KCAleece Picks Up the Pace

I always struggle to start these things, so let's just pretend I had some kind of cool opening line, okay?

Last challenge went surprisingly well for me, despite the fact I was pretty far into my deep dark hole of despair when I started it. While nothing has actually changed (yet) - I still haven't found a better job, graduated, gotten pregnant, or met any of my other goals - I am pleasantly surprised to report that I'm actually feeling...cheerful? Optimistic? Is that even possible? It has honestly been years since I felt like there was any real hope (legit think I've been on the downhill part of the roller coaster of life since about fall 2018) and suddenly there's a pinprick of faraway light at the end of the tunnel. 

I just hope it's not a train.

This also means I feel pretty good about, as in the title, picking up the pace a bit. I'm going to try not to mess with last challenge's "category quest" set up too much since it worked so well, but also keep pushing myself forward - I was definitely getting a little bit lazy by the end of last challenge because it was so much "anything goes" and I could have done more than I did.

Quest 1: Move!

I got decent at moving around more frequently last challenge, but it's been 99% all short YouTube yoga and family walks (usually 2-3 miles, not terrible, and we live in a very hilly place so it does get the heart going sometimes - but I also know I'm not getting a ton of benefit for the hour or so it takes to do it at toddler pace).

1.  Two workouts a week - again, counting anything that gets my "intensity minutes" tracker thing on my cheapo Garmin watch going (helpful to tell if my yoga/walk is actually doing enough to get my heart rate going, also sometimes records activities I hadn't thought about like playing "Mommy Monster" where I roar and try to chase my kid by running and dinosaur stomping at the same time) And one of those workouts should be...

2. Go running at least once a week, even if it's only a mile (or less)! RE says I shouldn't go more than 14 miles a week (running and walking combined) but at my level that shouldn't be difficult to stay under. 

Note for this quest: This might have to change after I talk to a surgeon (waiting to hear consultation date, but hopefully in the next few weeks) about repairing issues with my c-section scar - it never healed quite right and may be a factor in our fertility issues, among other things. If the surgeon says I should stop doing something, obviously I will stop doing that thing.

Quest 2: Eating (slightly) Better

So I'm slightly up on my weight (not bad, but a few pounds - still under 150 at my last weigh-in, but barely) and I'm really starting to feel the pull towards fitted summer dresses. If nothing else in my life is going well, at least I can look damn cute while navigating it, right? Plus, you know, having energy and all those other things I'm supposed to say I care about more than fashion (but if I'm being honest, it's like 50-50). I'd really like to get back to the 145 or less range. Also, maybe it'll help convince my kid to eat more than just cheese and raisins?

1. eat 3 meals a day, which for me mostly means "eat breakfast". Doctor says my natural 2-meals-a-day habit isn't good for pregnancy, so I'd better get used to it now. I've been doing okay with my overnight oats, but even just grabbing a banana will count.

2. Avoid drinking all my calories! No more than 6 sodas a week. This has been creeping back up (even though I'm only drinking the mini 8 ounce cans these days) and I want to make sure I don't backslide. That's only one day a week without, surely I can manage that without great stress, and I have an eye on dropping it to 5 before the end of the challenge. Also I'll also cap myself at 2 beers a week even though I'm pretty sure I'm rarely over that anyway.

3. Eat more plants (particularly fruits and veggies, I'm good at eating grains hahaha). This should get easier as we enter spring/summer. Hard part here is that I'm not honestly sure what my baseline is - I feel like it's not a lot at all, but it's also not zero - so I'm going to keep a food journal for the rest of week 0 and set an improvement goal from there. Having this on my mind does mean I'm more likely to eat these foods during my baseline week, but I'm going to try to be as honest as possible with myself about if I normally would have eaten that or not.

Quest 3: Language

Still the primary driving factor behind grad school and the career issues. The idea here is that more time in the target language = smoother interviews and an easier admissions to/time in my next grad program (yes, I'm the special kind of person who has a second MA all picked out already, it'd be stupid helpful for my career to have both and there is an excellent local program that will allow me to earn my degree in "Romance Languages" rather than just Spanish or just French).

1. 5 minutes of listening or practice speaking in either Spanish or French OR 3 pages of reading in either. Daily and could be mixed (for example, a 3 minute French video and 3 minute Spanish conversation with my husband would count as 6 minutes total for that day and thus a checkmark.)

2. Weekly journal entries in either Spanish or French, minimum 3 pages in the little notebook I just grabbed for this purpose (it's a pretty small notebook, I promise haha). All 3 pages don't have to be written at once, as long as they're written in the same week, but that could also be just one longer session.

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

A great challenge. Fitted summer dresses always make me feel happier!

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 3/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, Artemis Prime said:

"Mommy Monster" sounds like a fantastic workout!

It definitely can be! He's recently realized that daddy can run a lot faster than he can, so now the game is for daddy to pick him up and run away from the Mommy Monster while the toddler squeals at me over daddy's shoulder. 😂 It's hilarious! Cuts the game a little bit shorter though because daddy gets tired of sprinting with a wiggling almost 40 pound weight in his arms - can't blame him!

On 3/23/2021 at 11:28 AM, Elastigirl said:

A great challenge. Fitted summer dresses always make me feel happier!

Thanks! There's something very confidence-boosting about a great fitted dress :) I'm pretty straight up and down (just genetics, a lot of my female relatives are also basically rectangles) so I keep on saying I'm going to try wearing a corset just to make a waist for myself, but haven't done it yet. A good one is so expensive! Maybe for my next birthday, but that's not until September.

Alright, let's see how I've been doing:

Nothing yet due to lots of rain and my one yoga workout apparently not being "intense" enough for my watch to register that I was doing something different from normal, hahaha. I kinda thought that would happen though - I've been sticking to the beginner ones because, well, I feel like I am very much a beginner, but I often don't have to breath hard, break a sweat, etc. Maybe I should try some intermediate routines? That sounds scary but I guess that's what the tracker is telling me to do...

Note about the surgeon: Through some issues with the clinic's schedule, I actually got shoved in super early - I'll be meeting with them today at 3pm! So I should at least know if I'm getting any more major restrictions (hopefully) for the next few weeks, which will help me plan this quest a bit better.

Yesterday's weight on home scale: 147.2 (a bit of a surprise because my official medical weigh-in on March 15th was 149.5 - I'm still using their weight as my "real" one but it's good to know that the scales differ that much)

And a few measurements to go with that, seamstress-style:

waist: 32.5 inches
belly pooch: 38 inches when standing normally, 38.75 inches when fully relaxed/extended

hips/butt: 40 inches

upper arm: 9.75 inches

thigh: 22.5 inches
calf: 14.75 inches

I've gotten breakfast each day,  though sometimes that means a very small lunch (there are worse things) and I skipped my soda yesterday so as long as I stick to not having more than 1 a day I'll meet that goal for this week, yay!

So far my food journal shows that I really only eat plants at dinner time, which makes some sense: this is usually when I have the most time to prep and cook and the only meal that really gets planned out. Also holy cow I eat more sugar than I realized (I knew it was bad but man...that's really bad).

I've decided to focus more on the Spanish here because that's still, statistically speaking, the direction my career will end up going. So yesterday I listened to a video from this cool Spanish cooking channel I found on YouTube - I kinda want to make the bread they were doing because it looks really cool and sounds tasty, but I have to admit that I was listening while also cooking a different recipe (I was making dinner at the time) so I wasn't giving it my full attention the way I should have been.

And journal writing has commenced, but only barely - slightly more than half a page written thus far.

• Like 1

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

So let's start with the big news: the surgeon consultation! Long story short - yes, I'm very likely to be having surgery to repair my c-section scar which never healed properly  and may be making my entire uterus slightly toxic (oh joy). However, this surgeon is the only one who can do this procedure in the entire state because it's a super new procedure (it was only developed about 5 years ago) and there simply haven't been many surgeons trained to do it yet. This means I'm not likely to get into the OR until June. The surgeon has requested more OR time because of this backup, but she doesn't know if the hospital will approve it yet - if they do, that'll move up and if they don't, well, 3 months isn't god awful. I don't have to make any changes to my diet or lifestyle plans right now, but she wants us to meet again "a few weeks before the surgery" to see where I'm at and maybe make some changes then.

Apparently my less than pleasant drive to the surgeon yesterday was enough to ping my watch 🤦‍♀️ It was raining really hard and I had a pickup on my tail honking for a few miles because he desperately wanted to go faster than I was (despite the fact I was already speeding). Guess I was more stressed than I realized?

Plan is to get in my first run today even if it's under a mile, it's a nice day and this is probably the easiest time for a while because I can just fit it in after work but before I pick up the toddler from preschool!

Breakfast: check
Soda/beer moderation: check (at only 4 sodas for the week so far and 0 beers, woohoo!)
Food journal: still really only eating plants at dinner, still eating way too much sugar. Maybe that's where I should focus instead?

I didn't get my language practice in yesterday - think I might need to make a specific time slot for that and probably earlier in the day too (I have a tendency to say I'll do it after I get the toddler to sleep and then I'm so tired myself nothing actually happens during that time). 

Glad you found a surgeon who could do the surgery. Kind of scary when they say things like make your uterus toxic. 

We drove to my inlaws yesterday, about  a 45 minute trip, and it seemed there were lots of inpatient people. People passing our car when we were going over the speed limit. In the line at the stop light, there was a car ahead of us, and a car behind. The light turned green, and the car behind us immediately honked. The car in the front hadn't even had a second to start. Maybe people who have been cooped up finally got their vaccine, and they need to get EVERYWHERE RIGHT NOW!😉

• Like 1

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 3/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, Elastigirl said:

Glad you found a surgeon who could do the surgery. Kind of scary when they say things like make your uterus toxic. 

We drove to my inlaws yesterday, about  a 45 minute trip, and it seemed there were lots of inpatient people. People passing our car when we were going over the speed limit. In the line at the stop light, there was a car ahead of us, and a car behind. The light turned green, and the car behind us immediately honked. The car in the front hadn't even had a second to start. Maybe people who have been cooped up finally got their vaccine, and they need to get EVERYWHERE RIGHT NOW!😉

For sure! So it's something called an isthmocele, which is basically a hole inside my c-section scar where it never grew together but instead each side healed separately. The means it made like a little shelf/cave where lining and fluid and stuff is accumulating instead of draining the way that it should every month. That's then basically...fermenting, for lack of a better word, and that stuff is what's technically the toxic part. But its mere existence makes the rest of the uterus inhospitable. At least, that' s the possibility. There is some evidence that's exactly what's happening with me, but we can't know for sure. It is fully possible that they'll fix it and we'll still have fertility issues because that wasn't actually happening or it wasn't big enough to be the only issue (my isthmocele is pretty small, actually right under the minimum usually recommended for surgical repair) but because I'm having so many symptoms they're going forward with the repair anyway. 

As for the challenge:

On Friday I went for my first run of the challenge. It was only 1.14 miles but I conquered The Hill! Hahaha, okay, that's just what I call it in my head and it's admittedly not the steepest, longer, or toughest hill in the neighborhood. But I've been getting about two thirds of the way up to where there's a little tiny plateau and then talking myself out of continuing (especially because that last third is the WORST part by far, it gets way steeper than the beginning part). But I slowed way the heck down - which was also super hard, basically the only part of running that comes naturally to me is keeping a steady pace, and apparently my brain and legs really struggle to be equally steady at other paces, if that makes any sense to anyone else - and followed the rule of "as long as you keep running form, speed doesn't matter" and chugged up that thing the whole way! Felt like I was literally going to fall over and die at the end, but I did it! Woohoo!

Then today we walked to the grocery store for a few odds and ends we needed. The kind of classic run where you go with 3 things in mind and leave with 7 in the bag 😄 But it ended up being 1.5 miles (a little longer than it had to be, because about a few minutes in I realized we forgot our masks, so we had to go back) and plenty to ping the watch, especially while I was pushing the toddler in his big stroller (to help carry the groceries) uphill. My watch is set to start the week on Mondays, so I'm debating if I call that the end of week zero or the first workout of week one. I kinda forgot today was Sunday and had been thinking I had until today to wrap up zero week...

Soda/beer moderation:I managed to end week zero with only 4 sodas and 0 beers, yay!! I did have a beer today but no soda, I think I'm already going to move my goal down to 5 a week. It's an extra good fit because I just bought a new pack of the mini cans I've been drinking that came with 10 cans, so that's minimum 2 weeks right there.

Eat more plants: Yup, basically I eat plants more or less once a day. For now, I'm going to say eat plants at least 9 times a week (to be clear: I'm counting eating a full serving of two different plants at one meal as two times). Two more should be pretty manageable and than I feel like I might take on some of that sugar problem...

So, as I was slightly afraid of, daily practice is proving to be a hurdle. For that, I'm introducing a new rule: if I miss a day, I can do at least double the time the next day and count it as both. Also a new...guideline, let's say: if I do beginner level videos, I have to either do two of them or follow it up with a video better suited to my level. I watched a pretty good beginner video on Saturday but I also know that didn't do me nearly as much good as the higher level video I watched afterwards.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kcaleece said:

On Friday I went for my first run of the challenge. It was only 1.14 miles but I conquered The Hill! Hahaha, okay, that's just what I call it in my head and it's admittedly not the steepest, longer, or toughest hill in the neighborhood. But I've been getting about two thirds of the way up to where there's a little tiny plateau and then talking myself out of continuing (especially because that last third is the WORST part by far, it gets way steeper than the beginning part).

HOORAY for conquering the Hill! I always find it harder to get up the final part of a hill if it plateaus at all. It's like my brain goes into "we're running on flat now" mode and when it immediately has to switch back to "oh no, it's still a hill," my legs have a little mutiny where they just go, "nope, you said we were done with this hill."

8 hours ago, kcaleece said:

My watch is set to start the week on Mondays, so I'm debating if I call that the end of week zero or the first workout of week one. I kinda forgot today was Sunday and had been thinking I had until today to wrap up zero week...

I run my challenges from Monday to Sunday because that's how my planner is set up. I wouldn't worry so much about fudging the days however it suits you best. Experimenting with "rules" to find what works for you is kind of NF's jam.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 3/29/2021 at 7:29 AM, Artemis Prime said:

HOORAY for conquering the Hill! I always find it harder to get up the final part of a hill if it plateaus at all. It's like my brain goes into "we're running on flat now" mode and when it immediately has to switch back to "oh no, it's still a hill," my legs have a little mutiny where they just go, "nope, you said we were done with this hill."

I run my challenges from Monday to Sunday because that's how my planner is set up. I wouldn't worry so much about fudging the days however it suits you best. Experimenting with "rules" to find what works for you is kind of NF's jam.

Thanks!! It also doesn't help that the one mile mark on my route is right before the plateau, so it's an extra easy point to stop. I keep on thinking I should re-plan my route so it's also not the end point, but I live in a super hilly neighborhood and simply am not very good at running yet, so there's not really a better option (that I've found, at least).

I've also been thinking about my week start date and realized how scattered my life is hahaha - I live in a traditionally Sunday-starting country and my watch is set up to start the weeks on Sundays. For some reason though, my watch records the "intensity minutes" total each week starting on Monday?? and my previous schooling has me used to Monday starts too (international program). And my grad school week runs Thursday-Wednesdays just because they can, not even kidding!

Thinking I might use a Monday start just because then I don't have to split my weekend, which can help a lot with planning...not fully decided yet, but that feels like a reasonable idea right now at least.

Challenge Updates:

The toddler and I went for a 2.5 mile walk yesterday! It was colder than I expected but I was trying to hurry home the whole time (dinner was in the oven!) so I worked up a good sweat, hahaha. Also the boy is up to 39 pounds and insisted on using the stroller that likes to turn itself to the left, so I was really feeling it in that left shoulder for a bit after we got home.

Soda/beer moderation: current week count is 1 beer and 1 soda, so I'm off to a great start!!

Eat more plants: If I count Monday as the start of the week, I've eaten plants I think 3 times now? Might be 4 but I honestly don't remember, so I'm going with 3 because I figure it's better to eat more than needed anyway right? I know on Monday I split a banana and some apple slices with my son at lunch, and then yesterday at dinner we had green beans and I also made a corn and black bean side dish too. My kid has decided he loves black beans? That's literally the only thing he ate last night for dinner (picking around the corn even!). Not going to complain though, at least it's healthy.

Monday I watched like 10 minutes of an intermediate level Spanish video but was admittedly not giving it my full attention - I got like 70% of it but that's also about how much attention I was giving it.

Yesterday I practiced my conversational skills with my husband! Not sure how long it was, but it was way more than 5 minutes. I did...okay. That's definitely the hardest skill for me but that's also pretty normal (usually reading and listening are the most developed and speaking and writing tend to be slower to progress). 

No journal writing yet but I'm hoping to find some time to work on that today (major grad school assignment is due today too so getting that done will help a lot!)

I usually track my goals from Monday-Sunday. Unless, of course, I decide to start on Sunday😉

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 2:37 PM, Elastigirl said:

I usually track my goals from Monday-Sunday. Unless, of course, I decide to start on Sunday😉

Haha, yeah that sounds about right! After this weekend I think I'm definitely going to stick to Monday for the rest of this challenge, and if it works out really well maybe I'll keep it like that moving forward.

Whew! It was a crazy busy weekend. Friday night we left for a 1 night camping trip - between lockdowns, finances, and other issues, we've decided to skip any big family vacations/travel for the next few years and instead we're working our way through all 38 Missouri state parks that offer basic camping. Since we didn't have much time, we decided to knock out the park that's closest to us (less than an hour away) for our second "checkmark". We got there at 3pm on Friday, went on two hikes and discovered the "lucky scavenger hunt" tree, ate hot dogs and way too many smores, counted the stars until the stars slowly outnumbered our ability to count them, and then finally went to sleep in our tent. In the morning, we went on another hike around a very small lake, played on a playground, and generally hung out and enjoyed the outdoors until we had to clear out at 2pm.

20210402_190751.thumb.jpg.da5b08432bacb1a8da3017df9e4fd30f.jpg my son hyped up on "campfire hot dogs" and marshmallows

Then we had to unpack/clean up, dye Easter eggs, and prepare for today's festivities! The Easter Bunny visited us last night so we got to hunt eggs at home this morning and enjoy a quick pancake breakfast before heading across town to visit grandma and grandpa for lunch and another egg hunt. I freely admit I had some struggle moments while hanging out with my heavily pregnant sister-in-law - if my third pregnancy had been viable, I would be due in less than 3 weeks - but my fertility issues and pregnancy losses aren't her fault of course so I did my best to handle it quietly. Now we're finally back home after a light dinner and holy heck am I not ready for Monday but here it comes anyway...

Challenge Updates:

No run, technically, but considering I went on 3 "extra" hikes over the weekend I'm counting that as good enough.

Breakfast: check...mostly. I missed at least one day.
Soda/beer moderation: I had 2 beers but way less than 5 sodas, yay!

Eat more plants: I did a crappy job of counting but I think  I got this one or at least was super close. 

Again, I did a poor job of tracking, but I think I'm only one day behind if I use the "can make up time the next day" method? Might be two days behind, going to be honest - it was an emotionally difficult weekend (we thought I might have been pregnant because my period was 2 days late, but I wasn't) and I kinda said "screw it" to a lot of things to get through it

Journal-wise, I wrote 1 page this last week. Not bad, better than nothing, but way short of the goal.

• Like 2

I love the camping through the states idea. Looks like your son is having a great time.

I think it is normal to have those feeling of loss  and sorrow  when you see your sister in law. Sounds like you did a good job of dealing with it.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, Elastigirl said:

I love the camping through the states idea. Looks like your son is having a great time.

I think it is normal to have those feeling of loss  and sorrow  when you see your sister in law. Sounds like you did a good job of dealing with it.

Thanks, but I know I could have handled it better. My "dealing with it" meant beer, isolating myself outside for awhile, eating close to my body weight in Easter chocolate, and resolving that when I do finally get pregnant again, I'm not cheaping out on the maternity clothing like I did with my first pregnancy. I really loved my sister-in-law's dress and if I'm fighting this hard to get to that position, gods damn it all I am going to enjoy every single aspect of it that I can. 

Also I finally made a list of all the Missouri basic campgrounds and it turns out there's really 39 (well, 41 if you count the "state historical sites" that aren't technically parks, but I figure 39 is enough!) Whoops? Not sure if I miscounted or if the first website I looked at missed one, either is possible.

No update yesterday because I got called in for a second interview...this afternoon!! This is a slightly questionable but hopefully good opportunity; it's much lower pay, benefits remain a big question too, conservative rural district...but it's also full-time Spanish, levels 1-4, looks like a lot of curriculum control, and an "island position" meaning I'm technically my own administrator. They only gave me about 36 hours notice but I'm hopeful that means they're looking to make a fast decision too - and, if I'm being honest, I'm hoping they're far enough outside of the city that I won't have as much competition (they're about 25 minutes east of the metro area, but I live on the very eastern edge of the metro anyway so it's actually slightly closer to my house than my current job). There is a definite cultural difference - this principal on the phone was clearly far less impressed with my degrees than I'm used to city-based principals being and I noticed a lot of references to Christianity on their website that would never fly in the city schools I'm used to - but I grew up in that kind of household and know how to play those games reasonably well. While it does make me a smidge nervous that I'll misstep in the interview due to a difference in expectations, I'm reasonably certain I can handle it (and in my experience, as long as you can get past the interview in a place like that, they're more willing to work with you being a bit "different" once you're hired).

Challenge Updates:

Nothing yet but that's because I cancelled my plans for running yesterday to prep for that interview.

Breakfast: check, even though I'm not doing great at lunch now...
Soda/beer moderation: I really wanted a beer yesterday but didn't end up having one, yay! I did have a soda though.

Eat more plants: Could definitely be doing better here. This is a struggle right now due to a combo of being stressed/upset about things and habit. But I did get some plantains in at dinner last night, which is a plant so yay.

Purposefully skipped this yesterday for interview prep as well, though I'll probably do some listening at least today to "warm up" for the interview.

• Like 1

OMG you all, I know I haven't updated in forever but there has been SO much going on, I'm literally working all day and then collapsing into bed lately. So grad school is hitting its most feverish moments - semester ends in 2  weeks, so all my major projects and essays are all in full swing. I got my second covid shot which is making me feel a bit nauseated (but thankfully it's just that and a sore arm, not too awful) and I finally got my Crohn's meds changed out which is slowly taking affect but not quickly enough honestly and I have a good deal of symptoms there too (bloating, running to the bathroom twenty billion times a day, gut cramps, etc.). There's a stomach bug going around my son's preschool but he hasn't brought that one home yet, crossing our fingers we can avoid adding that to the mess...

We got a bit of a surprise at my last RE appointment and discovered I was growing mature follicles on both ovaries this cycle, so we thought we were going to take this month "off" but we decided to go ahead and shoot for our second IUI even though we still haven't been able to solve that isthmocele issue yet. Finally finished those appointments for the month yesterday, now just to wait and see if it works. But! I just learned super late last night that insurance decided to approve our second request for coverage for that isthmocele repair surgery, thank the gods!! And I got that scheduled today for June 2nd, which feels so far away but is also much closer than I thought we'd get - they told me in March that they were scheduling for June into July, and given that insurance took weeks I really thought I'd be scheduled in July or August, so I'm not actually complaining about June 2nd! I know the RE says the isthmocele is only a factor and that this surgery won't "cure" our fertility problems, but based on the information I do have, I genuinely feel like this is both a bigger factor than he's willing to admit and I also believe we probably can't be successful until this thing is fixed, so I'm definitely celebrating getting it on the calendar at least.

Also...I GOT THE JOB!!! Woohoo!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳 Second interview pulling through for my first full-time foreign language job with absolutely ZERO other classes to worry about!! But - here's the extra interesting point - they're not giving me the job as posted and advertised. Instead, the principal was so intrigued by my French certification that he's giving me Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and charging me to design and write a full curriculum this summer to introduce French 1 to their school for the first time in over 10 years! This is doubly extra exciting in some ways, because I am being given full and complete, 100% control over everything. The principal straight up said he was looking to me to teach him how to run a "modern world languages department" so I can do literally anything I want, order any textbook I want, grade any way I want - complete blank check. This is the sort of opportunity most teachers only dream about getting!

The catch? He wants me to start implementing this new French course in August. That gives me 4 months to build a fully functional program out of nothing. For anyone reading this without an education background, that is a ludicrously short timeline. Usually these sorts of things take YEARS and are worked on by entire teams of people. For a single person to build it from absolute scratch in 4 months? Put it this way, when I took this problem to my grad program director for help, she laughed and told me to just steal a curriculum from another district because they're asking for the impossible. My gut feeling is that they're not expecting a fully modern curriculum (new district is a small town that the principal openly admits has "been too comfortable with the status quo and has therefore fallen behind the times") and they're thinking I'll just make like a pacing guide or something like that (a very short document that explains what main topics are being taught when), but damn, that's not enough to build a solid program on. There's definitely some major updating of expectations to be done here for sure!

So in terms of challenge updates, there's not a lot, but...

We went for a good 3 mile walk as a family a few days ago, but it's been raining pretty heavily ever since. Tomorrow is supposed to be the last rain day for a bit though, so I'm hoping to feel good enough to get in a tiny run over the weekend, even if it's only down the street and back.

Breakfast: questionable. I feel like forcing myself to eat breakfast is making me eat too much for the day - like instead of re-organizing my calories, I've just crammed more in, which is definitely a problem for my other goals! Still working on finding a really good solution to this one, especially when I just frankly am not hungry most mornings.

Soda/beer moderation: I did really well here for a while - ended up only have 7 sodas over 2 weeks' time, so well under my goal limit! But it's definitely gone back up with my workload, so now I'm like right at that limit again. Trying not to go over is my only focus right now and if I can lower it again, great, but at least I'll hit my minimum goal (or at least that's the plan) 

Eat more plants: Also very questionable. I'm doing an even worse job of tracking it though, so I'm not entirely sure how far below the goal I'm falling. May need to revamp this one next week, I'm pondering possibilities.

Well I mean I've technically worked on language every day, but almost all those days were focused on the language I teach, not the language I need to learn! Haha I think I'm going to pull back on this requirement a little bit just because I do need that balance especially after staring at language curriculum documents and materials - just need to decide if I'm going to focus on input or output, not sure right now.

Congrats on the job!! Sounds like a good idea to talk with the principal about reasonable expectations for the curriculum

Whew, alright, so a quick post just so I'm not totally abandoning my thread here.

It got crazy busy quick. Grad school semester is wrapping up tonight with a 1 hour oral presentation and then final edits/turn in of a 27 page essay. Then I'll be on a "break" until May 17th ("break" because I'll be doing some thesis work during that time, but I won't have an official class to worry about it).

Curriculum work for the new job is...going, I suppose. The principal basically said I could present anything I wanted to present, which does take a little pressure off I suppose but some of the work has to be done before I can even begin lesson planning anyway so it doesn't exactly take a heck of a lot off my plate, just the final few steps. Which is still something, don't get me wrong! I have a vague calendar laid out but just split up the year evenly based on how many units I'm thinking about maybe having? But I need to determine that for sure, which necessitates me laying out topics and flow of standards next. Haven't had time because, again, 1 hour oral presentation and 27 page essay due tonight. I also still have some paperwork to do and several background checks to set up, which I find annoying as heck (I had to do all of this to get my license, why are you making me do it again??) but I have officially resigned from my current job, which is a slightly terrifying limbo to be in.

New Crohn's meds are working, probably - still symptomatic but it's a little more hit or miss than it was so I'm appreciating any improvement. I'm still only on dose 2 and I've been told that it can take as many as 4 doses before you start getting the full effect (takes a long time to build up in your system) so I'm taking any improvement as a good sign that it's on its way, even though I won't be up to dose #4 until July.

In terms of my challenge - well, I'm still doing well on the soda at least. Pretty sure I've been under 6 a week every week, though I've been doing a bad job of counting I at least know when I bought new packages and the math works out there. We've gone on several family walks but I haven't done any more runs, and I completely failed at eating more plants. Doing pretty solid on breakfast though. The last few days I've been eating toast for breakfast and then I'm definitely still hungry for lunch, so maybe I was just picking things that were too filling before? I'll have to figure out if the toast is worth it nutrition-wise though or if I need to go back to the previous choices and just revamp somewhere else. 

Wrapping up this challenge by limping across the finish line though and preparing the next one! I'm definitely cutting back in terms of quests on the next challenge but am planning on trying to get something going for it...

• Like 1