So today I was up early, did my meditation (not bad but my brain was a bit flighty) and my one Gaelic lesson, followed by some Portuguese reading/listening. 

The workout was a 20 minute HIIT session with Joe. Eating well.

My morning routine isn't really part of my goal here but since I mentioned I was changing it up, I'll just mention that I did manage to get started with looking at the tutorial and trawling LinkedIn, so that's working out OK. 

And over all, I feel like things are moving in the right direction again, feeling a little bit lighter and a little bit stronger. It's gradual but I'll take it. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

1 hour ago, 18ck said:

Wait, you'd in Canada and you're getting hot pepper and basil to grow *outside*??? Good lord. Global warming, I suppose. 

The difference is less the temperatures than how long the seasons are. You don't need wildly hot temperatures to get those things to grow, you need enough warm days for them to mature. All summer plants, once they're established, go through to frost, so they're fine with cooler growing periods. And in terms of available daylight hours for daylight sensitive things, most of Canada is south of you.

The thing that tells you it's Canada is growing basil and cilantro in the same season. :D

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

5 hours ago, 18ck said:

There's still some left. 

Wait, you'd in Canada and you're getting hot pepper and basil to grow *outside*??? Good lord. Global warming, I suppose. 

Heck no lol they are on my kitchen table in egg shells 🤣🤣🤣 but I'll have you know tomorrow is going to be 17C! I'm waiting for the last frost warning which should be soon I hope (aka waiting for my more experienced gardener friend to give me the ok). Then they are going outside. We still need to build our planters but I feel we need to some stuff to prepare first before we build. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

what a fabulous challenge name. If only all of us were so wise. 

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

8 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Wait... Is that wrong? 🥺 I'm new at this lol 

Ah! Cilantro is a cool season herb, spring and fall, while basil is a summer herb. There is a gray area in the "hot end of spring/cool end of summer" zone where they can both be very happy, and that may be most or all of your summer, depending where you are. I assumed that was your zone. If your gardener friend does it, no sweat. (Cilantro is infamous for going to seed fast in the heat  which is the end of it. On the other hand, some people manage to protect it partly into winter with all the other cold season greens. Like lettuce, it looks like a tender summer-lover, but actually prefers cold.)

If it does get too warm for cilantro outside, it's very happy on a windowsill, if you keep your house in its temperature range. If you put it in a pot, you can bring it in when it heats up, and put it back out in the fall.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Ah! Cilantro is a cool season herb, spring and fall, while basil is a summer herb. There is a gray area in the "hot end of spring/cool end of summer" zone where they can both be very happy, and that may be most or all of your summer, depending where you are. I assumed that was your zone. If your gardener friend does it, no sweat. (Cilantro is infamous for going to seed fast in the heat  which is the end of it. On the other hand, some people manage to protect it partly into winter with all the other cold season greens. Like lettuce, it looks like a tender summer-lover, but actually prefers cold.)

If it does get too warm for cilantro outside, it's very happy on a windowsill, if you keep your house in its temperature range. If you put it in a pot, you can bring it in when it heats up, and put it back out in the fall.

My gardening friend hates cilantro because there's something wrong with her. This is good to know 😊 cilantro is going outside tomorrow lol and when it gets hot I'll bring it back in. Thanks for the knowledge share! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookie said:

My gardening friend hates cilantro because there's something wrong with her. This is good to know 😊 cilantro is going outside tomorrow lol and when it gets hot I'll bring it back in. Thanks for the knowledge share! 

Well, your gardening friend is indeed very wrong, and must learn how wrong she is. ;) Yeah, it likes being treated like a spinach or a lettuce or other cold-hardy greens - not too fussy about light, might not enjoy an actual freeze, but if you put something between it and the sky to keep opportunistic frost off it, should muddle through, perhaps even as a baby. You'll probably be able to churn out tons of the stuff in Canada, though possibly not in July, when the basil is overtaking the garden.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

The difference is less the temperatures than how long the seasons are. You don't need wildly hot temperatures to get those things to grow, you need enough warm days for them to mature. All summer plants, once they're established, go through to frost, so they're fine with cooler growing periods. And in terms of available daylight hours for daylight sensitive things, most of Canada is south of you.

The thing that tells you it's Canada is growing basil and cilantro in the same season. :D

Hm... Well some bits if Canada are South of lundun but not much. I take your point about the growing season though - I suppose I think of it as being cold all the time because the winter there is sooooo much colder. Same is true of New York which is well south of both of us but has much harsher winters. And although the summer is warmer I tend to find chillis and tomatoes are ready quite late and I'm surprised you can get the heat they need to ripen properly at the back end of the season but obviously I'm wrong about that or we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I always have to Google cilantro because I can never remember if its what we call rocket or what we call parsley (it's what we call parsley: rocket is arugala or something I think) 

I can get both to grow here too. Basil is a bit more flopsy though and prone to cark it if the weather is either to dry or too cool, so I usually keep it indoors as its easier. Also it smells so nice it's better to have it indoors making everything smell like an Italian restaurant. 

3 hours ago, Rookie said:

I'll have you know tomorrow is going to be 17C

Oh my god, those poor polar bears and woolly mammoths! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

what a fabulous challenge name. If only all of us were so wise. 

😊 It's an oblique Fallout 4 reference but every time I see it I think of it as an Adrian Mole reference, which is a biiiit different. 

Wow, well this thread has been busy overnight. I've learned a lot about growing parlantro. I mean cisley. I mean... Oh whatever. I've just tended to ignore it mostly, and let it do its thing, but I might start taking better care of it and treating it like a lady. 

My favourite bit of the allotment is under the blackcurrant bushes. I put a net over them in season to keep the pigeons off, so I have to crawl in under there. There's some wild mint growing around the base and blackcurrant and mint leaves have this in common: both give off a really strong smell if you so much as touch them. So you get these two really fresh, delicious smells swirling around. There's a little garlic too, which isn't quite so chatty but occasionally adds to the mix. Sometimes I just want to live under there. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 18ck said:

I always have to Google cilantro because I can never remember if its what we call rocket or what we call parsley (it's what we call parsley: rocket is arugala or something I think)

Neither one. It's coriander. Which does like to be treated a bit more like a lady than parsley.

8 minutes ago, 18ck said:

My favourite bit of the allotment is under the blackcurrant bushes. I put a net over them in season to keep the pigeons off, so I have to crawl in under there. There's some wild mint growing around the base and blackcurrant and mint leaves have this in common: both give off a really strong smell if you so much as touch them. So you get these two really fresh, delicious smells swirling around. There's a little garlic too, which isn't quite so chatty but occasionally adds to the mix. Sometimes I just want to live under there. 

You cannot, because I'm now planning to make that my home.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Neither one. It's coriander. Which does like to be treated a bit more like a lady than parsley.

WTF???? 

You'll be telling me next eggplants are potatoes and not carrots. 

(well, in my defence, flat-leaf parsley and coriander do look very similar) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 18ck said:

WTF???? 

You'll be telling me next eggplants are potatoes and not carrots.

Which one looks more like an egg, buddy? Which one?

1 minute ago, 18ck said:

(well, in my defence, flat-leaf parsley and coriander do look very similar) 

They absolutely do. I think in old-timey days, more culturally imperialist gardeners used to call it Chinese parsley. I find it a much more tender plant, though. Not hard to grow, just... parsley is tough as old boots.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 18ck said:

Hm... Well some bits if Canada are South of lundun but not much.

I am confident I am in one of those parts :P

7 hours ago, 18ck said:

I take your point about the growing season though - I suppose I think of it as being cold all the time because the winter there is sooooo much colder.

See I can think of other parts of Canada that get way colder than my province but we still can hit -20C easily. Though a google search tells me Londons coldest temperature was -3C............. 😕 What even is that lol. 

We get hot and humid summers and Jan-Feb is bitter cold usually. But this year was pretty mild! 

7 hours ago, 18ck said:

I always have to Google cilantro because I can never remember if its what we call rocket or what we call parsley

Sorry I forgot you guys call it coriander.

7 hours ago, 18ck said:

That should be a candle scent. Sounds amazing! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

am confident I am in one of those parts :P

Good god, parts of it are at the same longitude as Northern Portugal. What geographical witchcraft is this? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Though a google search tells me Londons coldest temperature was -3C............. 😕

Coldest this year I assume? But yes, it doesn't get much colder. Thanks, gulf stream.

Mind you we had almost an inch of snow this year. It was chaos. If the whole country hadn't already been shut down it would have been totally shut down. 

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Sorry I forgot you guys call it coriander

I must admit I've never grown it. I only really use it in Dhal though so... 

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

That should be a candle scent. Sounds amazing

Yes, or a teabag flavour. Om nom. 

1 hour ago, fearless 2.0 said:

when you are done with your allotment I need you to get her here asap to work through my garden! I cant even......

Bring it on! The weather is beautiful here so I've been out all afternoon. It's like Portugal or tropical Canada. And my server is broken so I am taking an excuse to bunk off work. 

• That's Metal 1

15 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Good god, parts of it are at the same longitude as Northern Portugal. What geographical witchcraft is this? 

Latitude. Tch! 

12 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Coldest this year I assume? But yes, it doesn't get much colder. Thanks, gulf stream.

Actually, it was January 1795 during the "big freeze" lol. It got to -3.1C - but I am not sure how accurate this data is. 

12 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Mind you we had almost an inch of snow this year. It was chaos. If the whole country hadn't already been shut down it would have been totally shut down. 

Thats cute :)

4 hours ago, Rookie said:

Actually, it was January 1795 during the "big freeze" lol. It got to -3.1C - but I am not sure how accurate this data is. 

Hm, seems unlikely. I found a site that mentioned that but another one said that was the coldest ever January temoerature - meaning , the average temperature for the month was - 3.1. OK, I can believe that. That would be very unusually cold round these parts. 

According to Wikipedia the record low is - 18.7 in 1929, but I don't remember it ever being close to that cold. I'd have guessed - 10 or something, I think. 

4 hours ago, Rookie said:

Thats cute :)

I don't think you're appreciating the magnitude of our national trauma. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 18ck said:

According to Wikipedia the record low is - 18.7 in 1929, but I don't remember it ever being close to that cold. I'd have guessed - 10 or something, I think. 

You were there? You age well... 

2 minutes ago, 18ck said:

I don't think you're appreciating the magnitude of our national trauma. 

I think you are right haha.