11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Is there more to Festival Mode? I am curious.

Steady on now, let's not get carried away. 

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:35 PM, 18ck said:

Make a video in Portuguese 

Go rowing (the club has just opened up again) 

Get potatoes in the ground 

Well this failed. I only did the last one of these three. 

OK, four days left in the week

Tuesday - short run in the morning, build the raised bed in the evening

Wednesday - long run in the morning 

Thursday - go rowing

Friday - make that video

Oh god, now I'm doubting I can do these things, but if I don't put times on them I'll just keep putting them off. 

• Like 2

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

2 hours ago, 18ck said:

Steady on now, let's not get carried away. 

I'm not planning a pandemic party, I just don't know if we translate festival the same way. :D

2 hours ago, 18ck said:

Thursday - go rowing

I missed the rowing club! Oh god, I'm envious. I miss rowing. I can't even find a gym with a rowing machine here, and I really like rowing as just an exercise, let alone a water activity.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

22 hours ago, 18ck said:

Tuesday - short run in the morning, build the raised bed in the evening

The run went well. I did a 25 minute interval run. Only about 5 minutes of speediness, but it'll do. 

I did an hour and a half on the raised bed. The crate I'm building it out of proved harder to dismantle than I'd hoped though, and I'd started late anyway bcs Flyer needed help with her maths, so I've probably got another hour and a half to do tomorrow I reckon. 

Meditation was a wash. I just fell asleep sitting up and the next thing I knew it was half an hour later. 

Duolingo done, eating on track. All good. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

I request raised planter pictures. Thanks 

... So this will be late... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm not planning a pandemic party, I just don't know if we translate festival the same way. :D

Normally Festival Mode would involve day drinking and no showers but my family seemed to think I should omit those aspects 

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

missed the rowing club! Oh god, I'm envious. I miss rowing. I can't even find a gym with a rowing machine here, and I really like rowing as just an exercise, let alone a water activity.

It's certainly nice having it so close. Takes a lot of pre-planning though. Its not like running where you can just change your clothes nad get going. 

7 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

dude, to be honest, I love seeing you on twitter.. there, I said it! :) 

its snowing here and bitter cold... wtf????

Shh, dont encourage me. 

Yes the weather is disappointing for sure. 😕

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Normally Festival Mode would involve day drinking and no showers but my family seemed to think I should omit those aspects 

You know, I think a lot of people are observing that aspect of Festival Mode during the pandemic without realising it.

42 minutes ago, 18ck said:

It's certainly nice having it so close. Takes a lot of pre-planning though. Its not like running where you can just change your clothes nad get going. 

It's definitely higher overhead, especially if boats are being launched and stowed. It doesn't inherently suck like running, though, so there's that.

I love the whole-body aspect of it. Rowing is far more leg than people think, but there's just enough back, core, and arms to feel amazing when you're done. And being on the water is great when it's available.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It doesn't inherently suck like running, though, so there's that.

Harrumph! 

• Like 1

Hey! I just want to speak up and say that despite my knees disliking any running distance over 14 miles, I do enjoy running. It's quite meditative for me.

It's also, at the moment, quite the way for me to set my allergies off. Holy crap, I was sinussy for the past two days. Feelin' better today, thank the Universe.

I'm looking forward to see your raised gardening beds, and if possible, to watch your Portugese video. I am quite interested in learning Portugese as I love the sound of it and vibe big time with Fado and Brazilian music of all sorts.

So, yeah. Produce the goods!

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

I miss festivals xx

Yeah, it's tragic. By the time we get a chance to go, Flyer will probably be old enough to go with her friends so we won't be able to do the family camping thing again. 😢

• Sad 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, 18ck said:

5 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

Hey! I just want to speak up and say that despite my knees disliking any running distance over 14 miles, I do enjoy running. It's quite meditative for me.

It's also, at the moment, quite the way for me to set my allergies off. Holy crap, I was sinussy for the past two days. Feelin' better today, thank the Universe.

I'm looking forward to see your raised gardening beds, and if possible, to watch your Portugese video. I am quite interested in learning Portugese as I love the sound of it and vibe big time with Fado and Brazilian music of all sorts.

So, yeah. Produce the goods!

14 miles is quite... Adequate. I don't think you need to worry about missing out if you're throwing down half Ms. Most people don't get to find that out about themselves! Sorry to hear about the allergies though. That doesn't help.

So you're another lusophile! Out of interest, can you hear the difference in accent (and vocabulary and grammar, but those are probably less obvious!) between the fado and the Brazilian stuff? I really couldn't at first but it's so obvious now it smacks me on the face within the first two seconds. There's a really good album by Carminho (Fado singer) singing the songs of Jobim that's worth listening to if you haven't already heard it. She's had to tweak some of the lyrics to fit her own way of speaking, but it works really well and she has some really good Brazilian musicians backing her. 

• Like 1

Hm, not sure what happened with the quote there... 

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I value my knees.

Just run on your front foot, dude. All the cool kids are doing it. 

So today I woke up at 3.30 for some reason. Did my meditation (a good one) and Duolingo, then went for the run. It wasn't so great. I started well but then after about 3 miles my legs obviously decided that a long run the day after an interval run was kind of a shit idea. I was struggling on but them I got to a depressing bit in the book I'm audioreading and it killed my motivation so I was finished from then on, even after i switched to a cheerful podcast. 

Back at home, ate reasonably well throughout the day, worked and worked, then went out to carry on with the planter thing. I've finished it now but need to wait for the wood preserver to dry before I start filling it, so still no pics I'm afraid! 

It was bloody freezing (actual frost on the ground) this morning and I'm rethinking the rowing thing. I haven't been in a boat for a couple of years now, and I don't want to risk falling in on a day when that would be a medical emergency. Maybe I'll wait. I dunno. See if its any warmer, I suppose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18ck said:

between the fado and the Brazilian stuff? I really couldn't at first but it's so obvious now it smacks me on the face within the first two seconds. There's a really good album by Carminho (Fado singer) singing the songs of Jobim that's worth listening to if you haven't already heard it. She's had to tweak some of the lyrics to fit her own way of speaking, but it works really well and she has some really good Brazilian musicians backing her. 

I can hear the difference, but I'm usually fairly decent at noticing those kinds of things.

The Brazilian Portuguese "djee" sound, for example is quite distinctive. I'm a fan of Carminho already! What do you know?! Small musical world

• Like 1

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

On 4/7/2021 at 8:50 PM, TrashcanCarla said:

The Brazilian Portuguese "djee" sound, for example is quite distinctive. I'm a fan of Carminho already! What do you know?! Small musical world

*fado fistbump*

Lots of activity today from people offering job interviews. I'm not really sure I want the job but decided to throw myself into them anyway, see what the people are like, what they are expecting and all that. If nothing else, it'll be good interview practice. 

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I've binned some of my planned activities in favour of prepping for a zoom interview and a conversation with a recruiter tomorrow. 

Other than that:

The planter is I the ground and full of fluffy soil/sand/compost mix, and has a few strawberry plants in it but I ran out of daylight so still not quite finished. So many overruns! 

Did my meditation which went quite well and watched a video by a Buddhist mink... Mink? He was a monk, which is like a mink but their skins aren't as good for making coats out of. So as I was saying, yes, a monk recommended by Sara. He gave a pretty clear explanation of what it was about. Weirdly, it was less mystical than a typical Sam Harris thing. Which brings me to "are you even a monk, bro?" The fact that he talks about "reality" as if it were - you know - real, and seems to make his crust by doing corporate gigs made him seem like quite a sophisticated motivational speaker in a really cool outfit. 

Still, he didn't mention drugs or (at this stage) try to imply that I don't exist, and it was all very clear and engaging, so in fairness, I declare him the winner

Nirvana Botherers: 1

Hippy Scientists: 0

No exercise, too much food. Hmph, better out that in the scoreboard too

Nirvana Botherers: 1

Hippy Scientists: 0

Me:   -13

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 18ck said:

Weirdly, it was less mystical than a typical Sam Harris thing. Which brings me to "are you even a monk, bro?" The fact that he talks about "reality" as if it were - you know - real

Honestly, this seems moderately common among the monks and nuns I've seen doing western Buddhism (and some Japanese Buddhists). The mysticism does exist in some traditions, but in the west, it seems to have been most strongly latched onto by, ahem, reddit armchair philosophers who used to be stoics but now think they've latched onto a really clever way to question reality and appear deep. There's a type. The word "entrepreneur" often gets said and Elon Musk is cool rather than an asshole.

• Like 2