TrashcanCarla Duct Tapes Together Some Power Armor

So… I completely drifted away from the last challenge, but that’s why we have opportunities to keep challenging ourselves, amiright? Whoa. Why didn’t Word notice that I just made up a word? Is that a word? What is happening to the dictionary, these days (shakes head). I digress. This challenge is going to be a battle against my worst inclinations. I’m going to make even smaller increments with little bonus goals (inspired by @cn3wton’s Saiyan plan) to add some extra awesome to this challenge. I’m going to ditch the points this time and just use the honor system to self-determine whether I’ve earned my armor. For exercise, I’m going to be choosing HIIT workouts such as kettlebell swings, kettlebell interval sequences, shadow boxing via BB’s 10 Rounds and intense Just Dance sessions. I’ll also be (hopefully) lacing on my jogging shoes and doing some hikes and interval jog-walks.

“Road’s pretty long from here.” – Trashcan Carla

JjnqTOt.jpg

===

Objective: Build habits that help me feel better health-wise, and creative productivity-wise.

Motivation: I gained five pounds since I started the last challenge! Grrrrrrr… Also, my stamina has dropped down a bit. I know I’m not feeding my cells correctly – I doubt that they need wine or ice cream, for example. Also, I made the best actual networking connection ever with a working television writer I admire and need to get my writing act together.

1.      Drink More Water – I need to drink way more water than I do. The goal is to drink three 32 ounce bottles of water (96 ounces any way I can get them works, too) daily.

2.      Exercise – I was so great at exercising only a few months ago! I can get back to that. Spend at least 10 minutes a day most days (think 5 out of 7) doing an intense heartrate activity.

3.      Creativity: Writing – I want to complete the horror feature script that I am working on by the end of this. I’ll need to write at least 3 pages a day on average.

4.      Creativity: Acrylic Painting / Linocuts – I want to explore different styles of painting and linocut printmaking. I’d like to produce 1 new piece every week.

I’ll work on actively tracking how many veggies I eat and particularly NOT eating ice cream as I do later. If I can just nail down this water habit again, I’m positive that the eating habit will follow close behind.

Week 0 through Week 1:

Mini-Goal – Review outline for horror script again and find opportunities to make this story less formulaic.

Week 2 through Week 3:

Mini-Goal – Put on your jogging shoes and take Odin for a jog-walk at least once.

Week 4 through Week 5:

Mini-Goal – Put your completed draft down for at least three days and write a short story or poem.

OKAY! Let’s get started building my power armor!

• Like 2

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

4 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

I doubt that they need wine or ice cream, for example.

Oh I dunno about this one! 

Great looking challenge, good luck with it! :)

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

9 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

So… I completely drifted away from the last challenge, but that’s why we have opportunities to keep challenging ourselves, amiright?

Youreright. That's the spirit - you're Trashcan not a Trashcan't. 

The exercise choices sound god (especially Just Dance - I love that!) 

I hope the connection thing with the writer works out too. Exciting stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

16 hours ago, 18ck said:

Youreright. That's the spirit - you're Trashcan not a Trashcan't. 

The exercise choices sound god (especially Just Dance - I love that!) 

I hope the connection thing with the writer works out too. Exciting stuff. 

Haha, yes! I AM a trashcan!

I didn't manage to Just Dance yesterday but I did manage about 8k steps and that's not awful. I'll be dancing it up this morning before I take my pre-Zoom meeting shower cleanup session. I'll let you know which songs I am amazeballs at.

Also - WHOA about the writing stuff. I'm on fire! I just joined an actually great writer's group (it's my fourth in ten years and the other three were absolute rubbish).

• Like 1

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Zero week is zero week for a reason, haha.

No, it's not that I'm not doing the things. It's just that I'm not fully doing the things. The great thing is that I am making progress training myself to accept imperfection. That's making an outsized impact on my productivity.*

I thought about drinking 96 ounces of water on Tuesday and Wednesday, but only got to the halfway mark each day, as I forgot about halfway through the day that water drinking was important to me... Hmm. It might be time to go back to wearing those water drinking silicone wristbands that I did a couple of challenges ago. As for exercise, Tuesday was a modest, totally not intense walk and Wednesday was an even more casual walk but there was about 20 minutes of Just Dance happening in there. I was about to list my best dances as embarrassing, but everything about Just Dance is objectively embarrassing, so it doesn't matter. In order of accuracy with bonus thoughts for personal flair: "Old Town Road" by Little Nas X, "Just Talk" by Khalid, "Keep in Touch" by JD McCrary, "Another One Bites the Dust"** by Queen and "Don't Wanna Know" by Maroon 5.

*I'll write about that later, perhaps.

**Exhibiting the excellent genetically-endowed taste that he was born with, my son likes mama's dance to this one the best.

Creative-wise, I'm feeling great. I have been making progress with my writing, although my pages aren't happening at the moment. Instead, I'm back to the outlining board. It's a challenge to write a less-predictable horror script (something more in the vein of Midsommar, for example), so I'm spending more time reconfiguring. I did paint another painting in a different style between Monday and Tuesday, and am quite pleased. It may seem purely aesthetic, but I assure you that it represents me as an individual. It's interesting to try my hand at a different style.

Spoiler

SwV6VZl.jpg

Whew, that was a long post. Sheesh.

• Like 1

Wow - I love the painting. Good to hear you're doing Just Dance too. That's two games we have in common! I definitely recommend New Face by Psy. I'd never heard it before but it's such good fun to do that it has become a favourite. 

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

The painting is lovely :) I am intrigued by the water drinking wristband - is it a way of tracking water intake, or does it just serve as a reminder?

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 3/28/2021 at 1:48 AM, deftona said:

The painting is lovely :) I am intrigued by the water drinking wristband - is it a way of tracking water intake, or does it just serve as a reminder?

Thank you so much! I basically have some silicon wristbands that I bought in a multi-color pack from Amazon which I use to remind me to drink water. Each one represents one 32 ounce bottle of water. I remove one as I complete the bottles. It was really working to remind me to drink my water, until I stopped wearing them...

On 3/28/2021 at 1:19 AM, 18ck said:

Wow - I love the painting. Good to hear you're doing Just Dance too. That's two games we have in common! I definitely recommend New Face by Psy. I'd never heard it before but it's such good fun to do that it has become a favourite. 

Thanks! 

I do enjoy looking like a goofball while earning mad points for my crazy moves!

+++

Hey, everyone! I'm here. I actually have been mentally with NF since Sunday, but perhaps my heart wasn't in it enough to find 20 minutes to read and comment on my buddies' posts. I apologize for that.

Progress-wise, here goes:

Water - I seem to be having trouble taking off with the 96 ounces of water goal... perhaps I should find those wristbands and finally put them on my wrist? ...hold on... There we go! Much better. I'm sure that the water will just flow into me.

Exercise - I did it! Sort of. No intense exercise but for walks on Sunday and Monday. I did surpass my intense exercise goal yesterday, however. With my 28 pound babe secured to my chest, I went down a hill on a trail to a river, caught some great views of water chaotically crashing over river rocks as well as a hillside of California poppies (love!) before turning around and climbing back up. It wasn't the worst - it was about 900 ft in elevation over 1.25 miles, but with a baby on board the challenge was indisputable. Surprisingly, despite my lack of HIIT, jogging and such, I never found myself gasping for air. Yay me!

Writing - I'm going through a slight avoidance spell as far as words on the page go, but I attended my writer's group Zoom yesterday and got super-inspired. I've also had some ideas to make my current project more intriguing and less predictable. I just need to map them out.

Art - Piece one of the different art styles is done! I consider this one the zero week piece. I used some of my abstract-y brush stroke layering for the background of this one along with a glaze to soften up the colors somewhat. I painted a portrait of my friend's cats, whom she is low-key obsessed with (as I once was before I had a child, so I can relate). She is a fan, so I'm going to pack it up and ship it to Vermont! See below, if you wish.

Spoiler

8KAY2j4.jpg?1

+++

WOW. Long post. I need to post every other day at least, to keep my rambling thoughts to a minimum.

For today I intend to drink a bottle of water right after I finish this post and then two more later. I intend to do a 30+ minute exercise video that'll get my heartrate up - how about shadow boxing? Yes. That'll do. Arrrrrrrrt - I'm going to try more of a loose realism approach to a landscape like this guy's. We'll see. Writing - I commit to spending at least 75% of my son's naps today writing. As in, typing words into my laptop.

Ciao for now! Gotta catch up on y'all's posts.

• Like 2

Both your paintings are so lovely! The first one I could see as a duvet cover at ikea 😍 You do lovely fur ❤️ I still struggle with fur so much. And you killed it on the black kitties. Black animals are so hard! 

Great job on your exercising and you know what... I am giving you kudos towards your water goal because you thought out a solution and you went and got your bracelet's finally. I am now picturing a warrior with their intense war armour sporting some colourful jelly bracelets to remind them to drink water :D

• Thanks 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Well, well! I am back again, but took a few days off from NF to concentrate on other things. Thankfully, some of my actual goals lined up with what I was concentrating on, so it was all good. I'm just sorry that I have missed out on closer-to-real-time reading of shenanigans!

I am probably a day away from being finished with last week's art piece. It is a very large (30"x40") landscape painting done in a somewhat impressionistic style. I am neither a landscape painter nor a pseudo-Impressionist, so this is an interesting challenge for me. See work in progress below, if you care to:

Spoiler

5k46cPC.jpg?1

I've just gotten started on the impasto work, and there's a lot of canvas to cover, so it'll look quite more consistent and dynamic (I hope) by the time I'm done.

As for the rest of the stuff I've done, I've been a bit lazy on getting more intense workouts in, but I have been walking quite consistently with the little one. I have certainly been thinking about doing a dance or shadow boxing workout, but as we all know, thinking about something is quite different from doing it.

My water consumption has increased, albeit inconsistently. One day I'll pay attention to my wristbands and get all 96 ounces+ in, the next I'll forget I'm wearing the wristbands and only drink around 40 ounces. It's about a 2:1 ratio, so that's an improvement.

I'm also eating better, as a side note.

Altogether, I feel ok about my progress from week 1. I have SO much writing to catch up on today, so I'll need to save reading and commenting on everyone's most recent posts until AFTER I send out the email to my writer's group with my pages for tomorrow's meeting. But, hey! I'm part of a writing group, which is a vast improvement over the previous challenge's writing. Feelin' good.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TrashcanCarla said:

I've just gotten started on the impasto work, and there's a lot of canvas to cover, so it'll look quite more consistent and dynamic (I hope) by the time I'm done.

Oh nice so far! I am excited to see the progress you make.

39 minutes ago, TrashcanCarla said:

My water consumption has increased, albeit inconsistently. One day I'll pay attention to my wristbands and get all 96 ounces+ in, the next I'll forget I'm wearing the wristbands and only drink around 40 ounces. It's about a 2:1 ratio, so that's an improvement.

Woo get those water gains lol. Inconsistency in the right direction is still better than consistency in no water ;)

ALSO I THINK YOU SHOULD DANCE.

Dance Feeling It GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

ALSO I THINK YOU SHOULD DANCE

enthusiastic yes please GIF by Abbey Luck

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

, if you care to

I care to and its very good. Is that... Lavender? 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, 18ck said:

I care to and its very good. Is that... Lavender? 

OH, thank you! It's actually a Texas landscape - the flowers are bluebonnets which have big blooms  that are simply lovely. I'm not in love with Texas, but just thought that the landscape photograph which I was inspired by suited the symbolism we were looking for in the piece that would go over our television. That all sounds pretty "huh?", I'm sure, but here's the finished painting below. I just hung it up yesterday afternoon and am quite happy with it! I'm now working on my first portrait (a self-portrait, of course) and it's going okay, so far. Skin tones are notoriously difficult to capture, but I'm doing my best. My biggest worry is painting a younger-looking version of myself.

Spoiler

4yOEsve.jpg

I decided to go with a more illustration-style / vaguely impressionistic look with hopefully the impression of movement. I decided to keep things a little more dark and muted than they are in reality, to capture the more of the muddy remembrance of the thing rather than the of-the-moment experience. And yes - that's a diaper to the right. I paint in my son's currently underused nursery.

My water consumption is up! Yay for that. The bracelets are working!

Exercise is meh, but I'm walking. I do hikes a couple of times a week, which typically keeps me in a sustained moderate intensity heartrate for at least 40 minutes, so that's not awful. I'm surprised that my stamina hasn't dropped off the cliff without my HIIT workouts, but I suppose that as a one-sample experiment, I can anecdotally attest that HIIT workouts in the past have had the positive affect of reducing my getting winded when carrying a 28 pound infant up a long hill while hiking.

My eating has definitely improved since we started doing the pre-made meals thing. And, my how my creative output has skyrocketed, right? With 2 hours less of cooking and cleaning to do, the canvas is my oyster! Also, I did get my pages out to my writing group. I am extremely pleased that they were so complimentary and interested in my story. Two of them were staffed on popular television shows and one of them is just an all-around awesome guy (he's a palliative care doctor as well as an agented film writer). Seriously, I'm over the moon.

OKAY! Off to see what y'all have been up to and comment on it!

+++

I intend to DANCE! 💃💃💃

I intend to keep drinking plenty of water!

I intend to write 4-6 pages of my horror script - the first scene would be nice as I started later haha!

• Like 1

Wow a lot of good in that update. 

Love the painting and can't wait to see your self portrait. I struggle with skin tones as well sometimes. I seem to paint hands alright but maybe they aren't a real skin tone. Who knows lol. I have painted 2 self portraits, 3 sets of hands, 1 macro portrait of a nose, and 1 singular hand. I should try doing a portrait or appendage of someone who isn't Caucasian. I am sure that changes the whole formula.

Great job on your water in take! 

And that just sounds like an overall exciting update about your writing group. Its nice to have a community who is excited about what you have to offer.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, TrashcanCarla said:

bluebonnets

*googles bluebonnets*

*is pleased with the pictures thereby obtained*

Anyway, the end result is great. Do we get to see the self-portrait? For some reason I'm picturing you tying the brush to a selfie stick but that doesn't even make sense as a joke. The writing sounds like it's really powering along too. Seriously impressed. 

On 4/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, TrashcanCarla said:

The bracelets are working!

Multiple bracelets? Eh?

Anyway, lote of good stuff happening here: the food, the water, the hiking, the dancing... do you have plans to reintroduce HIIT or other more vigorous exercise with some of the time freed up by the recipe box? Art is good and everything but have you ever seen an impressionist painter with washboard abs? A romantic poet with rippling biceps? You have not! I rest my case! 

Bonjour. How's life in the commonwealth these days? 

On 4/22/2021 at 12:27 AM, 18ck said:

Bonjour. How's life in the commonwealth these days? 

Life in the Commonwealth is fantastic! That self-portrait is going to take ages to complete to my satisfaction (dammit, faces are so dynamic in tone and color!), but everything else is going swimmingly. I have been thoroughly absorbed by the screenplay I'm working on at present, which is why I have been utterly missing on NF. Honestly, I just don't have the bandwidth to write furiously, take care of a baby who discovered he's bipedal and to check in and read things on here. Not at the moment, anyway.

I think I'll just have to lay off NF until I get this story done and have better organized my free time (irony alarm going off).

Are you going to check out this May's How the Light Gets In festival speakers? I figured that with your philosophical interests it may be up your ghoul swarmed alley.

Honestly, it's almost like you think your baby is more important than us. Priorities! 

• Haha 1

The festival sounds good btw. I'd never heard of it because I haven't heard of anything. Bookmatked for later. 

17 hours ago, 18ck said:

The festival sounds good btw. I'd never heard of it because I haven't heard of anything. Bookmatked for later. 

Cool. I also recommend this podcast, since you haven't heard of anything. https://philosophybites.com/

Okay. I'm off to Twitter! @quinnhiggs

6 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

Okay. I'm off to Twitter! @quinnhiggs

This is like telling a recovering alcoholic you're off down the pub, but OK. I'm @colinlusk and ill look you up next time my will weakens and I log in. 

• Like 1