Artemis Prime, the Redhorn Pass, and the Doors of Moria

Another challenge, another Lord of the Rings theme for me, because I don't believe I will ever get tired of this. And this one conveniently lines up with my Walk to Mordor progress!

Going to stick with my six stats for breaking down challenge goals, but getting rid of experience points because I did not find that helpful.

572490629_nojoy.gif.a04d57d7511752747fda883e7687af36.gif

For those of you who may be less familiar with Middle Earth Walking Tours, the Redhorn Pass is where the fellowship decided to turn around and go through Moria because they weren't making any progress on their current path.

93704900_DeathoftheHobbits.gif.a90596b030687c0282df19fdd532033d.gif

I wouldn't say that I was making no progress, but I was definitely getting bored with some of my routines, so some of my quests are going to stay the same, but some are going to get revamped. So, without further ado:

THE SPRING CHALLENGE QUEST: THE REDHORN PASS

Constitution: Haven't done great at taking my vitamin, but also feel like I need to do something different here, so for this challenge I'm focusing on SLEEP HYGIENE. Mainly, no screens after 9, exception being reading on my Kindle with the blue light filter.

Presence: Still going to play with my blog on the side, but going to switch my focus to building my critique circle. I've already made some progress networking on a critique site, just need to keep going with that, so the goal for this challenge is 2 critiques per week.

Intuition: Didn't quite make this goal on my last challenge. I want to keep working on my book, but I'm going to switch this to a time-based challenge. Starting goal is 1 hour/week, shooting for 3 20 minute sessions.

Strength:I was getting a bit bored with my workout routine, so going to shake that up a little here too. First, I'm repeating the chin up challenge from the Journey app. Started last night, since it's a six week challenge and I didn't want to start today because I'm getting my fist covid shot after work. Second, alternate squats/deadlifts on my chin up days. Last night it was squats. Taking a break from pistol squats for now to make my knees happy. Third, test out Grease the Groove training with pushups. Didn't start yet in case I have a bad reaction to the vaccine and have to take a couple days off, but goal is to start later this week if all goes well or at the start of Week One next week if all else fails. Shooting for 25-30 pushups/day, so 3-5reps for 6-10 sets.

Intelligence: The barn planning continues. I've calculated the board feet I need for the shell, so for this challenge I'm working on getting estimates and nailing down suppliers for lumber, roofing, and windows. HOPING TO BREAK GROUND BY THE END OF THIS CHALLENGE! EEEEK!

Agility: Last challenge's goal was a stretch, but I made it, and with longer and nicer days, I'm going for a stretch again. Shooting for the Doors of Moria, which makes a nice landmark and introduces my bonus quest this challenge...

SPEAK FRIEND AND ENTER

Hollin Gate-1.jpg

This hardcore introvert has been enabled a little too much by the pandemic. I really need to start hanging out with people more, which is also helped by the vaccine situation. Goal this challenge is going to be to hang out with DB at least once this challenge and SM at least once. Bonus points if I get together with HW, but they're coming into their busy time of year with showing, so that might not work out.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

11 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey!!!!! Hoping you are doing GREAT xx

Thanks! Arm's a little sore from my shot yesterday, and didn't sleep great because of it, but still feeling pretty chipper.

Glad I did my chin ups Sunday, because my arm is not happy with the covid vaccine. Got it in my left arm, which made sense to me since I'm right handed, but I also usually sleep on my left side, so I kept rolling onto it last night, which made for some rough sleep. But I put my phone down right at 9 last night. Also made plans to carpool down to my ministry training tomorrow, which is good for the environment and means I'm spending time with another human instead of being alone in my truck. Planning to help my neighbor with some yard work this afternoon, but also kind of thinking about begging off depending on how my arm feels later in the day. Regardless, should have time today to either do a critique or work on my book.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Just had my lunch. Arm is still a little sore, but just like a little muscle ache, nothing too bad. 

Little added bonus today, someone brought doughnuts into the front office, but I just went in, grabbed my file, and right back out again without even peeking into the box. I'm not super strict about my nutrition, but I do try to avoid crazy amounts of processed sugar. 

Great job on the doughnuts! Surprise office treats can be so hard to resist - way to go! Glad to hear your arm is doing a little bit better too. My husband had his first shot yesterday morning and it was definitely bugging him all night too. My first shot is tomorrow afternoon and I'm a little nervous about it (but way more nervous about covid so don't worry, I won't back out). Following along :)

• Thanks 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Gears Up for 2022

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

I feel like you really can't go wrong with an LotR theme. Looks like you have some great goals lined up!

• Thanks 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

Whew, what a week! Spent the last two days with my ministry training cohort, which is super fun and challenging and supportive and intense and I am wiped. In addition to lots of other good stuff that happened the last two days, I have come to the decision to leave my current church. It's something I've been wrestling with for a long time, but I do not believe their stance on women in leadership is going to change any time soon (or possibly ever) and I don't feel like I can live up to my calling under their restrictions. It's a hard choice for me, but the best thing to come out of the past two days is that I've got a sense of peace over my decision. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. 

So with all that going on, I wasn't too concerned about week zero goals, but I did try not to go too off the rails.

Constitution: Tuesday night I put my phone down right at 9 again. Wednesday and Thursday though, my mind wouldn't shut off after I went to bed so I ended up playing on my phone, thinking a little mindless activity might help me wind down. Spoiler alert: it did not.

Presence: I critiqued a chapter on Tuesday, didn't have any time or mental energy to do any Wed or Thurs, but should be able to do some today, although I still feel a little fried, so maybe I'll put this off until tomorrow.

Intuition: Nothing yet. Planning to do a little writing today, but again, the creative energy (along with every other kind of energy) is a bit low today.

Strength: By the end of the day Tuesday, my arm was feeling much better and I was thinking I could start pushups the next day, but then when I woke up Wednesday, my arm hurt worse than it had since I got the shot. Took some ibuprofen and by Thursday morning, I was ready to go. Only got 3 sets in yesterday, was hoping for more, but it's a start. Already have 1 set in today. Hoping that a chin up workout this afternoon will also let my mind finally turn off. Feels like it's been running at max RPMs for two days now.

Intelligence: Didn't do anything with the barn planning, but I meant to give that a little break until the challenge officially starts next week anyways. 

Agility: Spent most of the last two days sitting in trainings, so did not get the miles I sort of hoped for. Could have gotten them in during lunch breaks, but I decided to hang out with the group instead, which I don't really regret, even if I feel like I really should have moved more this week.

Speak Friend: Have plans to hang out with DB on April 18th. Didn't really count the training as hanging out since it was so taxing, but it was a great time with really great people and I especially enjoyed getting to debrief a little while carpooling back and forth.

Sorry I haven't checked in on your threads, don't have the spoons for it right now. Might pop in over the weekend, or might just take the time to decompress. Either way, happy Friday, you lovely rebels and see you all for Week One!

On 3/22/2021 at 8:31 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Another challenge, another Lord of the Rings theme for me, because I don't believe I will ever get tired of this. 

Nor should you!  I saw a meme yesterday talking about Peter Jackson releasing the Jackson Cut of Lord of the Rings in response to the Snider Cut of Justice League... and that it would be approximately 8.7 days long.  

My thought?  That doesn't sound like a bad thing... 🤣

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:38 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Nor should you!  I saw a meme yesterday talking about Peter Jackson releasing the Jackson Cut of Lord of the Rings in response to the Snider Cut of Justice League... and that it would be approximately 8.7 days long.  

My thought?  That doesn't sound like a bad thing... 🤣

Not a bad thing at all!

All right, last week was kind of lax on purpose, but it's week one now, so LET'S DO THIS!!!!

DarkwingDuck.gif.d68b5dfb86355cdcdf925750d73adb35.gif

WEEK ONE GOALS

Constitution: I'm going to get a little stricter with my screen time. Even when I put my phone down at 9, if I've been on it too much, I've fatigued my eyes, which means I don't want to do anything that forces my eyes to focus that much, so reading is out, and then I don't know what to do with myself until bed. So no games or social media after dinner.

Presence: Only got one critique in last week, but that's because I did not have the mental energy for it after my two intensive training days. Shouldn't have a problem getting two in this week.

Intuition: If I'm going to get any writing done, I need to clean up the disaster that is my desk. So while I listen to the hockey game tonight, I'll get my writing space sorted.

Strength: I missed a chin up workout last week. Can technically get back on track this week, but I might not worry about catching back up because I get my second covid shot in two weeks and that's probably going to throw me off again. Even if I don't have a bad reaction, my arm will probably be sore enough to make me miss at least one workout.

Push up wise, I'm not doing great with Grease the Groove. Discovered the problem is I try to cram a bunch of sets into the morning so I can say I got them done, but that's fatiguing me too much and is completely not how GtG is supposed to work. Focus this week is going to be on keeping things spread out through the day more.

Intelligence: Contacted a sawmill last week and they can get me the lumber I need for a reasonable price, but I've got a few other places I want to contact to check other prices.

Agility: Did not do great at getting miles in last week, but I figured I wouldn't. Didn't do as badly as I feared I would, but I am going to have to stay on top of things to reach my goal this challenge.

Speak Friend: Actually had the chance to hang out with HW this weekend, but I ended up passing on it because I don't like some of his other friends who were going to be there. He was just a bonus goal this challenge anyways, I've got DB locked in and will find time to meet up with SM in April.

Happy Tuesday!

I cheated on my screen time a little last night while listening to the game. I should dig my crochet hooks out again so I can do something while the games are on without getting my phone out. Slept great last night, though, so no harm done I guess. Critiqued a chapter yesterday, got my chin ups in (skipped squats for time though), cleared my desk off, did some push ups, looked up a few other sawmills and hung out with my horses a little. So a solid start to the week, which is good because I'm helping my neighbor today and usually by the time I'm done at her place, get a shower and eat dinner, I'm wiped. So not much on the slate today, although I'm  hoping to steal a little work time to either crit another chapter or work on my outline. Might also send a message to those sawmills I looked up to get a lumber quote.

• Like 1

Ooof, back hurts today from doing my neighbor's yard work yesterday. Kind of mad at myself, because I suspected that I was overdoing it, but I was trying to go quick and get things done. Today is supposed to be a chin up today. Should be able to get it done, but if nothing else I'll hang on the bar for a while to stretch my back out. Lousy weather today, if it clears up a little I'd like to get my brooder set up - getting my broilers Saturday. If the weather stays miserable, I'll stay inside and work on my book.

• Like 1

Oooh, chickens! Clearly you have a lot more space than us if you have horses and are building a barn, hahaha, but we really want to get chickens too. Of course, our current town doesn't allow chickens despite every single surrounding town saying it's fine 🙄 but maybe someday one of the petitions we've signed will go through and that'll change. Hope the weather played nice for you!

• Like 1

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

Hope the back heals quickly. I  have found that just hanging from the bar is a good back stretch. I can be really hit with GTG.I do the best when I do it at a set time, such as the top of every hour.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

13 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Oooh, chickens! Clearly you have a lot more space than us if you have horses and are building a barn, hahaha, but we really want to get chickens too. Of course, our current town doesn't allow chickens despite every single surrounding town saying it's fine 🙄 but maybe someday one of the petitions we've signed will go through and that'll change. Hope the weather played nice for you!

Where I live, most people consider my property to be a bit small, but for most people it would be a lot. It was strip mined, so the topsoil is practically nonexistent, but after 30 years we're making progress on rebuilding it, and I like watching the land come back to life. I lived in town for 4 years to go to college, and there were definitely things I loved about it, but I was ready to rural again by the time I got my degree. Keep pushing on the petition! The weather did play nice, but I did not...

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope the back heals quickly. I  have found that just hanging from the bar is a good back stretch. I can be really hit with GTG.I do the best when I do it at a set time, such as the top of every hour.

Yeah, GTG isn't going that well, but I need to get more of a routine going. Not ready to give up on it yet.

Took some ibuprofen yesterday and my back was starting to feel good enough that I thought I might do the chin ups, but after throwing hay to my horses, I was done. Weather cleared up, but I just went inside and put a heating pad on my back. Means I just lay there and read most of the evening, but the weekend is shaping up to be really busy, so I don't mind taking an evening to relax before charging into Easter.

Going to my sister's tonight, going to try to get the chin ups in before I go. I have one set of push ups in today. I'm going to shoot for every other hour from 7 to 5 (on average, maybe some days more, other days less). Part of the problem is I'm trying to wait until my coworkers step out of the office and bang them out. Going to have to suck up the self-consciousness and tell them "hey guys, doing a push up experiment, close that door and let me get this set in." They'll probably actually get a kick out of it and turn out to be good accountability for me.

• Like 1

I realized I said I could be really hit with GTG, what I was trying to say was really hit or miss! Like you said, if I get into a routine with it, it works, but otherwise I tend to forget until the end of the day

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 4/1/2021 at 8:01 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Where I live, most people consider my property to be a bit small, but for most people it would be a lot. It was strip mined, so the topsoil is practically nonexistent, but after 30 years we're making progress on rebuilding it, and I like watching the land come back to life. I lived in town for 4 years to go to college, and there were definitely things I loved about it, but I was ready to rural again by the time I got my degree. Keep pushing on the petition! The weather did play nice, but I did not...

That's awesome!! Our original life plan sounds similar - we were going to buy a little acreage in a largely abandoned local area and turn it into a little family hobby farm/nature retreat type of thing, but reality intervened via job and medical needs and we had to stay closer to the city. We've compromised by settling into a small town that's just barely outside the metro area - if they'd kept developing in our direction we probably would have been officially a suburb years ago, but for whatever reason they quit building out east and started developing to the south ~10 years ago - but a lot of the laws were written with that "we'll be under development soon" mentality and haven't changed. 

Hope your recharge time was relaxing and your Easter weekend is going great! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 12:51 AM, Salinger said:

Hope you are well AP!! ❤️ xx

On 4/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, kcaleece said:

Hope your recharge time was relaxing and your Easter weekend is going great! 

Hey guys, thanks for checking in. I unplugged a while, but had a good time. Friday was pretty busy between work and church. Saturday I did my pushups all day starting at 9 and got a chin up workout in. Also did a ton of outside stuff to clean up for my niece and nephew's egg hunt, did some novel work, and hovered over my new peeps way too much. They're so stinking cute at this stage, I feel bad about their fate, but I kind of think if you can't look your dinner in the eye now and then, you should maybe consider going vegetarian.

Wanted to update more, but got to run to a work training. Stay tuned for more!

• Like 1

All right, here's how things currently stand:

Constitution: Been doing pretty good with limiting screen time and I definitely feel like I've been sleeping better. Good progress here.

Presence: I've been slipping on my critiques. The site as a whole is pretty quiet right now, probably because of NaNo. No reason I shouldn't be able to get a couple critiques in a week, just need to make it more of a priority.

Intuition: Getting antsy to just start writing the book, but I've had enough projects stall out on me halfway through, I really want to stick to all the prep work before I start drafting. Have one more storyline to outline and then I want to organize my characters.

Strength: Did my chin ups Saturday and Monday. Today's another chin up day. I've been skipping my legs because my knees have been a bit creaky lately. Part of me thinks I should push through to strengthen them so they get less creaky, and part of me thinks I should let them rest when they're feeling off. Haven't been doing great with my push ups. 

Intelligence: So my lumber guy can get me all my framing, but he's being a bit vague on my siding. I haven't been able to talk to him directly, it's all messaging back and forth, but hoping to get this straightened out. Also need to contact roofing suppliers.

Agility: I've not been doing great on this. Not terrible, but I'm not going to make my stretch goal at this pace. Still plenty of time left, though, so we'll see how it goes.

Speak Friend: I always forget how freaking busy April is for my family. We've got a ton of birthdays this month, plus Easter this year. Still have plans with DB, but SM might have to wait until next month.  But again, plenty of time so we'll see.

18 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

The Ents have been active lately, I am glad you found a reasonable source for lumber! I bought enough to build a small chick pen and could not believe the price hike

Yeah, it's not the best time ever to build a barn, but going directly through a sawmill saved me a ton of money over a lumber yard.

• Like 1