1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Morning - what is your plan today? Friday woooooo

xx

Yep. Ugh, though I'm going to need today to be about 56 hours long to fit everything in. The fun bit is going to be doing a HIIT workout with Flyer for the first time in a while and putting the remaining strawberry plants in the planter. Apart from that, I need to do a lot of study for the interview, along with my actual work and a couple of admin things. Plus, the gasman cometh this afternoon, so I'll have to have my mask on in the house while he rummages about. 

Oh well, it has to be got through, so I'll just try and do as much as I can. 

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

1 hour ago, fearless 2.0 said:

*giggling along..... and waving hello*

good luck with the interviews. It cant hurt if everyone wants to hire you... you get to choose the best fit. Go forth and slay!!!!!!!! :) 

😊 Thanks, I'll see how it goes. I suppose I'll have to put some clothes on for it if it's a video call. Well, on my top half, anyway. 

• Haha 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Honestly, this seems moderately common among the monks and nuns I've seen doing western Buddhism (and some Japanese Buddhists). The mysticism does exist in some traditions, but in the west, it seems to have been most strongly latched onto by, ahem, reddit armchair philosophers who used to be stoics but now think they've latched onto a really clever way to question reality and appear deep. There's a type.

Oh, OK, I didn't realise you felt the same way. I was a bit worried after I wrote this that I'd have offended you because he was your hero or something. 

Surprised at the chronology here though - people latching onto Buddhism that would previously have been stoiks*. In my mind, western Buddhists ("its not a religion, its a way of life") have been chic since the eighties. Possibly even earlier but I wasn't as well attuned to it in the seventies given that I was busy with primary school, but I've read books that refer to that time ("The Buddha of Suburbia" springs to mind).

I only started noticing stoiks around the early two thousands. In my mind it was shortly after that ropey Tom Wolfe book, "A Man In Full" came out, but he was probably tapping into something that was already happening. I can't believe he started it. 

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

The word "entrepreneur" often gets said and Elon Musk is cool rather than an asshole.

Ha ha, yes. In Britain we pronounce entrepreneur with its last syllable rhyming with "blur" and it's a dead giveaway if you meet someone who keeps lovingly referring to himself as an entreprenoooor every five seconds, that he (sorry to do the stereotype thing but yes, it's definitely a he) got his business education from YouTube videos of Ted Talks and Gary Vaynerchuk speeches. 

My surname IRL is Lusk and its a great sadness of my life that we never had a son that I could call Emon. 

*=I think I may have mentioned this in a previous thread but my daughter's IT teacher pronounces "stoic" to rhyme with "oik" and we find this so funny that I just spell it like this now in his honour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18ck said:

Oh, OK, I didn't realise you felt the same way. I was a bit worried after I wrote this that I'd have offended you because he was your hero or something. 

Nah, that was the first I'd seen of the guy.

I have an odd preference when it comes to Buddhism. I like it if it's intensely secular, but having seen some of the dumb-asses who are self-proclaimed experts (and less dumb people who nonetheless do terrible cultural translation of it), I do appreciate the formal training as an "I know what the hell I'm talking about" credential, so I have time for the monastics and ex-monastics. Fortunately, this is not an impossible niche; I don't necessarily consider those two things mutually exclusive, odd as that sounds. (Especially true if you're Japanese martial art adjacent, where it seems to have a long history of largely secularized cultural adoption into lots of traditional cultural practices.)

I think there's been a shift in who the Buddha-lite converts are. It used to be new age types in the 60s and 70s, and since the 2000s, it's wannabe tech bros who think they're hard but soulful. (And some actual tech bros, which I have less problem with, but wannabeism tends to be widespread and affect all parts of a person's life.) Like the stoic boys, they're armchair warriors but deep. The Buddhist ones are perhaps a little over the alt-right flirtation with Greco-Roman philosophy as the single cornerstone of civilization, or perhaps a little more into samurai or inner peace, but in reality there's sort of a pipeline between the two these days. You get lots of people trading their Buddha for Marcus Aurelius and vice versa, and then they all bang on together about how life is suffering and self-contemplation or something. They're all entrepreneurs, whether they know it or not.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

(I'm glad it compared favorably to Sam Harris, though. I wasn't sure if it'd hit the Sam Harris benchmark for you.) ;)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 4/6/2021 at 5:25 AM, Rookie said:

I request raised planter pictures. Thanks

... And also... 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:18 PM, TrashcanCarla said:

I'm looking forward to see your raised gardening beds

Thanks for taking an interest!

Long overdue pictures 

Before:

20210406_180437.thumb.jpg.d4c896e14c5b48712d0d482a63671f0e.jpg

And after:

20210409_180516.thumb.jpg.cd6f4e25c263135494454f5ca4370eb2.jpg

As you can see, I had the basic structure from the crate I recycled, just had to cut the bottom off, pry the planks apart and use them to plug the gaps then seal the whole thing so it won't rot away entirely in the first year. The strawberries have really been putting themselves about. There are dozens of spare plants that I've put into large pots to grow or smaller ones as "spares" in case any of this lot don't survive the transplant process. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 18ck said:

Yep. Ugh, though I'm going to need today to be about 56 hours long to fit everything in. The fun bit is going to be doing a HIIT workout with Flyer for the first time in a while and putting the remaining strawberry plants in the planter. Apart from that, I need to do a lot of study for the interview, along with my actual work and a couple of admin things. Plus, the gasman cometh this afternoon, so I'll have to have my mask on in the house while he rummages about. 

Oh well, it has to be got through, so I'll just try and do as much as I can. 

I dealt with the time famine by just not working. I had a touch of iritis so I decided to cut my screen time right down and called on sick. 

The interview went OK but didn't feel like it was likely to yield success. Meh, if they offer it I'll take it but I won't cry otherwise. It's my first zoom interview and it had about 4 skills in the JD that I baaaarely fit, so what are you gonna do? The company runs pawn shops of all things so I am now dreading the inevitable embarrassment as I unthinkingly explain to friends and family that yes, I'm working in the pawn industry now. 

HIIT done with flyer, planter completed, as you can see, meditation done (but my mind went off frolicking about the room) and Duolingo done but apart from that have been trying to rest my eyes. 

• That's Metal 1

7 hours ago, Rookie said:

This looks fabulous. Well done! 

Thanks. I am very proud of it and will be very upset in peak fruit season when I find a fox has used it as a bed and done a massive poo on top of one of the plants. 

On 4/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, sarakingdom said:

(I'm glad it compared favorably to Sam Harris, though. I wasn't sure if it'd hit the Sam Harris benchmark for you.) ;)

Yeah, he was OK. Superficially religious, but he'd obviously dialed it down a bit for the corporate audience. 

Yeah, I know what you mean about the bros with the classical busts as their twitter avatar. There are a lot that have watched 300 and used gtranslate to find out what veni vidi vici means and now reckon they're classicists. I haven't really seen any Buddha bros that I'm aware of, but then I don't really hang around in those circles,so maybe that's why I didn't recognise the trend you're talking about. I tend to think of western Buddhists as people who are into wellness and mindfulness and like saying "namaste" but not much more than that. But now you mention it, maybe some of the are fellow Harris fanboys subscribers. I can see how that might happen. 

20 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hey, any Sunday plans? xx

Good morning *raises hat*

Just more garden shit*, really. Press-ups for a workout. Revision with Flyer too, but she has plans to bake a cake with her friend so I'll have to work around that. 

You? 

*literally in this case; spreading horse manure compost is one of the day's jobs. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

love your planter! and appreciating you putting on pants for your interview! :) 

Have a great weekend! ❤️

Plants and pants. That's my life right now. I hope your weekend is going well too m'lady. 

12 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Just more garden shit*, really. Press-ups for a workout. Revision with Flyer too, but she has plans to bake a cake with her friend so I'll have to work around that. 

You? 

*literally in this case; spreading horse manure compost is one of the day's jobs. 

Sounds like a lovely day!

me? Pack, go to the tip, relax, watch football, cook.... xx

• Like 1

Yesterday um... 

Duolingo done, meditation done, but not well. My mind was a perfect smooth mirror of stillness until literally the first thought came along and then it was... 

tv shows 90s GIF

Workout was Just Dance with Flyer. It was pretty bad. I hadn't realised how floppy my legs were till I started. Squat jumps in yesterday's HIIT session obviously did them in, so I was shambling about. Also, the Just Dance camera makes me look about half as tall and twice as chubby as I actually am. It was a depressing spectacle. 

My eye is still playing up. I have been keeping it in check with saine rinses. I think I should probably take it to the hopsytel but the drops they give me for it aren't good for me in the long term, so I'm hoping to avoid doing that if I can. Annoying, I haven't had this happen for years and I thought I was over it for good. Blah blah blah, we're not here to talk eyeballs. Back to doing stuff.

Scouts huah! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Sounds like a lovely day!

me? Pack, go to the tip, relax, watch football, cook.... xx

Top tip (no pun intended) check online if there is a booking system at the tip. At ours, since they reopened, you have to schedule a slot in advance or they won't let you in, and they have extra rules in place to stop the spread of the lurgi. 

• Like 1

Just now, 18ck said:

Top tip (no pun intended) check online if there is a booking system at the tip. At ours, since they reopened, you have to schedule a slot in advance or they won't let you in, and they have extra rules in place to stop the spread of the lurgi. 

Its just a turn up at the one here thank fully!

I go most weeks cos i love the place HAAHAHAH xx

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, 18ck said:

I hope your weekend is going well too m'lady. 

You're required to tip your fedora when you say that to complete the stereotype.

fedora GIF

200.gif

Brony Fedora GIF by MC Wolfman

14 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Ahh, there we go. The world is back on its axis.

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

You're required to tip your fedora when you say that to complete the stereotype.

fedora GIF

200.gif

Brony Fedora GIF by MC Wolfman

Ahh, there we go. The world is back on its axis.

*recovers from gif-induced epileptic seizure*

Hm, I dunno, I raised my hat to @Salingerand said m'lady to @fearless 2.0 so unless they are the same person (what a final season plot twist that would be!) I think I've doubled the problem, not solved it. 

Sorry m'ladies 

*raises bobble-hat*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Bom dia, nerds

So yesterday's movememt was 120 press-ups and about 5 hours of fairly hard allotment work. I also did the meditation (not great), Duolingo and some Portuguese reading. Ate well too. Yeah, it was a solid day. Not a spectacular day but a solid day. 

• That's Metal 1

More allotment work. Very hard and exhausting. No meditation (booooo), Duolingo done and actually pretty terrible eating. OK, not such a great day. Running tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Today I did fairly minimal morning routine (Duolingo, meditation) and a long run. 

Work work work, then had an hour or so at the allotment hitting wood with various tools. 

Ate fairly well. 

Not too bad as days go. 

• Like 1