benefit thing: am I getting enough benefit out of it to justify the time I'm setting aside in the morning. 

Apart from that, it all makes sense. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

hang OM

Hey, welcome to the pun party

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

So, I'm here!

Welcome back for another round! 

Day 2:

Meditation went quite well. It was looking at a time when I'd done badly and felt bad about it: examining that as a thought in itself and the feelings it triggers. I really went for it too; not just some trivial nonsense but proper hang-your-head-in-shame stuff. A bit much for 6.15AM, but I got something out of it, so that's OK. 

Language study was minimal, but the big news was that I got out on the newly-fixed bike, pedalled to the park and did tennish k before starting work. Pace was a bit so-so, but that's OK, I wasn't out to set records. 

I've eaten well today. Still avoiding bread, cake, sweet things. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 18ck said:

I think this was the only thing I was shaking my head at in your email

I'm no really worried about being judged. I'm past caring about all that. It's more a cost/benefit thing: am I getting enough benefit out of it to justify the time I'm setting aside in the morning.

I should have clarified. The judgy person might be you yourself. It certainly was for me. It was intensely uncomfortable to trust the process for several months, when I wasn't sure what the benefits would be. I only managed it because I was warned to do that, and even then, I hated the advice, which sounded unreliable. (I was incredibly at the end of my tether with some stuff meditation was said to help and had just enough martial arts teaching exposure to wade through it, and that's why I stuck it out.)

I mention this only because I suspect you and I come from very similar science-trained evidence-based styles of evaluation. My experience is that it's just hard to make that compatible with the teaching style behind meditation. Traditional Asian teaching styles do work (and there's some shift towards related elements in modern research on teaching), but in things like meditation and certain martial arts, the way they're designed to transmit knowledge has a real culture clash with the Western style of highly verbalized knowledge transmission, and more so with the science-trained, who are using that primarily for quantitative assessments and don't trust knowledge that can't be explicitly transferred. It's a difficult hurdle to leap. So just be aware that it's there. You and I go into the process of learning meditation on hard mode, because we're the least likely to trust the process.

12 minutes ago, 18ck said:

(well apart from the bit where you wanted to point a laser at everyone's dick, but we'll pass over that in silence) 

A prophet is never recognised in their native land. Look, if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing correctly and with the best available technology, is all I'm saying. Unless you're into historical recreation (which, don't get me wrong, is a valid hobby), there's no reason to measure dicks using Victorian technology in the 21st century.

• Haha 2

Just want to mention that I hang around your challenges because your consistency in your Duolingo stuff and meditation attempts is inspiring. That is all. (shuts off sappy module of TrashcanCarla because *pssst* she's a synth)

• Like 1

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

On 3/23/2021 at 10:30 PM, sarakingdom said:

should have clarified. The judgy person might be you yourself. It certainly was for me

Ah right, OK. Well, we'll have to see how it goes. I have been doing this for nearly a quarter of a year now. I don't want to stop if I'm on the verge of some breakthrough, and I guess that shows a level of patience or dedication or something, but there comes a point in any activity where, if the benefits are still few and far between, you have to ask yourself "is this really patience or am I just being driven by the sunk costs fallacy?" I think that's where I am. The fact that intelligent people like you and SH have found something in it tells me it must be the former not the latter but I dunno... Maybe we're constituted differently. 

My experience is that it's just hard to make that compatible with the teaching style behind meditation.

(and) 

You and I go into the process of learning meditation on hard mode, because we're the least likely to trust the process.

Yes, I think that's about right. I think I'd put the emphasis more on the origins of meditation in a religious (ie untrue) worldview, rather than in the way its taught. I think SH manages to put it into words pretty well, but it's when I hit legacies of the religious origin (such as the word "spirituality") or have to reflect on something patently false (like "you don't have a head") that I start to bristle, even though I understand, on one level, why they're there. 

But with that caveat, basically, yes, I think you're spot on here. 

star wars GIF

Sorry, got to go - time for my laser measurement it is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

Just want to mention that I hang around your challenges because your consistency in your Duolingo stuff and meditation attempts is inspiring. That is all. (shuts off sappy module of TrashcanCarla because *pssst* she's a synth)

Thanks 😊 and don't worry, it didn't sound sappy. I'm glad of the encouragement! If you start getting sappy on me, I won't hesitate to use your reset code. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was a bit more restful. My daily movement was just walking to the allotment and doing a bit more work in my eternal, neverending project. Not very strenuous but I needed it because my eyes were killing me after staring at the screen for so long and I needed to change my focal length for a bit as well as stretch my legs. 

Ate well. I was craving treats but managed not to reach for the choccy biccies. Meditation went OK and I did a fair bit of language work. I am actually bottom of the diamond league in Duolingo this week, having won it last week. Oh how the mighty have fallen! Well, I need to get out of the relegation zone at least!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Athena said:

There are reset codes for sappiness?! Where!

:D

I agree your consistency (in attempts) is inspiring. Go 18ck!

😊 Thanks

11 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

&1 :) 

👍 And thank you too

2 hours ago, Rookie said:

I am here for the humour and dick measuring contest.

*waves cheerily*

• Like 1

Today I did a meditation that went quite well (again! I'm on a roll!) and a small amount of Duolingo plus listening to some Portuguese videos. 

In the evening I did 5 sets of press-ups for 120 total. I've been eating pretty well. Planning on running again tomorrow. 

• Like 4