That's what I 'ment' [sylph]

On 3/26/2021 at 3:51 AM, Mad Hatter said:

@PaulG will consider this sacrilegious haha, but sometimes it's also possible to repurpose food that you get bored with. Say you made chicken with garlic and herbs and you get bored of it, you can reflavour it into a vaguely fake Korean dish by adding gochujang and stuff. Obviously that only works when you go from a not so strong flavour to a very strong flavour. 

Hahah.

RE: the cooking conversation -- I find it very helpful to prepare parts or ingredients for meals that don't all need to be used the same way. Aka cooking a bunch of shredded chicken, making a big batch of beans, prepping slaw,  pickling onions, etc. And I love Mexican food, so those can all be combined into different things, and as the joke goes 😂

But something like prepared proteins can be so easy to put into or with other things -- throw them in pasta salad, enchiladas, mac and cheese, quesadilla, smother in BBQ or Frank's for a buffalo version of a thing, haha.

1 hour ago, sylph said:

With the arrival of the lounge chairs came a convenient stretch of sunny weather. Hubs and I spent a few afternoons sitting outside in the chairs drinking margaritas and reading books. It felt like we were on vacation and it was glorious. :)

Ahhh, love. 

Monday I woke up and my back was Unhappy. Severely. Like, walking cautiously and making careful slow movements only levels of Unhappy. Still not really sure what the issue was, or wasn't, but Tuesday was also bad (and somewhat anxiety inducing as it was coupled with the bottoms of my feet feeling all tingly for large stretches of the day--unnerving to say the least). Slept irregularly last night and today feel a bit better. Back is calmer and the tingles have faded. Hopefully my concerns of vaccination-induced Guillain–Barré syndrome are unfounded and I will continue to feel better throughout the rest of the day.

Phew, glad your back chilled out. 

Speaking of, our second vaccine dose is on the calendar for a week from tomorrow. Fingers crossed that all goes well and two weeks after that we will be as fully protected as we can be in the current state. 

WOOOO!!!! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

20 hours ago, raptron said:

I find it very helpful to prepare parts or ingredients for meals that don't all need to be used the same way. Aka cooking a bunch of shredded chicken, making a big batch of beans, prepping slaw,  pickling onions, etc. 

I would love to do this. I just don't have a brain that works in a mix-and-match way, most of the time. I need a clear plan, recipe or outline. I'm not an intuitive cook whatsoever.

Week 1. Wednesday.

Busy day at work with lots of meetings and whatnot sapped a lot of my brainspace.

Environment

More weeds pulled. (so exciting!) Hubs mowed the yard. Not much else by way of nesting/home stuff.

Movement

Pre-work walk (see weeding above) and also an evening walk with hubs. We are strategically walking at differing times in the evenings to try to catch some of our neighbors outdoors. It has been minimally successful, except for one day when we met 3 different households out and about. It is a very quiet neighborhood, which is great, but I would like to have some way to feel like part of the community a bit.

Also, continued some underpants-gathering with a look at a sample week workout from Strong Strong Friends. Gym and at-home samples were included. If I can ever make myself actually workout, I will see how their programming is. It's $8/month, so not terrible, but I'm also pretty alright at my own programming most of the time so it's hard to say whether it's worth it or not.

Nourishment

Leftover tomato/feta stuff. It did not come out as good this time, even the day after where I'd hoped the flavors would blend/intensify a bit as Italian food often does--I think I needed to roast it a bit longer (maybe the tomatoes weren't quite as ripe as usual? they didn't come out as sweet) plus I had to get Italian sausage from a different store and I think it was not seasoned the same. Rather disappointing, actually. :( Next time, I guess. Still quite a bit left of that, so probably Cowboy Caviar tomorrow.

Also, hubs and I now have all the stuff to attempt our own margaritas. The mix from Costco is A+, but we'll see how home-mixed turn out. Of course, it's supposed to be cooler this weekend, so not quite pool-and-margarita weather, but we will suffer through it for science ;)

• Like 4

Week 1. Thursday.

Environment

Nothing much here, though hubs and I did mention that we'd fallen off the wagon with this a bit. Something will be done about that this weekend, though I'm not sure what. (We have just bought a new video game, so attention will be severely divided.) It would be nice to get the rest of the art hung that we want to hang and to sort through/get rid of/pack up the rest. There are also a few things I'm planning to list on FB marketplace or next-door or something so probably need to get that sorted as well.

Movement

Pre-work walk. Check. Evening walk with hubs. Check.

Nourishment

Leftover tomato feta pasta again. Added a little sour cream to the leftovers and the taste was a bit improved. Better than nothing, any how.

• Like 3
On 4/1/2021 at 6:29 AM, sylph said:

Leftover tomato/feta stuff. It did not come out as good this time, even the day after where I'd hoped the flavors would blend/intensify a bit as Italian food often does--I think I needed to roast it a bit longer (maybe the tomatoes weren't quite as ripe as usual? they didn't come out as sweet) plus I had to get Italian sausage from a different store and I think it was not seasoned the same. Rather disappointing, actually.

Whenever I read stuff like this I have an overwhelming itch to just start throwing in salt and acid. Fish sauce! Sauerkraut juice! Tamarind! It always amazes me when flavors are just... not... there, but you can't put your finger on why, how often a little more salt brightens things up. It sounds like you added some acid to good effect the next day, though.

HOW. WERE. THE. MARGARITAS??!

On 4/1/2021 at 6:19 AM, sylph said:

I would love to do this. I just don't have a brain that works in a mix-and-match way, most of the time. I need a clear plan, recipe or outline. I'm not an intuitive cook whatsoever.

There are only a couple real rules of thumb for that skill, and @raptron has put her finger on RULE 1: yesterday's roast chicken/pork loin/fish/WHATEVER are today's delicious tacos.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Back issues seem to be going around these days.  Glad yours is feeling better

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 4/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, PaulG said:

HOW. WERE. THE. MARGARITAS??!

More experimentation needed. We did not measure things very closely, so it was hard to compare, really. But, they were margaritas, so there was inherent value, regardless. ;)

On 4/4/2021 at 4:06 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Back issues seem to be going around these days.  Glad yours is feeling better

Yeah, it was a very odd thing out of nowhere...

So I have done shit about shit with keeping up with my challenge this time around, for whatever reason, both here in the thread and in doing actual things.

I did not do most of the things I'd planned on the last time I posted.

Some stuff:

• Hubs has been a decluttering rockstar this past week--cleaning off the kitchen table so I actually am able to eat breakfast while sitting at it (amazing) and tackling the giant mountain of 'we don't have a basement anymore' stuff that's mounded in the third bay of the garage. I have done bupkis.
  • Over the weekend I coordinated some stuff with my littler sister for her wedding via zoom. I will not be traveling to where she is and neither are a few other guests, so she wants to make sure the tech stuff goes off without a hitch. Fingers crossed that this all happens smoothly.
  • We got our second vaccine doses Tuesday. It hit me harder than hubs, so I spent the day feeling pretty much like garbage until after dinner or sometime shortly thereafter.
  • Despite that, I finally made the Cowboy Caviar I'd been meaning to put together for a week. It's okay, but definitely more in the salsa/side dish category than something that can/should be eaten as a meal on its own. It needs pasta or protein or SOMETHING to make it feel like real food. If we'd had any tortilla chips left, I'd have eaten it like salsa.
  • Grocery order getting picked up this afternoon. No real plans for interesting foods to make. (see the feeling like garbage of yesterday for a reason for this failure)
  • Hubs and I are playing the SHIT out of Outriders this week. So. Much. Fun. Story is surprisingly well-written and the voice acting is On Point.

Edit: Oh! I signed up for a sample week from Strong Strong Friends (as mentioned previously). At the end of last week, I actually did one of their workouts. Not bad. I don't know that I'm willing to spend money on it, but I did do a thing. Of course, it's been almost a week and I have yet to do another thing...

Once our immunity is all up to par, I think I need to investigate joining an actual gym...

Oh, and this morning I set up an appointment for my annual mammogram. Wheeeee

• Like 2
On 4/8/2021 at 6:34 PM, sylph said:

So I have done shit about shit with keeping up with my challenge this time around, for whatever reason, both here in the thread and in doing actual things.

Even if you're not doing the things you've set out to you're still doing a lot! And if it makes you feel better, I can't even remember my goals. Or what challenge week it is. 😄

On 4/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, sylph said:

• Despite that, I finally made the Cowboy Caviar I'd been meaning to put together for a week. It's okay, but definitely more in the salsa/side dish category than something that can/should be eaten as a meal on its own. It needs pasta or protein or SOMETHING to make it feel like real food. If we'd had any tortilla chips left, I'd have eaten it like salsa.

I def eat it like salsa most of the time, haha. 

On 4/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, sylph said:

Edit: Oh! I signed up for a sample week from Strong Strong Friends (as mentioned previously). At the end of last week, I actually did one of their workouts. Not bad. I don't know that I'm willing to spend money on it, but I did do a thing. Of course, it's been almost a week and I have yet to do another thing...

Once our immunity is all up to par, I think I need to investigate joining an actual gym...

Oh, and this morning I set up an appointment for my annual mammogram. Wheeeee

Ah, yes, the beloved boob smoosher.

I hadn't heard of Strong Strong Friends until reading your thread but it looks like a solid thing. If you aren't sure what kind of programming you wanna do, it could be a nice way to get back into regular workouts once you are in a gym? 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'm still here...kind of.

End of last week/over the weekend I was dealing with a sick/vomiting cat and so had to rush her to the vet's office. Of course, we haven't established a veterinarian here, yet, since we just moved in Feb, so I picked somewhere close, was super grateful that they were able to get her in, and put the poor girl through a multitude of stress and tests to figure out what's been going on with her. Current theory is kidney disease (she is 13 years old and a cat, after all) so we've made some dietary adjustments, are keeping her as hydrated as possible (she gets canned food, hooray for her!) and will go back late next week for a recheck of her blood work to see whether we've gotten things under control.

Monday, I went to my doctor's office to get my BC implant removed/replaced. Only they didn't have it and no one called me to tell me that they didn't have it. Awesome. And they couldn't really point me in the right direction to resolve why they didn't have it either. I have since spent a good portion of my time since Monday afternoon talking with: my insurance company, my doctor's office (when I can get them on the phone), the specialty pharmacy where they are ordering my implant from and the freaking COMPANY that makes the implant in order to try to figure this out. I'm still not sure whether it's all sorted out, but am now in a 'see if that made any difference' waiting mode and will be reaching out to my doctor AGAIN this afternoon if I don't hear from them to determine WTF I have to do next. Also there is some weirdness that my insurance company is based in MI and there are apparently (?) rules that they cannot call doctors offices in FL for some silly reason. Dumb.

In between all of that I've been doing a pretty good job of getting morning walks in and a few evening ones with hubs. No other real fitness things to speak of.

We have done further testing with margarita making. The 'purist' ratio I found online is a 3:2:1 Tequila:Triple Sec:Lime Juice. This makes for a VERY strong drink (as you may imagine) though it tastes almost right. Without getting a wide variety of tequilas and triple secs to experiment with, (maybe eventually) it's hard to say whether the 'almost' is fixable or we should just stick with our pre-made-Costco-brand-alcohol-included. It's certainly much simpler, and not terribly expensive, so we shall see where we go from here.

In other news, we are more than one week past our second dose of the Pfizer vaccine so are pretty well-covered at this point. Hooray! This weekend I many venture INTO a grocery store for the first time in over a year to do our regular shopping. It might be nice to actually pick out my own produce and decide which thing I want when they are out of my targeted item... I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon, though. ;)

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 2:37 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Even if you're not doing the things you've set out to you're still doing a lot! And if it makes you feel better, I can't even remember my goals. Or what challenge week it is. 😄

Hah.

would like to have some kind of fitness life again, but currently I am clearly not prioritizing it. I am trying to be okay with that. 

On 4/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, raptron said:

I def eat it like salsa most of the time, haha. 

Ah, yes, the beloved boob smoosher.

I hadn't heard of Strong Strong Friends until reading your thread but it looks like a solid thing. If you aren't sure what kind of programming you wanna do, it could be a nice way to get back into regular workouts once you are in a gym? 

We did get some tortilla chips and ate the rest of it as salsa. Tasty that way and I'll have to remember it for the future. The chopping wasn't too awful--I put on an audiobook while I was doing it so I didn't get too bored.

At least the imaging place isn't too far from my house so I don't have to traipse all over creation without deodorant for the doubtful honor of having my boobs squeezed.

It very well could be! I'm not bad at programming for myself in a gym (I tend to like push/pull/legs most of the time) but it might be nice to outsource that at some point.

• Like 1

GAAAAAHHH about the whole BC debacle!

Hope kitty will be ok. 😢

20 minutes ago, sylph said:

would like to have some kind of fitness life again, but currently I am clearly not prioritizing it. I am trying to be okay with that. 

It's ok, there's plenty of time!

On 4/15/2021 at 10:20 AM, sylph said:

End of last week/over the weekend I was dealing with a sick/vomiting cat and so had to rush her to the vet's office. Of course, we haven't established a veterinarian here, yet, since we just moved in Feb, so I picked somewhere close, was super grateful that they were able to get her in, and put the poor girl through a multitude of stress and tests to figure out what's been going on with her. Current theory is kidney disease (she is 13 years old and a cat, after all) so we've made some dietary adjustments, are keeping her as hydrated as possible (she gets canned food, hooray for her!) and will go back late next week for a recheck of her blood work to see whether we've gotten things under control.

Aw, kitty. 

Monday, I went to my doctor's office to get my BC implant removed/replaced. Only they didn't have it and no one called me to tell me that they didn't have it. Awesome. And they couldn't really point me in the right direction to resolve why they didn't have it either. I have since spent a good portion of my time since Monday afternoon talking with: my insurance company, my doctor's office (when I can get them on the phone), the specialty pharmacy where they are ordering my implant from and the freaking COMPANY that makes the implant in order to try to figure this out. I'm still not sure whether it's all sorted out, but am now in a 'see if that made any difference' waiting mode and will be reaching out to my doctor AGAIN this afternoon if I don't hear from them to determine WTF I have to do next. Also there is some weirdness that my insurance company is based in MI and there are apparently (?) rules that they cannot call doctors offices in FL for some silly reason. Dumb.

Whaaat. This is all so weird and frustrating. Hope they sort this shit out for you. 

In other news, we are more than one week past our second dose of the Pfizer vaccine so are pretty well-covered at this point. Hooray! 

Congrats on your fully vaccinated status!! 

Raptron, alot assassin

On 4/15/2021 at 10:44 AM, Mad Hatter said:

GAAAAAHHH about the whole BC debacle!

Hope kitty will be ok. 😢

It's ok, there's plenty of time!

On 4/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, raptron said:

Aw, kitty. 

Whaaat. This is all so weird and frustrating. Hope they sort this shit out for you. 

Congrats on your fully vaccinated status!! 

BC kerfuffle is annoying. Not just the bureaucratic nonsense, but the fact that my doctor's office didn't call me to say they didn't have the implant UNTIL I WAS WAITING IN THE WAITING ROOM ALREADY! ARHGGRHGGRHGR! 

Anyway, I think I've sorted it out now. On the plus side, when you have to call Nexplanon as a patient, you hit one button and get connected to a REAL person almost immediately. The three times I called them, all three CSRs were amazing and helpful, but none so much as the last one who sorted out all the issues, told me what the problem had been and then looked ahead to determine wether anything else could have been a problem (she verified the next step for me in real time, essentially). She was so great and compassionate that I asked for her supervisor's phone number to tell them how helpful she'd been. I know CS is a rather thankless job, and when I asked that, it totally sounded like I made her day. :) I called her supervisor immediately after we hung up and left a glowing voicemail.

Kitty is doing well--she's finally become a bit suspicious of all the canned food she's been getting, but is still eating enough combo of dry & canned, I think. She's also acting entirely like herself which is promising (except for the giant thunderstorms that we've had the last few days which I think are... not her favorite)

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, sylph said:

She was so great and compassionate that I asked for her supervisor's phone number to tell them how helpful she'd been. I know CS is a rather thankless job, and when I asked that, it totally sounded like I made her day. :) I called her supervisor immediately after we hung up and left a glowing voicemail.

That's awesome of you, have some imaginary brownie points! 

Been awhile since updating--I'm still here even though my challenge is tanked.

Repeat bloodwork for the cat was EXCELLENT. Like, right down the middle excellent. She'll stay on her new food and we'll recheck when she's in for her vaccines in a month or so, but we are SO SO SO relieved, it's almost comical.

BC kerfuffle is finally sorted? After one million phone calls to half a dozen bureaucracy-filled institutions , conflicting information and still not quite knowing what the problem actually was, my doctor's office called to let me know they had my implant in house and I have an appointment for May 10...a month after I was originally supposed to get it, but (thankfully) still within the 'expiration' of my previous one.  So effing annoying.

Oh, also I think spring is over. The forecast is in the 88-92 F range for the foreseeable future and the humidity on my morning walk this morning was gross.

Yesterday we did some cleaning/steam mopping/organizing but it was maintenance cleaning more than actual improvement.

Also grocery shopped and vegged out by the pool as we try to determine what vehicle we get next (mine is older and getting to the point of replacement, but there is nothing I want so we're brainstorming some options).

• Like 2